Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

1 hour ago, Duymon said:

I really hope they just stick to TV valks too. DYRL valks are so boring now

Even if I really love to have a DX DYRL VF-1S, I somehow agree. I don’t mind owning some DX Macross The First Valks. ^_^ 

8 hours ago, davidwhangchoi said:

it was weird where the dyrl hikaru 1a release was in the hmr line... it felt due to the timing,  was largely overlooked except for completionists.  

AND the QC checkers...:D

10 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Ok. So Bandai have the rights on making Macross Delta Valkyries. And Bandai already made the VF-1J in DX form. What are the chances for these two to get made?

bUGo4wm.gif 

:wub: 

I'd want them in 1/60 (or the Delta equivalent of 1/60 since they're technically non-scale).

35 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

I like the look of those more than Max/Milia's VF-1Js.

Same here. As a Valkyrie couple, I prefer this design compared to M&M's. :rolleyes:

25 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

I'd want them in 1/60 (or the Delta equivalent of 1/60 since they're technically non-scale).

Same here too since I really need to stop the 1/48 size with just Hikaru Valks. ^_^ 

5 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Ok. So Bandai have the rights on making Macross Delta Valkyries. And Bandai already made the VF-1J in DX form. What are the chances for these two to get made?

Not sure on the chances, but I would prefer them in 1/60 scale, so that it scales with messers DX valk. And if bandai can figure out how to add the blue paint splatter as a gimmick would be awesome!

3 hours ago, Convectuoso said:

Has anyone tried the 1/48 Hasegawa missiles on the DX? 

There's really nothing to "try" there, you'll have to heavily modify the pylons to work.  They're shaped like actual ordnance mounts, with large flat plates that would bolt under the wings, and they're meant to be glued in place.

11MHA26_Macross-Robotech-VF-1-Valkyrie-W

On the other hand, if you made some custom pylons, it shouldn't be hard to mount the Hasegawa missiles on them.  Shapeways is nice for making fully formed shapes, but you could almost just cut pylons out of some thick styrene sheet, and stick the missiles on them.

What I do love about the Hasegawa set is that they treat the weapons mounts like actual pylons, which is something that Bandai generally doesn't even attempt.  The pylons are modular, and you can tell the dual RMS mounts are built out of the same pylon used for a single mount, but with a dual adapter bolted underneath.

Technically speaking though... the RMS mounts don't make sense, and wouldn't have mounting lugs in more than one location.  For the markings to remain oriented sideways, they'd need a dual mount that attaches on top, which is what most VF-1 weapons sets seem to use.  They would probably mount on something either with a flat side-by-side mount like these.

kahdah525252.jpg?quality=85

Strictly speaking, anything used in space would probably be primarily rail-launched, but I think the RMS missiles in more recent material are shown ejecting a short distance, and then thrusting forward.  I forget if that was ever shown in DYRL, but I'm pretty sure that's how Frontier treated them.  For clearance purposes, the top-mounted RMS pylons make more sense for them to eject downward, rather than sideways.

I'll be interested to see how the sizes and positions of the Bandai missiles compare with the Yamato ones.  The concept art/renders seemed to use slightly wider spacing, which should help avoid the triple clusters looking quite so crowded with the wings partially swept.

Edited by Chronocidal

9 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

bUGo4wm.gif 

:wub: 

I think we’ll see those in HMR long before we see them in DX, especially since we’ve already seen HMR prototypes. 

And I’m with @Lolicon — I want a TV Roy to be the next DX release.

5 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

There's really nothing to "try" there, you'll have to heavily modify the pylons to work.  They're shaped like actual ordnance mounts, with large flat plates that would bolt under the wings, and they're meant to be glued in place.

11MHA26_Macross-Robotech-VF-1-Valkyrie-W

On the other hand, if you made some custom pylons, it shouldn't be hard to mount the Hasegawa missiles on them.  Shapeways is nice for making fully formed shapes, but you could almost just cut pylons out of some thick styrene sheet, and stick the missiles on them.

What I do love about the Hasegawa set is that they treat the weapons mounts like actual pylons, which is something that Bandai generally doesn't even attempt.  The pylons are modular, and you can tell the dual RMS mounts are built out of the same pylon used for a single mount, but with a dual adapter bolted underneath.

Technically speaking though... the RMS mounts don't make sense, and wouldn't have mounting lugs in more than one location.  For the markings to remain oriented sideways, they'd need a dual mount that attaches on top, which is what most VF-1 weapons sets seem to use.  They would probably mount on something either with a flat side-by-side mount like these.

kahdah525252.jpg?quality=85

Strictly speaking, anything used in space would probably be primarily rail-launched, but I think the RMS missiles in more recent material are shown ejecting a short distance, and then thrusting forward.  I forget if that was ever shown in DYRL, but I'm pretty sure that's how Frontier treated them.  For clearance purposes, the top-mounted RMS pylons make more sense for them to eject downward, rather than sideways.

I'll be interested to see how the sizes and positions of the Bandai missiles compare with the Yamato ones.  The concept art/renders seemed to use slightly wider spacing, which should help avoid the triple clusters looking quite so crowded with the wings partially swept.

I bought a set of the missiles to experiment with, along with some tiny 1.5mm diameter magnets. I concur though, the pylon mounts are totally wrong and will need a lot of modification to work. May be awhile till I make any progress but I'll be sure to post when I do. 

34 minutes ago, mickyg said:

I bought a set of the missiles to experiment with, along with some tiny 1.5mm diameter magnets. I concur though, the pylon mounts are totally wrong and will need a lot of modification to work. May be awhile till I make any progress but I'll be sure to post when I do. 

If you're not averse to modifying the wings instead of the pylon, just cutting out the pylon stubs and mounting the magnets in the wings would probably be the best option.  Then you could replace the mounting plates on the pylons with bits of metal, and they'd probably mount incredibly solidly.

If you could get small enough diameter magnets, you might not even have to modify the wings at all, just insert them into the center of the mounts.

Yeah, I think I actually went way too small on the magnets. But I'm thinking that may work out if I can find plastic tube that will fit the holes in the wings and then stuff the magnets inside those. May work with plastic rod too and then I'd just drill them out. 1.5mm diameter magnets at 2mm long are just itty bitty. 

I'd rather not modify the toy so much that I can't put it back to stock easily, if possible. 

9 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

I want the actual Macross The First's VF-1J instead, Seti. ;) 

It's Hikaru's so I wouldn't mind the 1/48 size. Make that happen, Bandai. :rolleyes:

Image courtesy of Macross Mecha Manual.

I feel your pain noel! :rolleyes: Been waiting for bandai to possibly do some macross the ride valks too since forever :sad:

Don't know what it would take for bandai or anyone for that matter to look into the manga line...unless perhaps if a KO did it first! 

46 minutes ago, seti88 said:

I feel your pain noel! :rolleyes: Been waiting for bandai to possibly do some macross the ride valks too since forever :sad:

Don't know what it would take for bandai or anyone for that matter to look into the manga line...unless perhaps if a KO did it first! 

That too. :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, chyll2 said:

I frequently visit Mandarake. I've never seen VF-1J as available and just now, price crept up to 30,000 Y

Agree.  I was in Nakano and Akihibara a couple weeks ago and did not see any for sale.  Lucky I was able to secure one on PO night.

1 hour ago, Slave IV said:

333993117_Macross_VF-1J_VF-0S_DSCN36651.jpg.bad2cba550337c70d2c1661c7cfba489.jpg

Top two, all time!

Agreed. The Arcadia VF-0S is a beautiful Valk and one of my favorite Valkyrie toys. One of the best made for sure in my book. However the DX VF-1J is, imo, slightly better due to the better/tigher hips and solid feeling/less creaky legs.