Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

2 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I had that experience exactly, and I will never do it again.  NY's "store credit" is about the most bonkers and restrictive policy I've ever heard of.

Basically, the breakdown:

1. You cannot spend it on anything less than the full amount, it is not like a gift card balance that you can spend on multiple orders.
2. You cannot apply the credit to shipping, whether or not your original refund included shipping payment for the cancelled item.

I wound up cancelling one of my 31A orders when I lost confidence in NY's ability to fill the order.  In the end, I was able to apply the refund to get a 31E, but here's what I had to do:

- I had to wait for the VF-31E to be marked up enough so that it cost the equivalent of a 31A plus shipping
- I had to order a candy bar along with it, because the total was like 500 yen under my credit balance.. which by the time the order was fulfilled, they didn't even have in stock, so they cancelled the candy bar, and I lost out on whatever it cost.  Frankly I didn't care at that point, but it was stupid.

Just don't accept store credit.

The only other option, sadly, is to do a credit card chargeback, which they will ban your account for, and cancel any orders you have unfulfilled.

Bottom line.. NY will deliver eventually, but once you've placed an order there, you're basically in for a wild ride, because they're going to hold your money hostage until they get around to shipping out your order.

Similar bad experience with NY.  They ignored my emails for a long time.  When they replied, it was a blow off response.  I thought they ripped me off.  I don't buy much from NY, so store credit on such limited terms was unacceptable for me and I opened a Paypal case.  They didn't bother responding to Paypal to communicate, and banned me.  So it's their fault, it's my right to complain, they don't listen, I complain to Paypal and they ban me.  That is not proper business behavior.  

Although others have reported that NY *eventually* delivered many months after the preorder issue, during the time that there is a delay, the customers run the risk 100% of losing their money or the product.  It's not about being chill, but poor stewardship.  This isn't reputable running a business behavior.  This is a contract.  There are terms you agreed on.  When you don't deliver on time, your reputation is at stake when you then change the terms, and you can't just make your terms in a bubble without looking at the rest of the market.  It's nice that they eventually delivered some (not all, as some have reported) product many months later, but that isn't how most businesses build their reputations on.  We as customers will talk with each other about our experiences, not just the good experiences.  Other companies rarely have to cancel, and when they do, they refund you money.  

Another member complained about cancelling at the last minute.  This is called replacement cost.  In business, if the supplier failed to deliver, the customer stands to lose his business because then the customer fails to deliver to his customers.  He can penalize the supplier a fee or sue because he has to pay extra to another supplier *at the last minute* and the replacement cost is much higher than the cost that was planned months ago.

I think the new practice of some stores offering a buyback at a higher price is better than arbitrarily cancelling a customer's order just to sell to another or even the same customer at a new price.  This collectible is starting to look like commodity trading on futures and forwards where people profit/gamble on the future expected/predicted price of commodities and people enter contracts to deliver in the future, except here in Macross there's no rules here.    

It's nice to hear NY delivered eventually and didn't jack up the price on the price that the customer paid, but we shouldn't gloss over the rest of the behavior.

35 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

The thing is any vender using PayPal must not take any payment unless they can deliver within 120 days or less (I don’t remember the exact timing but I think @sqidd mentioned it was less). This policy is somewhere in the PayPal terms and conditions but difficult to find. If you find it, just refer them to it for any issue you have past the time limit and they have to pay you because they allowed a vendor to break their rules. I haven’t tried myself but I went through an issue where a shop shut down with a ton of preorders from a lot of people and someone pointed out they got their money that way. I got my money by contacting my credit card company. I’m not sure what the time limit for cc companies are but I think that time starts after you get an item. If you paid for an item that was never delivered, I’m pretty sure any credit card company with reimburse you. 

I know these methods work and have seen the PayPal policy but haven’t tried looking for it again because I haven’t put myself in a position to need to since that one time. 

Thanks, that's good to know.  

25 minutes ago, Tober said:

I didn't mention it, but a credit card should protect you for about 18 months for 'pre-orders' which are called 'delayed delivery goods' in their terms and conditions. This is using a credit card for PayPal, linking with a bank account doesn't protect you beyond PayPal. This is for Australia, but I think it applies everywhere...  :unsure:

Thanks, I'll check with my credit card.  When I spoke with them last time, they said 2 months from the time there was a problem.

2 minutes ago, beatsing said:

Thanks, that's good to know.  

Thanks, I'll check with my credit card.  When I spoke with them last time, they said 2 months from the time there was a problem.

I believe the magic words are 'delayed delivery goods'. You must make it clear to your credit card company that the order was not for an in-stock items.  This is from a post on an Aussie Transformers Forum, but should still largely apply :

http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php/24252-Premium-Collectables-(PC)-not-refunding-help-is-here-for-doing-charge-backs?highlight=premium+collectables

Originally Posted by DarkHyren 

I'll post all three major cards delayed delivery terms here if anyone wants to link to them in future.

Mastercard: https://www.mastercard.com/ca/wce/PD...ack_manual.pdf
The reason code is 4855 for Goods or Services Not Provided, see "1.7.3 Time Frame for First Chargeback"
Quote:
When delayed delivery of goods or performance of services by a card acceptor results in a subsequent dispute about the condition of the goods or the quality of the services, MasterCard will calculate the period of 120 days using the delivery or performance date.
In cases that involve the delayed delivery of goods or performance of services that the cardholder asserts the card acceptor never provided, MasterCard will calculate the period of 120 days from the latest anticipated date that the card acceptor was to provide the goods or services.
In cases that involve interrupted services where the services are immediately available, the period of 120 days will begin on the date that the services cease. In no case shall the first chargeback exceed 540 days (approximately 18 months) from the Central Site Business Date of the first presentment.

Visa: https://usa.visa.com/dam/VCOM/downlo...les-public.pdf
The reason code is 30 for Services Not Provided or Merchandise Not Received, see "11.1.10.4 Chargeback Time Limit – Reason Code 30"
Quote:
A Chargeback must be processed no later than either:
- 120 calendar days from the Transaction Processing Date
- If the merchandise or services were to be provided after the Transaction Processing Date, 120 calendar days from the last date that the Cardholder expected to receive the merchandise or services or the date that the Cardholder was first made aware that the merchandise or services would not be provided, not to exceed 540 calendar days from the Transaction Processing Date

American Express: https://www.americanexpress.com/cont...kcodeguide.pdf
The reason code is 4554 for Goods And Services Not Received, see "REASON CODE 4554 Goods And Services Not Received"
Quote:
Maximum time a dispute can be raised
One hundred and twenty (120) days from the date American Express Network processed the Transaction, or
One hundred and twenty (120) days from (whichever occurred first):
– the date the Card Member expected to receive goods and/or services, or
– the date the Card Member became aware that the expected goods and/or services would not be provided (not exceeding five hundred and forty (540) days from the date American Express Network processed the Transaction).

What I've noticed is that a lot of bank employees get as far as the first part of the time limit modifiers and ignore everything else because "words", which is why so many focus on the "it's more then 120 days after you paid, we cant help".
So just show them the rest which says "OR IF IT'S A DELAYED DELIVERY ITEM USE THIS BIT".

If you know that your item is within the disputable time frames and your bank wont help even after trying to escalate the matter with their complaints department contact the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) at https://www.fos.org.au/ as their job is to help bank customers who are having issues such as the bank not putting through chargeback disputes properly.
Just be aware that if you dont have an ETA that is within the last 120 days (NOTE: updated ETAs that differ from the original are valid so long as they are either on the merchants website, social media, or in a personal communication to you from the merchants email account) and/or your original payment date is older then 540 days no one from the bank, credit provider, or FOS is obligated to help you.

2 hours ago, F360 said:

I mean they will do nothing. ,  I don’t recall them full filling any high demand macross preorders . Iirc their preorder window lasted way too long too .

It's their mistake as the VF-1S page clearly stated that they will only open preorders once they have confirmed stocks. Now that Bandai cut their orders it has nothing to do with me as a customer.

I am not expecting anything but it's worth a shot anyway. Who knows maybe they are able to get me one.

@beatsing I don’t want to go into this much more here but just to clarify, I never heard one report of NY not delivering the 31A or anything else. Do you have a link or reference to someone claiming this was the case for them?

Back to the main concern at hand, I’m glad to hear some people are getting shipments or even have the 1S in hand already. I hope I’m one of them soon and I want to get on to seeing the pics of this thing in people’s collections. 

43 minutes ago, beatsing said:

It's nice to hear NY delivered eventually and didn't jack up the price on the price that the customer paid, but we shouldn't gloss over the rest of the behavior.

Exactly. Just because they were able to deliver the 31A it doesn't mean they're to be excused of their other shitty practices like some tout them as if they're that awesome and reliable. They're in the retail business and there are expectations which most of them aren't really absurd or too demanding. Expectations that are just the norm like delivering in a timely manner. Sure it's above and beyond they filled the 31A orders which it wasn't their fault since Bandai shorted everybody. But what about not shipping products on time that don't have shortages? Case in point the Dairugger XV. There are customers that haven't received them from NY even though the US has shipped out theirs. It's not just on this one occasion also. What about them buying other stores's pre-order stock just to sell them at a higher price? These people could have gotten them from those stores at the PO or retail price but NY bought them to price gouge. 

But hey, they delivered the 31A and will deliver even if that's slow so they're good, right?

I didn't get the VF-31A I ordered from NY too. I ordered a few units for myself and friends back in 2017, the day after pre-order opened. The toy came out in March 2018. I waited till January 2019 for NY to fulfill my orders but they couldn't commit to it. I cancelled a part of it in November 2018 and the rest in January 2019. Routine followups also resulted in the same scripted response and they kept offering refunds. so I caved in. I had to accept store credit since it was more than a year since the payment was made. The worst part was, as I recall, how the VF-31A was in stock at a mark up weeks after I cancelled mine. Maybe a coincidence?

I don't give them as much business as I used to because of that incident due to financial decisions but there are other alternatives. My experience contradicts some of the statements made here but that VF-31A debacle was the one time NY couldn't deliver.

Edited by neoexcaliber

Thought there will be more posts on VF-1S itself only to see half the posts (estimated) dedicated to NY experience. Déjà vu much from the 31A thread. Sincerely hope the ones who are not satisfied with NY in any way be it via past personal experience or from reading about them just not used them at all ever. Perhaps if I can find the time I will cross reference the 31A debacle period in the 31 thread and this current one to see if there are any same guys moaning about not using NY then but are still using them now. Isn't there a NY experience bitching and counselling thread somewhere? Could help with rehabilitation from the mental trauma of shopping with NY. :p

Back to topic I just want to confirm if orders fully paid for and in HLJ's warehouse are fully secured. Pondering to ship it immediately or wait a few more days for a back ordered item. All these talks about stock shortages have me concerned they may accidentally sell away my fully paid 1S. -_-

Edited by eXis10z

4 minutes ago, eXis10z said:

Thought there will be more posts on VF-1S itself only to see half the posts (estimated) dedicated to NY experience. Déjà vu much from the 31A thread. Sincerely hope the ones who are not satisfied with NY in any way be it via past personal experience or from reading about them just not used them at all ever. Perhaps if I can find the time I will cross reference the 31A debacle period in the 31 thread and this current one to see if there are any same guys moaning about not using NY then but are still using them now. Isn't there a NY experience bitching and counselling thread somewhere? Could help with rehabilitation from the mental trauma of shopping with NY. :p

Back to topic I just want to confirm if orders fully paid for and in HLJ's warehouse are fully secured. Debating whether to ship it immediately or wait a few more days for a back ordered item. All these talks about stock shortages makes me worried they may accidentally sell away my fully paid 1S. -_-

I got a Shipping notice and a Tracking number on my HLJ. I secured this order during the private warehouse issue last Friday (or Thursday to most guys here)

13 minutes ago, chyll2 said:

I got a Shipping notice and a Tracking number on my HLJ. I secured this order during the private warehouse issue last Friday (or Thursday to most guys here)

Oh yeah mine was from Fri and it's sitting in my warehouse yet to be shipped. Just curious if there were ever a case where someone's order (macross or not) sitting in their warehouse were accidentally sold away in a freak accident.

Edited by eXis10z

3 hours ago, Tober said:

I believe the magic words are 'delayed delivery goods'. You must make it clear to your credit card company that the order was not for an in-stock items.  This is from a post on an Aussie Transformers Forum, but should still largely apply :

http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php/24252-Premium-Collectables-(PC)-not-refunding-help-is-here-for-doing-charge-backs?highlight=premium+collectables

Thanks this is really helpful @Tober

2 hours ago, Slave IV said:

@beatsing I don’t want to go into this much more here but just to clarify, I never heard one report of NY not delivering the 31A or anything else. Do you have a link or reference to someone claiming this was the case for them?

Back to the main concern at hand, I’m glad to hear some people are getting shipments or even have the 1S in hand already. I hope I’m one of them soon and I want to get on to seeing the pics of this thing in people’s collections. 

@Slave IV I don't have a link, it was from scanning the posts.  Someone else didn't get one and posted about it.  I didn't order a 31a, but I did order different products from them.

2 hours ago, neoexcaliber said:

I didn't get the VF-31A I ordered from NY too. I ordered a few units for myself and friends back in 2017, the day after pre-order opened. The toy came out in March 2018. I waited till January 2019 for NY to fulfill my orders but they couldn't commit to it. I cancelled a part of it in November 2018 and the rest in January 2019. Routine followups also resulted in the same scripted response and they kept offering refunds. so I caved in. I had to accept store credit since it was more than a year since the payment was made. The worst part was, as I recall, how the VF-31A was in stock at a mark up weeks after I cancelled mine. Maybe a coincidence?

I don't give them as much business as I used to because of that incident due to financial decisions but there are other alternatives. My experience contradicts some of the statements made here but that VF-31A debacle was the one time NY couldn't deliver.

yup.  I had a similar experience where my order was not fulfilled and then within minutes it was up at a mark up.  Reputable businesses don't do this.  I read that some companies are offering a buyback (I haven't seen this first hand) and that's better than cancelling your order to sell it at markup.

2 hours ago, Valkyrie23 said:

Just received a payment request from Hobby Search. My order was from the night before release date.

Hobbysearch goes from preorder to closed before I can even press the add to cart, haha

2 hours ago, crackpot said:

Exactly. Just because they were able to deliver the 31A it doesn't mean they're to be excused of their other shitty practices like some tout them as if they're that awesome and reliable. They're in the retail business and there are expectations which most of them aren't really absurd or too demanding. Expectations that are just the norm like delivering in a timely manner. Sure it's above and beyond they filled the 31A orders which it wasn't their fault since Bandai shorted everybody. But what about not shipping products on time that don't have shortages? Case in point the Dairugger XV. There are customers that haven't received them from NY even though the US has shipped out theirs. It's not just on this one occasion also. What about them buying other stores's pre-order stock just to sell them at a higher price? These people could have gotten them from those stores at the PO or retail price but NY bought them to price gouge. 

But hey, they delivered the 31A and will deliver even if that's slow so they're good, right?

Agreed. 

For those who are patient and "chill" they have apparently agreed to different terms of contract: to wait indefinitely as long as they deliver.  

If NY improved their business practices, I'd reconsider doing business with them.  It's not like I don't read all the nice things peeps have said about them.  

Sorry for the off topic, but NY seems to come up with DX orders a lot.

4 hours ago, Tober said:

@Tober Just read your linked article it's good stuff!  Most of the points are stuff I rehashed here, like delivering on time.

The links for the credit cards didn't work for me; I got 404 error page not found.  If you updated links, let me know, this was a helpful post @Tober thanks!

I just got a wonderful email from HLJ that they couldn't fulfill my order.  I ordered last Thursday/Friday, pretty early on when stock was made available on their website.  Thank goodness I got one from AE on PO night months ago (which just shipped) but this really does suck for those that were expecting HLJ to fulfill their orders from Friday:

Untitled.png.5188fef6fab23125c2c5df6ad6bd527d.png

Edited by dafob