Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

2 minutes ago, vlenhoff said:

I personally can't really choose between these two. Both the YAmmie 1/60 and the DX are beautiful to behold, but what i don't get, if why the 1/60 and the DX wont do the fighter mode like the Yammie 1/48 does. That part, were backpack meets the legs at the back, is the best part of the Yammie 1/48. It is tight, and it looks just like it did in the animation. Even the HMR has that tiny gap back there for some reason. 

IIRC, it was bcuz some peeps had a hard time getting that swing bar into / out of the connector on the bottom of the cockpit.  Mine works fine, though, so I don't speak from experience.  The DX swing bar isn't totally flush with the cockpit, I think because of the part that goes from the back and clips to the inside of the chest in battroid mode.  I think Bandai knew about this problem, added to the problem of the weight from the heavy legs, and the torque, so they made the swing bar have a release part.  The swiveling waist seems like an afterthought.  If Bandai had designed it around separating the swing bar just for more waist swivel, they should have made the swing bar attach better, like on the Yammie as you pointed out.  

Just now, beatsing said:

IIRC, it was bcuz some peeps had a hard time getting that swing bar into / out of the connector on the bottom of the cockpit.  Mine works fine, though, so I don't speak from experience.  The DX swing bar isn't totally flush with the cockpit, I think because of the part that goes from the back and clips to the inside of the chest in battroid mode.  I think Bandai knew about this problem, added to the problem of the weight from the heavy legs, and the torque, so they made the swing bar have a release part.  The swiveling waist seems like an afterthought.  If Bandai had designed it around separating the swing bar just for more waist swivel, they should have made the swing bar attach better, like on the Yammie as you pointed out.  

No, i am referring to the rear part in fighter mode. In fighter mode, where the back pack meets the legs. It has nothing to do with the swing bar. 

3 minutes ago, vlenhoff said:

No, i am referring to the rear part in fighter mode. In fighter mode, where the back pack meets the legs. It has nothing to do with the swing bar. 

A swing and a miss.  Haha.  No idea.  The fact that the yammie 1/60 v2 arms stay in place is another issue that the DX has that even with the pegs, doesn't stay pegged but the yammie is solid.  I also liked that little hook for the backpack in battroid mode.  

Just now, beatsing said:

A swing and a miss.  Haha.  No idea.  The fact that the yammie 1/60 v2 arms stay in place is another issue that the DX has that even with the pegs, doesn't stay pegged but the yammie is solid.  I also liked that little hook for the backpack in battroid mode.  

HA< i haven't noticed the arm thing in mine. Funny, I actually dislike thet little hook thing in the Yammie, 1/60, and I never use it. 

HA< i haven't noticed the arm thing in mine. Funny, I actually dislike thet little hook thing in the Yammie, 1/60, and I never use it. 

The arms sometimes droop in fighter mode; I think others pointed this out back when the 1j came out.  On my Max, it does it sometimes and takes some fiddling to get the arms/legs/backpack/gun all tight, bcuz when you move one thing, the others shift thoses fore arms off of the pegs.  The yammie didn't have that problem even though it came out a decade ago, and mine are still tight enough.  It's a small issue but noticeable compared with transforming the Yammie.  

Just now, beatsing said:

The arms sometimes droop in fighter mode; I think others pointed this out back when the 1j came out.  On my Max, it does it sometimes and takes some fiddling to get the arms/legs/backpack/gun all tight, bcuz when you move one thing, the others shift thoses fore arms off of the pegs.  The yammie didn't have that problem even though it came out a decade ago, and mine are still tight enough.  It's a small issue but noticeable compared with transforming the Yammie.  

I agree for being a 10 year old design, it is mighty solid in all modes. 

I agree for being a 10 year old design, it is mighty solid in all modes. 

This DX is lots of fun right now, but that plastic/metal swingbar might be an issue down the road.  And the arms probably will droop more too.  I'd rather Bandai not swivel the waist and have a solid swing bar, solid metal bar on a metal bracket because metal on plastic will eventually put too much weight on the plastic.  

Just now, beatsing said:

This DX is lots of fun right now, but that plastic/metal swingbar might be an issue down the road.  And the arms probably will droop more too.  I'd rather Bandai not swivel the waist and have a solid swing bar, solid metal bar on a metal bracket because metal on plastic will eventually put too much weight on the plastic.  

Agreed, I don't like the swing bar as it is in the DX. It is like transforming something made out of glass. It sort of takes the fun out of it, doing a balancing act so the darn thing wont come apart. I can transform any of my 1/48 Yammies with my eyes closed. You try doing that with a DX, it is impossible. That is the testament of the Yammies, fun, well engineered Valkyries. [except for the shoulder thing on the early 1/60]

Edited by vlenhoff

1 minute ago, vlenhoff said:

Agreed, I don't like the swing bar as it is. It is like transforming something made out of glass. It sort of takes the fun out of it, doing a balancing act so the darn thing wont come apart. I can transform any of my 1/48 Yammies with my eyes closed. You try doing that with a DX, i tis impossible. That is the testament of the Yammies, fun, well engineered Valkyries. [except for the shoulder thing on the early 1/60]

Yup, same here.  I saw a reviewer set the legs on a table so the weight doesn't strain the joint (@jenius, maybe?) but it'll still pop out.  This kind of fit problem should have been dealt with at the testing (and redesign) stage.  I've fiddled with it a lot, and the top part vs the bottom part is never really flush to both the top of battroid and the cockpit connector, unlike the yammie which is flush even though it has a little give.  I wonder how many prototypes broke at the swing bar during testing.  

It's still an awesome product, but this part of the transformation process is really important as it's weight bearing.  

Looking at the clear plastic adaptor for the stand, it's obvious that it encloses the swing bar connector to support it.  without it, leaving it in battroid mode for extended periods of time would put a lot of strain on it, and sitting on a shelf, the top half would nose dive when the joint disengages.  If that weren't the issue, Bandai didn't have to make the adaptor enclose the swing bar joint to lock it in.  This is something I haven't seen much discussion about online (although I don't speak Japanese, so I don't know if they have discussed it), just comments about the stupid disengaging swing bar.  But not much about the "bandaid" of the adaptor, or that they could have designed it differently.    

One thing I didn't mention in my review but probably will in the next one because it's happened on Max a few times now:
When you disconnect the swing bar, the plastic housing that locks it pegs into the back of the nosecone and secures the hip connection... but I've had that peg pop out several times during handling which makes the hip connection sloppy. It's easily remedied, and probably only happens because the hips are so stiff (generally a good thing) but it's a bit annoying.

Bandai needed to make that part a twist to lock to solve the unintentional popping apart.

Just now, beatsing said:

Yup, same here.  I saw a reviewer set the legs on a table so the weight doesn't strain the joint (@jenius, maybe?) but it'll still pop out.  This kind of fit problem should have been dealt with at the testing (and redesign) stage.  I've fiddled with it a lot, and the top part vs the bottom part is never really flush to both the top of battroid and the cockpit connector, unlike the yammie which is flush even though it has a little give.  I wonder how many prototypes broke at the swing bar during testing.  

It's still an awesome product, but this part of the transformation process is really important as it's weight bearing.  

Looking at the clear plastic adaptor for the stand, it's obvious that it encloses the swing bar connector to support it.  without it, leaving it in battroid mode for extended periods of time would put a lot of strain on it, and sitting on a shelf, the top half would nose dive when the joint disengages.  If that weren't the issue, Bandai didn't have to make the adaptor enclose the swing bar joint to lock it in.  This is something I haven't seen much discussion about online (although I don't speak Japanese, so I don't know if they have discussed it), just comments about the stupid disengaging swing bar.  But not much about the "bandaid" of the adaptor, or that they could have designed it differently.    

Yup, I don't want to sound like a party pooper, but this is my main issue with the DX. LOL, i love the "bandaid" comment, as it is accurate.  We were so close to the near perfect Valkyrie. I know this has been discussed before, but i wish Bandai would have gone the line art way. Where the legs swing down, and they detach from the chest, and reattach to the nose cone. Or simply do it the HMR/Yammie way, as a solid bar and call it a day. I wonder if someone[shapeways] could make a solid swing bar that could replace that flimsy break away swing bar.  

Just now, Sanity is Optional said:

I’m just wondering what I’m doing right over here, since all 4 of my DX digs seem to hold together quite solidly without sagging or disconnecting swing bars.

Don't you have to be super careful for the swing bar to remain in one piece during transformation? 

5 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

I’m just wondering what I’m doing right over here, since all 4 of my DX figs seem to hold together quite solidly without sagging or disconnecting swing bars.

So you're just leaving them in fighter mode huh? :D

5 minutes ago, vlenhoff said:

I've always wondered if this was a joke.

If it had been intended as a joke, it would've been at Tatsunoko's expense, for having to farm the work out to other studios with lower production standards.

Sometimes the mecha was so poorly-rendered, it was practically unrecognizable...  <_<

nadir.jpg.90f232929a8d06203005fc581f86eee5.jpg

Just now, tekering said:

If it had been intended as a joke, it would've been at Tatsunoko's expense, for having to farm the work out to other studios with lower production standards.

Sometimes the mecha was so poorly-rendered, it was practically unrecognizable...  <_<

LOL, Definitely a group of "monsters" as in ugly! OMG these things are hideous!

Edited by vlenhoff

9 hours ago, Anasazi37 said:

Forget the puny DX valks! I want this, which is being created for the upcoming Tamashii event. I’d find room for it in my house...somewhere. 

7082f1ec.jpg

Is it perfect transformation? And if so, how many guys would it take to transform it without breaking anything?

7 hours ago, vlenhoff said:

Hey @jenius, I know you're a master scaler. What scale are the GN-U DOU non transforming Macross plus bots? Are they about 1/82 scale?, as they are about the same size as the HMR when you stand them next to each other. I have the weathered trio, which will soon be for sale. Or maybe I'll keep them, but they don't transform :(

I'm with you there. I have those GN-U DOU, but intend to replace them with Studio Half Eye's 1/100 variable Macross Plus kits

14 hours ago, jenius said:

Do you want to pay for insurance?

No.

Your item didn't arrive.

I'm getting my money back from my credit card company. Enjoy that bill I'm stiffing you with.

Please don't shop here any more

F you you disreputable chumps!

Aren't the laws in most countries on the side of the consumer here? IE, I buy something from someone online, it's their responsibility to successfully ship it to me, not mine to pay extra for insurance and fight the shipper for reimbursement? Domestically, in my experience, paying for insurance has only ever been an option at smaller operations with questionable customer service.

While I would generally agree, $8 CAD (700jpy) is a small price to pay when spending $300-$400; if you’re spending even more, then it is silly not to pay it just for the peace of mind. That way you also don’t have to worry about your proxy service banning you when you do a charge back (which I agree is a bit ridiculous).

39 minutes ago, MikeRoz said:

Aren't the laws in most countries on the side of the consumer here? IE, I buy something from someone online, it's their responsibility to successfully ship it to me, not mine to pay extra for insurance and fight the shipper for reimbursement? Domestically, in my experience, paying for insurance has only ever been an option at smaller operations with questionable customer service.

Don't think you can make that assumption in many countries, no matter how modern.  A large portion of online shops selling Macross merchandise to foreign customers don't seem interested in giving you the time of day if there's a problem with your order, regardless of who is at fault.

Technically speaking, I'd say a good number of online shops should naturally fall under that "smaller operations with questionable customer service" category.  If you can walk or drive to a physical location, that's a different story, but if you're paying for shipping internationally, and you don't spring for the shipping insurance?  That sounds like you really don't care that much about the item.

Insurance on proxy buyers is another level to that though.  Just because you get matched to a seller via a proxy service does not mean that they can guarantee the seller will follow through with the sale.  Asking the proxy service to accept responsibility for flaky sellers is asking them to accept a lot of risk, and it only makes sense for them to charge a fee for this.  The insurance charge is probably calculated as some statistical average cost of recompense, based on the percentage of sellers who fail to deliver, and the average cost of the item they have to refund.

6 hours ago, tekering said:

The new Battlepod Monster: designed to make Zentraedi feel more at home while being shot up.

2 hours ago, Convectuoso said:

I'm with you there. I have those GN-U DOU, but intend to replace them with Studio Half Eye's 1/100 variable Macross Plus kits

My review of the Gnu Dou precedes my fanatical measuring days but I did find a comment in the article:

GNU Dou is roughly 13.5CM so it’d be like 1/115 scale. The Hi-Metal came in at about 17CM or 1/91 scale.

2 hours ago, Convectuoso said:

Holy smokes. I just looked those up. They go for a fortune!

16 hours ago, Anasazi37 said:

Forget the puny DX valks! I want this, which is being created for the upcoming Tamashii event. I’d find room for it in my house...somewhere. 

7082f1ec.jpg

Meh, it's got nothing on the Robotech Battloid:

Jason,_Andy,_Frank.jpeg

52 minutes ago, rocketblast said:

I got my Max in the mail today from amazon japan.  expensive sucker, not sure if it is worth it but I just went for it anyway.  no announcement on a roy strike?  I'm still not feeling it for the movie strike, gotta be a fokker or at least a hikaru yellow and black imho.

Hikaru's 1s is to be release next month, Roy's 1s is uncertain as of now.

Bloodbath to ensure for us collectors that haven't pre-ordered Hikaru's 1s and waiting for some units available during the release date.