Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

21 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

JV, i missed that... did they show super/strike packs for this already? 

Basically, they are nickel and diming us for all the add-ons, nothing new I suppose from Bandai DX stuff....

The missile set was the first one released.....no idea what is next, but I would think it would be either the SP or SSP.....hard to tell from Bandai since they always seem to get the missile tips wrong, but since they are releasing them "yellow-tipped" perhaps we get the SSP first and the SP later....maybe in a combo set for Max and Millia -1J's....and then forcing the "standard" SP as websclusives...

https://hobby.dengeki.com/event/652754/

P1010688-440x296.jpg

P1010682-440x283.jpg

P1010687-440x383.jpg

P1010685-440x272.jpg

P1010684-440x316.jpg

6 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Basically, they are nickel and diming us for all the add-ons, nothing new I suppose from Bandai DX stuff....

The missile set was the first one released.....no idea what is next, but I would think it would be either the SP or SSP.....hard to tell from Bandai since they always seem to get the missile tips wrong, but since they are releasing them "yellow-tipped" perhaps we get the SSP first and the SP later....maybe in a combo set for Max and Millia -1J's....and then forcing the "standard" SP as websclusives...

https://hobby.dengeki.com/event/652754/

P1010688-440x296.jpg

P1010682-440x283.jpg

P1010687-440x383.jpg

P1010685-440x272.jpg

P1010684-440x316.jpg

Hey guys, just got home. Thanks JV, i need to keep up to date 

damn you bandai nickel and diming us. 

2 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

David, you should really need to hang out more with us again in this funny pages. ^_^

yeah, i've been pretty away from MW and check in one every two days or once a day. i should come by more often.

update: awe man, they have a seperate sign for TV hands, a sign for tv packs and another sign for strike packs, then a missle set. 

damn you Bandai:angry:

Edited by davidwhangchoi

31 minutes ago, canklebreaker said:

Thanks for the opinions, I'll be patiently waiting. :D

Remember just because it will get re-released doesn’t mean you’ll get one. Many of us come up empty handed on pre-order night :/

Ugh.. Now that I look at the pylons closer, I'm kind of hoping the missiles can be removed from them. I would guess that Bandai understands even less about external ordnance mounts than they do about landing gear.  Those missiles are all too close to the wing for the control surfaces to even work.  You'd think after making the effort to specifically include that feature, they'd be more aware of things like that... <_< 

I wonder how hard it would be to kitbash the pylons with the Hasegawa set..

Edited by Chronocidal

17 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Ugh.. Now that I look at the pylons closer, I'm kind of hoping the missiles can be removed from them. I would guess that Bandai understands even less about external ordnance mounts than they do about landing gear.  Those missiles are all too close to the wing for the control surfaces to even work.  You'd think after making the effort to specifically include that feature, they'd be more aware of things like that... <_< 

...I'm working on it, Chronocidal.

I had that thought about the distance from the wing too.  As best I can tell, they've done it this way for looks.  The Hasegawa pylon looks taller.

A work colleague of mine is trying to 3d print up some mounts that I can glue into the tops of the Hasegawa pylons, so that modifications can be done entirely on the Hasegawa model kit parts, and not the toy.  However, looking at the mounts in those pictures, they're totally different to what Bandai has on anything else Macross related (171, 19, 31, 262...).  These look very similar to the Yamato parts as far as shape goes.

On 2/14/2019 at 8:29 PM, Duymon said:

Not sure I understand the question. I was just letting spacemanspiff know that he shouldn't need to worry too much.

Yeah, I use them for all my P-Bandai goodies since they charge fair shipping prices (For example, when MG Hazel 1st came out NY wanted 3500 yen for SAL while Bandaionline charged 1700 ..literally half O_o

Thank you for the clarification.  I did receive an envolope as you explained.  Really appreciate the heads-up on this practice.

Cliff-notes on situation:

I ordered missles on ebay.  They sent a shipping notification.  The package recieved was an envelope stating they would ship the items when they are released in Japan.  Apprently this is a practice to get around ebay's 30-day shipping window.  It was new to me and this fine group clued me into what was going on.

Carry-on with your Macross awesomeness!

Edited by spacemanspiff

30 minutes ago, mickyg said:

A work colleague of mine is trying to 3d print up some mounts that I can glue into the tops of the Hasegawa pylons, so that modifications can be done entirely on the Hasegawa model kit parts, and not the toy.  However, looking at the mounts in those pictures, they're totally different to what Bandai has on anything else Macross related (171, 19, 31, 262...).  These look very similar to the Yamato parts as far as shape goes.

It makes sense for them to use the base Yamato design for the hardpoints, no sense in reinventing the wheel.  They just have to make sure to change the measurements just enough so you can't possibly use the Yamato weapons on their valks. :p  Sheesh, it's like Apple redesigning all the connectors for their phones all the time..

What I think might be a viable option for a lot of Bandai's hardpoints would be to forego the locking bits entirely, and just rely on pegs to hold everything.  Makes the tolerances easier to deal with, and maybe has a lower chance of damaging the stock hardpoint.

Anyhow, I look forward to seeing how the progress goes!  I'm planning on a 3D printer upgrade this year, so I might get deep into the pylon/weapon production business.  I've got a long list of things I want to try out in terms of valk add-ons, but my current printer is a few generations too old to get the consistency necessary.

Edited by Chronocidal

30 minutes ago, mickyg said:

...I'm working on it, Chronocidal.

I had that thought about the distance from the wing too.  As best I can tell, they've done it this way for looks.  The Hasegawa pylon looks taller.

Actually, normal Bandai ordinance will fit on those. The central hole is the right size for a normal DX hardpoint, and the lip around the cylinder can latch onto the fingers on a normal DX attachment.

They've essentially made a hybrid of their hardpoint dimensions, but in the Yamato style that allows rotation.

Edited by Sanity is Optional

Yeah sorry, I should have been clearer about that.  I've personally tried the current DX pylons and they definitely fit.  However, I've noticed the "rim" of the circle on the wings for the DX 1J gets a bit deformed if you twist the pylons in it.  Not sure this is going to be remedied by the new "purpose built" parts.

At any rate, I just think it's interesting that they're redesigning the attachment from what's currently on the DX toys, to this new arrangement.  Seems silly to do that when the current parts fit.  Unless it's as Chronocidal's stated and they're just modifying the Yamato parts.  Even then, seems like more work on the molds than what would be necessary to just reuse the existing "triple fingers" approach.

1 hour ago, Chronocidal said:

I kind of feel like the distance of the missiles from the wing are a moot point when we are talking about missiles that mount to variable sweeping wings...

37 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

I kind of feel like the distance of the missiles from the wing are a moot point when we are talking about missiles that mount to variable sweeping wings...

You're still talking about a plane that needs to do this to land.  Variable sweep only does so much.

vf-1-fighter-controlsurfaces.gif.07f1c7f592d95906ced892d00316d3c0.gif

Just from a "feature" perspective though, the missiles look close enough to the wings to flat out restrict the "movable flaps" from even moving downward.  They'll probably get a little motion, but it's not like the flaps move accurately anyway.. :lol: 

It's just another drop in the bucket of "this would never work on a real aircraft, and Bandai either doesn't know any better, or just flat out doesn't care."  It's not like it detracts from it being a toy, but it's one of those little niggling issues that will bug people who know a lot about aircraft, and can't not see it when they look at it on a shelf.

Edited by Chronocidal

3 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

You're still talking about a plane that needs to do this to land.  Variable sweep only does so much.

vf-1-fighter-controlsurfaces.gif.07f1c7f592d95906ced892d00316d3c0.gif

Just from a "feature" perspective though, the missiles look close enough to the wings to flat out restrict the "movable flaps" from even moving downward.  They'll probably get a little motion, but it's not like the flaps move accurately anyway.. :lol: 

I was talking more about the missiles pointing the wrong way anytime the wing is swept in any way except for the one way that they are right.

36 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

The F-111 did that all the time. 

898B9B18-0297-41CA-9222-3B7E44BC5B9A.png

The ordnance pylons are all interlinked to keep them pointed forward, yep.  Panavia Tornadoes do that as well.

It gets complicated in real life, because those pivoting pylons need to adapt to the airflow around the wing at multiple angles.  The ones on the Tornado look like they collapse to stay flush with the underside of the wing as they move.

File0012.jpg

One more reason variable geometry wings have fallen out of favor as a design feature.  They just add far more complexity than they tend to be worth, once you factor in maintenance and design compromises.

Just now, Chronocidal said:

One more reason variable geometry wings have fallen out of favor as a design feature.  They just add far more complexity than they tend to be worth, once you factor in maintenance and design compromises.

Yes, Variable-sweep implementation is maintenance-intensive... on the other hand what other US fighter of the day could do this:

also on the topic of F-15 v F-14: YES, the Tomcat can gun-down the eagle.

Anytime, Baby!

Related image

Edited by slide

4 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

The ordnance pylons are all interlinked to keep them pointed forward, yep.  Panavia Tornadoes do that as well.

It gets complicated in real life, because those pivoting pylons need to adapt to the airflow around the wing at multiple angles.  The ones on the Tornado look like they collapse to stay flush with the underside of the wing as they move.

File0012.jpg

Thanks for the info! As a huge fan of the F-14, I never really thought about it and just figured that was a big part of why all of the pylons are between the wings instead of on them. This whole time, I just figured the missiles on VF-1 wings were just anime magic and never thought about other real aircraft with variable wings with weapons mounted on them. I think I just assumed they only work with the wings fully extended. 

Glad to learn something new! Thanks again!