Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

1 hour ago, sqidd said:

I was going to pull the trigger in January. Then he let me know the wait time. I thought, "The world could end between now and then" ..................and then this happened. So the pandemic is my fault. Sorry guys.:p

And here I was thinking that was yours he was working on.

Wow pleasantly surprised that my single strike pack just missed Golden Week. I got a shipping notice on the 24th from NY and it just arrived for processing in Canada today. Now I just have to wait and see how long Canada Post takes. Apparently there is a significant backlog with all the online ordering going on, but at least it made it out of Japan.

Lucky you @Nerd-linger  Same situation here, got shipping notice 24th, then "Arrival at outward office of exchange" on 25th where it's sitting, and nothing.  What's worse is I have another package from the 17th stuck at "Posting/Collection" with no movement at all - argh!  I just hope they don't lose it among the avalanche - maybe the bright side is with all these packages, they don't have enough man-power to screen for customs & duty?!

3 hours ago, Nerd-linger said:

Wow pleasantly surprised that my single strike pack just missed Golden Week. I got a shipping notice on the 24th from NY and it just arrived for processing in Canada today. Now I just have to wait and see how long Canada Post takes. Apparently there is a significant backlog with all the online ordering going on, but at least it made it out of Japan.

3 hours ago, wm cheng said:

Lucky you @Nerd-linger  Same situation here, got shipping notice 24th, then "Arrival at outward office of exchange" on 25th where it's sitting, and nothing.  What's worse is I have another package from the 17th stuck at "Posting/Collection" with no movement at all - argh!  I just hope they don't lose it among the avalanche - maybe the bright side is with all these packages, they don't have enough man-power to screen for customs & duty?!

I have a funny feeling that at least one (or both) of my packages from Japan via EMS is going to get nabbed for Customs when it gets to the Vancouver Sorting Depot. If what you mentioned is correct @wm cheng, there is that possibility that CBSA is going to bypass all screening for Imported Hobby Goods from Japan.

DHL is most likely to get snagged for Customs in Canada and it depends if any Japanese Hobby stores place the item at the lower value or not, plus labeling the package as a "Collectable Item" is highly going to get curious eyes looking at it. 

Edit: @Smackyand @Darth Mingus both replied about CBSA Fees on April 9th and 10th.

I've had three/four Amazon.jp packages that got delivered by DHL and not get booked for Customs due to the fact that included it in the pricing to set it to Vancouver. 

Edited by borgified

11 hours ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

SDF-1... now you got me thinking.  A TV 1/3000 would actually be really cool to get done...

I'm having a custom Matchbox SDF-1 done right now. Cel shading was an option I really wanted. But then I thought about my display that it goes in and how it would look with a bunch of HMR's not cel shaded. I didn't think it would look right and I'm not getting a squadron of HMR's done so I passed. Now I'm second guessing myself.

Doorbell rang about 15 minutes ago and this was waiting for me outside, courtesy of NY (via UPS). This has been the smoothest and fastest transaction I've ever had with them, which included a last-minute change to my shipping method. It will probably never happen again, so I'm savoring it. The set I ordered through FJ, shipped via EMS, hasn't moved at all in the past ten days. I don't expect to see it for a few months.

20200428_101712.jpg

Whelp... for anyone interested, I was able to get my refund from PayPal for the SSPs at NY.  It took some time on the phone with a super nice lady but we were able to resolve.  Thankfully, I didn't have any other orders with them.  It's a shame because if they just did what other shops are doing and offered their customers a little more support than just "we'll hold it for you or you can pay a billion dollars more for UPS," I'd be able to continue shopping with them.

My AJ order already shipped and should be here tomorrow.

15 minutes ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

Whelp... for anyone interested, I was able to get my refund from PayPal for the SSPs at NY.  It took some time on the phone with a super nice lady but we were able to resolve.  Thankfully, I didn't have any other orders with them.  It's a shame because if they just did what other shops are doing and offered their customers a little more support than just "we'll hold it for you or you can pay a billion dollars more for UPS," I'd be able to continue shopping with them.

My AJ order already shipped and should be here tomorrow.

Good that you were still able to get your money back. I wouldn't defend them and with the SSP, they fraked over the supposed "early" buyers but what "little more" customer support were you hoping for in the current situation?

I mean, the shipping problem right now isn't something they can control. They only had UPS as their option for courier services as far as I remember so it's either hold the item until JP Post operates normally again or use UPS.

2 hours ago, crackpot said:

Good that you were still able to get your money back. I wouldn't defend them and with the SSP, they fraked over the supposed "early" buyers but what "little more" customer support were you hoping for in the current situation?

I mean, the shipping problem right now isn't something they can control. They only had UPS as their option for courier services as far as I remember so it's either hold the item until JP Post operates normally again or use UPS.

It seems to me that feeling the need to respond actually is defending them to the degree that you've outlined.  Which is totally cool - let's just call it what it is.  You have a right to your opinion.  I'm super glad that you have patience for their situation.  It's just not the level of customer service that I require at the moment.  As I've stated before, they operate on a grade "C" for my preference, and that works on most days just fine for me.  However, these are unprecedented times, and their customer service and logistics are being "stress tested" if you will.  Unfortunately, what they are able to provide is not good enough for me.

So you ask what "little more" I would hope for in the current situation and outline the dilemma as one they can't control?  Easy answer for me - take a look at Mandarake, Mykombini, and many others who are choosing to create a solution beyond "oh wellll."  Mandarake is offering free DHL upgrade in certain situations as reported by others in THIS thread likely at a loss at times.  Or Mykombini that only had JP Post as far as I know and now has negotiated FedEx at a discounted rate.  Instead, NY is only willing to upgrade to UPS for an exorbitant fee or to simply indefinitely hold.  No offer for refund (which Mandarake is also willing to do and offering). 

None of these other shops can control the situation any more than NY.  It's not my responsibility to fix their logistics department or their business model.  It's my choice to buy from them or not, which at this point they won't allow anyway since I went to PayPal.  Now, let's take Hobby Search for example.  I had an issue with them and had to involve PayPal unfortunately.  They were so apologetic and cool about it.  I would buy from them again in a heartbeat (and have).  Manda?  It's been almost two weeks since my package was returned to them.  Am I going to PayPal over them?  No, because I have absolute confidence that they will take care of me and am understanding of their situation.  Their response to me was amazing.

Anyway, it's a slippery slope to comment on something like this because it starts to eat up space on a thread dedicated to 1/48 DX; not Nippon-Yasan.  We can take that conversation HERE if you have further opinion on it.

Edited by DYRL VF-1S

Had NY processed the orders for the people who immediately purchased the items from their store, those people would have received their orders as part of the FIRST allotment... I shouldn't be getting screwed by the pandemic because I should already own my strike parts. Fortunately for me, I won't have a toy to go along with them until August so I can wait but that doesn't excuse NY's service. These are now the only kind of orders I put in with NY... the ones where I know that if it takes them two years to deliver, it won't bother me too much. 

5 minutes ago, jenius said:

Had NY processed the orders for the people who immediately purchased the items from their store, those people would have received their orders as part of the FIRST allotment... I shouldn't be getting screwed by the pandemic because I should already own my strike parts. Fortunately for me, I won't have a toy to go along with them until August so I can wait but that doesn't excuse NY's service. These are now the only kind of orders I put in with NY... the ones where I know that if it takes them two years to deliver, it won't bother me too much. 

Exactly, and just to clarify my stance, I ordered in the first few hours that they posted the listing and should've been in the first run as you stated.

49 minutes ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

It seems to me that feeling the need to respond actually is defending them to the degree that you've outlined.  Which is totally cool - let's just call it what it is.  You have a right to your opinion.  I'm super glad that you have patience for their situation.  It's just not the level of customer service that I require at the moment.  As I've stated before, they operate on a grade "C" for my preference, and that works on most days just fine for me.  However, these are unprecedented times, and their customer service and logistics are being "stress tested" if you will.  Unfortunately, what they are able to provide is not good enough for me.

You're mistaking me for slaveIV. :p If anything, I've always been vocal on how crappy NY is if you go through my posts. I never defended them for their lack of honesty. Expecting them though to contract another courier is a bit much. Not everybody is offering alternate shipping methods even the better retailers. Yes, they screwed over the early buyers of the SSP but you weren't as annoyed then if I recall. Like I said, it's good you got your money back. I would have done the same if I were in your position. 

Also, I think it's time to let go of that NY thread you made. You yourself are posting your NY complaints here and I would do too. 

Edited by crackpot

17 minutes ago, crackpot said:

Also, I think it's time to let go of that NY thread you made. You yourself are posting your NY complaints here and I would do too. 

Nah...it's too fun to keep pointing back to it.  And if I cared enough to further the convo on it, I would just post there. 8)  Never say die.never-say-die-41562344.png.94847a448ab9b491ce48b016eddca5ca.png

Oops...wrong Skull....

2 hours ago, RedComet said:

I think what LEK has undertaken with the DX is just phenomenal. Is $750 for the figure and the work or just the work and you have to supply the figure? I am working on a batch of custom DX VF-1S figures, but can't touch that!

You send him your toy and pay him $750 to paint it.

12 minutes ago, sqidd said:

You send him your toy and pay him $750 to paint it.

Holy Crap! That’s really a lot! And I am guessing that doesn’t include shipping? I am trying to keep my project under $550/each INCLUDING the cost of the DX VF-1S B)) cause who has $1100 to spend on a Valk?

1 hour ago, RedComet said:

Holy Crap! That’s really a lot! And I am guessing that doesn’t include shipping? I am trying to keep my project under $550/each INCLUDING the cost of the DX VF-1S B)) cause who has $1100 to spend on a Valk?

55 minutes ago, sqidd said:

:rolleyes:

Excuse me? Spending more than $1100 than a valk?

Rant here:

Then what about tuition fees that cost $2000+ depending on what your planing to major in, engagement ring to your fiancee, buying a condo/house, top if of the line cellphone (IE: Apple 11 Pro Max that costs over a Gino and then a newer model of the phone goes up for sale a year later with more bling bling).

Oh yeah.. I'm going to get flack for not spending over 25k yen on a Macross collectable because I know my limit; however, I did it three times on the following DXs: YF-19 Full Set, YF-30 and the 1s with the Full Kit and caboodle.

I say if anyone has enough $$$ to spend on the luxuries, then go ahead. Where not supposed to judge on others about spending, however to each there own taste.  

End Rant. :diablo:

3 hours ago, RedComet said:

That is *a lot* more than I used to charge back in the day to customize Yamato 1/48s, even accounting for inflation. He's operating at a completely different level, though.

A G is a relatively large amount of money. But in the world of art and luxury collectibles, it’s not insane. Some paintings by basic no names go for well over a G and this is a 3D painted masterpiece. Money well deserved for his amazing work. That being said, too rich for my blood but I’m still gonna send him something like a DX Roy VF-1S with SSP someday. 

13 hours ago, Slave IV said:

A G is a relatively large amount of money. But in the world of art and luxury collectibles, it’s not insane. Some paintings by basic no names go for well over a G and this is a 3D painted masterpiece. Money well deserved for his amazing work. That being said, too rich for my blood but I’m still gonna send him something like a DX Roy VF-1S with SSP someday. 

If you want a DX Roy VF-1S, that's exactly what my customs this summer will be. They won't be cell shaded, but they will be high quality. I am doing them all enamel for durability, with light weathering on that (unless people specify otherwise) then all sealed in a clear coat. Even doing small details like changing the cockpit name/rank and painting the figure helmets yellow. And you can have 2 of them complete for the price of one LEK

9 minutes ago, RedComet said:

If you want a DX Roy VF-1S, that's exactly what my customs this summer will be. They won't be cell shaded, but they will be high quality. I am doing them all enamel for durability, with light weathering on that (unless people specify otherwise) then all sealed in a clear coat. Even doing small details like changing the cockpit name/rank and painting the figure helmets yellow. And you can have 2 of them complete for the price of one LEK

Tempting. Could you link to some examples of your work?

2 minutes ago, Grey728 said:

Tempting. Could you link to some examples of your work?

I'm not an artist, so I teamed up with a guy who actually is (makes his living that way, not just a hobbyist). So I did the designs and water slide decals, planning and sourcing of figures etc. He will be painting the first two this week, and I will definitely be posting some pics here, so stay tuned!

2 hours ago, RedComet said:

I'm not an artist, so I teamed up with a guy who actually is (makes his living that way, not just a hobbyist). So I did the designs and water slide decals, planning and sourcing of figures etc. He will be painting the first two this week, and I will definitely be posting some pics here, so stay tuned!

Were you the guy on FB coordinating that deal to convert Hikaru's into Roys?