Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

2 minutes ago, David Hingtgen said:

Missiles aren't as cool as the Angel Birds' beamsaber:

AngelBird1S2.gif

THAT is the add-on we need from Bandai for a 1/48 VF-1A...

What is that from? I don't remember that.

On 2/22/2020 at 10:47 PM, SuperHobo said:

I was able to take the screwcover off via a super thin hobby tool. Only a tiny corner was glued in. Now, to fix the rest of the thigh....

Did you ever get around to taking it all apart? Mine just straight up broke day one due to the loose screw. Not sure how to proceed with taking the pin out of the joint to loctite the screw back in and repair the peg. I can display it in fighter mode but I have the super parts for it too and I can't use those with it in this state

44 minutes ago, last_raven said:

Did you ever get around to taking it all apart? Mine just straight up broke day one due to the loose screw. Not sure how to proceed with taking the pin out of the joint to loctite the screw back in and repair the peg. I can display it in fighter mode but I have the super parts for it too and I can't use those with it in this state

I fixed mine after getting some advice from a guy on FB. First, get yourself a baggie of this exact size tiny screw It’s Only 1mm longer than the original, but makes a big difference  (Found mine at the Home Depot, <$1 for 2)

857C94FD-5A48-438B-8E4D-AF0D1028E710.jpeg.2ae2d242348076199b47409bca97286d.jpeg

Put loctite on it, let it sit for 30 minutes while you do the next step.

then you will need to disassemble the leg, starting with the cover as said. After that screw is out you have to gently but firmly pull the thigh apart. This will give you access to the  gray accordion looking piece of plastic. There is a screw attaching that to the metal part of the hinge, unscrew that. 

Now comes the really fun part, bend the hinge out as far as you can, then With the side that broke off flat on the ground, take a drill and drill down as straight as you can (Which will kind of go through the hinge top piece of metal at a diagonal angle directly towards where the screw is to make a hole just wide enough to put a small Phillips head screwdriver through. (Sorry the picture isn’t a bit better) Then it will look like this. This will let you actually put in a screwdriver in a way that will let you turn the screws you need to turn to fix the break.
394C2DD7-1F60-442C-98C0-2DA0BEC9DBBE.jpeg.b6d26b36fe51f3f35373d24c2304280c.jpeg

Then before actually trying to reattach it to the top piece with the new screw, I would undo the three screws that hold it to the hip join. Now you should be able to re-screw it in, one of my tabs was broken so I also applied a good amount of modeling glue that is supposed to be able to bind metal to plastic All around where the screw goes in the hole, but not in the actual hole itself, which is what Loctite is for. Line the screw up, gently re-screw it into the hole, it should connect snuggly, and let that part all dry for an hour. Then just carefully reassemble everything. It isn’t what I would call an easy fix, but better than just writing off a $300 figure right?

Edited by RedComet

3 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Holy $#!+, I've never seen tha before and the animation is fantastic! Thanks for sharing!

I especially like that the Arcadia and Yamato are docked to the Macross, instead of Daedalus and Prometheus.   Now where I have heard of that combo (Yamato/Arcadia/Macross) before...?  :D  

4 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Wow the best of Jap animation quality in its era! And no wonder, after Googling the talents behind it.. Though now when I look at the SDF-1 on my shelf, I should just have gotten a radish in place of it. :lol:

4 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Holy $#!+, I've never seen tha before and the animation is fantastic! Thanks for sharing!

That brings a smile to my face when someone discovers something for the first time! It always reminds me of this comic

https://xkcd.com/1053/

How I wish I could go back in time and re-discover some Macross items as if it was the first time, ha!!!  :)

ten_thousand.png

1 hour ago, David Hingtgen said:

I especially like that the Arcadia and Yamato are docked to the Macross, instead of Daedalus and Prometheus.   Now where I have heard of that combo (Yamato/Arcadia/Macross) before...?  :D  

To anyone who may not be aware...the Arcadia joins the fight during episode 27.....keep your eyes at the lower left-hand side of the screen immediately after  the appearances of both Britai and Lap Lamiz

33 minutes ago, Shawn said:

That brings a smile to my face when someone discovers something for the first time! It always reminds me of this comic

https://xkcd.com/1053/

How I wish I could go back in time and re-discover some Macross items as if it was the first time, ha!!!  :)

ten_thousand.png

Haha, if anything, it’s more fun to make fun of or just plain laugh at know it alls. People who think they know everything or try to make it seem like they do by spouting off a ton of info no one cares about. It’s great to learn and discover new things!

12 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

Missiles aren't as cool as the Angel Birds' beamsaber:

AngelBird1S2.gif

THAT is the add-on we need from Bandai for a 1/48 VF-1A...

It's the fact that the beam saber is kept in its had that has me scratching my head.

8 hours ago, RedComet said:

I fixed mine after getting some advice from a guy on FB. First, get yourself a baggie of this exact size tiny screw It’s Only 1mm longer than the original, but makes a big difference  (Found mine at the Home Depot, <$1 for 2)

857C94FD-5A48-438B-8E4D-AF0D1028E710.jpeg.2ae2d242348076199b47409bca97286d.jpeg

Put loctite on it, let it sit for 30 minutes while you do the next step.

then you will need to disassemble the leg, starting with the cover as said. After that screw is out you have to gently but firmly pull the thigh apart. This will give you access to the  gray accordion looking piece of plastic. There is a screw attaching that to the metal part of the hinge, unscrew that. 

Now comes the really fun part, bend the hinge out as far as you can, then With the side that broke off flat on the ground, take a drill and drill down as straight as you can (Which will kind of go through the hinge top piece of metal at a diagonal angle directly towards where the screw is to make a hole just wide enough to put a small Phillips head screwdriver through. (Sorry the picture isn’t a bit better) Then it will look like this. This will let you actually put in a screwdriver in a way that will let you turn the screws you need to turn to fix the break.
394C2DD7-1F60-442C-98C0-2DA0BEC9DBBE.jpeg.b6d26b36fe51f3f35373d24c2304280c.jpeg

Then before actually trying to reattach it to the top piece with the new screw, I would undo the three screws that hold it to the hip join. Now you should be able to re-screw it in, one of my tabs was broken so I also applied a good amount of modeling glue that is supposed to be able to bind metal to plastic All around where the screw goes in the hole, but not in the actual hole itself, which is what Loctite is for. Line the screw up, gently re-screw it into the hole, it should connect snuggly, and let that part all dry for an hour. Then just carefully reassemble everything. It isn’t what I would call an easy fix, but better than just writing off a $300 figure right?

Great tutorial...can you do a video?...:) thank you.

17 hours ago, Slave IV said:

I guess I'm one of the only ones that doesn't mind the posts. It seems like enabling at its finest since I don't necessarily want to check or subscribe to threads but love it when I see a deal on something I might want or didn't think I wanted until I saw the deal. 

I also don't mind- it's one thing if they get excessive, but I like seeing a listing related to the toy category we're discussing when it is a good deal, whereas I'm less likely to think about, say, looking for HMR deal in the Mandarake and Jungle threads on a regular basis.

17 hours ago, Slave IV said:

I guess I'm one of the only ones that doesn't mind the posts. It seems like enabling at its finest since I don't necessarily want to check or subscribe to threads but love it when I see a deal on something I might want or didn't think I wanted until I saw the deal. 

19 minutes ago, vladykins said:

I also don't mind- it's one thing if they get excessive, but I like seeing a listing related to the toy category we're discussing when it is a good deal, whereas I'm less likely to think about, say, looking for HMR deal in the Mandarake and Jungle threads on a regular basis.

I don't mind the notifications either. Some people are way too uptight about such things.

14 hours ago, mark-1s said:

Seriously,  a VF with a beam saber? Madness!

It's nothing new. :rolleyes:

1660953529_deltasabers01.jpg.d04f4a5c6151b8a4451c0eeb389c4ea1.jpg

8 hours ago, jvmacross said:

To anyone who may not be aware...the Arcadia joins the fight during episode 27.....keep your eyes at the lower left-hand side of the screen immediately after  the appearances of both Britai and Lap Lamiz

Oooh nice call out!

7 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Haha, if anything, it’s more fun to make fun of or just plain laugh at know it alls. People who think they know everything or try to make it seem like they do by spouting off a ton of info no one cares about. It’s great to learn and discover new things!

That’s one of the things I find awesome about interacting with you good sir! Btw, I’m still at a loss for what the heck I’m looking at in that Angel Bird vid? Another anime paying homage?

30 minutes ago, General Rasp said:

Man do I love and miss that era of animation. In my opinion nothing has topped that era. 

Agreed, the golden era of anime. The video was done by Daicon film which would turn into Gainax, famous for Evangelion. They made the video with only 12 people and with limited resources and no copyright approval at the time , just pure passionate fans doing what they love. 

1 hour ago, Skull-wan said:

Agreed, the golden era of anime. The video was done by Daicon film which would turn into Gainax, famous for Evangelion. They made the video with only 12 people and with limited resources and no copyright approval at the time , just pure passionate fans doing what they love. 

I have a soft spot for that 80's style of anime. Call it nostalgia or whatever, but damn, my first exposure to anime was a crappy VHS tape of DYRL and Megazone 23 that my older brother's friend had given us (a copy of a copy of a copy) and my little 12 year old brain was blown away.

I wish I could forget all my responsibilities for my job and family and just watch 80's anime all day long instead!

1 hour ago, Jello said:

I have a soft spot for that 80's style of anime. Call it nostalgia or whatever, but damn, my first exposure to anime was a crappy VHS tape of DYRL and Megazone 23 that my older brother's friend had given us (a copy of a copy of a copy) and my little 12 year old brain was blown away.

I wish I could forget all my responsibilities for my job and family and just watch 80's anime all day long instead!

Why not watch with your family, keep your job, while fulfilling your adult duties & obligations

32 minutes ago, Agent-GHQ said:

Why not watch with your family, keep your job, while fulfilling your adult duties & obligations

I wish...but wife doesn't like anime, kids are too young for it or can't pay attention long enough. Between work and family, there's no time/energy left. Just the occasional forum check during work hours. 

3 hours ago, Jello said:

I had that once. It was called being a kid. Unfortunately, during that time I also couldn't afford to buy all this cool stuff or do all those wonderful things that money lets you do, like traveling. :lol:

7 hours ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

Oooh nice call out!

That’s one of the things I find awesome about interacting with you good sir! Btw, I’m still at a loss for what the heck I’m looking at in that Angel Bird vid? Another anime paying homage?

Haha yeah! The group here is great overall but I’m sure we all know someone like that.

I had to look up this whole Daicon thing myself and others already answered your question about that. I agree that I love that era of animation and I had to look up their Daicon III clip as well. Fun stuff!

9 hours ago, vladykins said:

It's the fact that the beam saber is kept in its had that has me scratching my head.

I think it works super-well being the head-laser. I'd argue it's more kept ON its head, than in it.  :)   A VF-1J could dual-wield!  A VF-1S would have 4, and maybe wield the extra pair tonfa-style like the Unicorn Gundam...