Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

36 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

NY will also allow you to cancel if you just ask them reasonably. I’ve cancelled several orders with them and it was  no issue. 

Also, I’ll point out again that using a credit card through PayPal not only saves you conversion costs (especially if you use a no foreign transaction fee card) but it also gives you the credit card security that goes beyond PayPal’s. There is absolutely no reason to worry about getting ripped off in this day and age of commerce, especially when dealing with a company that has a history of always delivering anyways. 

+1 on this. I have cancelled a PO on 31E with NY, and they did so without problem when I ask them nicely.

For the 1S, they will be even more willing to cancel if you ask I imagine. Since it is so "hot"/hard to get that they will have less problem selling it to someone else. Unless your mark up price is really high.

12 minutes ago, sqidd said:

I didn't say they were MSRP!:rofl:

Haha yeah, I know you are ballin! I have a ridiculous collection but part of the reason I'm able to is that I don't buy things if I can't get them for MSRP or less. I'm willing to wait or miss out if I have to. It's also why I shop at NY and use their cheapest, often ferry shipping because I'd rather save money to get more toys than pay to have the same thing sooner.

34 minutes ago, sqidd said:

I was always under the impression that NY always came through. I knew a tiny bit about the 31 fiasco. That's why I felt OK about ordering through them. But, I'm sensing that this go round may be different if shops are already offering to buy them back at inflated rates. This may be the time that despite NY wanting to come though on all the orders they took, they simply may not be able to. They could have over sold. There is a first time for everything.

As far as time limits go when 6mo is closing in and I am about to lose my ability to file a charge-back through PayPal, I'll be filing that charge-back. I don't care what someones reputation is. I'm not giving up my only chit to play.;)

Until then. I wait.

Not sure what NY will or will not do this time round. But the 31A was inflated much more than the DX 1S.

I am not sure how much it actually was right after release, but eventually it when to beyond $400 and NY still fulfilling their orders at that point. Like many have said, it somehow does not make sense. Because a lot of other seller have cancelled the cheaper PO and try to sell what stock they have at a much higher margin. But NY seems to really feel that the reputation that they will honer a PO contract even if it mean that they are loosing out on possible better margin is worth it for them. If that is true and the real reason behind the fiasco, I have a lot of respect for them.

But again, the 31A case does not necessary means that we can expect NY to operate in similar manner for the 31S.

6 minutes ago, sqidd said:

It is.:o

bummer. :( 

Since you already have secure 3 with less mark up, you can try asking nicely for NY to cancel the PO. No harm asking I feel, worst case is, they say no and then you are still in the same situation.

The 31E PO that I have cancelled at NY was also marked up 5000 yen higher than the asking price at the time of my cancellation request.

Edit: forget to add that, the 31E PO was also my first even order on NY at that time, so I basically have no history with them and they still kindly cancelled and refund my order in full.

Edited by kkx

2 minutes ago, kkx said:

Not sure what NY will or will not do this time round. But the 31A was inflated much more than the DX 1S.

I am not sure how much it actually was right after release, but eventually it when to beyond $400 and NY still fulfilling their orders at that point. Like many have said, it somehow does not make sense. Because a lot of other seller have cancelled the cheaper PO and try to sell what stock they have at a much higher margin. But NY seems to really feel that the reputation that they will honer a PO contract even if it mean that they are loosing out on possible better margin is worth it for them. If that is true and the real reason behind the fiasco, I have a lot of respect for them.

But again, the 31A case does not necessary means that we can expect NY to operate in similar manner for the 31S.

The 31A was reaching $600-$700 prices when NY was still delivering orders that paid under $200. I don't even think it's a matter of their honor or reputation. I think they just do what they say they will do. If you got an order in at whatever price, that's the price you get. If you miss out at the initial price and pay their markup, you will get that item at the markup price. The only thing I have seen that people also bitch about is when they sometimes ask for additional shipping. Again, I chalk that up to unexpected business costs and it is a non-issue to me. Out of the hundreds of items I've bought there, I think I have paid a total of less than $50 in additional shipping charges...probably closer to $30.

2 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Haha yeah, I know you are ballin! I have a ridiculous collection but part of the reason I'm able to is that I don't buy things if I can't get them for MSRP or less. I'm willing to wait or miss out if I have to. It's also why I shop at NY and use their cheapest, often ferry shipping because I'd rather save money to get more toys than pay to have the same thing sooner.

I'd have to do it the same way you do if I collected as much stuff as you for sure.

I didn't have a plan when I started getting back into this short of:

-Displays must be glass cases.

-If I can't display it, I don't get it.

Now that I have been doing it a bit and realized how much I like Super Robots I have added a few requirements for myself:

-I only get what REALLY turns me on.

-I don't get something for the sake of filling out a line. Get every HMR for example. Or, "get every Mazinger". Or, get one in each scale.

These rules have tightened up my collection quite a bit. I actually just sold some stuff off based on the above rules. And will probably be selling some more. In the end the above rules limit the size of my collection (I need limits;)). Because it's limited I don't feel so bad over-paying for certain items. I would have spent that money on other/more stuff without the limits in place anyway.:p

2 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

The 31A was reaching $600-$700 prices when NY was still delivering orders that paid under $200. I don't even think it's a matter of their honor or reputation. I think they just do what they say they will do. If you got an order in at whatever price, that's the price you get. If you miss out at the initial price and pay their markup, you will get that item at the markup price. The only thing I have seen that people also bitch about is when they sometimes ask for additional shipping. Again, I chalk that up to unexpected business costs and it is a non-issue to me. Out of the hundreds of items I've bought there, I think I have paid a total of less than $50 in additional shipping charges...probably closer to $30.

$600 to $700 !!! wow, I was imagining (wrongly) that the markup was about $450 when NY are still delivering PO at under $200.

So they could have make $400 to $500 extra if they cancel that cheap PO.

9 minutes ago, kkx said:

I respect them a lot for filling those 31A orders when they could have canceled and sold them for more. I take my honor very seriously, I respect others that do. 

I'm not so much worried about their honor. My, let's call it a concern, is that they may not actually be able to scare up enough units. No matter the price. Time will tell.

1 minute ago, sqidd said:

I'd have to do it the same way you do if I collected as much stuff as you for sure.

I didn't have a plan when I started getting back into this short of:

-Displays must be glass cases.

-If I can't display it, I don't get it.

Now that I have been doing it a bit and realized how much I like Super Robots I have added a few requirements for myself:

-I only get what REALLY turns me on.

-I don't get something for the sake of filling out a line. Get every HMR for example. Or, "get every Mazinger". Or, get one in each scale.

These rules have tightened up my collection quite a bit. I actually just sold some stuff off based on the above rules. And will probably be selling some more. In the end the above rules limit the size of my collection (I need limits;)). Because it's limited I don't feel so bad over-paying for certain items. I would have spent that money on other/more stuff without the limits in place anyway.:p

Yeah, that's a really smart way to go. Sometimes, paying more for less is better than paying less for a bunch of stuff I can't even see!:D

One of my "rules" since getting back into it a few years ago is only getting what I can open and play with too, which is still the plan but I'm just falling behind on it so I'm realizing there is not enough time or space for me to actually play with everything I like. So...I need to reevaluate and adjust some things in the near future.

7 minutes ago, kkx said:

bummer. :( 

Since you already have secure 3 with less mark up, you can try asking nicely for NY to cancel the PO. No harm asking I feel, worst case is, they say no and then you are still in the same situation.

The 31E PO that I have cancelled at NY was also marked up 5000 yen higher than the asking price at the time of my cancellation request.

Edit: forget to add that, the 31E PO was also my first even order on NY at that time, so I basically have no history with them and they still kindly cancelled and refund my order in full.

Good to know. I certainly am not into burning bridges. I mistakenly came off like I was going to "charge-back first, ask questions later". I wouldn't do that. I would be contacting them first and try and come to a resolution.

57 minutes ago, sqidd said:

I was always under the impression that NY always came through. I knew a tiny bit about the 31 fiasco. That's why I felt OK about ordering through them. But, I'm sensing that this go round may be different if shops are already offering to buy them back at inflated rates. This may be the time that despite NY wanting to come though on all the orders they took, they simply may not be able to. They could have over sold. There is a first time for everything.

As far as time limits go when 6mo is closing in and I am about to lose my ability to file a charge-back through PayPal, I'll be filing that charge-back. I don't care what someones reputation is. I'm not giving up my only chit to play.;)

Until then. I wait.

I may have just said the words 'past results do not guarantee future performance', but I think secondary market prices were much, much higher for the -31A launch than they are for the -1S right now. I can see BIN for the -1S prices for less than 30k on Yahoo Japan right now. During the -31A debacle, secondary market prices were easily twice that. This means that if N-Y was buying at or below MSRP, they had a huge financial incentive to cut their pre-orders loose and sell at market price. If they were buying at secondary market prices, they also had a huge financial incentive to shrug and say "Sorry, couldn't find one!" rather than pay 2x or 3x what the customer paid to pre-order it.

Sure, N-Y could start screwing people over en-masse at any point as a result of any number of internal factors. But from what I can tell, pressure to not deliver was much, much higher for the -31A release.

EDIT: I can see that Slave IV already beat me to the punch here, but I'll let my reply stand.

Edited by MikeRoz

1 minute ago, MikeRoz said:

I may have just said the words 'past results do not guarantee future performance', but I think secondary market prices were much, much higher for the -31A launch than they are for the -1S right now. I can see BIN prices for less than 30k on Yahoo Japan right now. During the -31A debacle, secondary market prices were easily twice that. This means that if N-Y was buying at or below MSRP, they had a huge financial incentive to cut their pre-orders loose and sell at market price. If they were buying at secondary market prices, they also had a huge financial incentive to shrug and say "Sorry, couldn't find one!" rather than pay 2x or 3x what the customer paid to pre-order it.

Sure, N-Y could start screwing people over en-masse at any point as a result of any number of internal factors. But from what I can tell, pressure to not deliver was much, much higher for the -31A release.

I appreciate the insight.

I'm not looking to cut bait with NY because I found three for less. If they fill my order, great. I'll take them. I do have some customs I want done. I'll need VF-1S's for that. Additionally, I also made a commitment to the deal. I always fulfill my commitments. The only caveat to that is if I'm about to lose my ability to charge-back through PayPal we (NY and I) will have to come to an agreement that doesn't leave my tail hanging out inn the wind.

Additionally I have 10 sets of strike packs (for future releases) and I can't remember how many missiles on order with them. I'm not looking to torpedo those transactions.

55 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

@sqidd, Remember there is another technicality with Paypal. Any vendor that is charging for items they can't deliver within that time period is violating their policy and if you point out to Paypal that they allowed a vendor to violate their policy, Paypal has to reimburse you. 

Oh, I know.:D

Actually, they're not allowed to take deposits through PayPal for more than 21 or 30 days. I can't remember. I know this one first hand from my PO's. When I first started the biz PayPal put the smack down on me.:o

I don't want it to come to that. But if it does it's no contest. NY is violating all sorts of PP policy.

Edited by sqidd

1 minute ago, sqidd said:

Oh, I know.:D

Actually, they're not allowed to take deposits through PayPal for more than 21 or 30 days. I can't remember. I know this one first hand from my PO's. When I first started the biz PayPal put the smack down on me.:o

I don't want it to come to that. But if it does it's no contest. MY is violating all sorts of PP policy.

Haha yeah. The good thing is I doubt it will come to that. NY will deliver. :D

Enjoy those Valks!

10 hours ago, crackpot said:

This ^

It takes a lot of willpower to do this especially if it's something you like and it's hard especially when one gets desperate. 

Isn't Play Asia located in HK? I wouldn't be surprised if they decided not to fulfill pre-orders and instead sold them at scalper prices but that's assumption on my part. 

Yes, they are a HK based company which has been operating for 17 years. I am not sure if they have this practise of selling at scalpers prices but cancelling my paid order 1 day before release is way wrong.

Initially it was only a pre-order with no payment needed, but then they requested for a full payment due to their change of policy and stating that my order is secured. Now they are telling me that Bandai cut their orders and they have to cancel mine. IMO, if you are unconfident to secure a pre-order you should not have asked for a full payment beforehand. I am actually ok to let it slide if my order is not fully paid.

I am now forcing them to get one for me even if means they have to buy from scalpers.

Edited by Tenbatsu

18 minutes ago, Matt Random said:

Has anyone ever cancelled with NY for a prepaid item? 

During the vf-31A, when asked about it, NY’s 1st response was basically to cancel the order, and they offered a store credit with caveats on it. These caveats were a little absurd, it was this that made me not shop at NY, I respect them for fulfilling all the orders in the end but a few got annoyed and cancelled and got burned by the experience. Their customer service was terrible in the way they responded to our queries

I think some people managed to get back their money cause they used CC and filed a claim with their CC instead

Edited by Guyffon

21 minutes ago, Guyffon said:

During the vf-31A, when asked about it, NY’s 1st response was basically to cancel the order, and they offered a store credit with caveats on it. These caveats were a little absurd, it was this that made me not shop at NY, I respect them for fulfilling all the orders in the end but a few got annoyed and cancelled and got burned by the experience. Their customer service was terrible in the way they responded to our queries

I think some people managed to get back their money cause they used CC and filed a claim with their CC instead

I had that experience exactly, and I will never do it again.  NY's "store credit" is about the most bonkers and restrictive policy I've ever heard of.

Basically, the breakdown:

1. You cannot spend it on anything less than the full amount, it is not like a gift card balance that you can spend on multiple orders.
2. You cannot apply the credit to shipping, whether or not your original refund included shipping payment for the cancelled item.

I wound up cancelling one of my 31A orders when I lost confidence in NY's ability to fill the order.  In the end, I was able to apply the refund to get a 31E, but here's what I had to do:

- I had to wait for the VF-31E to be marked up enough so that it cost the equivalent of a 31A plus shipping
- I had to order a candy bar along with it, because the total was like 500 yen under my credit balance.. which by the time the order was fulfilled, they didn't even have in stock, so they cancelled the candy bar, and I lost out on whatever it cost.  Frankly I didn't care at that point, but it was stupid.

Just don't accept store credit.

The only other option, sadly, is to do a credit card chargeback, which they will ban your account for, and cancel any orders you have unfulfilled.

Bottom line.. NY will deliver eventually, but once you've placed an order there, you're basically in for a wild ride, because they're going to hold your money hostage until they get around to shipping out your order.

Edited by Chronocidal

1 hour ago, Tenbatsu said:

Yes, they are a HK based company which has been operating for 17 years. I am not sure if they have this practise of selling at scalpers prices but cancelling my paid order 1 day before release is way wrong.

Initially it was only a pre-order with no payment needed, but then they requested for a full payment due to their change of policy and stating that my order is secured. Now they are telling me that Bandai cut their orders and they have to cancel mine. IMO, if you are unconfident to secure a pre-order you should not have asked for a full payment beforehand. I am actually ok to let it slide if my order is not fully paid.

I am now forcing them to get one for me even if means they have to buy from scalpers.

You will not be able to force them to do anything, they do have the right to cancel preorders should they not have enough stock .  The transaction ended once they refund your money .

Edited by F360

2 minutes ago, F360 said:

You will be able to force them to do anything, they do have the right to cancel preorders should they not have enough stock .  The transaction ended once they refund your money .

Let's see how it goes. They are now sourcing the stock for me thou. I have also requested to speak to their upper management.

1 minute ago, Tenbatsu said:

Let's see how it goes. They are now sourcing the stock for me thou. I have also requested to speak to their upper management.

I mean they will do nothing. ,  I don’t recall them full filling any high demand macross preorders . Iirc their preorder window lasted way too long too .

5 hours ago, Slave IV said:

@sqidd, Remember there is another technicality with Paypal. Any vendor that is charging for items they can't deliver within that time period is violating their policy and if you point out to Paypal that they allowed a vendor to violate their policy, Paypal has to reimburse you. 

@Slave IV "Within that time period".  What if it's past the six months?  Paypal is responsible for the six months for you to file your complaint.  NY may have a nice rep for delivering 31a after six months, but what if they can't?  

I've had problems with ebay and complained for non delivery within six months, and Paypal says "good, you're within six months".  so they process a refund within six months.  But not after, i don't think.  Have you tried after six months?

Whoever mentioned that buying with a credit card, does it cover you a charge back after six months?  My card only does 2 months.  Anyone know?  

16 minutes ago, beatsing said:

@Slave IV "Within that time period".  What if it's past the six months?  Paypal is responsible for the six months for you to file your complaint.  NY may have a nice rep for delivering 31a after six months, but what if they can't?  

I've had problems with ebay and complained for non delivery within six months, and Paypal says "good, you're within six months".  so they process a refund within six months.  But not after, i don't think.  Have you tried after six months?

Whoever mentioned that buying with a credit card, does it cover you a charge back after six months?  My card only does 2 months.  Anyone know?  

The thing is any vender using PayPal must not take any payment unless they can deliver within 120 days or less (I don’t remember the exact timing but I think @sqidd mentioned it was less). This policy is somewhere in the PayPal terms and conditions but difficult to find. If you find it, just refer them to it for any issue you have past the time limit and they have to pay you because they allowed a vendor to break their rules. I haven’t tried myself but I went through an issue where a shop shut down with a ton of preorders from a lot of people and someone pointed out they got their money that way. I got my money by contacting my credit card company. I’m not sure what the time limit for cc companies are but I think that time starts after you get an item. If you paid for an item that was never delivered, I’m pretty sure any credit card company with reimburse you. 

I know these methods work and have seen the PayPal policy but haven’t tried looking for it again because I haven’t put myself in a position to need to since that one time. 

26 minutes ago, beatsing said:

I didn't mention it, but a credit card should protect you for about 18 months for 'pre-orders' which are called 'delayed delivery goods' in their terms and conditions. This is using a credit card for PayPal, linking with a bank account doesn't protect you beyond PayPal. This is for Australia, but I think it applies everywhere...  :unsure: