Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

2 hours ago, canklebreaker said:

Weird, attempted to check out on the 28k listing but keep running into an error. Not meant to be lol...

you take a screen shot of the error just black out your info and we can take a look. 

25 minutes ago, F360 said:

you take a screen shot of the error just black out your info and we can take a look. 

All is good now, maybe the site was glitching earlier but I was finally able to check out. Hopefully the condition of the rest of the figure is good!

4 minutes ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

This is the link just in case anyone needs it: http://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1113706307

But it sold out

I managed to scoop it up. :)

Anyone know of a decent rotating display? Thanks for the recs on the ones that prop the figure up, think I'm going with the flightpose ones.

Edited by canklebreaker

18 minutes ago, Sayroll said:

Sorry to interrupt, but has anyone ever ordered here?

https://japanexclusive.ocnk.net/product/5517

No for me.

3 minutes ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

This is the link just in case anyone needs it: http://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1113706307

But it sold out

Maybe, @canklebreaker successfully placed the order. It was still available earlier when he posted the link.

Edit: Looks like he did it. ;)

Edited by no3Ljm

49 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Ouch. That hole in the extension is kind of a turn off. :wacko:

I know this is just a prototype. And hopefully everything is tampo'ed.

item_0000012988_0PVCbVnF_07.thumb.jpg.ca75c01c8143a9fde1229e1e79707315.jpg

You're not the only one that has mentioned about the extension,  @treatment has mentioned it on another Macross thread. <_<

Edited by borgified

1 hour ago, jenius said:

They kinda forced people who could to buy 4 all at once on the hope that the DYRL valks would be made... because Bandai has a very nasty habit of not making TWEs available again.  So a lot of people may end up with way more Strike Parts than they need if Bandai doesn't release any more DYRL valks or only releases one each year for the next few years. 

Hey, you never know.. given how the 31A turned out, people might not actually get their strike parts delivered until years after Bandai's stopped making the VF-1 DX at all. :p 

6 hours ago, rdrunner said:

I like the flightpose stands for a non-obstructive display in fighter mode. 

https://flightpose.com/

It looks like BBTS has a knock-off/homage to the flightpose display stands from Caliber Wings: https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/87092

I have not tried these so I have not idea about the quality or if there will be any issues with the tips.

2 hours ago, borgified said:

You're not the only one that has mentioned about the extension,  @treatment has mentioned it on another Macross thread. <_<

I’m more interested in what that hole implies. That’s a screw hole, which implies that there’s something that the strike cannon is screwed into. Which in turn means that either the strike cannon screws on (unlikely, since it’s swappable with the super), or the swappable section goes much further back into the booster than the Yamato/Arcadia/HMR ones.

6 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

I’m more interested in what that hole implies. That’s a screw hole, which implies that there’s something that the strike cannon is screwed into. Which in turn means that either the strike cannon screws on (unlikely, since it’s swappable with the super), or the swappable section goes much further back into the booster than the Yamato/Arcadia/HMR ones.

It looks more like that’s the track for the stop peg, to keep the cannon from going too far foreword.

21 hours ago, canklebreaker said:

Very cool display for the weapons. Plan on selling these?

Thank you. :good:

Sorry, I wasn't planning to sell them.  I made them out of some Plastruct.

3 minutes ago, canklebreaker said:

Very nice shot, what’s that backdrop you’re using?

Thank you. :good:

I am using a custom display set by FEXT System/Fext Hobby that I designed and they made for me.

Edited by Saburo

Just to confirm, I wasn't imagining things.. Yes, the HMR UUM-7 pods have longer pylons than the DX VF-1 sets.  Almost twice as long, in fact, which translates to 4x as long in-scale, since it's about twice the scale.  They're around 5/32, while the DX pods pylons are about 3/32.  So.. yeah.  Think I'm going to either start working on pylon extensions, or just stock up on Hasegawa sets.

1094198612_ss(2019-06-10at09_44.07).jpg.387cb75f3ca0eefd8276389106c0fdb1.jpg

As good as Bandai can be sometimes, I will never cease to be baffled by some of their design choices.  This is just all kinds of dumb, when they did it so well on another release. :rolleyes: 

Edited by Chronocidal

2 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Just to confirm, I wasn't imagining things.. Yes, the HMR UUM-7 pods have longer pylons than the DX VF-1 sets.  Almost twice as long, in fact.  They're around 5/32, while the DX pods pylons are about 3/32.  So.. yeah.  Think I'm going to either start working on pylon extensions, or just stock up on Hasegawa sets.

1094198612_ss(2019-06-10at09_44.07).jpg.387cb75f3ca0eefd8276389106c0fdb1.jpg

WTF do the missiles just rest right up against the wings on the DX? 

30 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

WTF do the missiles just rest right up against the wings on the DX? 

YUUP.

It's made all the more obnoxious by the fact that they went to the trouble of including those (incredibly inaccurate) wing flaps.  You can't drop them more than about 30 degrees, which is to say nothing of the big extending flap the plane is supposed to actually have. 

2101349932_ss(2019-06-10at10_00.28).jpg.b97680293b0212f6f178ef5d0149327c.jpg269639619_ss(2019-06-10at10_00.13).jpg.ed4af9c313e0b84cc189b2c60e16b49e.jpg

I want to say that there is literally no other example in existence of the missiles looking like this, either drawn or physical.  But you know Bandai gonna Bandai, and understanding how aircraft work is clearly beneath their expertise in the matter.

You notice, they only advertised the Hikaru strike pose in battroid.. because these look terrible in fighter mode.  Standing vertically in battroid with the wings out is the only time these missiles look even remotely presentable, because it hides the mounting stumps.

Edited by Chronocidal

6 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

YUUP.

It's made all the more obnoxious by the fact that they went to the trouble of including those (incredibly inaccurate) wing flaps.  You can't drop them more than about 30 degrees, which is to say nothing of the big extending flap the plane is supposed to actually have. 

2101349932_ss(2019-06-10at10_00.28).jpg.b97680293b0212f6f178ef5d0149327c.jpg269639619_ss(2019-06-10at10_00.13).jpg.ed4af9c313e0b84cc189b2c60e16b49e.jpg6

I want to say that there is literally no other example in existence of the missiles looking like this, either drawn or physical.  But you know Bandai gonna Bandai, and understanding how aircraft work is clearly beneath their expertise in the matter.

Thanks for sharing these photos. These do look bad. 3-D printing some better pylon will be nice. Not sure I have the skills to pull it off.

Edit: Forget to mention that when I open and look at the missile pack, I noticed (at least for the reaction missiles) that the pylon need to be inserted into the missile, can it be possible to glue some white plastic to the end of the existing pylon so that we don't need to insert them as much? Will that works? 

Edited by kkx

I can't even call this a step back.  This is face-planting at the top of the staircase.  It's so out of left field to mess up something so freaking simple.. like it takes effort to screw up something like this, and actively ignore every single incarnation that did it perfectly before.

If someone with access to a Bandai site could pass along those photos with a politely worded "WTF?" I'd appreciate it.  This makes no sense.  (Actually on second though no, don't pass along those photos, they're terrible :lol:  I sent them to myself on an ancient phone camera.)

Far as replacements go.. for the triple clusters and reaction missiles it'd be fairly simple to make a brand new pylon, which would probably be stronger, and better off.

The box missiles pose a conundrum, because they don't have a removable pylon(stump).  Unless you want to rip apart the boxes and put a new pylon in (it is a separate piece, you can tell from the molding seams), you actually need a pylon extension that will both mount under the wing, and snap over the existing stubs. 

I think it's possible, and I might make some pylons to try out, but I hesitate to make something in 3D without a prototype.  I might try and scratchbuild something to see what I can come up with there, and then see if Shapeways (or another printing service) can replicate it in a usable form.

Edited by Chronocidal

Heh.. suppose I need to spend more time watching things I haven't seen in a long time.  Entirely fair point! ^_^  I think the animation consistency there is still questionable though. They aren't even this long.

vf-1a-fastpack-launcharm.gif

Really though, I see this as more of a case as "the animation is wrong by default, because it is physically impossible." You literally cannot operate an aircraft if the weapons physically impede the control surfaces, and they used those boxes in atmosphere in the latter half of the movie.  Just because it's drawn that way doesn't mean it makes a freaking lick of sense in the slightest.

But again.. Bandai doesn't "do" aircraft.  They prove it on a daily basis.

Edited by Chronocidal

2 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Heh.. suppose I need to spend more time watching things I haven't seen in a long time.  Entirely fair point! ^_^  I think the animation consistency there is still questionable though. They aren't even this long.

vf-1a-fastpack-launcharm.gif

Really though, I see this as more of a case as "the animation is wrong, because it's impossible."  You literally cannot operate an aircraft if the weapons physically impede the control surfaces, and they used those boxes in atmosphere in the latter half of the movie.  Just because it's drawn that way doesn't mean it makes a freaking lick of sense in the slightest.

But again.. Bandai doesn't "do" aircraft.  They prove it on a daily basis.

I appreciate the real world logic... but... it's a transforming super robo fighter soooooooooo there's some leeway :D

Not only that, but these are at least partially space fighters. In space those control surfaces are completely useless.

So, question, in DYRL were the box missiles ever used in-atmosphere? That design makes them look like space-only armaments.

Also, just a FYI: Second printing of Super/Strike parts is now listed on the P-Bandai page. Ships April instead of December (ouch, 4month wait) and orders open on Tues June 11th at 4pm JST. Or in approx half an hour.

Edited by Sanity is Optional

1 hour ago, Chronocidal said:

YUUP.

2101349932_ss(2019-06-10at10_00.28).jpg.b97680293b0212f6f178ef5d0149327c.jpg269639619_ss(2019-06-10at10_00.13).jpg.ed4af9c313e0b84cc189b2c60e16b49e.jpg

You notice, they only advertised the Hikaru strike pose in battroid.. because these look terrible in fighter mode.  Standing vertically in battroid with the wings out is the only time these missiles look even remotely presentable, because it hides the mounting stumps.

Maybe Bandai just totally forgot that they were actually marketing the wing-flaps feature on their DX VF-1...

:bump:

Just now, Sanity is Optional said:

Not only that, but these are at least partially space fighters. In space those control surfaces are completely useless.

So, question, in DYRL were the box missiles ever used in-atmosphere? That design makes them look like space-only armaments.

That's really my entire problem with them (aside from how something that blocky would never work in atmosphere to begin with :p)  But yeah.  Max, Hikaru, and Kakizaki were all loaded with them before Max fought Millia.

Just going to post this again, so it doesn't get lost:

Second round of super/strike pre-orders begins at 4pm JST on the 11th, or in about 30minutes.

This second shipment will deliver in April.

P-Bandai link

Edited by Sanity is Optional

2 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Just going to post this again, so it doesn't get lost:

Second round of super/strike pre-orders begins at 4pm JST on the 11th, or in about 30minutes.

This second shipment will deliver in April.

P-Bandai link

woahhh i dont know how i missed it the first time. XD

wow the 2nd batch is like almost 4-5 months later. -=X

2 minutes ago, PsYcHoDyNaMiX said:

woahhh i dont know how i missed it the first time. XD

wow the 2nd batch is like almost 4-5 months later. -=X

Yup, good on them for fitting it into their production schedule, but this makes me think their schedule is pretty packed right now.