Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

1 hour ago, ErikElvis said:

Off topic but since people are talking about how long they have been here when was it called Shawn and Graham’s macross forum?

When I signed up nearly 20 years ago it was already called Shawn & Grahams's.

Special thanks to them for years of information, and the creation of many friendships.  

Edited by vlenhoff
I am pretty sure i joined about 20 years ago. If i am wrong, my apologies.

3 hours ago, treatment said:

hmmm. nice poses!

lemme try your poses with my yammie hikkie-1S,,.

160v2-4-mj-1-.jpg.ed659fa5b4134c6ef73c721a078df485.jpg

160v2-4-mj-2.jpg.37bce3da1caf9d8315de7c5a6929cef5.jpg

I was flipping through the last few pages. These 1/60 poses here look better for representation comparisons. 

The shorter 1/60 nose cone in battroid and the shape of the heat shield make it look more anime.

I'm guessing the longer DX 1/48 nose in battroid will flip down bc it looks too long for a coming GBP armor. prob my only gripe.

As another MW review pointed out a while ago, the 1/48 is more like a version 2.5 or 2.8 than a 3.0, 

A few nice tweaks, one or two that i could live without. 

2 hours ago, ErikElvis said:

Off topic but since people are talking about how long they have been here when was it called Shawn and Graham’s macross forum?

If you dig around, (i don't have a link but it's here somewhere) there's an annoucement Shawn posted about including Graham's name when he introduced the title. Graham was surprised/honored by the gesture.  

As an old collector what really impressed me back in the day was the Yammie VF-1 1/48, none of the previous ones were so close to the original art design. When the 1/60 v2 came over was an improvement because it is very solid, brings more tampo and the scale it's very cool. This Bandai 1/48 has more articulation (it's cool) but I don't like the over tampo printing and the leg connection remembers me the old Yammie v1 1/60. IMO this DX feels like a little improvement but not too much to beat 1/60 v2

11 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

Nice poses @MacrossJunkie, @RedComet, and @Jetreo.

I’m going to see if my 1/60 v2 can do this pose.

45BAD76E-6188-454B-9C8F-2C7951230B32.jpeg.04ee5eb80d512eb156b93672ba9e7e6b.jpeg

Thanks!

It should, it's not using any joints or movement ranges that the 1/60 can't duplicate.

While on that note, I did realize one point of articulation that the 1/60 has that the DX can't duplicate properly.

The DX arms can only move up and down and requires the folding hinge to give the arms side to side movement. The 1/60, on the other hand, has that AND the shoulder joint is a ball joint, so you can angle the arms inward more. So the shoulder piece can be moved inwards toward the body or outwards from the body independently of the folding part.

7 hours ago, treatment said:

Really ain't that sure about your last shot's inspiration at all, so i'm just gonna dig up an old snapshot I posted here back in 2011 as inspired by the actual DYRL scene...

I'm not sure what you mean about not being sure about my last shot's inspiration. It's the iconic pose that Hikaru's 1J takes in the very last part of the intro to SDFM.

Since the the time the Yammie 1/48s came out, I've tried to duplicate that, and haven't been able to get close until now. I wasn't trying to do anything from DYRL, I just happened to only have Hikaru's 1S so I was using that in place of the 1J in duplicating it.

I just used the CG remake version because it was more mechanically and proportionally consistent aside from the shoulder glitch and easier to gauge the positioning.

328822439_SDFMintro.png.efbbe4f90d4c7b5c1e52848ddfd078a7.png

Anyway, if people think the DX is a marginal improvement over the 1/60 v2, it's all good. Everyone has their own metrics and weighting for what features are important to them.

I personally was impressed with:

• the overall proportions
  • the metal content and heft
  • the extra articulation and the range of motion without having to make a lot of compromises
  • it having the best hands out of any valkyrie toy release yet with every finger and knuckle having an articulated joint. My only nitpick about it is that every finger is the same length, which you can say it doesn't have to be because it's not a human hand, but it's not line art accurate either which in the design works book, shows fingers with lengths mimicking that of a human hand. But I can understand why because it would be tough to have a jointed finger like the pinky when it's so short otherwise.
  • the extra detailing like:
    • details inside the visor and shoulder lights
    • the vents and such that show on the underside for GERWALK mode instead of just flat plastic
    • a pilot figure that actually holds the controls which is a first that I can recall out of all valkyrie releases by Bandai, Yamato, and Arcadia
  • bringing back the air brake and wing flaps of the Yammie 1/48 minus the radome (which never looked good anyway)
  • better built in ability to fill in gaps like in the top of battroid mode.

Anyway, my previous posts were just to illustrate the differences in articulation and center of gravity which affects posing. I believe that having more options is usually a good thing.

So people can take it for how they want. If they found it informative or useful, then great! I know I'm late to the game and I'm sure all this stuff likely has already been discussed before somewhere in the thread, but 500+ pages is a bit much to go through for me and I'm guessing it's the same for other people who came back recently or are new.

There's just a lot of things you can do with the extra size in 1/48 that you can't do in 1/60, and Bandai has much greater manufacturing capacity than Arcadia so they can tampo a 1/48 valk and sell it for 200 while Arcadia can't.

Funny enough cannot seem to remove the entire nose-section and mount it on an arm like the Yammie V2 could, just for that one episode :D

9 minutes ago, Duymon said:

There's just a lot of things you can do with the extra size in 1/48 that you can't do in 1/60, and Bandai has much greater manufacturing capacity than Arcadia so they can tampo a 1/48 valk and sell it for 200 while Arcadia can't.

Funny enough cannot seem to remove the entire nose-section and mount it on an arm like the Yammie V2 could, just for that one episode :D

Bandai's DXs also don't have option parts for a baby carrier and the upright single/double seats for exiting battroid mode. I doubt they ever will either.

15 minutes ago, Duymon said:

P-Bandai future special: VF-1D removable nose section and rising battroid dual seater. 

20190423_151531.thumb.jpg.5def2c64b916ac96fb3916316f7174dd.jpg

1 hour ago, MacrossJunkie said:

Bandai's DXs also don't have option parts for a baby carrier and the upright single/double seats for exiting battroid mode. I doubt they ever will either.

They did it for the MHR, yet we don't have it in the DX line. I wonder why.

Edited by vlenhoff

10 hours ago, Toonz said:

just curious...what's the maximum price you will pay for a set of DX Strike/Super parts now that these are hard to come by

If it has to be, zero dollars.   I remember buying about four sets of fast packs for the original '48s and never using them.  I'm all about that naked fighter mode...

E91A4F52-F167-4F1F-AFA0-58E95DBF7820.jpeg.840045a31f3a5c9c013106180885e8f4.jpeg

This Q-Rau on the left looks larger than 1/55 scale and once it is finished and painted in TV colors I think it will work out with my DX TV VF-1A Max.

Edited by sh9000

2 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

E91A4F52-F167-4F1F-AFA0-58E95DBF7820.jpeg.840045a31f3a5c9c013106180885e8f4.jpeg

This Q-Rau on the left looks larger than 1/55 scale and once it is finished and painted in TV colors I think it will work out with my DX TV VF-1A Max.

Holy smokes! How tall is that sucker?

talking about nostalgia, I joined MacrossWorld in 2001-2002 range.  I remember when Yamato started out and Graham had an in with the big wigs at Yamato and used to know and leak little tid-bits here and there......those were the days.

Twich

12 minutes ago, weiser21 said:

Anyone know where I can score an SSP set for a reasonable price?

I'm hoping Bandai plans to re-release the SSP and missile sets to coincide with future DYRL and other VF-1 releases instead of paying the inflated prices that places are selling them for.

So what is a “good” price to some of you guys for DX SSP? I see them all the time on Yahoo! Japan and I could have sworn I saw some on Mandarake as well. Toy Arena has them in stock too if you prefer a US retailer. 

I’ve been going back and forth with NY for 2 months now about shipping my SSP. Asked to downgrade to ferry and received a $1 USD refund. Followed up if/when it’ll be shipped and was told that ferry shipments are not a priority. Seriously the worst service I’ve ever received. Now asking for store credit to pick up the Sentinel Riobot Ray figure instead and pay for expedited shipping so I don’t have to deal with them ever again. So if anyone is still looking, they’ll have a set available I assume.

Edited by canklebreaker

There are pages and pages of these sort of situations with NY; theres even a dedicated thread about this right?  I have to ask why anyone here is giving them any business?