Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

4 hours ago, RIBFIR said:

I was fortunate to get a vf-1s order in with HLJ during release and was super excited when it arrived. Upon pulling the legs down to transform into gerwalk, the right arm fell off!

Closer inspection showed a piece of the plastic tab that connects the arm to the metal slider was still in the clam shell. Suffice to say, I wept that evening...

Photos?  Is it repair job?

2 hours ago, canklebreaker said:

Appreciate it! Was trying to google some stats but only found full package ones. Reason I ask isbecause I think these would look awesome on a levitating display.

The old yammies and arcadia are pretty light, those might work better than the dx, the dx might be too heavy.  Let us know if it works, post photos!

9 hours ago, sqidd said:

We've been talking about the postal service and their lack of quality. Funny one happened today. I was pulling out of my court and the mail carrier was pulling in. She waved me down because she had a package for me. I signed for it, got in the truck and went to run errands for a few hours. I wondered what it was because as far as I knew I wasn't expecting anything today. I got back home, cracked the box open and saw a VF-1S. Well, I have two more coming so that wasn't odd. What was odd was there was a VF-1J under it. I thought the seller shipped two valks by mistake. Checked the tracking number against my spreadsheet and I had nothing that matched. Then I looked at the name. Same first name, different last name. Different address just down the street. How bonkers is it that there is another Macross collector right down the street with the same first name? And I'm the one who got his package. Since I knew what I was looking at I ran it down to his house, and he was home, so that was easy. I think I woke him up when I rang the bell, he seemed a bit out of it so I split without striking up a conversation in case he needed to be sleeping. I didn't even think to see if he posted here. Maybe he will see this and chime in.

That's crazy. I don't even know anyone else IRL besides my best friend from way back in second grade who was a big fan of Macross.  Nice work!

4 hours ago, Slave IV said:

If they were giving me a box with two DX VF-1's, they can wake me anytime!:lol:

Right? Who's would be less than ecstatic when someone finds and returns their $200+ imported figure??? Who knows... maybe it was for the lady of the house.

Made a bit of a rookie mistake, selected Registered Airmail (RA tracking prefix) as the shipping mode. Been waiting 9 days since the unit shipped, status still says "Dispatch from outward office of exchange", where it has been sitting for almost a week. Having done my research in hindsight, I should have selected EMS.

Has anyone else done this and how long did it take their shipments to arrive vs the EMS shipping mode?

Edited by drumondo
correction

41 minutes ago, drumondo said:

Made a bit of a rookie mistake, selected Registered Airmail (RA tracking prefix) as the shipping mode. Been waiting 9 days since the unit shipped, status still says "Dispatch from outward office of exchange", where it has been sitting for almost a week. Having done my research in hindsight, I should have selected EMS.

Has anyone else done this and how long did it take their shipments to arrive vs the EMS shipping mode?

Is it going to the US? If so, between 14-19 days.

41 minutes ago, drumondo said:

If you want it fast and don’t care about price, use EMS or DHL. But to me, that is rookie:D

“Real” collectors know they spend the least possible on shipping no matter how long it takes because money saved goes towards more collection. But seriously, use whatever method works best for you. I’ve tried them all and I have great delivery people so it really doesn’t matter for me so I always go the cheapest route. 

10 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

If you want it fast and don’t care about price, use EMS or DHL. But to me, that is rookie:D

“Real” collectors know they spend the least possible on shipping no matter how long it takes because money saved goes towards more collection. But seriously, use whatever method works best for you. I’ve tried them all and I have great delivery people so it really doesn’t matter for me so I always go the cheapest route. 

If you’re paying that much for a toy, I don’t think the extra dollar going into shipping would really make much of a difference. 

What you’re paying for is the “time” for the toy to be delivered to you, and the ease of mind with tracking and insurance packaged under the shipping cost. 

5 minutes ago, Kanzaki said:

If you’re paying that much for a toy, I don’t think the extra dollar going into shipping would really make much of a difference. 

What you’re paying for is the “time” for the toy to be delivered to you, and the ease of mind with tracking and insurance packaged under the shipping cost. 

Don’t want to get too into this again but I typically save around $20 or more on shipping per order. That adds up pretty quick for me and more than covers any insurance I would ever need. Toys are what ease my mind, not worrying about when or if I will get them. 

Edited by Slave IV

22 minutes ago, chyll2 said:

that is why he said, use whatever works for you. That what works best for him. The extra dollar do counts towards something in the end (again depends on how many you purchase in a year).

Not disputing that, just saying that some may consider time and other factors when deciding a shipping method, to each his own. Not intending to stir any debate here.

I don’t ship as much yearly (again depends on the releases), but if you purchase frequently I guess the extra dollar would easily pile up. 

2 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Don’t want to get too into this again but I typically save around $20 or more on shipping per order. That adds up pretty quick for me and more than covers any insurance I would ever need. Toys are what ease my mind, not worrying about when or if I will get them. 

Totally agree! Costs savings over multiple purchases are the added pleasure of collecting hehehe...

3 minutes ago, Dirtyboy said:

Mine shipped to from NY, waited like 6 months what's another few weeks

The six month wait is expected since you are waiting for the stated release date. Waiting beyond that for an item you POed the first day is just a sign of a crappy business ethic. I'll be glad to be done with NY once I get the Strike Pack. I used to like them but that changed with the increasing delays and pay up front policy.

On 11/25/2019 at 2:02 AM, dafob said:

I just got a wonderful email from HLJ that they couldn't fulfill my order.  I ordered last Thursday/Friday, pretty early on when stock was made available on their website.  Thank goodness I got one from AE on PO night months ago (which just shipped) but this really does suck for those that were expecting HLJ to fulfill their orders from Friday:

Untitled.png.5188fef6fab23125c2c5df6ad6bd527d.png

So I was one of the "lucky" ones that got my order on the "we-took-way-too-many-orders-and-now-we-can't-fulfill-them-so-your-are-screwed" list on release day at HLJ.  They pretty much encouraged me to cancel my order and look elsewhere.

I'm so glad I didn't and kept my order open because this morning I woke up to this:

Untitled.png.b99e347fbc7f7f4fb6f4a70c9de9895f.png

Did anyone else in my situation also get their orders through?  I checked my credit card and they did charge me BUT I'm still skeptical that they actually have one for me at this late stage.  If they charged me, does that mean they actually have one reserved with my name ready to be shipped?

7 minutes ago, dafob said:

So I was one of the "lucky" ones that got my order on the "we-took-way-too-many-orders-and-now-we-can't-fulfill-them-so-your-are-screwed" list on release day at HLJ.  They pretty much encouraged me to cancel my order and look elsewhere.

I'm so glad I didn't and kept my order open because this morning I woke up to this:

Did anyone else in my situation also get their orders through?  I checked my credit card and they did charge me BUT I'm still skeptical that they actually have one for me at this late stage.  If they charged me, does that mean they actually have one reserved with my name ready to be shipped?

If you were charged and it’s now in your PH then yes. You got one. Consider yourself lucky. 

16 minutes ago, dafob said:

The for sure way to find out is request to ship it ASAP . 

Congrats, that's a pretty awesome turn of events!  Might have been a cancellation from someone not paying for their order, or any number of things, but glad you held onto the order until they were able to fill it. ^_^ 

I believe once something is charged and moved to the private warehouse, that's a solid confirmation that you've got one, but I totally get the hesitation.  I've never heard of someone's order being cancelled after receiving the purchase/PW email, but that doesn't mean it is impossible either.

I didn't receive any cancellation notice, but I also bought one on that release day window at HLJ, and got a purchase and PW email shortly after.  I have been in no rush to ship though, and may not do so until the strike packs release.

Edited by Chronocidal

2 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

Wait till you get a shipping confirmation. I've had stuff get canceled even though it was paid for and in my private warehouse. 

Thanks for confirming what I've been dreading.  Fingers crossed...

It's funny (and kinda sad) but I feel like I just won the lottery.  Taking everything into perspective, what really happened was I just spent $173+$36 dollars for a plastic toy.  Four years ago I would've balked at spending $50 on any "toy".  Macross collecting has totally changed my perspective and perception of what is "cheap" and what is "overpriced".  We shouldn't feel so excited just to have the CHANCE of spending this munch on a collectible.  Am I wrong in blaming Bandai for not producing enough?  Or ultimately hating Harmony Gold for their stupid stranglehold on the worldwide licensing restrictions?

Since I know many of us have never landed on Hobby Search before, just following up on my experience thus far.  As some may recall, I received a damaged 1S.  Their invoice/receipt instructs to contact them for issues such as damaged goods within 7 days of receipt.  I did that the day it arrived.  I still haven't heard back from them after about a week.  I reached out two other times during their business hours without reply.

It doesn't shock me, but left with a Valk that I can't transform and the fact that no one ever lands there anyway, I decided to go nuclear rather than continue to let this drag past 7 days.  I reported to PayPal.  So, either they will kindly reply now and life will be good.  Or, I will be refunded completely and blacklisted from there.  I'm good with either outcome since it's generally impossible to buy DX Valks from them anyway.

So, sharing so you all know that this is another shop that isn't too responsive/helpful in terms of customer service (at least as it involves damaged goods in my case).

34 minutes ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

Since I know many of us have never landed on Hobby Search before, just following up on my experience thus far.  As some may recall, I received a damaged 1S.  Their invoice/receipt instructs to contact them for issues such as damaged goods within 7 days of receipt.  I did that the day it arrived.  I still haven't heard back from them after about a week.  I reached out two other times during their business hours without reply.

It doesn't shock me, but left with a Valk that I can't transform and the fact that no one ever lands there anyway, I decided to go nuclear rather than continue to let this drag past 7 days.  I reported to PayPal.  So, either they will kindly reply now and life will be good.  Or, I will be refunded completely and blacklisted from there.  I'm good with either outcome since it's generally impossible to buy DX Valks from them anyway.

So, sharing so you all know that this is another shop that isn't too responsive/helpful in terms of customer service (at least as it involves damaged goods in my case).

That sucks. I’m sure you’ll at least get your money and I’m sure here, someone will buy it off of you. Use the refund and funds when you sell to buy another

39 minutes ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

If you end up getting your $$ back and you're stuck with that one and don't want it PM me and LMK. I would have to know a little more about that crack, but I'm having a couple of customs done. If the crack can be repaired (it's getting pained anyway) I'd be happy to take it off your hands. You can add that money to your chargeback money and most likely more than cover the scalper price you will need to pay for a replacement.

8 minutes ago, VF-Zer0S said:

That sucks. I’m sure you’ll at least get your money and I’m sure here, someone will buy it off of you. Use the refund and funds when you sell to buy another

Thanks!  Yeah, I'll either keep it and have it stay in fighter mode, or sell it under MSRP if I receive a refund so that someone who is a modeler or with an engineering mindset can grab it and fix, etc.

2 minutes ago, sqidd said:

If you end up getting your $$ back and you're stuck with that one and don't want it PM me and LMK. I would have to know a little more about that crack, but I'm having a couple of customs done. If the crack can be repaired (it's getting pained anyway) I'd be happy to take it off your hands. You can add that money to your chargeback money and most likely more than cover the scalper price you will need to pay for a replacement.

And as I was posting so were you.  Great minds think alike.  Will do bud.  Thanks.

Edited by DYRL VF-1S