Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

Without having access to the meeting records between T-Rex and Bandai, we may never know who made what decision.  Regardless, the client, which is Bandai in this case, makes all final approvals.  The clip holding the arms on the Yamato/Arcadia VF-1s may have been a Yamato idea and thus Bandai can't use it.  :unknw:  So we blame whoever puts their name on the box!  :p

Yeah, always too many absolute assumptions. Just because something’s design was credited to one person or group doesn’t mean every final detail was their choice. Way to many factors to say anything other than what worked and what didn’t on the final product. 

49 minutes ago, DewPoint said:

Without having access to the meeting records between T-Rex and Bandai, we may never know who made what decision.  Regardless, the client, which is Bandai in this case, makes all final approvals.  The clip holding the arms on the Yamato/Arcadia VF-1s may have been a Yamato idea and thus Bandai can't use it.  :unknw:  So we blame whoever puts their name on the box!  :p

45 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Yeah, always too many absolute assumptions. Just because something’s design was credited to one person or group doesn’t mean every final detail was their choice. Way to many factors to say anything other than what worked and what didn’t on the final product. 

Totally makes sense. 

11 hours ago, obakesan said:

So after all the failing miserably to secure a Roy in pre order madness I broke down and got me a Hikaru TV instead so feeling better now. :D

IMG_20200730_091654.jpg

I don't blame you one bit, as you know, I ended up getting a Hikaru DYRL VF-1S because I wanted one in hand before I get my Roy (Assuming Nin-Nin comes through). Despite the issues with the arms not locking solidly in fighter mode, it is very detailed and looks good on it's stand. 

8 hours ago, Ignacio Ocamica said:

Excellent pic!!! Really like the angle and posing of the 1S head!!!

Thanks Ignacio, I love the head position as well. I was trying to capture 5 1/48,and 2 1/60 in the same picture. I do love posing my figures... every few months...

20200730_102936.jpg.0dea4529393c17de2381137c5757d50c.jpghikmax.jpg.863ca04ee6872285d33dcb1c5b7fcb1a.jpg

From the front, you can see how the head is cocked to one side. All things considered, I am lad Bandai gave the1/48 VF-1 design a try. You really feel its heft, while you handle this thing. Also, i like how the feet make the metallic "tiiing" noise when you bump into them with your fingers or nails. I really wish they would have handled the swing bar differently, but hey.... It is what it is. 

Edited by vlenhoff

4 minutes ago, vlenhoff said:

Thanks Ignacio, I love the head position as well. I was trying to capture 5 1/48,and 2 1/60 in the same picture. I do love posing my figures... every few months...

20200730_102936.jpg.0dea4529393c17de2381137c5757d50c.jpg

From the front, you can see how the head is cocked to one side. 

The head position is what I would expect if he had just been hit in the back with a woefully under-powered shot by a an opponents that should be running instead of fighting. Something along the lines of "Seriously? Are you kidding me with this crap? Beat it kid".

2 hours ago, sqidd said:

The head position is what I would expect if he had just been hit in the back with a woefully under-powered shot by a an opponents that should be running instead of fighting. Something along the lines of "Seriously? Are you kidding me with this crap? Beat it kid".

LOL. now I need to change the head position...

1 hour ago, sh9000 said:

41786EE7-EFC7-49C8-9090-D9EAD7511CB3.gif.3521775d5f59010bcfa74104169297ba.gif

Pretty much...

3 hours ago, sh9000 said:

41786EE7-EFC7-49C8-9090-D9EAD7511CB3.gif.3521775d5f59010bcfa74104169297ba.gif

Perfecto!!!!!:hail:

51 minutes ago, vlenhoff said:

LOL. now I need to change the head position...

Oh man, leave it. It's awesome! So much conveyed in a single look. Fantastic!:good:

That said, I would expect it out of Roy more than Hikaru.

Put the cavity fillers in though. I'm going to have a stroke!:rofl:

Edited by sqidd

Just now, sqidd said:

Perfecto!!!!!:hail:

Oh man, leave it. It's awesome! So much conveyed in a single look. Fantastic!:good:

That said, I would expect it out of Roy more than Hikaru.

i do like the cavity fillers too, but it is not a deal breaker. If the animation would have not shown those gap fillers, i would have been perfectly ok without them. I love Kawamori's VF-1 design too much anyway. Maybe if they make a 1/35th scale, they can incorporate those into the design.

All that aside, I believe the VF-1 legs get more attractive with each iteration of the valk. The 1/60 ver 2 made them sleek and refined. Now this Dxmakes the legs refined but also a bit more angular in some places. 

Edited by vlenhoff

6 minutes ago, sqidd said:

If you did have a stroke... You'll be still in the game, however with with blood thinners and anti-cholesterol medication for the rest of your life. Plus you would have to think twice about who to leave your collection as you can't take it with you in your afterlife (unless you want to be buried with it like uber rich kings and queens).

4 minutes ago, borgified said:

If you did have a stroke... You'll be still in the game, however with with blood thinners and anti-cholesterol medication for the rest of your life. Plus you would have to think twice about who to leave your collection as you can't take it with you in your afterlife (unless you want to be buried with it like uber rich kings and queens).

@Rogueload has been nominated to sell my collection for my wife if I die. With a healthy commission of course. A grim thought, but pragmatic. It's a pretty big chunk of money.

5 hours ago, sqidd said:

@Rogueload has been nominated to sell my collection for my wife if I die. With a healthy commission of course. A grim thought, but pragmatic. It's a pretty big chunk of money.

You are not allowed to die because 1) we'd miss you and 2) our pocketbooks couldn't afford it.

17 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Awwww, that's sweet.:wub:

The day @Rogueload posts my entire collection on MW.:p

DimpledSingleBlackfish-size_restricted.g

lol, how big is your collection anyway?

I don't know what I'd do with mine if the coof gets me or something. Probably wouldn't sell for much anyway since most of mine are not mint condition and have been weathered or customized in some way.

Just now, MacrossJunkie said:

I don't know what I'd do with mine if the coof gets me or something. Probably wouldn't sell for much anyway since most of mine are not mint condition and have been weathered or customized in some way.

Hmmm....good call.  Mine isn't as large as @sqidd but some of mine would sell good.  I think I'd just want all my homies to pour one out for me and then throw a bunch of Valks in fighter mode over a cliff so they have one last swooooosh.

BraveGentleEyelashpitviper-size_restricted.gif

17 minutes ago, MacrossJunkie said:

$90K:shok:

2 hours ago, vladykins said:

You are not allowed to die because 1) we'd miss you and 2) our pocketbooks couldn't afford it.

This.

Also, another gratuitous pic for the thread. 

20200731_110834.jpg.cb1d325434b96675f95fbc538df5d302.jpg

Edited by vlenhoff

1 hour ago, sqidd said:

$90K:shok:

That number scares me...mainly because I have no idea how much stuff I have and how much I paid for it all but I'm pretty sure I have WAY more than you do. I spent much of my life collecting with the thought that I would pass it on to my kids someday but at the same time, it's a pretty big burden to even look through that much stuff let alone haul it around.

58 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

That number scares me...mainly because I have no idea how much stuff I have and how much I paid for it all but I'm pretty sure I have WAY more than you do. I spent much of my life collecting with the thought that I would pass it on to my kids someday but at the same time, it's a pretty big burden to even look through that much stuff let alone haul it around.

You're probably triple that!8P

I can't imagine the cubic footage your collection takes up. Just the boxes for mine take up 6 very well organized (think Tetris) 48x18x72 shelving units (216cu ft). I'm going to probably need a couple more.

Assuming that we don't have a major depression and/or civil war in the next 4-5 years I'll be looking to get in my forever hose. I am not looking forward to un-displaying, packing, moving and re-displaying my stuff. That said, whatever I get for a house is going to have one kick butt toy room/office. I'm thinking 600-750sq ft.

5 minutes ago, sqidd said:

You're probably triple that!8P

I can't imagine the cubic footage your collection takes up. Just the boxes for mine take up 6 very well organized (think Tetris) 48x18x72 shelving units (216cu ft). I'm going to probably need a couple more.

Assuming that we don't have a major depression and/or civil war in the next 4-5 years I'll be looking to get in my forever hose. I am not looking forward to un-displaying, packing, moving and re-displaying my stuff. That said, whatever I get for a house is going to have one kick butt toy room/office. I'm thinking 600-750sq ft.

Look forward to seeing that! I've moved so many times with my collection and of course, it gets harder each time as I amass more and more. In the end, I will say that moving the toys is a breeze compared with the Comic Books. Hauling around 30 full long boxes up and down stairs across the country is a BITCH!

Edited by Slave IV

9 hours ago, sqidd said:

If I die after having children, I would want my Macross collection to pass on to my kids.

If I die before having children, hmmm..... I am not sure what I would want to happen. My fiance is not a Macross fan. Maybe donate to charity?  

It's not the dying.....it's the fact that even after you go, you KNOW your wife, GF, kids, siblings whatever, are at some point going to have to:

A. Figure out how to transform your Valks and other things back to the "In The Box" mode to sell them ..(I'm thinking the SV-262 DX will be a fun one to watch them do from the afterlife or the blood drawing VF-17 Yamato)

OR

B. Just throw them in a box like they are...In my case this a particularly terrifying thought as a lot of my collection is actual models I have poured hours of my life into building over the years. 

and your going to be watching all this....LOOOL! 

Edited by derex3592

Not to be too morbid, but I keep a spreadsheet with my collection, and their original purchase price, just as a reference point.

Personally, if my Macross things were to be sold off, I'd like to stipulate that they go to someone here without whatever it is first, and at retail price.  Rather spread the joy than make a profit.  Even the retail total is a fairly chunky sum. :p 

1 hour ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

If I die after having children, I would want my Macross collection to pass on to my kids.

If I die before having children, hmmm..... I am not sure what I would want to happen. My fiance is not a Macross fan. Maybe donate to charity?  

How about selling to member here at cost and donate the proceeds? ;) 

My only wish is to see the Vermillion Squad and DYRL Skull Squad completed for DX before I die.  Hear that Bandai?!  I've put up with way too much crap on the SSPs not to see that happen with DRYL, and Vermillion needs to happen because Kakizaki matters!!!!

So someone better see to it for me if I'm not alive to see these releases complete.

Hmm, in my estimation, I've spent around $20-21k on all Macross toy related purchases... ugh...

So that is an average of over $1100/year since I started collecting. Wasn't so bad back then. The Yamato 1/48's were around 120-130 and even the VF-1 1/60 v2 could be had for less than 100 back in the day. But now we're looking at $250 minimum for Arcadia stuff and Bandai is edging toward 19k minimum for the 1/60 DX toys, with many way over that, especially since it's near impossible to get things at MSRP these days. So if I were to graph my spending per year, it would look more like an exponential growth curve...

7 hours ago, vladykins said:

3) How else will we get the valks we want? As soon as you buy 3 of an existing Yamato version or pay someone to make you 3 out of an existing DX version, Bandai announces their version.

1 hour ago, derex3592 said:

A. Figure out how to transform your Valks and other things back to the "In The Box" mode to sell them ..(I'm thinking the SV-262 DX will be a fun one to watch them do from the afterlife or the blood drawing VF-17 Yamato)

Both of those would be very fun to watch. Mental note: leave my SV-262 and VF-17 to a relative I don't really like, but include a note saying that they're extremely valuable and the sales price goes way up if they are transformed back to fighter mode. Two months and several band-aids later....

All this talk about passing down collections reminded me of this thought I have that to whomever it gets passed down, will they really find value (sentimental or percieved monetary) in these things? My thinking here is, once the generation that grew up adoring these stuff passes on, the perceived value goes down drastically. In the end it's just junk for somebody and they need to get rid off. Can you really see your kids in their adulthood thinking these are heirlooms, worth a fortune, and will be passed on to their kids and so on? I bet if and when they try selling them, it will be difficult to find somebody willing to pay a decent amount for them. Factor in that they would have lots of baggage in life to deal with and organizing/keeping these toys end up at the bottom of their to do list. Ok, let's say they end up following your footsteps and be a collector as well. I would say that the collectors of that generation will put more value on something they grew up with (Pokemon maybe?). Much like when I see those vintage 1960-70s Poppy toys, I would say cool but I'm not buying any of those even if I have the money.

It reminds me of a watch my dad left behind when he passed away. It has perceived monetary value to it but more on the lower end. I'm not wearing it because it's not my style. I haven't had it undergo maintenance or serviced yet and I haven't stored it in a self winding machine as it has an automatic movement. I'm keeping it as a remembrance of him. Imagine though, if he left behind boxes and boxes of these watches. I barely have space for my toys as it is and most likely I'll sell those watches instead of keeping them. Maybe I'll put some effort selling some for top dollar but probably most of it will be a bargain. 

I guess at the end of it all, just open up all your valks (and other toys) and play with them. Enjoy them as much as you can. If you do plan on selling, just make sure to do it and sell it to @sqidd before he enters retirement or dies. :D