Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

8 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

I am lucky enough to spot a random opening, but not lucky enough to take advantage of it most of the time...  Not sure if you call that awesome or torture. LOL.... CRY

I figure I will probably stay away from the 1/48 DX VF-1 line.  Separate bills for the fighter, missiles, and super/strike pack kind of annoy me.  Just too expensive to fully deck-out a valkyrie., when all is said and done.  Plus the high probability of missing out on pre-orders makes me even less inclined to own them. 

I know that it is the new hot thing, but as it stands, I am seriously thinking of selling off my VF-1A Max and set myself free.

It is still a Max that I remember you said you really like.

Maybe wait till you receive it and see how you like it in real life. If you decided to sell it after that (even with not MIB anymore), I am pretty sure you can recover your cost with no problem.

I am still looking to get one DX Max, so if you are serious about selling, please let me know. The current price on Yahoo is about 25,000 yen before international shipping.

Right on the money @Chronocidal

I still like my yammie because all the parts are not loose like the arms lock in in fighter mode but the dx1j I handled back in January was loose it hung down in fighter mode.  

I don’t really mind the over tampo as it’s another take on the valkyrie and if I get a vf1s it would be a nice contrast next to my yammie.  I like the yammie still a lot and considering it was out over a decade ago, and Bandai seems to have copied Yammie design mostly with a few tweaks like the shoulders, that yammie was years ahead of it’s time.  

The dx is impressive but availability and toxic environment from scalping makes the experience pretty crappy.  

If I had to bid and line up for an iPhone or Samsung I would not bother.  Other than their quality, those products are readily available.  

I understand that sometimes companies do limited runs for prestige, like the platinum gundam Bandai made.  It’s for bragging rights.  But the dx line is obviously not that.  

23 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

I am lucky enough to spot a random opening, but not lucky enough to take advantage of it most of the time...  Not sure if you call that awesome or torture. LOL.... CRY

I figure I will probably stay away from the 1/48 DX VF-1 line.  Separate bills for the fighter, missiles, and super/strike pack kind of annoy me.  Just too expensive to fully deck-out a valkyrie., when all is said and done.  Plus the high probability of missing out on pre-orders makes me even less inclined to own them. 

I know that it is the new hot thing, but as it stands, I am seriously thinking of selling off my VF-1A Max and set myself free.

My 2 cents, try collecting just one.  I only have 1 of the 1/48 yammie and two of the 1/60 (only bcuz shoulder on one was defective).  the whole line or deck it out with all the parts is nice but I mostly display my yammie without the parts anyways.  

34 minutes ago, drumondo said:

At this point, if all my orders come through I'll be fortunate enough to have a VF-1S, super/strike packs and missiles.

I'm done with the line from here.

Same here except that I also have the VF-1J with the nifty stand. I'll be happy with a naked TV and a Strike movie - as long as I stay away from this board and keep telling myself that I don't need GBP-1. I'm not even sure where I'll be putting the Strike. Looks like something in my cabinet will have to go.

13 minutes ago, Matt Random said:

Same here except that I also have the VF-1J with the nifty stand. I'll be happy with a naked TV and a Strike movie - as long as I stay away from this board and keep telling myself that I don't need GBP-1. I'm not even sure where I'll be putting the Strike. Looks like something in my cabinet will have to go.

Wait, they're doing GBP-1? :lol:

1 hour ago, kkx said:

Good to hear that they are more like a true proxy. Thanks for sharing.

Now I am really curious about what are the advantages of using NY vs a proper proxy? When there is a choice.

I know at some situation, NY is the only viable choice.

some advantages of proxy stores ( n-y, a-e, bij, mykombini, ni-ni-games, etc)

Price = if you order just 1 item, it will normally cost more using a Proxy due to fee and domestic shipping,

Customs = Many proxies will not lower your declare value , while n-y and other Proxy stores  will do that , which can save you paying extra in import fees

Availability = Proxy can only order for you if the item is still still available, once it's sold out , there's nothing else they can do other than refunding your money since they are buying it on your behalf , but a proxy store buys the item ahead of time base on what they think the demand is.  example : lets say N-Y was able to preorders 360 pieces of the super parts from bandai.    Even if p-bandai is sold out, N-Y will still be able to sell from their stock of 360 that they already secured. 

Timing and Cost =  Proxy will require full cost upfront,   , some proxy stores, example: mykombini will allow 50% deposit .

There are some that just don't have extra money yet at the time of preorder window open. 

1 hour ago, drumondo said:

I thought the CAD drawings of the DX GBP (along with the super and DYRL strike packs) had already been teased at an event about 6 months ago? 

edit:  found it.  Thanks to @seti88 it was posted here:

The last picture shows the GBP as planned.  Interesting also is the drawings of the inside of the super pack, which shows engine details as expected, and the circular skull/kite emblem marking on the sides.

AF21FB57-B6AB-474B-9DF8-CB6508E0D8B7.jpeg

Edited by rdrunner

1 hour ago, drumondo said:

I think it is inevitable since it is a Macross staple. Especially given that it was teased along with the Super/Strike parts. I think there was also some TV hands and some standing pilots.  Who knows what the release plan is for these bits and pieces.

How quickly the VF-1S & Strike Parts followed the VF-1A Max is telling me that there is probably a lot planned for this line. I expect to see at least TV Vermillion Squadron, movie Skull Squadron, TV VF-1S Hikaru + TWE Super Packs and TV Max & Milia Js + TWE Super Packs. Maybe also CF VF-1A and some 2-seaters.

50 minutes ago, F360 said:

some advantages of proxy stores ( n-y, a-e, bij, mykombini, ni-ni-games, etc)

Price = if you order just 1 item, it will normally cost more using a Proxy due to fee and domestic shipping,

Customs = Many proxies will not lower your declare value , while n-y and other Proxy stores  will do that , which can save you paying extra in import fees

Availability = Proxy can only order for you if the item is still still available, once it's sold out , there's nothing else they can do other than refunding your money since they are buying it on your behalf , but a proxy store buys the item ahead of time base on what they think the demand is.  example : lets say N-Y was able to preorders 360 pieces of the super parts from bandai.    Even if p-bandai is sold out, N-Y will still be able to sell from their stock of 360 that they already secured. 

Timing and Cost =  Proxy will require full cost upfront,   , some proxy stores, example: mykombini will allow 50% deposit .

There are some that just don't have extra money yet at the time of preorder window open. 

I see. Thanks for the explanation.

Now I need to decide if I want more SPP and if I do, NY and other proxy stores will be an option.

How many should I get??? is the question. I am still in the buy first and ask question later mode, after my failure to get anything at MRSP for this line. Including the missile set, which is entirely my own fault. I keep sitting on the fence until it is way too late. I do want to avoid missing out.

1 minute ago, kkx said:

I do want to avoid missing out.

That’s how I missed on 1J. Don’t be like me. Ultimately, a kind board member sold me a sealed box at about what I paid for the 1S with shipping. But I was just really lucky.

After getting my first Dx (yf-19), I think I want just one from this line and then I’m out. GBP doesn’t interest me at this point so I think a 1j or 1s, some accessories in the packs, maybe missiles, some yeti stands and then back to a cheaper (easier?) HMR line :) 

33 minutes ago, kkx said:

I see. Thanks for the explanation.

Now I need to decide if I want more SPP and if I do, NY and other proxy stores will be an option.

How many should I get??? is the question. I am still in the buy first and ask question later mode, after my failure to get anything at MRSP for this line. Including the missile set, which is entirely my own fault. I keep sitting on the fence until it is way too late. I do want to avoid missing out.

You can try Biginjapan , they always delivered for me and they normally close their twe preorders much earlier than N-Y.  That is a sign that they only sell what they can already get . 

As for how many ,  3 seems like a good number .  But that’s just me .

Preorder night is like an events , maybe even a tournament, lol .   So with that comes practice, failure , experience , etc.

its not easy but it’s not impossible either .

4 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

So, putting how ludicrous it sounds to compare these toys to a limited production sports car aside for the moment..  the disappointing thing is, despite all the design innovation they made, I'm still not sure I would call it "the best VF-1 ever."

Just from a detail, accuracy, and quality perspective.. Bandai still proves with every release that they don't quite "get it."  They overblow the tampo to the point that it looks dumb, inaccurate, excessive, and just ugly.  The tabs don't lock it together as well as the Yamato.  They don't pay attention to some key details that Yamato nailed from even their first version.  They tend to cut corners in ways that make things functionally not quite as good.  And try as I might, as much as I paid for the "privelege" of owning them, I can't do anything but cringe at how bad the missile sets look slapped directly under the wing with not even as much physical pylon as the HMR valks have, at half the scale.

I can't argue that the mold, detail, and articulation are impressive, and really pretty.  But in a big-picture sort of way, while Bandai's positives are definitely better than Yamato's, I also consider their negatives quite a bit worse.  It all kind of averages out, and between the things I wish they had done differently, and the constant frustration with even acquiring the stupid things, they leave a bad taste in my mouth that just sends me back to having fun posing and transforming my old Yamato valks. :huh:

Don't get me wrong, I'd say the DX VF-1 is still one of the best VF-1s ever made... but if the only reason Bandai is making these is as some sort of VF-1 ego trip, they need a reality check.  They make toys.  Not sports cars.  Not private jets.

Making the best product in the world means jack squat if people can't actually enjoy it.

I don't think it's so ludicrous.  I think you might be missing the point of what I was saying.  It's about brand management and marketing.  The purpose of something like a supercar or limited edition product is not to satisfy the larger consumer base.  It is about it existing at all, and people knowing it exists.  I know it is frustrating for us, the actual Macross fans that genuinely want the product, to struggle to get it.  But again, it isn't about "us." Or about this exact product in particular.  It is about "the brand."

Again, another car comparison.  If you live in the US you're probably familiar with the Lexus "December to Remember" commercials that play around Christmas.  They imply that people buy Lexus vehicles for their spouse/family members as a Christmas present.  But this isn't true; it very rarely happens.  It's about promoting the brand, and suggesting that people that can afford to buy someone a car for Christmas, would buy a Lexus for Christmas.  It implies that if people who are that wealthy choose to buy a Lexus (over something else), maybe it is a "really amazing" brand that the "average Joe" consumer should also be interested in.  I wish I had a link for the article that explains this, maybe I'll find it and link it later.

I get the frustration of having to deal with this in real time, and possibly be on the receiving end of what is essentially an elaborate marketing campaign for Bandai.  And I'm not trying to justify Bandai's actions, or say that it is some brilliant move by Bandai.  But Bandai is definitely a multi-million dollar, international brand, so they are definitely familiar with these kind of marketing techniques.

And with regards to the tampo on this particular line, if there is one thing I will always be 100%, drop dead certain of, it is that these forums will never be happy with the tampo a particular product has.  It will always be too much, too little, too big, too small, not anime accurate, not real life accurate, etc., etc.  I'm not saying you in particular, but I don't think I've seen a single release, at least in the 1/60 and larger scale, where someone wasn't complaining about the tampo and/or paint.  That's just the nature of the hobby, and the internet.

Edit: This isn't the exact article I was talking about, but it covers some of what I was saying.

Also, I'm not trying to say this theory is 100%, beyond a shadow of a doubt correct.  We're all throwing darts in the dark, here.  I'm simply trying to make sense of the "madness."  We're all pretty (understandably) salty after another insane pre-order madness, and as we lick our wounds there are constantly questions about why it is like this, and how it got to be this way.  I'm simply offering one more possible explanation for the method behind the madness.  I doubt we'll ever really know the truth. 

Edited by HardlyNever

Great points @HardlyNever

I still don’t think it is completely that complicated while I agree and know of the marketing tactics but if anything, I think if it is a factor, a very minor one in this case. 

I think the main thing is just the rule of limited resources and maximizing profits. Bandai would simply rather focus more of their resources on bigger, more popular, and most importantly, more profitable brands. 

3 hours ago, Kanedas Bike said:

Nice! ^

-b.

Thank you @Kanedas Bike! :D

3 hours ago, VF-Zer0S said:

Can’t wait to see those pictures 

I should hopefully get to them soon.

3 hours ago, beatsing said:

Your pics and display are so cool

Thank you @beatsing!

3 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Nice! You got it already, sir. :good: 

Also, only Saburo could pull this off... Invisible Valks. ;)

706E85B6-0825-4FDC-95F1-FCFBAD6E8A6B.thumb.jpeg.960bdcb377da2d252f8d8a9a8bb07c61.thumb.jpg.9f4ae36d5a85a9ebe8abf42d70fc90b2.jpg

:lol: took them off to take some pics, but never put them back on the stand.

2 hours ago, rdrunner said:

I thought the CAD drawings of the DX GBP (along with the super and DYRL strike packs) had already been teased at an event about 6 months ago? 

edit:  found it.  Thanks to @seti88 it was posted here:

The last picture shows the GBP as planned.  Interesting also is the drawings of the inside of the super pack, which shows engine details as expected, and the circular skull/kite emblem marking on the sides.

AF21FB57-B6AB-474B-9DF8-CB6508E0D8B7.jpeg

And you can CLEARLY see from this shot that they have the parts for the leg with covers removed.
But in the product page, not a peep of shots with covers removed.

Sigh. Not a big deal, but then again not a small deal either especially for a valk this scale, which is supposed to be "more detailed".
And when a 1/60 VF-1 has em!

tamashii2-35.jpg.06d50624094cec45e81dff417ff32f09.jpg

1 minute ago, LW32 said:

Is the pre-order for the strike pack tomorrow? (Or in a few hours?) Where? Will it be crazy like the VF-1?

It's for sale right now: https://www.nippon-yasan.com/figures/28386-super-dimension-fortress-macross-dx-chogokin-movie-vf-1-strike-super-parts-set-limited-edition.html

Seems like they're selling fast, from what I've read in this thread.

For those new to this collecting, and asked about the different valkyries available, DX is the new toy and is expensive at 18000 MSRP (27000 scalper price) + 9700Y super + 9000Y missiles.  If you haven't collected Arcadia (Yamato) is very similar at 1/60 scale and  on sale for just over 19600Y at HLJ for the M&M including the super parts and missiles.  the Premium finish is a bit more but also on sale and available.  

@HardlyNever interesting point about marketing brand.  However, after the fiasco with Eva, you'd think that would be damaging to Bandai's image/brand.  If Bandai wanted to make it elite, they could make the DX line the James Bond collectibles that are really expensive and limited quantity because the price and limited quantity is for bragging rights.  At the current pricing, and quantity, it's expensive but affordable, and common enough that a lot of peeps have a preorder.  It doesn't make any business sense, other than some Bandai employees might be in on taking a cut from the scalpers.

So if i get another valk at 27000 yen plus missiles(9000 y) and fastpacks(9700 y), then the bill is nearly 480.00 usd or more for a complete Valkyrie, including all shipping.

Sadly, this is pushing me to get 2 more at mark up, and forget about the missiles, fastpacks, and perhaps the rest of the line. I know these things are beautiful, and "the best to date", but this is pushing me away. :5:

that's why I posted the HLJ deal on the Arcadia for those that haven't already collected a Yammie/arcadia.  It costs about the missiles and the super pack of the DX, but includes the valk the missiles and super pack.

For most of us tho, we already have the yammies so the DX is the new toy.

I haven't ordered any of the missiles or super parts.  I haven't got the DX yet.  If I do get a preorder, I might just skip the parts, since I could buy another brand new Arcadia for less.  

I think you're right. I am actually shifting my focus back to Yamato, Arcadia, and HMR.

I am now only interested in finishing a 1/48 DX naked vermilion squad. I sincerely prefer to spend that sort of money in car parts, rather than paying over inflated prices for this.

Edited by vlenhoff

yup. someone else pointed out Bandai got them to soul search haha

If I get a VF1S preorder, then it's probably a one and done.  It's a really nice valk, but not really worth trouble of the preorder madness, and the aftermarket prices compared with Arcadia and especially HMR are not worth the improvements, which are the shoulders (which are fixed on the new Arcadia, and same shoulders on the HMR), and extra tampo, and the lasers on the head.  I'm not a completionist, so getting a whole complete set for the cost of the parts is easier on the wallet.  

11 hours ago, de_005 said:

I just took the plunge and bought the 1S + parts + missiles.  Thanks to everyone here for all the helpful pointers and info! 

Assuming max and milia are next? or 1s roy?

If you had ordered all that from Nippon-Yasan, I hope you didn't put them all in one order. If you did, you're gonna have to wait a long time before you get any of these since they will only ship the order once all items are already released/available.