Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

Yeah. I was eyeing a couple of the Yamato 1/48s with the unique color schemes, but every time I’m about to buy one I pick up my DX Max 1A and I’m like - why would I buy a figure I’d probably like less than the newer one?

(I keep asking myself the same question for why I’m keeping my renewal 25s, but there at least it’s not like there’s a new version).

I feel exactly the same, I initially thought I'd be happy with my Yamato 1/48 but the more I handle these Bandais the more I love them!  I just got the SSPs (NY delivered although I did order them in the first few minutes only to have to wait so long!) and my VF-1S seems new again, so hefty and poseable!  I may need to get another SSP - argh!

3 hours ago, jeniusornome said:

Yeah. I was eyeing a couple of the Yamato 1/48s with the unique color schemes, but every time I’m about to buy one I pick up my DX Max 1A and I’m like - why would I buy a figure I’d probably like less than the newer one?

(I keep asking myself the same question for why I’m keeping my renewal 25s, but there at least it’s not like there’s a new version).

It’s hard to beat some of the decos on those Yamato 1/48s. That and I still think there is a lot to love in them. Their simplicity but good looks was never done before and still hasn’t been done since.

3 hours ago, Slave IV said:

It’s hard to beat some of the decos on those Yamato 1/48s. That and I still think there is a lot to love in them. Their simplicity but good looks was never done before and still hasn’t been done since.

Great minds think alike.

5 hours ago, chyll2 said:

what do you think are the schemes that Bandai will not make? I think Angel Birds, Low Viz and Stealth

Honestly, if it isn't a J, A or S variant, I don't think we'll get it in this line.  If it never made an appearance in the TV show or movie, we won't get it in this line.  I think of this as basically a "greatest hits" of VF-1s with maybe a few extra (like Kakizaki) thrown in to fill out the line.

I think we'll get a full DYRL Skull squadron (including Roy).  We'll get GBP, either as a separate accessory, or as a bundle, possibly both.  TV Kakizaki has a decent shot of being made.  Maybe some kind of TV Skull leader package that comes with Roy and Hikaru pilots, and maybe TV super parts?  If TV supers get made, M&M 1Js get a lot more likely; otherwise I don't see them getting released.  Maybe a CF of some flavor.  

That's it.  Of course, I would like to be wrong on this one.

21 minutes ago, HardlyNever said:

Honestly, if it isn't a J, A or S variant, I don't think we'll get it in this line.  If it never made an appearance in the TV show or movie, we won't get it in this line.  I think of this as basically a "greatest hits" of VF-1s with maybe a few extra (like Kakizaki) thrown in to fill out the line.

I think we'll get a full DYRL Skull squadron (including Roy).  We'll get GBP, either as a separate accessory, or as a bundle, possibly both.  TV Kakizaki has a decent shot of being made.  Maybe some kind of TV Skull leader package that comes with Roy and Hikaru pilots, and maybe TV super parts?  If TV supers get made, M&M 1Js get a lot more likely; otherwise I don't see them getting released.  Maybe a CF of some flavor.  

That's it.  Of course, I would like to be wrong on this one.

Oh man, I hope that A) they sell GBP separately (Don't want to buy another 1J just to get it) and that B) we get M & M's Super valkyries, I would pay $1000 for that pair :D I feel like it's unlikely that we will see both a TV Kakizaki and a CF, maybe just one or the other...

30 minutes ago, HardlyNever said:

TV Kakizaki has a decent shot of being made.

5 minutes ago, RedComet said:

I feel like it's unlikely that we will see both a TV Kakizaki and a CF, maybe just one or the other...

Agreed because they’re the same thing. Except for Kakizaki’s Pilot name and Vermillion on canopy. Maybe a few other minor markings? Seems we would get Kaki over CF. I think you’re right @HardlyNever that it’s a best of rather than filling out a line.  HMR seems to be for that and they haven’t done anything on that in awhile.

I think we will get the following with a high probablility:

VF-1A TV Soldier with TV and DYRL head

VF-1A TV Kakizaki

VF-1S Roy DYRL*

VF-1A Max DYRL

VF-1A Hikaru DYRL

* if Bandai was feeling generous, they could possibly release this with an extra "TV" head, hands, and pilots and thus release a TV/DYRL all at once...however, the HMR release for Roy's VF-1S shows this as unlikely

I think we will get the following with a fair probablility:

VF-1J Max TV with Super Parts

VF-1J Milia TV with Super Parts

VF-1S Hikaru TV with Super Parts bonus "Roy TV" pilot

TV Super Parts - Standard....possibly with set of "TV" hands

TV/DYRL GBP Armor with "grey" visor VF-1J head, yellow/red missiles, TV/DYRL hands, TV/DYRL pilots

I feel that releasing the Max and Milia -1J's would be pointless without the Super Parts, but then again we are dealing with "sell you missiles separately" Bandai!

However, if they do go with the bundle for the M & M, I think there would be a good chance of selling a Super VF-1S TV Hikaru bundle and a GBP-1J bundle with yellow and red tipped missiles, plus the "hands set" they teased a while back....Bandai would most likey select some of these bundles as websclusives.

The following are just "wish" territory..........

To "end" the line.........

The first ever 1/48 PT "toy" of the....

VF-1D

VF-1D VR

VT-1 SuperOstrich

VE-1 ElintSeeker

I feel 2 or more of these releases would definitely be websclusive candidates....

And with that said, what else would be left that you could honestly say Bandai was being "lazy" in not releasing?  Sure you could point out that Yamato did release the VF-1A AngelBirds, VF-X, and Cavaliers....but all but one of those was originally done in conjunction with a third party.  Perhaps that could happen this time around, but so far that has not happened in the realm of Bandai Macross toys.  Possibly as webclusives I suppose and if they do that, may as well throw in the "Alaska Base" VF-1A.  As for the "non-cannon" Yamato 1/48's...I do not have high hopes for similar Bandai releases.

After the SDFM/DYRL releases, I hope Bandai goes into a sort of "VF Works" series (similar in concept to the VF100's series) where they start releasing "DX" scaled non-VF-1's.....they have already started that with the YF-19 and upcoming YF-21, so keeping these releases in their Chogokin line would work too I suppose.  I would think either a DX  VF-11B or VF-19 Kai would be next in line.  However, I wouldn't mind this type of series to be done using their "HMR" scale.

45 minutes ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

Agreed because they’re the same thing. Except for Kakizaki’s Pilot name and Vermillion on canopy. Maybe a few other minor markings? Seems we would get Kaki over CF. I think you’re right @HardlyNever that it’s a best of rather than filling out a line.  HMR seems to be for that and they haven’t done anything on that in awhile.

TV Kaki and CF have noticeably different color schemes:  Kaki has white chest and back with brown shoulders, while CF has brown chest and back with white shoulders.

13 minutes ago, Mog said:

TV Kaki and CF have noticeably different color schemes:  Kaki has white chest and back with brown shoulders, while CF has brown chest and back with white shoulders.

Worse yet, Yamato, the only company to have actually released both, additionally went with different shades of "brown"...;)

At both 1/60 and 1/48!

Edited by jvmacross

29 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

After the SDFM/DYRL releases, I hope Bandai goes into a sort of "VF Works" series (similar in concept to the VF100's series) where they start releasing "DX" scaled non-VF-1's.....they have already started that with the YF-19 and upcoming YF-21, so keeping these releases in their Chogokin line would work too I suppose.  I would think either a DX  VF-11B or VF-19 Kai would be next in line.  However, I wouldn't mind this type of series to be done using their "HMR" scale.

IMG_5540.JPG

I fee like that might be what VALKYRIE PROJECT is about.  Creating DX versions of the most iconic valks in the Macross franchise.  But they really haven't said much about it outside of just including that logo in some displays, so maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Maybe it only pertains the the VF-1.

7 hours ago, nightmareB4macross said:

Great minds think alike.

Haha, yeah I’ll never get rid of mine and if anything, I still keep an eye out to buy more when I find deals on certain ones. 

7 hours ago, chyll2 said:

what do you think are the schemes that Bandai will not make? I think Angel Birds, Low Viz and Stealth

I think any deco that appeared in any official media is a strong possibility. Plus a few special decos like anniversary or other ones with silly images or colors but not cool, realistic decos like the Low-Vis stuff Yamato made. 

8 minutes ago, HardlyNever said:

IMG_5540.JPG

I fee like that might be what VALKYRIE PROJECT is about.  Creating DX versions of the most iconic valks in the Macross franchise.  But they really haven't said much about it outside of just including that logo in some displays, so maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Maybe it only pertains the the VF-1.

The message seems to mention "2" sizes....so perhaps they are referring to DX and HMR.....makes sense when you also combine this message to their display showing VF's in different scales shown at the same show if I remember correctly....

01.jpg

Bandai seems to be good at "hiding" their intentions in plain sight...lol....look at their HMR VF-4....maybe we will actually get the M & M versions....

AXZT-nxgbwk9KBAe1r9h4ADjSk4OHReUETCAiySM

So maybe "Valkyrie Project" is a general plan across several lines that will do exactly that.....bring to life several VFs from the Macross-verse...the Macross Plus entries seem to provide some evidence towards that plan....Bandai has never been so generous with their Macross license, so if we want more, we will need to continue to speak with our wallets.

My only complaint would be not sticking to a single scale...

I do not mind if they never "shrink" their current DX VF-1 to match the rest of their DX lineup since the Yamato/Arcadia 1/60 fills in just about as good as it can get.

3 hours ago, Mog said:

3 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Worse yet, Yamato, the only company to have actually released both, additionally went with different shades of "brown"...;)

At both 1/60 and 1/48!

Huh. How bout that. Thanks! Guess I never really paid close attention. And I didn’t dive into Yamato.

19 minutes ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

I really want a proper DX Fire VF-19. For reals

That front row is only missing one actual release....:rolleyes:

At the going rate, you may actually get your "want" before I get mine....the HMR Tomahawk and Phalanx....:cray:

01.jpg

.....and who is that dude standing in front of the Macross Zero display....did anyone ever spill the beans on their approximate scale?  DX or HMR?  I'm guessing HMR....:unknw:

Edited by jvmacross

8 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

That front row is only missing one actual release....:rolleyes:

At the going rate, you may actually get your "want" before I get mine....the HMR Tomahawk and Phalanx....:cray:

01.jpg

.....and who is that dude standing in front of the Macross Zero display....did anyone ever spill the beans on their approximate scale?  DX or HMR?  I'm guessing HMR....:unknw:

Haha right?! That Zero looks tempting too! Can’t make the scale out at all.

Hey I’d be happy with those HMRs too! But prefer the VF-19 first haha

Edited by DYRL VF-1S

I think they’ll stick to the iconic designs with recognizable big scenes. 

the Hikaru 1J - the TV opening sequence. 
the Hikaru 1S - end of DYRL

the Max 1A - the dogfight with Milia

other likely mainline candidates: yellow 1S, possibly 1D.

I’m sure there were iconic scenes with a few other mecha but I doubt Max and Milia 1Js would be a mainline release. Same with all the other DYRL color schemes. 

all these non-Show, non-movie paint schemes Yamato did, we’ll never see those again. Anything else I’d expect TWE at best.

Edited by jeniusornome

20 hours ago, jvmacross said:

The message seems to mention "2" sizes....so perhaps they are referring to DX and HMR.....makes sense when you also combine this message to their display showing VF's in different scales shown at the same show if I remember correctly....

Could be.  The only things I've seen associated so far are the VF-1s and the YF-19 (that sign was in a display with the 1/48 Hikaru VF-1J and the 1/60 YF-19).  There is a YF-19 video with the "VALKYRIE PROJECT" branding:

So 1/48 and 1/60 could be the "2 sizes."  But honestly, that sign is kind of hard to parse, even with (because of?) machine translation.  

Oddly, their yf-21 tease didn't seem to have any "VALKYRIE PROJECT" branding, at least not what I saw.  But that could be because is still in development.

It can be pretty hard to figure out what Bandai is doing, though.  They may have dropped the whole "VALKYRIE PROJECT" thing already.

I’m really new to the hobby of collecting models. I got my DX VF-1S on shipping and due Monday :) I’ve been eying the fast pack and you got 4 skulls inside the box, the only one not released of those is Roy. Is this a heads up to a coming “Roy”?  Or maybe it’s standard to have four colors in the fast pack box? 

1 hour ago, Jesper77 said:

I’m really new to the hobby of collecting models. I got my DX VF-1S on shipping and due Monday :) I’ve been eying the fast pack and you got 4 skulls inside the box, the only one not released of those is Roy. Is this a heads up to a coming “Roy”?  Or maybe it’s standard to have four colors in the fast pack box? 

The TV Max doesn’t match the movie style strike parts (tail fins # and skull #) No sign of a Roy yet, but if you wanted to undertake an elaborate customization project, I am 100% sure that a Hikaru 1S could be turned into great looking Roy Focker 1S. And then you wouldn’t have to wait 2 years...

Edited by RedComet

10 minutes ago, Jesper77 said:

The blue is for the Max 1A that hasn't been released yet, either (just teased).  Technically DYRL Kakizaki hasn't been released either, but there has been a preorder.

The black is indeed intended for Roy, who hasn't really been teased yet (we haven't actually seen a Roy VF-1S in plastic yet).  The chances of them NOT making him at some point are ridiculously low.  So if you plan on getting one, buy enough fast packs accordingly.

The emblem that is "missing" is the red 011 for Hikaru 1A.  The included red one is intended for Hikaru 1S.  Maybe Bandai will include the correct emblem with the Hikaru 1A; maybe they won't care and just expect us to use the red one we already have.

39 minutes ago, HardlyNever said:

Maybe Bandai will include the correct emblem with the Hikaru 1A; maybe they won't care and just expect us to use the red one we already have.

We've seen the 011 emblem on the displays of Hikaru's 1A.  I'd be surprised if there weren't a way to acquire them or have them included.  They won't expect us to just use the 001 or we wouldn't have seen physical evidence of the 011 IMO.