Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

18 hours ago, davidwhangchoi said:

ah thanks for those details of the VF on the legs. I ordered a Kaki and totally forgot about him. He's the only one that i don't have mulitple copies on order. bummer it's missin that skull    

max weathered.png 2.png

There is now a decal set to fix the missing skull problem. I'm about to do a print run and might be able to squeeze in a few more requests. PM me if you're interested.

preview2.jpg.a0048c6eef46b43d5a8b9a3d22a3b6ff.jpg

Just now, Anasazi37 said:

There is now a decal set to fix the missing skull problem. I'm about to do a print run and might be able to squeeze in a few more requests. PM me if you're interested.

damn i'm tempted but i haven't opened any of my multiple copies. hopefully i'll get a chance and see if anything is available then. 

I’ve been here since 09 and a fan since mid 90’s and I hardly know any of the intricacies of macross lore.  I just ogle valks. 

I think my first valk was a 1/72 Yamato yf-19 eventually followed by a V1 Roy 1S. Good thing I didn’t continue down that road. 

Edited by ErikElvis

5 hours ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

Hell...I'm going to start arguing for Chunkies, the greatest Valks of all times.  And you will lose.

:good::good:

36 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

eh, i don't reconize many of you,   most of you were not on MW a long time, during Yamato's hey day.  

still... it's good to see a few old faces in the crowd.   

I'm definitely a greybeard here. I remember the 1/55 customization boom in the early 2000's, then the v1 Yamato craze, then the Yamato 1/48s, then Zero and the v2 Yamatos, then Frontier, etc. My wallet also remembers. Not fondly.

4 minutes ago, Anasazi37 said:

I'm definitely a greybeard here. I remember the 1/55 customization boom in the early 2000's, then the v1 Yamato craze, then the Yamato 1/48s, then Zero and the v2 Yamatos, then Frontier, etc. My wallet also remembers. Not fondly.

I do reconize your name. Were you around when A7 and Gubaba were here?  

5 minutes ago, Anasazi37 said:

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

12 minutes ago, Anasazi37 said:

@Anasazi37Wait, I just realized that the DYRL 1S out right now does have the ejector seat markings, but the 1J and 1A are supposed to have them, but don't right? Or am I confused again? :p

2 minutes ago, RedComet said:

@Anasazi37Wait, I just realized that the DYRL 1S out right now does have the ejector seat markings, but the 1J and 1A are supposed to have them, but don't right? Or am I confused again? :p

Yep, I had noticed that too, so you're correct.

3 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

Anasazi is old school. He's been around for a long while and has been making great decals for people.

I also remember Takatoys made stickers for the v1 1/60 VF-1s and the 1/48's until Alps started shutting down their international business making it hard to get new toner and such.

Edited by MacrossJunkie

Man, I love all the main Valk releases...Chunky is not just the best Valk but the best toy ever made. Yamato 1/48 is so simple, quick and easy to transform...I still enjoy just grabbing that off a shelf and handling the most, plus those special decos are fantastic! V2 1/60 still feel like the best overall quality toy toy to me with such precision. DX 1/48 is the culmination of all that came before with some improvements but also some steps back resulting in still the best engineered VF-1 ever but not anywhere close to replacing any of the previous ones to me.

If I wasn't a size queen I'd have all of my VF-1's in 1/60. Generally less money and they take up FAR less shelf space. The Arcadia 1/60's are great. But I am a size queen, so long live the DX!

I just thought of another point of debate. This will only apply to some. I display all of my stuff (a rule I mad for myself). If I had 1/60's I would fill the same amount of shelf space as I do with 1/48's. Which means I would probably end up spending more money in the long run on 1/60's. I'd be more of a completest. There is no lack of stuff that I want, but I don't do it because of space limitations (it's actually a good thing).

17 minutes ago, MacrossJunkie said:

Anasazi is old school. He's been around for a long while and has been making great decals for people.

I also remember Takatoys made stickers for the v1 1/60 VF-1s and the 1/48's until Alps started shutting down their international business making it hard to get new toner and such.

I miss Area-7 and Gubaba:unsure:

3 minutes ago, sqidd said:

If I wasn't a size queen I'd have all of my VF-1's in 1/60. Generally less money and they take up FAR less shelf space. The Arcadia 1/60's are great. But I am a size queen, so long live the DX!

I just thought of another point of debate. This will only apply to some. I display all of my stuff (a rule I mad for myself). If I had 1/60's I would fill the same amount of shelf space as I do with 1/48's. Which means I would probably end up spending more money in the long run on 1/60's. I'd be more of a completest. There is no lack of stuff that I want, but I don't do it because of space limitations (it's actually a good thing).

I ran out of any shelf space years and years ago. I’m dreading going into the detolfs and boxing up the eclectic mess I have jammed in them. My new acquisitions might sit in the living room or bedroom for a bit but all end up down in the basement. 

1 hour ago, crackpot said:

@tjdetweiler @davidwhangchoi @borgified

My bad. I apologize. 

Let the walk off continue! 

gifntext-gif.gif

Macross "The Next Top Model". Followed by Right Said Fred's song : "I'm too Sexy.." :lol:

Edit: To continue, I'm more of a Yamacadia fan when I got started into the Macross stuff. 

Was introduced to the Yammie 1/60 VF-1 v.1 when I was living to Toronto. Sold it when I had to move back to Vancouver and started into the v.2 line up. Jumped into the Yammie 1/48 months later and now into the Bandai DX line with Alto's 171EX and snowballed from there. 

Cherry picking on what I want to get next as I'm starting to dabble in the 1/6 figures (and they're also quite pricy as well). 

Edited by borgified

3 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Not sure how you'd expect to see any articulation advantages when you have them in what's practically a T-pose.

Try doing this with a Yamato/Arcadia, and see how good it looks, and how stable the figure is.

Hide contents

20200721_135233.jpg.07761cfe85e96551c9f3d3aefee2af4b.jpg20200721_135243.jpg.ca9a3d50d9267f720eb8b8289587ea6f.jpg20200721_135257.jpg.a962698c23f7658c27280af159588272.jpg

You get a much wider and more stable stance, plus the feet are more flat on the ground in dynamic poses. Posing my 1/60s was always much more of a pain, and they were far more likely to fall over. On top of the more limited options for posing.

Well, I'm trying to be modest and all since I'm not quite a newbie in posing stuff, but uhmm...

Not sure if I'm supposed to be impressed or horrified with those poses on your pics.   Seems like both Max-1A and Hikky-1S standing after a bronco rodeo ride...

3 hours ago, RedComet said:

I agree with @Sanity is Optional try doing this with your old Yamarcadias!

IMG_1467.jpg.0c5d67904c69f2e9b1d0eee8408f224e.jpg

Well, already did that back in the day here...

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/39641-arcadia-160-vf-1s-roy-focker-special-movie-ver/page/53/

skull-leader-stayin-alive.jpg.b2156422476d884dc745a671083cbbaa.jpg

With FPs and Arcee as a partner even...

:bump:

---

add/edit:

2 hours ago, MacrossJunkie said:

Sorry for the potato phone pics.

But I can't do this sort of stuff with my 1/60 V2:

- Aggressively wide leg stance

20200721_180120.jpg.079d786e881ddefcffec5232260bbeb5.jpg

-Individual finger articulation allowing you to do something like cranking up the middle finger

20200721_180418.jpg.69a03b39d10d0c5f5b91c22fd46e3e3b.jpg

-Pretty much full 180 arm bend and have a massive waist swivel.

20200721_181433.jpg.a2a17989a721280a69124e310d3b8cdd.jpg

-cock the head to the side, palm open flat, lean to one side. Balances easily on the leg because of the low center of gravity from so much mass being in the legs and being able to adjust the feet to any angle you need.

20200721_181101.jpg.a91bc023cfe33ccff3b0d36850a6d3c7.jpg

Uhmm, not really getting why anyone would want to splay his legs out wide like that.  

I mean, sure the extra hip stuff is nice and some here like the poses you did with it, but any pose using them to splay the valk way out wide is really just not aesthetically pleasing to me.   Guess I'm just not cool enough to appreciate those posings.

:search:

Btw, can you guys resize your pics?  This forum's software does not seem to do pic auto-resizing when quoting...

Edited by treatment

3 hours ago, davidwhangchoi said:

Yep! I think I joined MW sometime in 2000, so it's been 20(!) years.

3 hours ago, MacrossJunkie said:

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

LOL

3 hours ago, RedComet said:

Correct. The Hikaru 1J and Max 1A releases don't have it, but should. The Hikaru 1S and upcoming Hayao 1A do have it. The Roy doesn't have it, so either Bandai is regressing or they don't believe that TV valks should have ejection seat markings. For the ones that do have it, the quality is terrible. You can't make out the "DANGER" text on the edges of the triangle.

3 hours ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

This is awesome work man.

Much appreciated, sir :hi:

Yep, I had noticed that too, so you're correct.

And thanks to you as well :hi:

I've managed to keep my ALPS printer going, but it requires a great deal of creativity and patience, plus a willingness to source ink from overseas--with all of the risk and cost that requires.

The one thing I cannot stand about the Yamato/Arcadia 1/60 v2 is the collar (or lack thereof). It still bothers me so I keep them in any mode other than Battroid. It is just ugly as sin IMO.

The DX is much less noticeable and a great improvement.

Edited by Valkyrie23

5 hours ago, treatment said:

Uhmm, not really getting why anyone would want to splay his legs out wide like that.  

I mean, sure the extra hip stuff is nice and some here like the poses you did with it, but any pose using them to splay the valk way out wide is really just not aesthetically pleasing to me.   Guess I'm just not cool enough to appreciate those posings.

:search:

Btw, can you guys resize your pics?  This forum's software does not seem to do pic auto-resizing when quoting...

Well, I guess I didn't really get the purpose of my post across. You said that you didn't notice any advantages at all other than its larger size, so I was trying to illustrate the wide range of motion in the arms, legs, hands and head that could be done on the DX but not the 1/60 as well balance advantages due to the low center of gravity. So I put it in exaggerated and silly poses to illustrate said poseability.

I threw together a couple more pics with some side by side this time. I posed the DX first and then tried my very best to get as close to it as I could with the 1/60. In fact, I had to cheat a bit on the 1/60 to make it look closer than it was.

Side strafing while aiming at the enemy:

20200721_220521.jpg.90cc8ba96092df8120d6a2250abd053f.jpg

Here, comparing between the two, I could cock the head a little bit to get a better angle. The fingers and thumb on left hand on the DX could fully conform to the barrel. Even if I put fixed pose hands on the 1/60, it wouldn't conform nearly as well. The DX left leg could be angled out to look like it's pushing the valk ahead as the right foot is lifting off the ground. Due to the ratcheted feet with very few selectable angles, I couldn't do this and achieve balance at the same time so I had to find leg positions that allowed it to stand, thus the right foot is planted and the left leg had to use the gerwalk joint to simulate pushing off the ground, which works okay from this angle, but doesn't look right from the side. Also the 1/60 legs can't achieve a 90 degree bend or less. More like 100 degrees or so. The DX waist is tilted away to the right so while the legs are mostly facing forward, the torso is turned so it can fire forward. The 1/60 has no waist pivot so I had to turn the entire body and place it at a different angle to achieve a similar effect. Overall, I believe the DX looks more dynamic here.

20200721_223705.jpg.66a26cb673c3851dcbb14564a571df2c.jpg

Just another pose with similar leg positioning for comparison. Again, I believe the DX could achieve a more dynamic look.

Okay, now people might be saying, well MJ, you're probably just picking poses that favor the DX greatly. I'm really not. I'm just trying to showcase the advantage in poseability, but let's pick something that came out long before the DX was ever a thing: The end of the intro to SDFM with Hikaru's 1J pose. In this case, I picked out the CG intro remake since it uses a CG model which has more consistent proportions and doesn't have the exaggerated proportions of the hand drawn art of the original, so it's easier to get a feel of what's going on, but the pose is pretty much the same between the two.

883090087_SDFMintroremake.jpg.4689d0dc6ecb83e51ecf513795402df4.jpg

I don't have the 1J unfortunately so I'll have to made do with my 1S.

20200722_003324.jpg.5cf34379c6789ae58b5b5b9832aa683e.jpg

I did my best to duplicate the limb and head positions. The right shoulder was impossible because the CG model is glitched there and while the arm is moved back, the shoulder piece didn't budge. I tried to duplicate this with the 1/60, but I really couldn't get it to look right to a degree that I felt was passable.

Edit: Oh yeah, I also made the pictures smaller this time.

Edited by MacrossJunkie

2 minutes ago, RedComet said:

@MacrossJunkie If you really want to make a possibility point, put it in Gerwalk mode B))

Thanks :) Hopefully I've done a passable job in illustrating my point and pointing out things I could and could not do that I shouldn't really need to.

I imagine GERWALK mode more-so illustrates the benefits of a better center of gravity and the benefits of the non-ratcheted feet.

Well, I guess I didn't really get the purpose of my post across. You said that you didn't notice any advantages at all other than its larger size, so I was trying to illustrate the wide range of motion in the arms, legs, hands and head that could be done on the DX but not the 1/60 as well balance advantages due to the low center of gravity. So I put it in exaggerated and silly poses to illustrate said poseability.

I threw together a couple more pics with some side by side this time. I posed the DX first and then tried my very best to get as close to it as I could with the 1/60. In fact, I had to cheat a bit on the 1/60 to make it look closer than it was.

Side strafing while aiming at the enemy:

20200721_220521.jpg.90cc8ba96092df8120d6a2250abd053f.jpg

Here, comparing between the two, I could cock the head a little bit to get a better angle. The fingers and thumb on left hand on the DX could fully conform to the barrel. Even if I put fixed pose hands on the 1/60, it wouldn't conform nearly as well. The DX left leg could be angled out to look like it's pushing the valk ahead as the right foot is lifting off the ground. Due to the ratcheted feet with very few selectable angles, I couldn't do this and achieve balance at the same time so I had to find leg positions that allowed it to stand, thus the right foot is planted and the left leg had to use the gerwalk joint to simulate pushing off the ground, which works okay from this angle, but doesn't look right from the side. Also the 1/60 legs can't achieve a 90 degree bend or less. More like 100 degrees or so. The DX waist is tilted away to the right so while the legs are mostly facing forward, the torso is turned so it can fire forward. The 1/60 has no waist pivot so I had to turn the entire body and place it at a different angle to achieve a similar effect. Overall, I believe the DX looks more dynamic here.

20200721_223705.jpg.66a26cb673c3851dcbb14564a571df2c.jpg

Just another pose with similar leg positioning for comparison. Again, I believe the DX could achieve a more dynamic look.

Okay, now people might be saying, well MJ, you're probably just picking poses that favor the DX greatly. I'm really not. I'm just trying to showcase the advantage in poseability, but let's pick something that came out long before the DX was ever a thing: The end of the intro to SDFM with Hikaru's 1J pose. In this case, I picked out the CG intro remake since it uses a CG model which has more consistent proportions and doesn't have the exaggerated proportions of the hand drawn art of the original, so it's easier to get a feel of what's going on, but the pose is pretty much the same between the two.

883090087_SDFMintroremake.jpg.4689d0dc6ecb83e51ecf513795402df4.jpg

I don't have the 1J unfortunately so I'll have to made do with my 1S.

20200722_003324.jpg.5cf34379c6789ae58b5b5b9832aa683e.jpg

I did my best to duplicate the limb and head positions. The right shoulder was impossible because the CG model is glitched there and while the arm is moved back, the shoulder piece didn't budge. I tried to duplicate this with the 1/60, but I really couldn't get it to look right to a degree that I felt was passable.

Edit: Oh yeah, I also made the pictures smaller this time.

hmmm. nice poses!

lemme try your poses with my yammie hikkie-1S,,.

160v2-4-mj-1-.jpg.ed659fa5b4134c6ef73c721a078df485.jpg

160v2-4-mj-2.jpg.37bce3da1caf9d8315de7c5a6929cef5.jpg

fwiw, I don't really appreciate the DX's feature of disconnecting the t-bar to do swiveling. 

i'm already annoyed that it disconnects itself easily on its own on my DXs, anyway!

:bump:

At any rate, I still stand by my original assertion that the only advantage of the DX against the 1/60v2 to me is that the DX is just bigger.  None of its newer features really tops the old 1/60v2 to me. 

Don't get me wrong, tho.  I like the DX in battroid-mode.  I own all three so far released and the FP for the Hikkie. 

Except the missiles, which I've consciously boycotted since I don't appreciate Bandai's nickel-n-dime strategy with it.

That said, think I'm done with the DX after Roy-TV.  Not really interested in Kaki or any of the remaining ones. 

However, I might consider getting the Max-1S if Bandai ever makes it...

add/edit:

Really ain't that sure about your last shot's inspiration at all, so i'm just gonna dig up an old snapshot I posted here back in 2011 as inspired by the actual DYRL scene...

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/30854-strike-a-pose-v4-the-macross-mech-pose-thread/page/18/?tab=comments#comment-898210

hikky-mission-accomplished.jpg

HPIM1536.JPG

btw, that old 1100y yammie-stand is really still more awesome than the stand that Bandai includes with their DXs...

B))

Edited by treatment
add

51 minutes ago, Toonz said:

just curious...what's the maximum price you will pay for a set of DX Strike/Super parts now that these are hard to come by

if you want it, buy it at this current cost.

Accessories just tend to increase in price as more VF-1 toys is release and needs it.

But to answer your question, nothing in excess of 11,000 to 12,000 yen.