Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

Dammit. I wasn't expecting to get a VF-1S because I'd assumed it'd be the DYRL version and I have a TV-only rule for the Bandai 1/48's

Damn you Bandai!!!! *puts aside $300 in paypal for PO night*

Edited by Duymon

1 hour ago, Paco Grande said:

I wish all of you hunters good luck on PO night! I'll have a drink in your honor!

I mentioned this before on another Macross thread and I'll do it again. 

@DYRL VF-1S: Ready to do your drinking game for this round of pre-orders? One shot of Whiskey/Rye/Hibiki/Vodka for anyone that says "Cart Jacked, Wheel of Death, Website Crash"? :lol:

Or as the Klingon saying goes (with a little more addendum from me): "Indeed this is a good day to die and to enter the Gates of Sto'vo'kor".   

So after years of thinking the only differences between the TV and DYRL VF-1S Roy were the hands, cockpit instrumentation/controls, cockpit canopy, seat color, and shade of white...we can now add the VF-1S's head?  I can only assume this change has Kawamori's blessing because it is the first I ever heard of it.  Hope to get more info on this change on the Tamashii VF-1S DX page...

Not a fan of the new "TV" head...it looks kind of squashed to me...like the V1 Yamato's VF-1S head...just not as pronounced...still getting it though because....

691775.png

6 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Not a fan of the new "TV" head...it looks kind of squashed to me...like the V1 Yamato's VF-1S head...just not as pronounced...still getting it though because....

691775.png

Was waiting for someone to point this out!!!

I prefer Hikaru's 1S head, but I guess we'll get used to this head.

So maybe the  DYRL VF-1S head is indeed "different" from the TV head....and not simply just a more detailed version of it....

The only VF-1 head that was undebatably different between TV and DYRL versions was the VF-1A.  However, thinking more about it, the other 2 of the 4 VF-1 head units already received a "makeover" via Macross the First...the VF-1D and the VF-1J.  So, if the VF-1S was actually not just a more detailed version of the VF-1S head we saw during the TV series, then we actually already have every VF-1 head reconfigured since their original TV debuts......Perhaps that was Kawamori's original plan for DYRL, but only got around to doing the VF-1S and VF-1A...assuming the DYRL VF-1S was indeed "all-new" at the time....:db:

giphy.gif

Edited by jvmacross

23 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Wasn't Roy involved with the development of the VF-1? 

19 hours ago, sqidd said:

I think that was the VF-0? Or maybe both?

Both, for the record... but in the VF-0's case, Roy Focker's role was much less because he was a replacement for the original lead test pilot D.D. Ivanov.  Ivanov defected to the Anti-Unification Alliance and took the VF-0's development data with him, which was what allowed Sukhoi, IAI, and Dornier to rush their SV-51 to completion.  Roy was D.D.'s protege of sorts, and one of the lead test pilots on the VF-X-1.

21 hours ago, vlenhoff said:

"Roy Focker Special" was always its name since the 80s. I don't know why , but it was in the Galactic trade commission catalog i had. Roy's 1S was always named special. I'd imagine he prob had some special equipment, like 4 head lasers?

15 hours ago, tekering said:

38 years of merchandise reflects the exact same thing.  Roy's 1S and Hikaru's 1S are the hero mech, Max's 1S is as rarely seen as its brief appearance in the film, and... that's it.  No other 1S models were ever depicted onscreen, so no other 1S merchandise was produced (except for deliberately non-canon anniversary schemes and such).

While years of Robotech material had suggested otherwise, perhaps Roy's TV Valkyrie was always intended to represent a one-off custom, the VF-1Special.  :huh:

It's never really been clear why so much merchandise insistently calls it the "Roy Focker Special"... because there was never anything special about it in the show except the fact that it had a wicked cool paint job and sentimental value to Hikaru after Roy's passing.

It's not an ace custom or anything like that.  It's an utterly unremarkable, bog standard, Block 4 VF-1S Valkyrie identical in every way to the twenty-nine other VF-1S units the SDF-1 Macross carried during the First Space War (TV ver.).  The only significance it had was that it was Roy's aircraft, and later passed down to Hikaru as a memento of him.

Spoiler

Robotech's post-reboot (c.2001) stance was that Roy's VF-1S was the original "YF-1" prototype put into service as a production aircraft and then flown continuously until it was disassembled for structural analysis in 2015.

Macross's "non-canon" Variable Fighter Master File series of tech manuals offers an extremely half-hearted attempt to make it "special" by asserting that it was converted from the very first mass production VF-1 Valkyrie unit (Bu.No.2107906/1, a Block 1 VF-1A) by replacing all of its parts with Block 4 hardware.  So it's still indistinguishable from all of the other Block 4 VF-1S's the Macross had, it's just that it happens to have a significant bureau number because it structural frame belonged to the first VF-1.

15 hours ago, RedComet said:

Actually, it seemed like it really WAS the only 1S you ever saw on the TV show. They were common enough in DYRL but on TV there was really just the one 1S a couple of 1J and a whole sea of 1A.

Yeah... though even the oldest technical materials clearly indicate there were 29 others, Roy's is the only one we see because the SVF-1 Skulls are the only squadron we ever get an up-close look at.  

3 hours ago, Shawn said:

In Tenjin's Valkyrie book (vol 3) he specifically called out making a Kawamori-style compliant TV head

20200625_195924.jpg 

I assume he's referring to the fact that a lot of art of the VF-1S is subtly incorrect - particularly around the neck area - when compared to Kawamori's original line art.

There is, after all, only one set of art for the VF-1S's head... it's the same in the TV series and DYRL.

7 hours ago, Paco Grande said:

I agree. That's why I'm so tempted to just get it over with now. I'm guessing DYRL Roy will happen at least three releases from now. Maybe more. So possibly two years? I'll wait for the official pics and hopefully someone will do a side by side comparison with the Hikaru VF-1S so I can see the differences. 

I'll do a side by side with my custom DYRL Roy's for ya. Yeah, I'm gloating.:D

49 minutes ago, chyll2 said:

General release, next friday PO

https://tamashii.jp/special/macross/vf-1s_RFS/

Does this mean it's a web exclusive or standard release? I'm confused on this stuff. And if it is a web exclusive does that effect availability on release day? I'm not doing PO madness. Hopefully I can snag three on release day.

7 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Does this mean it's a web exclusive or standard release? I'm confused on this stuff. And if it is a web exclusive does that effect availability on release day? I'm not doing PO madness. Hopefully I can snag three on release day.

Looks like it's a slightly updated version of the stand that came with the VF-1J. Now with 5 angles, rather than just 3.

8 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Looks like it's a slightly updated version of the stand that came with the VF-1J. Now with 5 angles, rather than just 3.

Me thinks you quoted the wrong post.:D

My guess is you're tired. It's 1:15am in CA right? It's 4:15am here.....and I've been up working (well, working and screwing with toys) since 3:00am when I got up freaking about all the fires I need to put out today. I better get them taken care of in the next few hours. I foresee a "crash" coming on about 8am. I'm running on four consecutive high stress high physical output work days between 14 and 18hrs. My Whoop Strap is telling me I may actually be dead.:rofl:

Edited by sqidd

20 minutes ago, sqidd said:

General release means PO madness on HLJ, amiami, etc.

Web exclusive PO rush on FromJapan, buyee, white rabbit, etc

6 minutes ago, chyll2 said:

General release means PO madness on HLJ, amiami, etc.

Web exclusive PO rush on FromJapan, buyee, white rabbit, etc

Is this a general or web exclusive? Thanks!

1 minute ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Misread standard as stand. It's only 1:30.

:good:

Looks like I'm the one with the sleep deprivation IQ drop in this case.:crazy:

Edited by sqidd

Just now, Sanity is Optional said:

It's a normal release, as in not a web exclusive.

Will be on all the websites, no proxy required.

Nice, I'm going to assume that it will be about the same as Hikaru VF-1S release day then. I shouldn't have an issue picking three up.:good:

2 hours ago, Toonz said:

if the PO is on the 3rd July, then what's happening on 5th July?

1653076591_Screenshot2020-06-26at4_49_51PM.png.72d712c9e2fce1d5e283a19bcb537631.png

There is a tamashii nations event next weekend 4th and 5th, and macross is gonna be part of it. I think that’s going to be an opportunity to display roy’s skull leader valk to the public..

Edited by seti88

Is this new modified head going to be standard for all new released 1S (including DYRL Focker)? Or will it differentiate TV from DYRL?

Bandai considers it an updated mold?

Already have Hikaru's 1S and will try to get this Focker 1S TV. But I also want Roy's DYRL 1S with Strike Packs.

Edited by Ignacio Ocamica

I want to say 4:30pm Japan time but not 100%

Also, this is going to be a blood bath.  I anticipate paying a markup on PO eve or just trying to pick one up on release day.

Good luck everyone!

9 minutes ago, nathans82 said:

Woohoo, 12 am on next Friday for PO madness again for me. If anyone has an extra PF VF-0D, please hit me up.

Depending on how far I can/can't stretch my shelves I may have one available. I'm not sure I can keep track of reminding you. I'm super scattered right now. I think I will have mine by July 5-6th. PM me a reminder around then.:good: