Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

8 hours ago, rdrunner said:

Agree.  It's such a shame that the DX Valkyrie is based on the Yamato V2 and has also included many improvements over its predecessor, but took a big reverse step in the strike pack design.  What a disappointment.

i'm calling it now.  there's gonna be a renewal version of these.  bet!  they rushed these out to milk the demand.  esp with the stink being made now, they're gonna have a superior v2 or 3 released.

13 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

Part broke while transforming my 1J. It's an easy enough fix, but considering it's a part that doesn't move at all, it shouldn't break so easily.

Very shoddy, Bandai.

60676885_brokenpiece.thumb.jpg.17e9982ea2bce016aa33f94b862a4ca9.jpg

Yikes!!! I certainly hope you can fix it and have it good as new. 

5 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Did it actually break, or just have the glue come loose?  It does look easy to fix either way thankfully, and possibly not structurally necessary.

It came apart at the seams where it was glued together. I can just super glue it back in the morning after I pick up some more glue.

It's just shoddy assembly by Bandai, since that part's only purpose is to help line up the swing bar in fighter mode. Considering how liberal Bandai is with gluing anything and everything together, it's a bit surprising that such a part would come apart at all.

36 minutes ago, Dirtyboy said:

I don't want anymore tbh, and also not sure I want the disappointment of getting drunk at like 5 in the morning lol, I'm UK based. 

9 minutes ago, crackpot said:

Cart jacking happens 4PM JST and onwards so that's 7AM onwards for you. You'll be fine. 

Haha love it. C’mon mate, my experience is that those in the UK can drink any of us from the states under the table. I have it worse. I’ll need to take the day off after lol.

Pretty happy with the SSP, but as others have said, no internal detail is a disappointment. Especially after you could reasonably expect it from the hints in that parts panel preview. You can see it in the diagrams.

Anyway, Hikaru managed to snag some Booby Duck parts for his J here.

PC200078_1.jpg

PC200091.jpg

PC200094.jpg

PC200123.jpg

/shrug, everyone complained Yamato/Arcadia didn’t have enough detail so they started doing “Premium Finish” - seems like most collectors want that level of detail. 

I’d pay less for a “normal finish” release, personally. I only have a few Arcadia VFs but skipped the premium releases.

13 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Part broke while transforming my 1J. It's an easy enough fix, but considering it's a part that doesn't move at all, it shouldn't break so easily.

Very shoddy, Bandai.

Bandai'd :angry:

should not be like Arcadia's Vf-0A legs. i hope this isn't going to be an issue with these.

mine are all boxed up atm to check.  

Hello all! I received my DX VF-1S recently. It’s my first modern Macross figure and my first Bandai product. I normally only collect Masterpiece Transformers but I’m a casual Macross fan and I really liked the pics I was seeing of the new DX. 

I know you’re all Macross experts and tend to focus on the details and what is or isn’t correct. But as a complete noob I have to say that I’m really impressed with the DX so far. The quality is very high to me and the tampos are all perfect as far as I could tell. Except for that 100 screw up on the tail fin! But overall it’s really well made. The packaging is really nice as well. I really like the matte and glossy finishes on the box. I’m really happy I bought it. 

So I have a total noob question: Is the white finish on the majority of the figure painted or just bare plastic? I’ve seen MP Transformers that don’t look painted but they actually are with a really thin coat which is why I’m asking. I just want to know how careful I need to be when transforming it etc. because I’m really picky when it comes to paint blemishes. 

I haven’t even transformed it yet because I’ve been so impressed with the fighter mode. It’s just gorgeous to me. 

Cheers!

16 minutes ago, Paco Grande said:

Hello all! I received my DX VF-1S recently. It’s my first modern Macross figure and my first Bandai product. I normally only collect Masterpiece Transformers but I’m a casual Macross fan and I really liked the pics I was seeing of the new DX. 

I know you’re all Macross experts and tend to focus on the details and what is or isn’t correct. But as a complete noob I have to say that I’m really impressed with the DX so far. The quality is very high to me and the tampos are all perfect as far as I could tell. Except for that 100 screw up on the tail fin! But overall it’s really well made. The packaging is really nice as well. I really like the matte and glossy finishes on the box. I’m really happy I bought it. 

So I have a total noob question: Is the white finish on the majority of the figure painted or just bare plastic? I’ve seen MP Transformers that don’t look painted but they actually are with a really thin coat which is why I’m asking. I just want to know how careful I need to be when transforming it etc. because I’m really picky when it comes to paint blemishes. 

I haven’t even transformed it yet because I’ve been so impressed with the fighter mode. It’s just gorgeous to me. 

Cheers!

Welcome to MW! Always glad to have more TF brethren join.

The only parts that are painter are red and black, and that’s pretty much it. The tampons are markings to look out for during transformation.

Other than that, you can transform the VF-1S to your heart’s content.

So I was looking at my Vf-1S and something about the “001” on the right side of the pilot seems off.  It appears the numbers and back edge of the stripe arrow are leaning forward.

Zoom in and you’ll see what I mean. I had to search this forum for a picture to reference as I was hoping I would be the only one. 

B27E4C39-4368-47BE-818F-CA876FAEB99A.jpeg

BD7C15E2-9FA7-4F5B-A340-64353B89BE26.jpeg

11 hours ago, nightmareB4macross said:

Welcome to MW! Always glad to have more TF brethren join.

The only parts that are painter are red and black, and that’s pretty much it. The tampons are markings to look out for during transformation.

Other than that, you can transform the VF-1S to your heart’s content.

Thank you for the help! I’m going to watch the Wotafa video for the 1J one more time before I transform it. 

11 hours ago, nightmareB4macross said:

So I was looking at my Vf-1S and something about the “001” on the right side of the pilot seems off.  It appears the numbers and back edge of the stripe arrow are leaning forward.

Zoom in and you’ll see what I mean. I had to search this forum for a picture to reference as I was hoping I would be the only one. 

B27E4C39-4368-47BE-818F-CA876FAEB99A.jpeg

BD7C15E2-9FA7-4F5B-A340-64353B89BE26.jpeg

That's not the Bandai DX. The landing gear are the wrong color.

On 12/20/2019 at 6:53 PM, nightmareB4macross said:

You could always make your own. All you need is a little ingenuity and paint.

That’s a nice custom. :good: But I’m lazy. :lol: 

5 hours ago, Paco Grande said:

Thank you for the help! I’m going to watch the Wotafa video for the 1J one more time before I transform it. 

Or you can support our very own @jenius for his reviews and transformation videos on his Anymoon website. :good: 

On 12/21/2019 at 12:41 AM, Lolicon said:

Very shoddy, Bandai.

So sorry about that, this did wonders for my Yamato 1/48 and Proto Garland when the plastic started having stress fails.

IMG-0305.JPG

8 hours ago, Lolicon said:

That's not the Bandai DX. The landing gear are the wrong color.

Hey Lolicon,

I forgot to credit you for these pictures you posted of your custom white painted landing gear on page 359 from this thread. 

When I searched picks this was the first set I found and noticed the slanted edge.