Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

27 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

There was another for 25,000 unopened, but someone already got it.

There's a 1S on Mandarake for ¥30K and it hasn't immediately disappeared, which is an encouraging sign:

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1128011520

Going price on AJ for it seems to move between ¥25K and ¥29K with free domestic shipping. I picked one up last week for ¥25K, had it shipped to my Tenso address, and it's currently sitting in customs at LAX.

And there's a Max for ¥20K on Mandarake, too:

https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1121403386

Maybe prices are starting to stabilize, although NY hasn't caught up to reality yet. They're still asking ¥32,250 for the 1S and ¥24K for Max. :blink:

Gives me hope that I can avoid PO Madness from now on. But then Bandai will announce the Roy 1S and it will be a bloodbath.

buy it now for the combo is usually around 36k yen, so I would assume final bid would be around that price. But in any case, never hurts to try if you want the combo, who knows, the other bidders might be sleeping or something.

9 hours ago, Anasazi37 said:

Maybe prices are starting to stabilize, although NY hasn't caught up to reality yet. They're still asking ¥32,250 for the 1S and ¥24K for Max. :blink:

Gives me hope that I can avoid PO Madness from now on. But then Bandai will announce the Roy 1S and it will be a bloodbath.

1 hour ago, FattyMoBookyButt said:

Have you seen the prices for VF-1J though? I have officially lost all hope of ever completing my trio.

Comment applies to both quotes above.

Bandai's staff don't know much about the franchises they make toys for.  The stock for the popular 1S should be more than Max 1a.  Also Max was a strange choice for the second dx.  Considering the secondary market for 1j, or the preorder madness, Bandai should reissue the 1j.  Bandai displayed the movie squadron, so they're probably going to issue Max movie, and Kakizaki movie.  But I'd rather buy 1j than Kakizaki since I'm not collecting the squad.  But we haven't seen a Roy yet, and it'll be seconds in preorder window.  

2 hours ago, beatsing said:

Comment applies to both quotes above.

Bandai's staff don't know much about the franchises they make toys for.  The stock for the popular 1S should be more than Max 1a.  Also Max was a strange choice for the second dx.  Considering the secondary market for 1j, or the preorder madness, Bandai should reissue the 1j.  Bandai displayed the movie squadron, so they're probably going to issue Max movie, and Kakizaki movie.  But I'd rather buy 1j than Kakizaki since I'm not collecting the squad.  But we haven't seen a Roy yet, and it'll be seconds in preorder window.  

Over at least the past two years, Bandai has been pretty consistent about physically showing off what they are going to release, so I'm betting that Max and Hayao movie variants will be next. I wouldn't consider the TV Max 1A a surprise, because we did get lots of advance notice online, but it was an odd choice to follow the Hikaru 1J. It would be very nice to see a reissue of that. I think they reissued Alto's Yf-29 like ten times, right? ;) They do now have the head molds for all variants except the 1D, though, so I guess anything can happen. To get a Roy during PO Madness will probably require one of those supercomputers that high frequency Wall Street traders use, where stocks are bought and sold in milliseconds.

26 minutes ago, sqidd said:

I'm still not hip to how a web exclusive works. Got Cliffs Notes? Thanks!

It means it has to be ordered directly from Bandai and regular retailers like HLJ, Amiami, B&M stores, etc. will not have it (not counting secondhand goods).

If you live outside Japan, then you'll have to order through a proxy service like From Japan, or from one of the web retailers that carry p-Bandai web exclusives for a small mark-up (AE, NY, Mykombini, etc).

The benefit to being a web exclusive is that there is no PO madness. You just go to the retailer or proxy of your choice and very leisurely put an order in.

14 minutes ago, sqidd said:

I'm still not hip to how a web exclusive works. Got Cliffs Notes? Thanks!

They are supposed to be made to order and only available directly through the Tamashii website for a set amount of time. The order period usually stays open for months. You need to use a proxy service to buy from the Tamashii web store or a select few retailers who will provide the service of securing them for you (mainly Nippon Yasan and Anime Export). TWE releases are preferable in that because of the set sale period, there is no preorder madness and you can just order casually within the time period. The only time in recent Macross releases there has been an exception is for the 31A, where orders closed earlier than expected but they were still open at least a month or more and the VF-1 SSP that ended in a day, which was a complete anomaly but they reopened for a later release within a few days and that is still available now through NY. 

21 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

It means it has to be ordered directly from Bandai and regular retailers like HLJ, Amiami, B&M stores, etc. will not have it (not counting secondhand goods).

If you live outside Japan, then you'll have to order through a proxy service like From Japan, or from one of the web retailers that carry p-Bandai web exclusives for a small mark-up (AE, NY, Mykombini, etc).

The benefit to being a web exclusive is that there is no PO madness. You just go to the retailer or proxy of your choice and very leisurely put an order in.

That sounds nice and relaxing. I'll cross my fingers for that. Thanks

21 minutes ago, sqidd said:

That sounds nice and relaxing. I'll cross my fingers for that. Thanks

It actually sounds nice and relaxing at first. But that changed after some Metal Build Astraea releases and recently with the DX VF-1 Missile Sets and Strike/Super Parts. Now you also have to watch out for these TWE PO nights as well.

5 hours ago, sqidd said:

I'd really like a missile effects set ala HMR for the VF-1S Hikaru.

Missile effects for the TV style missiles (and maybe the reaction missiles) are on my to-do list, after I finish my current 3D printing project.  Will I ever actually get around to it?  I dunno.

Missile effect parts for the box missiles would be harder, because there is no real port to plug them into like the removable missiles have.  But someone with more time/talent than me could probably do it.

I just noticed that the DX SSP leave a much bigger/wider gap behind the neck. Both the Yamato 1/60 and 1/48 seems to be hugging the back of the valk while the DX "raised" the SSP.

10 hours ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

Dear @jenius

Dang it, you forced me to order the Bandai DX Chogokin VF-1 toys I was missing with your most recent video review. 

I blame you entirely!  Entirely!!!!   

Sincerely,

Shizuka the Poor Cat

9 hours ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

*(in a whisper voice)* 

ENTIRELY......

Yeah, jenius pushed me down the Macross collecting rabbit hole too.  I got into the Arcadia and HMR stuff because of his reviews.  When he really like something he makes you really like it too.  Then the want grows...

I was under the impression that you were thinning out your collection in preparation to move or something.  I guess I was wrong?  :p

38 minutes ago, DewPoint said:

I was under the impression that you were thinning out your collection in preparation to move or something.  I guess I was wrong?  :p

I have managed to thin out my collection... a little bit.

I have done a lot of packing.,,

image.thumb.png.c4b6cd20bafe4d9fba5767f1aa75410e.png

The boxes containing Macross toys pictured here is maybe about 1/3 of my collection.

And that does not include all the DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, manga, textbooks, clothes, and stuffed animals that I have also been packing.

*sigh*

51 minutes ago, treatment said:

speaking of which, this is a nice comparo-pic from his recent review:

http://anymoon.com/blog/?p=12016

Bandai-DX-VF-1S-Hikaru-5.thumb.jpg.c829a195f700d1781c11424bb5e5c6a2.jpg

Never bothered on my DX 1J, but didn't really realized until now the really ridiculously omg-xb0x-hueg kite on the DX vs the yamarcadia!  

Oh, and the "100", too...

Yeah, the Bandai kite is absolutely ginormous compared to what Hasegawa and Yamarcadia have done. It belongs on a 1/24 scale valk, not a 1/48. <_< The left and right points of the white kite should be aligned with the bottom of the black stripe.

image.png.142f2bd2b71e68f0ea90515ab2f659ff.png

12 hours ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

Dear @jenius

Dang it, you forced me to order the Bandai DX Chogokin VF-1 toys I was missing with your most recent video review. 

I blame you entirely!  Entirely!!!!   

Sincerely,

Shizuka the Poor Cat

Join the club. I was on the fence about the 1S until I saw his review, then I caved.

Nice review for both comparisons on the 1/60 and 1/48 scales.  I have the same thing about those vertical pegs for the arms under the fighter mode.  They should have had some side pegs to connect to the legs.  Seeing your side by side of the 1S with so much tampo, makes me think of my Takara seekers.  IIRC, I think Shoji also designed these, and the "no step" markings are everywhere but they're less obnoxious because the markings are smaller and seem more realistic.  I do like the tampos but for future releases Bandai should take a page from Takara.  Sometime I'll dig it out of storage and compare them.  

@jenius on a related point, the bandai stand is so boring, you have to take it apart for each mode, and it needs some force.  Also the 1j stand is boring it only does one mode.  for the yammie arcadias, I don't recall which it came with but I got a clear big stand that I prefer over the launch arm (the launch arm looks nice cuz it's like the movie, but it's not that balanced).  The clear big stand might have come with GBP (?) and I like that it's sturdy and easily adjustable and has storage options.  I got it a while back.  I'd expect Bandai to come up with better designs since there are so many better stands out there now I've seen come with similarly priced collectables.  That Bandai stand that comes with the $1000 Nu Gundam is a display that might work with the DX.  Or some stands for heavier toys have ratchets and locks for flying poses.  I don't mind buying a separate stand if it's nice but the stock stand isn't very good.    

5 hours ago, treatment said:

speaking of which, this is a nice comparo-pic from his recent review:

http://anymoon.com/blog/?p=12016

Bandai-DX-VF-1S-Hikaru-5.thumb.jpg.c829a195f700d1781c11424bb5e5c6a2.jpg

Never bothered on my DX 1J, but didn't really realized until now the really ridiculously omg-xb0x-hueg kite on the DX vs the yamarcadia!  

Oh, and the "100", too...

And don’t forget about the totally screwed up markings ahead of the kite symbol on the cockpit.  

I try not to think about it, but every time someone posts a side profile comparison it’s just a  glaring reminder of how little Bandai cares about the details.