Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

1 hour ago, Angesdad said:

Hello I am a new member and this is my very first post:)

I have a question regarding copyright sticker on the right upper corner of the DX box. I have just purchased a DX VF-1S Hikaru off Mandarake and this particular box seems to be missing the copyright sticker. Has anyone on the board experienced something similar, what is the meaning of this if anything, thank you.

C6C2C917-07D2-4B13-AB9D-89420166A83E.jpeg

Sorry to say this, but it's probably a Filipino knock off version; looks like you've been had.  If you want, I'll help you recuperate your costs by taking it off of your hands for....$90?  It's better than nothing right? Welcome to the boards!

24 minutes ago, myk said:

Sorry to say this, but it's probably a Filipino knock off version; looks like you've been had.  If you want, I'll help you recuperate your costs by taking it off of your hands for....$90?  It's better than nothing right? Welcome to the boards!

Way to haze a new member :rofl:

I honestly don't know if mine has the sticker on it. They can fall off. Same with the Hi-Metal R line. When I've seen sticker-less valks on Mandarake and they specifically call it out, it's at most a small price difference compared to one that has it.

9 minutes ago, Anasazi37 said:

Way to haze a new member :rofl:

I honestly don't know if mine has the sticker on it. They can fall off. Same with the Hi-Metal R line. When I've seen sticker-less valks on Mandarake and they specifically call it out, it's at most a small price difference compared to one that has it.

My only concern was that the lack of seal could imply some type of Bandai’s internal sign for QC reject or even a Filipino knock-off as myk mentionedB)) The one I picked up was missing sticker, unopened with some minor box scuff for 26k yen at Manda. Just getting into 1/48 DX Valkyrie and I can’t stop checking it out at different angles. Wish had a electric turning base that works in detolf. Thanks for the welcome messages!4B99544C-1615-43A8-8CEC-FA8B5F0C1AA8.jpeg.c8fbf06be678af924b4b79f9dc7fb493.jpeg

2 hours ago, myk said:

There are KO Valks coming outta the Philippines now? Since when?

54 minutes ago, Drad said:

There are KO Valks coming outta the Philippines now? Since when?

He is joking.

I dont know the history behind it but Mandarake has been selling merchandise without Big West sticker for 500 to 1000 yen less from time to time.

It can be

a. Completed item that failed the QC

b. excess product that is not bought or sanctioned by bandai / big west

c. some employee from the factory stole it and sold it

d. there are big west sticker hoarders / collectors

e. Insert stupid or legit reasons

3 hours ago, Angesdad said:

My only concern was that the lack of seal could imply some type of Bandai’s internal sign for QC reject or even a Filipino knock-off as myk mentionedB)) The one I picked up was missing sticker, unopened with some minor box scuff for 26k yen at Manda. Just getting into 1/48 DX Valkyrie and I can’t stop checking it out at different angles. Wish had a electric turning base that works in detolf. Thanks for the welcome messages!4B99544C-1615-43A8-8CEC-FA8B5F0C1AA8.jpeg.c8fbf06be678af924b4b79f9dc7fb493.jpeg

Get a tamiya turn table display stand, they are cheap and require a D size batt to work

6 hours ago, treatment said:

well, the whole "100" fiasco qualifies all Hikaru-1S as QC-rejects, imo...

You mean Bandai's aesthetic choice to maintain visual symmetry in battroid mode? Sorry--couldn't resist. The issue may show up again on the Hayao 1A. The official images for it on the Tamashii Nations site show a reversed modex number on the vertical stabilizer. Here's hoping that they fixed it before production ramped up. Just in case, I included a fix for it on that decal sheet I put together recently. :) The Roy TV release looks to finally be correct, thank goodness.

item_0000013253_pzYcJitH_04.jpg

7 hours ago, treatment said:

well, the whole "100" fiasco qualifies all Hikaru-1S as QC-rejects, imo...

:5:

Yeah, I'm glad I knew about that beforehand before getting mine thanks to the reviews I watched. It actually doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would, though they damned well better have that fixed on Roy's TV version. 

1 hour ago, Anasazi37 said:

You mean Bandai's aesthetic choice to maintain visual symmetry in battroid mode? Sorry--couldn't resist. The issue may show up again on the Hayao 1A. The official images for it on the Tamashii Nations site show a reversed modex number on the vertical stabilizer. Here's hoping that they fixed it before production ramped up. Just in case, I included a fix for it on that decal sheet I put together recently. :) The Roy TV release looks to finally be correct, thank goodness.

item_0000013253_pzYcJitH_04.jpg

Wow, that's so much worse. It's one thing to claim symmetry in battroid when the number is all zeros and ones that look the same forwards and backwards. But the symmetry breaks down here because reversing it but leaving it a two means that symmetry makes it isn't symmetrical- it would need to be a 5 instead to do that.

9 hours ago, Angesdad said:

Great view/shot!  Is the stand you're using included with the Valkyrie?

2 hours ago, vladykins said:

Wow, that's so much worse. It's one thing to claim symmetry in battroid when the number is all zeros and ones that look the same forwards and backwards. But the symmetry breaks down here because reversing it but leaving it a two means that symmetry makes it isn't symmetrical- it would need to be a 5 instead to do that.

Don't give Bandai any ideas!

3 hours ago, Jade20X said:

Great view/shot!  Is the stand you're using included with the Valkyrie?

Yeah, that's the Bandai DX valkyrie stand, included with just about all their valks (some of the Frontier ones came with SMS bases rather than Hex-shaped bases).

43 minutes ago, treatment said:

Wonder if Bandai really made it anime/DYRL-accurate.

As in, it shatters to pieces on its own after unboxing...

:bump:

Somebody headshots you as soon as you pull the toy from the clamshell. 

2 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Remember...Kakizaki's 1A was shown to come with a decal sheet for those who can't tolerate backwards numbers that you don't even see 90%+ of the time you own the figure.

So one has to buy another valk that most nobody really wants just to be able for us owners to fix the "100" shenanigan that Bandai inflicted on us owners?

Really lame sales strategy, imo.

Then again, Bandai's known for their Malibu Stacy and other tactics...

:5:

54 minutes ago, treatment said:

Wonder if Bandai really made it anime/DYRL-accurate.

As in, it shatters to pieces on its own after unboxing...

:bump:

:rofl:

9 minutes ago, Shogun93 said:

Somebody headshots you as soon as you pull the toy from the clamshell. 

:vava:

7 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Remember...Kakizaki's 1A was shown to come with a decal sheet for those who can't tolerate backwards numbers that you don't even see 90%+ of the time you own the figure.

True. 

And also... :rofl:

Haha, I'm just glad that I wouldn't care if each panel had a completely different number or no number. Makes no difference in the enjoyment I get out of my toys. Other than the times when I'm specifically trying to read some of the details, I never even notice what any of them say. I'm always enjoying how cool my toys look overall, transforming them, posing them and swooshing them around. If the tiny print by the side of the cockpit said "Capt. Jack Sparrow" or Captain Crunch", so what?:D

But yeah, I also get that it would be just as easy to get it all right but who and what is right anyways?;)

13 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Naaaaaaah. @Anasazi37 got me covered on that one. Ain't spending $200 something dollars just to get a decal sheet. 

21 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

If the tiny print by the side of the cockpit said "Capt. Jack Sparrow"

He would have to be the worst Valkyrie pilot we've ever seen.

Roy wouldn't have to wonder where all the rum has gone.

Maybe the box would come with extra shillings and you could pretend the print said "Captain Smith"

He'd probably be the best Valkyrie pilot we've ever seen.

There was that time he was stranded on a remote asteroid for months but escaped by roping together a bunch of battle pods and paddling himself to shore.

3 minutes ago, jeniusornome said:

Maybe the box would come with extra shillings and you could pretend the print said "Captain Smith"

There was that time he was stranded on a remote asteroid for months but escaped by roping together a bunch of battle pods and paddling himself to shore.

Haha, the next Macross series coming to screens everywhere soon!

24 minutes ago, jeniusornome said:

And he has a custom valkyrie that he calls the Kuro Paru, but everyone keeps stealing it from him.

26 minutes ago, jeniusornome said:

Oh man, now I legitimately want to name decal my DX Alaska Base Survivor Custom CPTN. Jack Sparrow haha :D Although I feel like a Captain would be in at least a 1J, not a 1A

On 8/3/2020 at 8:42 PM, sqidd said:

Tapes! Remember those?! Remember when you could actually wear your music out?:p

In Justice For All was the first "metal" that I was introduced to. Up to that point I was into Van Helen, Motley Crue, Ozzy and all of the 80's hair bands. In Justice For All was my gateway to where I was supposed to be the whole time. I went the metal route hard from that point. In my 20's added punk and then ska. In my 30's added classical and opera. In my 40's I added jazz and blues. Also a huge Sinatra fan. Still love my meal though. Lately I've been infatuated with Walls Of Jericho. I dialed up some Sepultura for a workout the other day. Man, Beneath The Remains still holds up.

Arise and Beneath the Remains were Sepultura at their height, in my opinion.  By the time the Justice album came out, I was firmly entrenched in the thrash scene.  Growing up in the 80s and 90s in the Bay Area, I feel blessed to have been raised in the golden age and area of metal.  Having the opportunity to see many bands (GWAR, Death, Exodus, Death Angel, Violence, Primus, among others) at tiny venues like The Stone, The Omni, One Step Beyond, etc...and buying their demo tapes before they got huge.  That also meant, being in a band, that I would get to play those same venues...often times only a few nights after I'd just been there to watch a concert.  I remember vividly, sound testing my kit, looking up at the ceiling and seeing blood and other.....fluids....from the GWAR concert I'd just seen a few nights prior.  As a 17 year old kid, I can't tell you how cool that was.  I'd spend many an hour walking down the aisles of Tower Records, looking for tapes and imports of bands that looked cool or that I'd seen.  Some were terrible and I'd quickly toss.  Others, I'd listen to so much in my walkman that I'd wear out the wording so that you could no longer tell what song or even side it was unless you put tape on it.  It was a great time in my life, which is why I still listen to a lot of it with a huge smile on my face.  It's also why I still love Macross so much.  I really do hope that they end up releasing the GBP.  That was also one of the toys that I always wanted but could never afford and just haven't bitten the bullet to buy.  I'd see those and the old Gakkens at the comic conventions (when there were actually comics at conventions) and wish we weren't so poor.  

22 hours ago, sqidd said:

There were some people looking for info on DX's and getting one recently. Well, here is a pretty smokin deal on a VF-1S Hikaru.

Damn!  I'd seen that ad up but that is definitely NOT the price that was up when I saw it.  That definitely ended up being a great deal.  I've subscribed to that topic, but I guess changes to individual threads don't send alerts?  If I'd have seen the price had changed to what it did, I would have picked it up for sure.

49 minutes ago, mantisfists said:

Damn!  I'd seen that ad up but that is definitely NOT the price that was up when I saw it.  That definitely ended up being a great deal.  I've subscribed to that topic, but I guess changes to individual threads don't send alerts?  If I'd have seen the price had changed to what it did, I would have picked it up for sure.

Quick correction. The DX 1S was a new addition to my sale thread and NOT a price change.

If you have any questions, feel free to send me a dm. There are other members selling the Hikaru DX 1S too, and they have listed their own price for it which is a-okay. Price talk is frowned upon here at MW because everyone has different reasons and needs for locking in at a specific number. Thanks for understanding.  

10 minutes ago, technoblue said:

Quick correction. The DX 1S was a new addition to my sale thread and NOT a price change.

If you have any questions, feel free to send me a dm. There are other members selling the Hikaru DX 1S too, and they have listed their own price for it which is a-okay. Price talk is frowned upon here at MW because everyone has different reasons and needs for locking in at a specific number. Thanks for understanding.  

Sorry, man.  I actually thought I saw it on there for more and the thread I thought I saw it on actually said that they'd already lowered the price, it just wasn't a price I wanted to pay.....could be that I was either looking at a different ad or got two mixed up.  Was not in any way trying to bag on a price, whatever I thought it was.  I was more annoyed at myself because I stopped looking at a topic for a bit and missed a deal that I would have loved to jump on.  

2 minutes ago, mantisfists said:

Sorry, man.  I actually thought I saw it on there for more and the thread I thought I saw it on actually said that they'd already lowered the price, it just wasn't a price I wanted to pay.....could be that I was either looking at a different ad or got two mixed up.  Was not in any way trying to bag on a price, whatever I thought it was.  I was more annoyed at myself because I stopped looking at a topic for a bit and missed a deal that I would have loved to jump on.  

No worries. It's cool. B)) I realized after reading your comment that I really could have helped get the word out by adding the info in a new post to the thread. That will be something that I'll keep in mind for the future.

7 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Haha, I'm just glad that I wouldn't care if each panel had a completely different number or no number. Makes no difference in the enjoyment I get out of my toys. Other than the times when I'm specifically trying to read some of the details, I never even notice what any of them say. I'm always enjoying how cool my toys look overall, transforming them, posing them and swooshing them around. If the tiny print by the side of the cockpit said "Capt. Jack Sparrow" or Captain Crunch", so what?:D

But yeah, I also get that it would be just as easy to get it all right but who and what is right anyways?;)

I want a Captain Crunch VF-1S!!!!:D

36 minutes ago, technoblue said:

No worries. It's cool. B)) I realized after reading your comment that I really could have helped get the word out by adding the info in a new post to the thread. That will be something that I'll keep in mind for the future.

I'm actually wishing you didn't get the word out as well as you did.  If you hadn't, I'd be waiting on a shiny new (to me) 1S DX right now.

By the way, thanks to everyone for the help, both information wise and heads up on possible available toys.  I really do appreciate it.

Edited by mantisfists

8 hours ago, Slave IV said:

8 hours ago, treatment said:

So one has to buy another valk that most nobody really wants just to be able for us owners to fix the "100" shenanigan that Bandai inflicted on us owners?

Really lame sales strategy, imo.

Then again, Bandai's known for their Malibu Stacy and other tactics...

8 hours ago, crackpot said:

Naaaaaaah. @Anasazi37 got me covered on that one. Ain't spending $200 something dollars just to get a decal sheet. 

[comment applies to all three quotes above]

I took one look at that decal sheet and thought "MW members shouldn't have to drop $200 plus shipping to get a few small decals." I'm not convinced that the quality of them will be that good, but at least Bandai thought to include...something. Glad my printer still works and I could help out folks here.

7 hours ago, RedComet said:

Oh man, now I legitimately want to name decal my DX Alaska Base Survivor Custom CPTN. Jack Sparrow haha :D Although I feel like a Captain would be in at least a 1J, not a 1A

Do not tempt me, sir. I might just have to do that for you for the next round of decals.

6 hours ago, vladykins said:

I always liked my Bandai CF chunky monkey pilot Lt Warmaker.

Me, too! I included that pilot name on every CF decal sheet I've made, for every manufacturer and scale, as a tribute. I think it shows up on the decal sheet for the original 1/72 variable kit, too.

50 minutes ago, sqidd said:

I want a Captain Crunch VF-1S!!!!:D

I can make that happen for you. All captains are fair game now. :)