Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

4 minutes ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

Plaza Japan just had stock of Roy but sold out in min. I didn’t catch it until 3 min too late

Yep missed it too. Saw the email notification, but all too late. I had already turned off my web monitor of Plaza Japan, as I never thought they'd restock at all. Oh well... I already had to purchase mine from Amazon JP reseller, so no more funds to buy another. :(

16 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

You want that, yes, but if someone who doesn't care enough to look at it is punching "CENTER" into the computer, that's not going to put the skull where it needs to be.  We can fix it ourselves, but I don't really expect Bandai to manually center it where it should be.

If you don't want to see how off center it is, I suggest not looking at it from this angle. :unknw:

20201209_193843.thumb.jpg.c65df69724da4c0ee63fb7eb31d4df38.jpg

My first Roy order was in the mail yesterday so I took my time getting acquainted & inspecting the toy as I usually do upon every unboxing. At least on my copy, it feels like the build quality, fit & finish isn’t as good as previous releases. I got the same paint rub as Wotafa’s copy seen on his Youtube review which suggests to me that we have a clumsy hand working down the assembly line. Also on my copy, the extending neck joint (the grey part inside if you pop the head) is way too loose that it might as well be a freaking bobblehead. Hey, that’s something new.. It is my fourth DX VF purchase and I’ve never been this unsatisfied.  Bad finish overall including specks of black paint on yellow and yellow on black. Man, Bandai sucks for me right now.

It looked pretty darn good sittin’ in the plastic tray for a minute or two, and that was it. Don’t think I am being overly nitpicky, I do take into account these are mass-produced. Hope y’all copy is better than mine.

19 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

I’m good with just 3 VF-1S Roys:  1 to open, 1 to keep MISB, and 1 just in case.

1 to open and 1 sealed is where I stayed, grabbed my second from Luna yesterday. But I totally get having 3, I did that years ago with the 25G renewal.

Edited by Ridden001

On 12/8/2020 at 2:56 PM, spanner said:

I'm a bit jelly of all you guys who already have theirs! Really glad I found one on Manda and put in a claim against NY.

My DHL delivery eta has now revised to Monday 14th.. looks like it got delayed a little in Japan. Oh well.. I'll be on holidays by then so I'll be home to receive it.

I’d like to know how many claims NY has been carpet bombed with.  

They deserve it, my claim was submitted December 2nd, glad you got your claim in also.

18 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

So, something to keep in mind about that skull, it's not symmetrical, and the skull isn't actually centered in the design.  

What I suspect has been happening for a long time is that the logo is being centered by its longest and widest dimensions, which are not actually centered, or level.

1506166441_ss(2020-12-09at12_22.58).thumb.jpg.1fe3fb8c0dee8d45512418786ef01b17.jpg'

The bottom edge of the logo is not level at all, and trying to level it based on that will give you the infamous tilted skull we've had for years.  The bones are also not centered on the skull, so printing the logo based on centering it from the widest point will give you just about the same amount of off-centered-ness you see on your Roy.

You are correct with your description and graphic measurement.

I think his is way off center though.  I’ll check mine tomorrow, if we find that it’s release wide and off center that much for all DX Roy’s, I’ll sell both of mine immediately and wait for the movie version.

19 hours ago, Actar said:

Does anyone feel like the Skull Squadron emblem on the heatshield is slightly off center? Is it supposed to be like this?

20201209_155856.thumb.jpg.cccce3a6214469ac74a1469dc9e25ead.jpg

Just checking in case I can give you good news, did you confirm that the waist is not slightly swiveled to the left?  I’m asking because it looks like the black heat shield isn’t lined up with the black part on the lower fuselage. (The anti glare section for the pilot) between the two Yaw vernier’s.  If the waist was accidentally not set straight by Bandai, it might be great news for you if all you need to do is turn it.

not sure, but I thought it’s worth a shot to check.

Edited by Ridden001

6 minutes ago, Ridden001 said:

You are correct with your description and graphic measurement.

I think his is way off center though.  I’ll check mine tomorrow, if we find that it’s release wide and off center that much for all DX Roy’s, I’ll sell both of mine immediately and wait for the movie version.

If you need confirmation if DYRL Roy will also be misaligned it is worth comparing the DYRL 1S Hikaru heat shield.

Is that one straight or also misaligned?

2 minutes ago, eggy99 said:

If you need confirmation if DYRL Roy will also be misaligned it is worth comparing the DYRL 1S Hikaru heat shield.

Is that one straight or also misaligned?

Not sure.  I’ve never taken it out of fighter. I’ve only inspected all of my toys over the last few years, waiting to move into a new home.  Finally, we are.

4 minutes ago, Toonz said:

i have a question: how does Mandarake calculate shipping? i don't see any shipping charges in my cart. do they inform you after they have received your order? how does it work?

I can't remember the full details as we have discussed that somewhere in the threads and there is a way to determine the shipping costs or you can wait till for Manda to send you the updated full payment email notice (however make sure that you have enough $$)  

1 hour ago, Lolicon said:

If you don't want to see how off center it is, I suggest not looking at it from this angle. :unknw:

20201209_193843.thumb.jpg.c65df69724da4c0ee63fb7eb31d4df38.jpg

Between the misaligned skull, the non-flush air brake, and the brighter vertical yellow stripe, my eyes are burning. I love Roy, though, and I've wanted this release for a long time, so I'm going to accept him as is. :drinks:

8 minutes ago, Toonz said:

i have a question: how does Mandarake calculate shipping? i don't see any shipping charges in my cart. do they inform you after they have received your order? how does it work?

They contact you after you place your order and give you the shipping estimate as part of a total invoice. You used to be able to choose your shipping method, but they might just be offering DHL right now (depending on country). I haven't ordered from them in a while. Every branch does shipping differently, and by that I mean the cost can vary quite a bit for exactly the same item. The most expensive branches to ship from are the ones in and around Tokyo.

44 minutes ago, Toonz said:

They just do DHL for now for US customers. They will email you the amount once they confirm the order or check for the item availabiliy if it's store front item.

4 hours ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

Plaza Japan just had stock of Roy but sold out in min. I didn’t catch it until 3 min too late

I was able to grab one and went all the way through checkout, but then stopped myself at the final submittal button.  I already have two so I'd figure I'd let someone else have a chance.  Hopefully someone who really needed one got it and not a stupid scalper.  I also noticed they increased shipping by almost double.  My first order only cost about $25 for the same shipping method.

PJ.thumb.png.b7d9d2a53e583a40dbd6138ad3137d05.png

33 minutes ago, dafob said:

I was able to grab one and went all the way through checkout, but then stopped myself at the final submittal button.  I already have two so I'd figure I'd let someone else have a chance.  Hopefully someone who really needed one got it and not a stupid scalper.  I also noticed they increased shipping by almost double.  My first order only cost about $25 for the same shipping method.

PJ.thumb.png.b7d9d2a53e583a40dbd6138ad3137d05.png

Right on! I’m in the same boat with having two already and would’ve likely done the same.

7 minutes ago, tjdetweiler said:
3 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

Saw it too. Amazingly still available as I type this. 

Let's give a few more minutes. Filling up the info and stuff always take like 5mins.

15 minutes ago, tjdetweiler said:

11 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

Saw it too. Amazingly still available as I type this. 

7 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Let's give a few more minutes. Filling up the info and stuff always take like 5mins.

Sold Out!! 

9 minutes ago, Toonz said:

Yes, it's standard aftermarket price right now.

If you grab one via proxy on release it's ¥4400 plus proxy fees.