Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

I think it's a mix of scalpers, and people who genuinely want four sets, so they can use them for all of the valks they included marking panels for.

What this announcement does do though is extend the expected delivery date for NY orders.  I would fully expect them to do their "singles first" thing, and completely ignore the order they received the orders in. <_< 

Edited by Chronocidal

1 hour ago, Chronocidal said:

Heh.. suppose I need to spend more time watching things I haven't seen in a long time.  Entirely fair point! ^_^  I think the animation consistency there is still questionable though. They aren't even this long.

vf-1a-fastpack-launcharm.gif

Really though, I see this as more of a case as "the animation is wrong by default, because it is physically impossible." You literally cannot operate an aircraft if the weapons physically impede the control surfaces, and they used those boxes in atmosphere in the latter half of the movie.  Just because it's drawn that way doesn't mean it makes a freaking lick of sense in the slightest.

But again.. Bandai doesn't "do" aircraft.  They prove it on a daily basis.

But every figure made by Bandai or whoever all gets checked and approved by both Kawamori and Tenjin. I mean you get people complaining about the Tampos but thats very little to do with Bandai and almost completely Tenjin.

40 minutes ago, PsYcHoDyNaMiX said:

woahhh i dont know how i missed it the first time. XD

wow the 2nd batch is like almost 4-5 months later. -=X

Wasn't there the first time they literally just put it up today, also much earlier than I would have expected.

So much for my wait till December for people who buy it in store theory lol

4 minutes ago, That one dude said:

But every figure made by Bandai or whoever all gets checked and approved by both Kawamori and Tenjin. I mean you get people complaining about the Tampos but thats very little to do with Bandai and almost completely Tenjin.

The lack of any consistency across releases would lead me to believe that those checks mean jack squat.

It's not an issue really worth fussing over, in the end, this is the same as not painting the landing gear white, or any other number of aircraft-related goofs that Bandai either is ignorant about, or just flat out doesn't care.  They followed the visuals of DYRL to a fault, and we got stumpy pylons that probably every other physical version of in existence (several of which also made by Bandai) looks nothing similar to.

They're not going to change it.  I plan to.  Pretty simple, it's just disappointing they chose to break the status quo, and make something in a way that no one else ever did, for a fairly good reason.

Edited by Chronocidal

34 minutes ago, Fisitron said:

I ordered a first round preorder from Taobao earlier and I’m glad because I do not wanna wait that long 

you should be careful with ordering official Macross items from Taobao.. they might not deliver.

3 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

something that blocky would never work in atmosphere to begin with :p

Glad I'm not the only one who has always thought this.  My headcanon is as follows:  SDFM TV is what actually went down, with some caveats here and there.  UUM-7 pods (which never appeared in the show) may or may not have been around, but if they were, they were certainly space-only.  DYRL is an in-universe movie made by hollywood types (using late-production VFs) and as such is full of historical inaccuracies like in-atmo UUM-7 pods.  Though, if the UUM-7 pod is space-only, maybe it could get by with short pylons, since the flaps wouldn't need to be extended in space?

2 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Pretty simple, it's just disappointing they chose to break the status quo, and make something in a way that no one else ever did, for a fairly good reason.

Yup, they do this frequently, such as the Hi-metal R M&M release with the new, off white accents.  I actually liked that one though.

3 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Just going to post this again, so it doesn't get lost:

Second round of super/strike pre-orders begins at 4pm JST on the 11th, or in about 30minutes.

This second shipment will deliver in April.

P-Bandai link

Thanks for the post. No links so far from NY or AE yet on the 2nd run....

2 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

*Sigh*

Now I'm wishing they should do second batch preorder for Hikaru's VF-1S. I already PO'ed one with a mark up. It would be nice to have another PO in MSRP.

:unsure:

I didn’t even get one, but I do support a second batch for the VF-1S, then i can get one at msrp

On a separate note, my missles from AE finally came

CC2BB81E-B927-43B6-8200-6407AF25034D.jpeg

Edited by Guyffon

2 hours ago, That one dude said:

Kawamori also approved of the original VF-25 toys. So what? Give me a large enough paycheck and I'll approve whatever you want. :p

The stumpy pylons just look dumb, is all. Whatever. I've come to expect inexplicable design choices and corner cutting from Bandai. Just don't try to convince me it's canon or "anime-accurate" with a few cherry-picked screencaps of old hand-drawn animation, as if those are more valid than any other screencap. The pylon lengths aren't even consistent in the screencaps provided earlier.

Edited by Lolicon

9 hours ago, Lolicon said:

WTF do the missiles just rest right up against the wings on the DX? 

Wow - that really does look crap... not that I use missiles much on my valks on display anyway, but this is enough to make me reconsider sanding down my extra Yammie missile sets to use with the DX valkyrie, and selling the DX missile set instead.

7 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

*Sigh*

Now I'm wishing they should do second batch preorder for Hikaru's VF-1S. I already PO'ed one with a mark up. It would be nice to have another PO in MSRP.

:unsure:

Word. Reading my mind again. I kinda just want the feeling of having one at MSRP. 

On another note, p-Bandai is still open for Strike April preorders. It’ll be interesting to see who gets them in Dec and who gets them in Apr from the crew that ordered at NY. I’d be interested in taking a tally when that comes - when it was ordered vs delivered.

I think all the variances in tampo, paint, armament detail, etc. might be somewhat intentional.  At this point, there are so many interpretations of the VF-1, it is incredibly hard (if not impossible) to say what is "correct."  So instead, when they make a new line, they try new things, different angles, lengths, etc.  It is partially about differentiating themselves from other existing products, maybe partially trying to find what looks best.  It is hit and miss; and sometimes they miss.  For me, the length of the pylons for the missile pods is a non-issue.  The various anime inconsistencies only reinforce the fact that these aren't real, and open to interpretation.  The later VFs, where more CAD is involved, might be a different category, where you could say more objectively what is and isn't correct.

I know there is what would be mechanically possible, or what more closely resembles real aircraft, and then there is stuff that has no basis in either.  But as someone who only collects sci-fi anime mecha, because it is sci-fi anime mecha, these inconsistencies don't bother me.  A part of me doesn't even want this to copy real-life aircraft too closely, because that isn't what I'm into (but that is just my personal taste).  Even if you were trying to make some kind of multi-purpose air/ground mech in real life, it is highly unlikely it would actually end up looking like any VF we have.  So... Bandai will Bandai, for sure.  But transforming-anime-robots will also be transforming-anime-robots.

But I do appreciate some of the custom work that goes on here.  To me, it just extends the realm of the hobby.

2 hours ago, UN Spacy said:

I really gotta wait ANOTHER four months?! I’m seriously done with the DX lineup after this BS. 

were you not able to place your preorder from the 1st batch?  only the 2nd batch is 4 months later.

9 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

I'll prob wait for Roy

Not sure I want to continue this line after Roy. Fully outfitting a single DX VF-1 makes Arcadia look inexpensive, to say nothing of the PO BS we have to endure. Which apparently includes web exclusives now too. 

11 minutes ago, gerwookie said:

So is this real? http://www.anime-export.com/sandbox/product/44283

I was able to add to cart but never used AE before. 

Thats a weird link, takes you to the site but looks really strange.

Googled AE and seemed more official, but OOS. http://www.anime-export.com/product/44283

Edited by canklebreaker

10 minutes ago, gerwookie said:

So is this real? http://www.anime-export.com/sandbox/product/44283

I was able to add to cart but never used AE before. 

Uhh... proceed with extreme caution.  This is the real Anime Export page.  I'm not sure what that page is.  The sandbox in the URL seems to imply they are maybe working on a new website, and somehow that content is live (but not really genuine).  

It could be a fly-by-night operation, though.

22 hours ago, ScrambledValkyrie said:

Yeah, me too. I’m holding off on DYRL schemes for now.

I’m surprised that a TWE sold out that quickly. I’m guessing a lot of people bought multiples.

We stay strong.

:drinks:

Well, i snagged the super set on bandaionline for 92 bucks, pre-ordered the VF-1S on ebay for 320 bucks and i am planning to get the VF-1J for whatever price it will go for.
This line-up is going to be expensive. Hope they come out with a VF-1D aswell, but i will stop there with 3 figures and two super-sets.

Edited by theraiden
spelling and fact errors

3 minutes ago, nathans82 said:

I took a chance and did it.  If it get's cancelled, I'll let you guys know.

The more I look at the source, the more I think it is a "genuine" sandbox page, not a scam page.  If AE launches a new site in the next few months, we'll know for sure.  I wouldn't count on getting your product, either way though.  It probably doesn't have accurate stock counts.  Why it is accessible is beyond me.

Or it could be a scam/spoof page, in which case I hope you have good payment protection.  Just watch whatever payment type you used.