Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

7 hours ago, Bahamutzyro said:

cmon, lol let’s be real.

There’s no way Yamato can compare to the Bandai. The Yamato’s are floppy messes. Also, it’s just blasphemy how they yellow. They are just poor quality. 

You can have brand new out the box yellowing with the Yamato’s.

they were good for the moment but noooo comparison to the Bandai.

Pretty sure we'll see yellowed DXs in about 10 years or so.

34 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

That's exactly the same as Yamato.

1637119176_yamatossppegs.thumb.jpg.92b24c709808f59c51e117b8f946b5d5.jpg

You compare the 1/60 Yamato / Arcadia with the 1/48 Bandai DX. in this case, I agree with you.

I was comparing 1/48 Yamato (the model with the horrible chicken hands) with the 1/48 Bandai DX.

15 minutes ago, manfred17 said:

You compare the 1/60 Yamato / Arcadia with the 1/48 Bandai DX. in this case, I agree with you.

I was comparing 1/48 Yamato (the model with the horrible chicken hands) with the 1/48 Bandai DX.

Yeah I sold my Yamato 1/48s a long time ago. The newer 1/60s were a big improvement.

4 minutes ago, crackpot said:

What are you? An amateur? You're in MWF. 3 is the minimum. 

Hahaha! :lol:  

Well, what can I say? I used to have multiples that's why I'm here. :rolleyes: 

Until I hit the wall. :fool: 

Hence, why I sold some of my multiples. :cray: 

2 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

you need three, noel.

*snip*

I really have to snip that. Because if I quote that it might look 6 VF-1J's if my post will come after you. Now, I'm hating you too, Lolicon. Hahaha! :lol:

4 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Since it's just a friendly debate. I want to ask since I didn't have any Yamato 1/48 VF-1's. When Yamato released their 1/48 VF-1's almost 20 years ago, did people already mentioned that it has overall poor quality? And did the discoloration happened immediately like Bandai's DX VF-25 v1? Bandai got released their DX VF-1 recently so comparing both companies regarding quality now wouldn't matter anymore, right?

I have to agree that's why when I read a few comparing posts I got confused a little bit since the photos posted from what I remember from the previous page is Yamato's 1/60v2.

Your right, 20 years ago we jumped up and down for the yammies! But now as we can see they don’t age well. We shouldn’t pay 200 bucks 20 years ago for something that sits in a box n yellows.  We didn’t have anything to comp it to so we didn’t know.

i still like my stealth yammie 1/48 and it didn’t yellow, but it’s joints are loose n I transformed it once to batroid n it’s been sitting on my shelf.

5 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Since it's just a friendly debate. I want to ask since I didn't have any Yamato 1/48 VF-1's. When Yamato released their 1/48 VF-1's almost 20 years ago, did people already mentioned that it has overall poor quality? And did the discoloration happened immediately like Bandai's DX VF-25 v1? Bandai got released their DX VF-1 recently so comparing both companies regarding quality now wouldn't matter anymore, right?

Problems I had with the 1/48s were a pinkie that broke off almost immediately (hated those tiny skeletal poseable hands, but I hate swapping hands even more), a foot that was installed backwards and the cover of the missile section of the FAST Packs constantly falling off.

I don't recall any yellowing on the 1/48s I had, but the v1 1/160s I still had at the time had yellowed. The only v1 I still have has literally crumbled in the box. I worry a lot about the longevity of my collection since it seems like this stuff just isn't built to last. Not a great thought given the price of all this stuff.

Edited by Matt Random
fixed spelling

48 minutes ago, sqidd said:

I'll help him out.:D

*snip*

:shok:

46 minutes ago, F360 said:

woohoo! my vf-1s from Amiami finally shown delivered .   Shipped on 11-30-19. :unsure:

First or second one? :rolleyes:

35 minutes ago, Bahamutzyro said:

Your right, 20 years ago we jumped up and down for the yammies! But now as we can see they don’t age well. We shouldn’t pay 200 bucks 20 years ago for something that sits in a box n yellows.  We didn’t have anything to comp it to so we didn’t know.

i still like my stealth yammie 1/48 and it didn’t yellow, but it’s joints are loose n I transformed it once to batroid n it’s been sitting on my shelf.

Well, we can probably start comparing the quality of Bandai's DX VF-1 in the 20 years. ;) 

20 minutes ago, Matt Random said:

Problems I had with the 1/48s were a pinkie that broke off almost immediately (hated those tiny skeletal poseable hands, but I hate swapping hands even more), a foot that was installed backwards and the cover of the missile section of the FAST Packs constantly falling off.

I don't recall any yellowing on the 1/48s I had, but the v1 1/160s I still had at the time had yellowed. The only v1 I still have has literally crumbled in the box. I worry a lot about the longevity of my collection since it seems like this stuff just isn't built to last. Not a great thought given the price of all this stuff.

That's the thing nowadays. All the stuff built in this era doesn't last that long compared to toys built from the 70's and 80's. You've seen how well built the old toys back then. And mostly it's hand-made. ;)

58 minutes ago, Bahamutzyro said:

Lol. Dude! I think the Yammies aged just fine. Look how quickly Bandai's V1 VF-25's yellowed (ya we do have something to compare) or broke apart upon transformation. Also paying $200 bucks 20 years ago wasn't so bad considering cost, hassle and qc issues these days. Oh ya, let's not mention pre order ridiculous antics and scarcity issues.  

Am i the only one who doesn't have a Yamato yellowing Hikaru VF-1S?

Lets see how those DX's are down the road, see you in 20;)

Edited by Bolt

48 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

congrats^_^

i'm still waiting for mine

2 month was my longest sal small packet.  . It was around Chinese new years.

20 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

:shok:

First or second one? :rolleyes:

I try to keep it at 2. But......................................;) it went over. -_-  .    Im team Hikaru so I guess it's ok, B))  

7 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

I want all my valkyries to be able to survive the millenia so that archaeologists in the distant future have pristine artifacts from our time that they can transform and whoosh around.

I would love to hear what an archaeologist from 2000yrs in the futures has for a theory on what the Valks represent.

I'm reposting this from Yacalog's twitter:

https://mobile.twitter.com/zzakss/status/1213738879754194944

There's two reported breakages. A Max 1A and a Hikaru 1S. Both had the peg that connects the thigh to the intake break.

The last three pics show the 1S. The owner repaired it by drilling through the piece from the intake that connects to the thigh and replaced the peg with a screw and a washer.

Hope these are isolated QC issues.

ENgh85IUUAEKnO3.jpeg

ENgh85IUYAcv0Wa.jpeg

ENgh85HVAAAHJSe.jpeg

ENgeV_jUUAEzTVq.jpeg

ENgfYhIUYAAEXYI.jpeg

ENgcoO7U4AEtuk1.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Ignacio Ocamica said:

There's two reported breakages. A Max 1A and a Hikaru 1S. Both had the peg that connects the thigh to the intake break.

The last three pics show the 1S. The owner repaired it by drilling through the piece from the intake that connects to the thigh and replaced the peg with a screw and a washer.

ENgh85IUUAEKnO3.jpeg

Ouch. :vava: Thought we're going to see in 20 years. Guess that's just within 20 weeks? Ok. Now let's do that comparing. :rolleyes:

Shoot. I just realized. Can't wait to go home to check my VF-1J and VF-1S. :ph34r:

39 minutes ago, Ignacio Ocamica said:

ENgh85IUUAEKnO3.jpeg

Everything produced has a failure rate. In a lot of industries 1-2%. I don't know how many of these are produced, but I have to imagine if we were seeing a 1-2% failure rate, we would be seeing a lot more than this.

2 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

There's pretty much always isolated incidents of breakage, it's when there's trend (like the DX YF-19 hip joints) that you need to worry.

We just see more of the isolated incidents now, what with the internet.

Also the "hammer hands" factor.

7 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

I have to agree that's why when I read a few comparing posts I got confused a little bit since the photos posted from what I remember from the previous page is Yamato's 1/60v2.

My Yammie 1/48 from 20 years ago is still not yellow.  It was an engineering revolution for toys, like MP-01.  It was thing every serious collector was getting.  And no preorder madness

7 hours ago, jenius said:

People loved the 1/48 parts when they were released and they took 10 years to yellow. The reaction missiles were always a pain but at least they came in the box!

My 1/48 isn't very yellow.  It's still off white and I've had it for 20 years or whenever it came out

6 hours ago, Lolicon said:

All my comparisons are with the 1/60 VF-1 as I sold my 1/48s years ago.

I've already said the DX VF-1 is the best VF-1 toy to date, despite some flaws and steps back made by Bandai.

Would I sell all my 1/60s and replace them with the DX? Absolutely not. They're not THAT much of an improvement, they're the wrong scale next to all my other valkyries, and have too many annoying flaws.

Also, complaining about yellowing on a 10+ year old toy versus one that just came out is ridiculous. Toys and human lives don't last forever.

On the subject of floppy joints, the hips on my DXs are already getting loose. Because that's what happens when a toy is really heavy: the joints have to endure more. Fortunately, I don't use weight to determine the quality of a toy (which is why you never hear me praising the "heft"). :p

The hips on my DX vf-25 is getting loose even though I only display it on the stand.  I think those metal parts are too heavy and put stress on the hips.

5 hours ago, Pontus said:

I work for a company that makes specialized control interfaces/desks.  We released a high end console that everyone complained felt cheap.  So we added steel plates inside, and it was much more "professional feeling" simply because it was heavier. :fool:  If we make consoles that are powerful yet small, portable, and of eminent utility, in high end installations they will be passed up for large, heavy, all-in-one consoles because they "feel more professional," (even if they have identical function) so now we're going back to making behemoth consoles again.  Public perception is a fickle thing that has more to do with "feels" than anything else.

Oh, and don't even get me started on the soft-touch craze.  Yes, let's put the worst paint in the world in the worst place you could possibly put it (where it gets touched all the time), and where it will look like crap after the first use and peel like crazy.  Because it FEELS good and therefore somehow makes a product "professional" which gets perceived as high quality somehow... at least for the first couple of weeks.

hilarious.  Oooo it's so shiny

5 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

But the thing is I don't want to spend too much. :cray: 

Need to save just in case Bandai decides to make the Metal Build GN-Arms Type E and DXSoC Voltes V a reality. :rolleyes:

$2000 Sazabi to pair with that $1000 Nu Gundam

2 hours ago, Bahamutzyro said:

My 1/48 isn't yellow, it's still off white.  The joints are still good, not loose.  For an old toy, the swing bar (most likely to be a problem for Bandai's two piece assembly) still works fine.  That's quality and time tested.  The Bandai *seems* superior for now; time will tell.  And somebody just posted pics of breakages for the DX.  My DX doesn't peg the arms securely in fighter mode even though there are pegs.

1 hour ago, Bolt said:

Lol. Dude! I think the Yammies aged just fine. Look how quickly Bandai's V1 VF-25's yellowed (ya we do have something to compare) or broke apart upon transformation. Also paying $200 bucks 20 years ago wasn't so bad considering cost, hassle and qc issues these days. Oh ya, let's not mention pre order ridiculous antics and scarcity issues.  

Am i the only one who doesn't have a Yamato yellowing Hikaru VF-1S?

Lets see how those DX's are down the road, see you in 20;)

I have a yammie VF1J off white but not yellow Hikaru too

1 hour ago, Lolicon said:

I want all my valkyries to be able to survive the millenia so that archaeologists in the distant future have pristine artifacts from our time that they can transform and whoosh around.

Hilarious.  Archaeologists saying "what is protoculture?"

15 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

One of my DXs only came with one hand. HLJ tried to to see if replacement hand could be obtained from Bandai, but no go there. 

When you get Bandai'ed you're SOL. 

HLJ did give me a discount, so that was nice. 

Well at least HLJ was there to give you a hand on the discount. 

And while Bandai didn’t give you a replacement hand they gave you the finger instead.

Bandai’d

:p