Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

3 hours ago, Pontus said:

Ah, this is one of those optical illusions isn't it?  It's really the same valk.

LOL you got me. :lol:

Mask off the landing gear bay, then place some clear plastic wrap over the rest of the leg because of Bandai's shoddy tampo printing (which can be peeled off with masking tape), then tape over that to keep it all together. Now I can finally prime the landing gear. :wacko:

1944118331_IMG_20191206_16065901.jpg.c0756a6bcf40797e499aa3bf810a95c5.jpg

2 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

LOL you got me. :lol:

Mask off the landing gear bay, then place some clear plastic wrap over the rest of the leg because of Bandai's shoddy tampo printing (which can be peeled off with masking tape), then tape over that to keep it all together. Now I can finally prime the landing gear. :wacko:

What kind of masking tape do you use for modeling?  Is it something special that seals well or will something like frog tape work?  I don't exactly trust regular household masking tape or even the blue stuff.  Frog tape is supposed to seal better, but again, that's for household painting.

If Bandai's tampo isn't great, is there some way to seal it to make it better, like some sort of matte clear coat or something?  Anything you recommend?

5 minutes ago, Pontus said:

What kind of masking tape do you use for modeling?  Is it something special that seals well or will something like frog tape work?  I don't exactly trust regular household masking tape or even the blue stuff.  Frog tape is supposed to seal better, but again, that's for household painting.

If Bandai's tampo isn't great, is there some way to seal it to make it better, like some sort of matte clear coat or something?  Anything you recommend?

Don't use regular everyday masking tape. You should use masking tape specifically made for modeling as it will seal better and not leave residue. I use Tamiya masking tape.

Any kind of clear coat over the surface will serve to protect the tampo printing, like Mr Hobby Topcoat. Be sure to mask off any surface you don't want to get that stuff on (like the canopy). I clear coated my 1J and 1A to seal in the decals and panel shading. Additional protection for the tampo was just an added benefit.

Thanks Lolicon about the tip about the Bandai Tampo, I was just going to use the Tamiya masking tape right on it - lucky I read your post first.  Have white gears makes so much of a difference!  Hopefully I can get to the VF-1J & VF-1S over the holidays.

28 minutes ago, Matt Random said:

Does it have an adapter for 2 modes? I was thinking the earlier convention photos only showed one. Or is it maybe unassembled to make the box thinner.

I don't think it needs one for anything but Fighter mode.

1 hour ago, Matt Random said:

Does it have an adapter for 2 modes? I was thinking the earlier convention photos only showed one. Or is it maybe unassembled to make the box thinner.

I believe you are correct.  It looks like two halves that you'll have to assemble to make a single fighter mode adapter.

Hope it doesn't result in some kind of stability issue.

Not publicizing the KC editions. Just wanted to point out that they seem to be coming out with a version 2 of their VF-1 using the Bandai DX hips.

Shoulder are also similar to DX and no longer Yamato/Arcadia type.

79C49EA0-84B9-4E48-AF4C-095D746F700D.jpeg

Edited by nightmareB4macross
Shoulder.

22 hours ago, wm cheng said:

Thanks Lolicon about the tip about the Bandai Tampo, I was just going to use the Tamiya masking tape right on it - lucky I read your post first.  Have white gears makes so much of a difference!  Hopefully I can get to the VF-1J & VF-1S over the holidays.

No problem. I found that out the hard way after losing some bits of tampo printing when peeling off some masking tape. Luckily it was black so I could touch it up by hand. Still, that shouldn't be an issue at all for a toy in this price range.

Show us pics of your work! :)

22 hours ago, Saburo said:

Love that shot. :wub:

Thanks Saburo! :hi:

10 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

the nose in battroid still looks so long on the 1/48, the 1/60 is perfect

Well, you know what they say about battroids with long nose cones.

20 minutes ago, jenius said:

It's really close.... I don't have a problem with either but I prefer the reduced fuselage protrusion around the neck on the DX.

Bandai-DX-VF-1J-Hikaru-2-4K.jpg

yeah, it is close.  but that's the real subtle attention to detail of the new dx.  very well proportioned and balanced.  but yeah if ya get 'fixated' on the crotch area of the yammie 1/48, you can't unsee it...  but in fighter mode, it's a thing of beauty!  this is esp the case if ya compare it to recent designs (in fighter), esp starting with the vf-25s and so on.

I think the DX and 1/60 nosecones both look good in battroid. The neck area is the significant visual improvement on the DX.

The DX cockpit/nose area looks a bit stumpy to me in fighter mode, to be honest. I think it's somewhat of an illusion because of the huge Macross kite that's back a little ways, as well as the longer horizontal surface that protrudes forward above the intakes.

The nose of the 1/48 Yamato is very long and looks great. The 1/60 isnt as long but looks great too. I still prefer these over the DX in fighter mode due to their proportions. The DX has better tampo obviously.

Edited by Corrinald
Wrong werd

I totally agree. I prefer the 1/48 yamatos in fighter mode too. I think i m going to skip the DX VF-1 and will start applying waterslide decals and draw panel lines on my old yamatos. Do you guys think that the Yamatos 1/48 will now drop their prices due to the new releases from Bandai?

I think the Yamato 1/48 prices will remain the same simply due to them being old and rare now.

I also prefer the 1/60 fighter but for me it's due to the way Yamato used curved surfaces whereas the DX tends to look more blocky.

The fact that Yamato's effort still looks amazing 10+ years later is a testament to how great a job they did.

@Ryoma you should definitely put some work into your old Yamatos if you've got the time and wherewithal to do so. Even the DX looks much better if you do the same. :)

By the by, has anyone managed to nab a DX 1S off Mandarake? They show up pretty regularly, but they get snapped up fast. Three or four were posted the night before last. :shok:

23 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

By the by, has anyone managed to nab a DX 1S off Mandarake? They show up pretty regularly, but they get snapped up fast. Three or four were posted the night before last. :shok:

I was wondering that as well. I'm more interested in seeing how much they are pricing it since the sold out price sometimes doesn't reflect the price at the time of listing. 

Or maybe Mandarake is just trolling us and the item sold at the store itself.