Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

21 minutes ago, mantisfists said:

Hahaha!  Doesn't feel nice.  Still feels like I dropped the soap in prison.  But, based on how late in the game I came in, there are definitely people who had to reach farther for the soap than I did, so there's that, I guess.  The reality is, without the help of some of the folks on here (yourself included), I would have completely gotten the shaft instead of just the tip.  

Looks like you got in under the wire. The prices have been creeping up over the past 4-5 days.

There will always be the Mandy deals when they pop up. And if you're at the right spot at the right time for that sniper shot......in high wins....while taking fire. Capitalizing on those Mandy deals is some next level stuff!

1 hour ago, mojacko said:

Thanks for the awesome reply guys. Appreciate it, just need to be more vigilant in visiting this site so I can get latest pre O news or what not...BTW any thoughts on the Kakizaki version? I know he not super famous but he's the most reasonable one in term of $$$ in the bunch.....saw $288ish shipped

Honestly, I like the DYRL 1A head sculpt a lot and the green more than Hikaru's red. Kakizaki's not the most famous, but the Valk is cool. If I were to pick one up and budget was an issue, Kakizaki would be my vote. My arms didn't tab in super well in fighter mode out of the box, I don't know if that's mold degradation or if transforming it back to fighter from GERWALK will help them tab in a little better, but other than that it's the same as my 1J and my 1S. 

They're going to keep releasing these, so the other option would be to wait for the next pre-order, but it'll be a while. TV Roy is the next release and he'll definitely be more expensive than Kakizaki. Something to be aware of, the releases all come with stands, but they don't come with missiles or super parts. Both will be extra sets if you want to display with them.

20 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Looks like you got in under the wire. The prices have been creeping up over the past 4-5 days.

There will always be the Mandy deals when they pop up. And if you're at the right spot at the right time for that sniper shot......in high wins....while taking fire. Capitalizing on those Mandy deals is some next level stuff!

Don't I know it.  Me, at 0300 on Mandarake last week, seeing another Max 1A pop up....

tenor.gif.d582b987ee86ebc5c3ab7fe6cacb6204.gif

Unfortunately, that's me once again as I search for another strike parts set or two. 

Shockingly, I received a shipping notification and delivery today of my DX SSP set.  Hopefully others will get their set.

As you can see, I opened a ticket back in July to upgrade my shipping to EMS (still supported in Canada, thankfully), paid the upgrade (~$15) and the order shifted to Preparation in Progress once I had a Live Chat Support conversation with an agent.  Once that was done, it only took them 5 weeks to actually put it in the mail.  Once mailed, it took 5 days to get here.

1876048886_Nippon-Yasan.Com2020-09-0916-48-14.png.5c691a500d9a1589e588626682f8fdbe.png

9 hours ago, mojacko said:

Im slow in the new DX Bandai VF offering, is there any site to get these at a reasonable price? THanks

You have a couple of options for the DX VF-1J at Mandarake and Jungle for similar price however Jungle does charge a 5% extra fee:

42k https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1127483876&ref=list&keyword=vf1j dx&lang=en

44k https://jungle-scs.co.jp/sale_en/products/detail/467828

You can also go to Yahoo Auction Japan (and use a forwarder like DeJapan or FromJapan) to check the history of the prices for the DX VF-1J and notice some great deals on used items:

https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/closedsearch/closedsearch?auccat=&tab_ex=commerce&ei=utf-8&aq=-1&oq=&sc_i=&exflg=&p=DX+VF-1J&x=0&y=0

Just a week ago or so a couple of them were sold for 27-28k.

As others have already mentioned you it is necessary to become a hunter at AM hours for Mandarake but sooner or later you will hit a good deal.

Base prices at Mandarake are 42k for VF-1J, 26k for VF-1S, 22k for VF-1A Max, 22k for VF-1A Kakizaki, this should be your guide on brand, new, sealed items.

Edited by betocc

4 hours ago, betocc said:

You have a couple of options for the DX VF-1J at Mandarake and Jungle for similar price however Jungle does charge a 5% extra fee:

42k https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1127483876&ref=list&keyword=vf1j dx&lang=en

44k https://jungle-scs.co.jp/sale_en/products/detail/467828

You can also go to Yahoo Auction Japan (and use a forwarder like DeJapan or FromJapan) to check the history of the prices for the DX VF-1J and notice some great deals on used items:

https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/closedsearch/closedsearch?auccat=&tab_ex=commerce&ei=utf-8&aq=-1&oq=&sc_i=&exflg=&p=DX+VF-1J&x=0&y=0

As others have already mentioned you it is necessary to become a hunter at AM hours for Mandarake but sooner or later you will hit a good deal.

Base prices at Mandarake are 42k for VF-1J, 26k for VF-1S, 22k for VF-1A Max, 22k for VF-1A Kakizaki, this should be your guide on brand, new, sealed items.

thanks for the tip.

4 hours ago, betocc said:

Used items, you can give a look into the link where they are listed.

5 hours ago, Darth Mingus said:

Shockingly, I received a shipping notification and delivery today of my DX SSP set.  Hopefully others will get their set.

As you can see, I opened a ticket back in July to upgrade my shipping to EMS (still supported in Canada, thankfully), paid the upgrade (~$15) and the order shifted to Preparation in Progress once I had a Live Chat Support conversation with an agent.  Once that was done, it only took them 5 weeks to actually put it in the mail.  Once mailed, it took 5 days to get here.

1876048886_Nippon-Yasan.Com2020-09-0916-48-14.png.5c691a500d9a1589e588626682f8fdbe.png

Congrats - yesterday I finally received a response from NY.  They told me straight up that they will not be getting the SSP because a supplier has screwed them, and I can either get store credit or a one-time (gasp) option to switch to other merchandise of the same value, or wait even longer (but no guarantees).  Seems to me they are telling different stories to different customers, and they liked you more than they liked me I guess....

9 hours ago, Rhubarbarian said:

Honestly, I like the DYRL 1A head sculpt a lot and the green more than Hikaru's red. Kakizaki's not the most famous, but the Valk is cool. If I were to pick one up and budget was an issue, Kakizaki would be my vote. My arms didn't tab in super well in fighter mode out of the box, I don't know if that's mold degradation or if transforming it back to fighter from GERWALK will help them tab in a little better, but other than that it's the same as my 1J and my 1S. 

They're going to keep releasing these, so the other option would be to wait for the next pre-order, but it'll be a while. TV Roy is the next release and he'll definitely be more expensive than Kakizaki. Something to be aware of, the releases all come with stands, but they don't come with missiles or super parts. Both will be extra sets if you want to display with them.

Thought I’d prefer Hikaru 1S the hero Valk, but boy was I wrong! I also REALLY like the 1A head and the green scheme of Kakizaki now that I have one in hand..very sharp and simply amazing. I would have preferred Kakizaki green over Max blue anyway as it appeals to me more aesthetically..only if it wasn’t for the dying pilot^_^. Can’t wait for DYRL Max 1A now.

10C3147C-1DC1-4014-A4B9-B655AEC88D26.jpeg.a1c5b114ad55b2d7045e9f6176ab8daf.jpeg

401CD534-52B4-4CE8-843D-3AB571F7B026.jpeg.9f46f2a1f219d69d3ff99e075bb826f6.jpeg
I strongly recommend you pick one up:diablo:

Edited by Angesdad

56 minutes ago, treatment said:

saw this over at TD yesterday as something that maybe some members here might try to do (lolicon? wm_cheng?) if they own a copy...

http://toysdaily.com/discuz/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=462993&pid=8134436

Hx4aWa0l.jpg

If that's referring to the panel lining, @Lolicon did his a couple weeks back.

55 minutes ago, treatment said:

saw this over at TD yesterday as something that maybe some members here might try to do (lolicon? wm_cheng?) if they own a copy...

http://toysdaily.com/discuz/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=462993&pid=8134436

Hx4aWa0l.jpg

Gotta love how he also did the 210 tail switch :D still have no idea what Bandai was thinking on that one!

Admittedly, the TD guy's Kakizaki looks a bit more professional than mine. :D

Speaking of which, I noticed that the black stripe around the canopy doesn't line up. Anyone else's copy like this?

2102620372_VF-1AKakizaki006a.jpg.1c0fb21d1797bcdcf9893497b7bd1f96.jpg

Another example of what I was talking about in the other thread about how Bandai valks generally have lots of smaller issues rather than the catastrophic problems that affect Arcadia.

EDIT: Nevermind, I was focusing too much on getting the nose to line up flush with the rest of the canopy. It can be moved enough to line up and not be too much, er, unflush? Just me being pedantic.

EDIT #2: Hmmm it's actually impossible to have both sides perfectly lined up simultaneously, but the difference is really small and noticeable only to obsessive weirdos like myself. :unknw:

Edited by Lolicon

2 hours ago, treatment said:

Hx4aWa0l.jpg

members here will not use black accent on white plastic. haha just kidding. I really admire collectors who really touches up their toys :wub:

1 hour ago, Lolicon said:

Admittedly, the TD guy's Kakizaki looks a bit more professional than mine. :D

I like yours more actually.  Yours is more of a dark gray compared to the black wash the person on TD used.

My personal preference is panel lining that is not overly emphasized and used relative to the color the panel line is on. So for white, I prefer grays which is more subtle and realistic, imo.

Black on white is too stark a contrast to me and doesn't look as good.

51 minutes ago, MacrossJunkie said:

I like yours more actually.  Yours is more of a dark gray compared to the black wash the person on TD used.

My personal preference is panel lining that is not overly emphasized and used relative to the color the panel line is on. So for white, I prefer grays which is more subtle and realistic, imo.

Black on white is too stark a contrast to me and doesn't look as good.

This guy deserves all the credit. :mellow:

1260632757_modelwash.jpg.823931301cd7c18356a266b526f7fecc.jpg

One improvement I really like on the DX is having the dorsal, er, nub(?) on a spring so it pushes down when the backpack and stabilizers are folded up.

When the super parts are attached, it pushes that nub really hard into the stabilizers on the Yamato. I started taping that area when putting things in fighter and here's how it looks after sitting on display for awhile.

1024226954_stabilizerdamage.jpg.998b7796beb71811f8175b0cfec88c74.jpg

1 hour ago, Lolicon said:

This guy deserves all the credit. :mellow:

1260632757_modelwash.jpg.823931301cd7c18356a266b526f7fecc.jpg

Well, at least partial credit still goes to you for choosing to use it. Haha.

I have a couple bottles of that same stuff but under the ProModeller label, still made by Flory though. Good for if you don't want to deal with fumes as it's water based.

These days, I use either the Tamiya panel lining washes if I can get away with it due to me being lazy and the brush applicator is built right in so there's one less brush for me to have to clean. Otherwise I'll use an aircraft panel line wash from MIG Jimenez or mix some oil paint with odorless turpenoid.

One improvement I really like on the DX is having the dorsal, er, nub(?) on a spring so it pushes down when the backpack and stabilizers are folded up.

When the super parts are attached, it pushes that nub really hard into the stabilizers on the Yamato. I started taping that area when putting things in fighter and here's how it looks after sitting on display for awhile.

If you push in the back plate, you won't need to use the tape anymore or worry about nub rub (that sounded dirty).

20200910_050845.jpg.ca7833cccc604c8c8eab22de1d5e4a8d.jpg

You can see from the pic that there's no contact made with the fin.

Edited by MacrossJunkie

Just now, Bahamutzyro said:

Did they tell you they don't have more product? that's crazy.

Yup, they said their supplier cancelled their order and they don't know if they'll be getting anymore supplies. I paid them in June of 2019 and it took them until recently to tell me this. And only because I reached out to them about shipping since it came out in April. 

Screw store credit, I'm probably going to file a fraudulent charge claim with my CC company. 

5 hours ago, mantisfists said:

Gone

I didn't notice a couple of you guys already posted the VF1A Max, sorry, I guess waking up at 4:00 am for looking into the released items at Mandarake makes focus my attention on very few things.

Edited by betocc