Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

I just saw your post on that on Macross Fan Central and you got banned for doing that @Chaos ??  :blink:

Bandai loves to put Super Glue their stuff together so you can't even try and futz with it like what @Lolicon mentioned, however it your inclined to go further if you wish.  

I question Alex on that remark  ---> Has he ever done in person as he called you a F&*%^ liar for that post? 

@borgified @Chaos I decided to take one for the team and take mine apart. After a lot of twisting and turning to free the panels from the glue, I can see detailing along the sides that matches what's shown in the video. It does look like the intent was to have this cover open but for whatever reason they used to much glue and sealed it off. I'm still trying to pry it apart and confirm. I'll let you know if I succeed or not.

Edited by Grey728
grammar

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

I don't know if anyone else has discovered this, but I bring 

F O R B I D D E N knowledgeThere is a full set of sculpted details under the leg panels of the SSP, but you have to coax the panel off, it's glued down.  I posted this in a group on Facebook and got banned.Screenshot_20201004-003034.png

Are you Zak? They banned you and then left the post up? Why get banned at all. I'm stumped.

I lurk there but I don't post on public pages.

24 minutes ago, Grey728 said:

Confirmed. My fingers hurt.

C2DE53F7-9606-4084-882D-94D8A54C3987.jpeg

12ABABF2-F719-4B7D-92F4-D5B65A79B5B7.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Grey728 said:

After taking the picture I snapped it back together and immediately regretted it. It's very hard to pull apart again despite breaking the glue off. Perhaps that's why they decided to just glue it together? Who knows.

20 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

#YamatoDidItBetter.

Especially on the 1/60 and 1/48 VF-1 Supers. :p

Another pic. Most of the super glue was concentrated on the nubs that secure the cover in place. Fortunately it’s not on the rest of panel underneath. After scraping that glue off with an xacto knife it became much easier to install and remove. Now I’m curious about the missile section...

2131931F-3D8C-4794-8756-0B5C9BBD286D.jpeg

21 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Are you Zak? They banned you and then left the post up? Why get banned at all. I'm stumped.

I lurk there but I don't post on public pages.

I am Zak.  Once the guy commented, I tried replying, but said the post was no longer available.  When I tried to go to the page's frontpage to see if my post got deleted, it said I couldn't access the page.  When I searched for it, I didn't get any hits, so I concluded that I got banned from the group for finding an interesting secret.

33 minutes ago, Grey728 said:

After taking the picture I snapped it back together and immediately regretted it. It's very hard to pull apart again despite breaking the glue off. Perhaps that's why they decided to just glue it together? Who knows.

If you plug in the other piece of armor, it gives you a place to grip.  The outer panel overlaps all the way around the section, so there's nothing on the edges to grasp except the panel you're trying to remove.  Also, the glue may have been light on my sample.  I see they put eight dots of superglue, but only a few of them seem to have stuck

5 minutes ago, Grey728 said:

Another pic. Most of the super glue was concentrated on the nubs that secure the cover in place. Fortunately it’s not on the rest of panel underneath. After scraping that glue off with an xacto knife it became much easier to install and remove. Now I’m curious about the missile section...

2131931F-3D8C-4794-8756-0B5C9BBD286D.jpeg

RIGHT?!  I'm looking into that as well

6 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I am Zak.  Once the guy commented, I tried replying, but said the post was no longer available.  When I tried to go to the page's frontpage to see if my post got deleted, it said I couldn't access the page.  When I searched for it, I didn't get any hits, so I concluded that I got banned from the group for finding an interesting secret.

The post is still up. 

Goofballs

I just PM's the Alex Villareal guy asking why you got banned.

Edited by sqidd

Crazy Theory Time:

The legs armor is designed this way not for the SSP but really for the upcoming TV Super Parts. They will make those covers easily removable, as well as the ones on the boosters. Then they will sell future max and Millia 1Js with just the covers, not the super parts in their entirety. Guess we will see in December when the first TV Supers come out.

7 minutes ago, RedComet said:

Crazy Theory Time:

The legs armor is designed this way not for the SSP but really for the upcoming TV Super Parts. They will make those covers easily removable, as well as the ones on the boosters. Then they will sell future max and Millia 1Js with just the covers, not the super parts in their entirety. Guess we will see in December when the first TV Supers come out.

That's....plausible.  The Max and Millia sets would need to come with just the leg panels, and the booster half of the boosters.  I guess we'll need to see if the leg panel of the TV Ver is glued or not

12 minutes ago, RedComet said:

Crazy Theory Time:

4hbpt2.jpg

58 minutes ago, RedComet said:

I mean the piece on the back of the leg and the arm armor are the same blue-gray. My bet would be on just a different booster design with removable covers.

395954412d6c5e7f2f35741abdf5165b.jpg

I don't know.  Why would they do that?  Seems to me that rather than redesigning the booster, they'd just design the upper and lower covers on the boosters to be removable and glue them in place like they did the legs.  Both booster covers would need to be removable and, looking at the movie version, it would seem that in order to make that happen, it would take a redesign (doesn't seem like there's a bottom "cover" to even pop off).  I think Bandai knows they can sell out on their fast packs (like they have) and then package a whole new set of fastbacks with the Max/Millia and sell out those as well.  I'm all for a good conspiracy theory, though!

My guess is that they designed the leg boosters to have inner detail, but ran into problems. Possibly it was too hard to separate the panels, or there was an issue with the boosters/missile pods, or it just ended up costing too much.

So they decided to just glue together the legs, rather than re-make the existing leg armor.

Leaving the detail there, but gluing it shut just reeks of a problem with going from prototype to production, or in early production.

So Bandai botched up the simple task of having a removable cover? Something Yamato has had on their SSPs for over 15 years? Nothing but the best at Bandai! :p

4 hours ago, derex3592 said:

#YamatoDidItBetter.

They sure did. :drinks:

49470074238_6a5038ed2b_k.jpg

Addendum:

Wasn't sure where to put this, but there's a Yamato 1/60 DYRL Kakizaki for sale on Mandarake right now, for those who missed out on the DX and want something in scale with all your other valks anyway, or really need to finish that 1/60 DYRL squadron. ;)

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1149237855&ref=list&keyword=マクロス

Edited by Lolicon

1 hour ago, Sanity is Optional said:

My guess is that they designed the leg boosters to have inner detail, but ran into problems. Possibly it was too hard to separate the panels, or there was an issue with the boosters/missile pods, or it just ended up costing too much.

So they decided to just glue together the legs, rather than re-make the existing leg armor.

Leaving the detail there, but gluing it shut just reeks of a problem with going from prototype to production, or in early production.

47 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

So Bandai botched up the simple task of having a removable cover? Something Yamato has had on their SSPs for over 15 years? Nothing but the best at Bandai! :p

They sure did. :drinks:

49470074238_6a5038ed2b_k.jpg

I reckon it's all about symmetry.

Bandai rep got stuck separating one of the FP panels and decided then and there to just damn glue both for, uhmm, symmetry...

:bump:

9 minutes ago, treatment said:

I reckon it's all about symmetry.

Bandai rep got stuck separating one of the FP panels and decided then and there to just damn glue both for, uhmm, symmetry...

:bump:

I don't think so...

It's more for Bandai to avoid mass questions from collectors and to keep it like Area 51 undisclosed and undercover. 

:touche:

Edited by borgified

6 hours ago, borgified said:

I just saw your post on that on Macross Fan Central and you got banned for doing that @Chaos ??  :blink:

Bandai loves to put Super Glue their stuff together so you can't even try and futz with it like what @Lolicon mentioned, however it your inclined to go further if you wish.  

I question Alex on that remark  ---> Has he ever done in person as he called you a F&*%^ liar for that post? 

I wouldn’t put past that perm-banned mod. If he didn’t plagerize or figure it out first then he feels it’s not real.

Interesting. 

I will have to try this and if it works great if not we’ll then you got pretty lucky with some assemblyman being a bit stingy with glue.

It does some things better but also does some things worse. To me it's a wash, considering what a PITA it is to even get a DX, much less track down the SSP and missile sets if you didn't order a bunch during the PO period, I would hardly go so far as to say it blows anything but itself, as Bandai seems to be its own worst enemy. :p