Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

"Roy Focker Special" was always its name since the 80s. I don't know why , but it was in the Galactic trade commission catalog i had. Roy's 1S was always named special. I'd imagine he prob had some special equipment, like 4 head lasers?

3 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I've always just heard "Roy Focker Special" in the same vein as a celebrity vehicle.  It's just his ride.  I'm trying to think of more places where you would see that, but most aren't aircraft, they're more often limited edition cars.  It's a little beyond just customization, it's more like association with a particular person who owned or designed it, more like a Shelby Cobra.

This. In the music world, guitar companies often produce “signature” models based on the look of an instrument owned and used by a famous guitarist. Occasionally there will be technical features different from the standard edition, but usually just mimicking the look. 

Since it wasn’t the only VF-1S on the SDF-1, I really think what made Roy’s special was the paint scheme and the fact that he flew it.

9 minutes ago, Tenbatsu said:

Lol they fixed the 001

I don't have the DYRL 1S, but was the wrong modex on the right side?  That's great news if they finally fixed it, it would be a huge eyesore for me and I like to display mine in F mode.

6 minutes ago, rdrunner said:

I don't have the DYRL 1S, but was the wrong modex on the right side?  That's great news if they finally fixed it, it would be a huge eyesore for me and I like to display mine in F mode.

Yes, 100 instead of 001, bandai reversed the tampo.

This 1S TV PO is going to be a blood bath.

4 hours ago, ScrambledValkyrie said:

This. In the music world, guitar companies often produce “signature” models based on the look of an instrument owned and used by a famous guitarist. Occasionally there will be technical features different from the standard edition, but usually just mimicking the look. 

Since it wasn’t the only VF-1S on the SDF-1, I really think what made Roy’s special was the paint scheme and the fact that he flew it.

Actually, it seemed like it really WAS the only 1S you ever saw on the TV show. They were common enough in DYRL but on TV there was really just the one 1S a couple of 1J and a whole sea of 1A.

3 minutes ago, RedComet said:

Actually, it seemed like it really WAS the only 1S you ever saw on the TV show. They were common enough in DYRL but on TV there was really just the one 1S a couple of 1J and a whole sea of 1A.

Not to mention 1Ds, like the weird 1Ds in "Virgin Road/Wedding Bells"

Best places to try to preorder from? My search terms apparently suck and I ain't manually looking through 456 pages. 

Also, any of them that don't require funds immediately? Anyone had issues with POs not being filled and had to cancel/refund due to availabilty?

Thanks. 

I can't tell a difference with the head sculpt based on the pictures. Maybe when (or if) I have in hand I will be able to tell. It is a bummer they aren't including the DYRL Roy pilot but oh well. I am curious if the white plastic will match the previous releases or if it will be slightly different. Based on the pictures the white doesn't seem different.  

6 minutes ago, General Rasp said:

I can't tell a difference with the head sculpt based on the pictures. Maybe when (or if) I have in hand I will be able to tell. It is a bummer they aren't including the DYRL Roy pilot but oh well. I am curious if the white plastic will match the previous releases or if it will be slightly different. Based on the pictures the white doesn't seem different.  

The Roy has a more rounded/flatter/wider head.

And it (still) has yellow arrows on that mag-scan...

7 minutes ago, General Rasp said:

The TV head has softer rounded edges. The neck is different. The visor seems to be smaller too.

113327nd5k7xq8xtnbbbwy.jpg.595ea8f23a07b0925c16d0355eed0e0d.jpg

21 minutes ago, RedComet said:

They were common enough in DYRL but on TV there was really just the one 1S a couple of 1J and a whole sea of 1A.

38 years of merchandise reflects the exact same thing.  Roy's 1S and Hikaru's 1S are the hero mech, Max's 1S is as rarely seen as its brief appearance in the film, and... that's it.  No other 1S models were ever depicted onscreen, so no other 1S merchandise was produced (except for deliberately non-canon anniversary schemes and such).

While years of Robotech material had suggested otherwise, perhaps Roy's TV Valkyrie was always intended to represent a one-off custom, the VF-1Special.  :huh:

4 minutes ago, tekering said:

38 years of merchandise reflects the exact same thing.  Roy's 1S and Hikaru's 1S are the hero mech, Max's 1S is as rarely seen as its brief appearance in the film, and... that's it.  No other 1S models were ever depicted onscreen, so no other 1S merchandise was produced (except for deliberately non-canon anniversary schemes and such).

While years of Robotech material had suggested otherwise, perhaps Roy's TV Valkyrie was always intended to represent a one-off custom, the VF-1Special.  :huh:

^ Likely.

Roy was the Mega-ace of the UN Forces afterall...

^ ^ ^ ^ WOW, I never noticed that. We got some eagle eyes around here! ^ ^ ^ ^ 

As you can see in my avatar, i drew the TV 1S head from what i thought was the only one 1S head in the series. Does anyone know when the preorder starts? Can someone order one for me!!??? I will be away on the 26th, so... Damn, i want one of these, even if i have to sell one of my unicorns. 

Edited by vlenhoff
Content.

Quite a surprise Bandai giving it a head remold, although it doesn't look like there's much difference..

What would be nice, and a bigger difference at that, would be articulated TV hands. It could either be integrated TV hands, which due to transformation, will not be as big as the existing separate fixed posed ones, or just make it a bigger separate plug in and make it articulated. I believe either way would be a first for any VF-1 toy..

33 minutes ago, MKT said:

Quite a surprise Bandai giving it a head remold, although it doesn't look like there's much difference..

What would be nice, and a bigger difference at that, would be articulated TV hands. It could either be integrated TV hands, which due to transformation, will not be as big as the existing separate fixed posed ones, or just make it a bigger separate plug in and make it articulated. I believe either way would be a first for any VF-1 toy..

I really doubt we'll be getting articulated TV hands, they'd need to use some sort of ball or miniature figma joints, and it'd be quite fragile in either case.

The rounded "clown hands" are a really bad design for articulating at this size.

19 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

I really doubt we'll be getting articulated TV hands, they'd need to use some sort of ball or miniature figma joints, and it'd be quite fragile in either case.

The rounded "clown hands" are a really bad design for articulating at this size.

Also, I'm no slave to animation accuracy (and really it's not like the series didn't have a ton of inconsistencies anyway, though still a head above Transformers), and really think the Micky Mouse Gloves look bad. That said, maybe there is a market for such hands? Perhaps someone like Keith's Fantasy Club would make them if enough people wanted them and committed to buy for $25 a pop. Though Bandai seems a lot more on top of stopping 3rd Party Stuff than Takara, I don't think there's anything about Balloon hands with a certain size ball joint for the wrist that would be copyrightable.

Edited by RedComet

37 minutes ago, RedComet said:

That said, maybe there is a market for such hands?

I'm a fan of the TV style hands (even though I think the DYRL hands objectively look better) more for nostalgia sake than anything else.  I didn't like that they did not include TV style fists, so I made my own.  Even I wouldn't be too excited about articulated TV style hands; I don't think they would look right if they actually had any functional articulation (probably too skinny), so I think fixed-posed work fine for TV style needs.  Gun-gripping, splayed hand and fist are enough to cover basically any pose I want, though I do wish we had left gun grip and right splayed hands.

I have a hunch Bandai is going to try to package TV style fists with their GBP accessory, possibly up-scaled a bit. 

1 hour ago, vlenhoff said:

Even if they don't give us articulated tv hands, this thing is blowing my headgasket. 

BTW here is another valk i am drawing.

20200607_170032.jpg.b7f5f82776d3d925eb3bcb5c45cca80a.jpg20200607_170151.jpg.c9ea2caf62d51b4c74a3ac3429ef4314.jpg

Nice!

This reminds me - for the eventual DX VF-1 GBP armor release, I am hoping that Bandai will reissue the VF-1J with grey visor....

For my Yamato 1/48 VF-1J GBP, it just looks wrong paired with the white visor.

9 hours ago, rdrunner said:

New magazine scans. Courtesy Fu Ka on Macross FB group. 

EB2DCE73-BBC3-49CB-9284-8348D7BB757B.jpeg

35B40E00-D76F-44B0-B2A1-5B4FE53CFEBA.jpeg

It looks sooo good!! I was planning to wait for the DYRL version because I was only collecting DYRL. But to me other than the pilot and cockpit moulding the figure looks really close to the DYRL 1S already released. I have a feeling once the official photos roll out I’ll be powerless to resist. 

4 minutes ago, Paco Grande said:

It looks sooo good!! I was planning to wait for the DYRL version because I was only collecting DYRL. But to me other than the pilot and cockpit moulding the figure looks really close to the DYRL 1S already released. I have a feeling once the official photos roll out I’ll be powerless to resist. 

Not to mention that we may not see a DYRL release for awhile. Likely would be a Max or Hikaru 1A.  Gonna call it that DYRL Roy will be TWE.

15 minutes ago, Paco Grande said:

Don't worry. PO night will set you straight and will remind you that you didn't really want this anyways. 

10 minutes ago, Grey728 said:

Don't worry. PO night will set you straight and will remind you that you didn't really want this anyways. 

I only tried PO night once and it was so demoralizing I just buy the next day on NY for the markup now. I don't like doing that, but it's worth it for my sanity.

21 minutes ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

Not to mention that we may not see a DYRL release for awhile. Likely would be a Max or Hikaru 1A.  Gonna call it that DYRL Roy will be TWE.

I agree. That's why I'm so tempted to just get it over with now. I'm guessing DYRL Roy will happen at least three releases from now. Maybe more. So possibly two years? I'll wait for the official pics and hopefully someone will do a side by side comparison with the Hikaru VF-1S so I can see the differences.