Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

6 hours ago, eggy99 said:

Look at those beautifully deep panel lines that Yamato used to do. The Arcadia 1/60 panel lines are so shallow now, they are hardly noticeable from a distance and also harder to ink the panel lines. It's one of the things I prefer on the Bandai molds - more pronounced panel lines. It maybe less realistic, but because it is a scaled model, the deeper panel lines create a much more dynamic look when viewed from further away.

I am not sure which one I like better (yet), the shallow Arcadia or the deep Yamato/Bandai version. But some people can argue that such deep panel line is out of scale. When building a model, these panel lines are a bit too deep. I never have a Macross toy, so I don't really know which one is/looks better (at least for me).

I like Valks.

Never once have I been playing with a Valk and got disappointed by panel line depth.  

Never once have I looked at my Valks on display and thought, "damn, I wish the panel lines were deeper or shallower".

I just think, "damn, these things are sweet!", or "damn, I'm going to go broke because of these things", or "I want more of these things".

Bring on the DX VF-1J!

2 hours ago, Slave IV said:

I like Valks.

Never once have I been playing with a Valk and got disappointed by panel line depth.  

Never once have I looked at my Valks on display and thought, "damn, I wish the panel lines were deeper or shallower".

I just think, "damn, these things are sweet!", or "damn, I'm going to go broke because of these things", or "I want more of these things".

Bring on the DX VF-1J!

I know right? I'm like "damn, it's not like you're going to fly the dang thing." I'm going to buy one 'cause I love the show and I want to display a piece of my childhood. Panels be damned.

6 hours ago, peter said:

I wonder if we're going to see a flood of used Yamato 1/48s in the for sale section or Fleabay as a result of this toy?

I love 1/48 vf!!! That will be awesome to find more, but I doubt it. Some of them have unique paint jobs that bandai will probably not revisit. 

17 minutes ago, Bishop said:

I love 1/48 vf!!! That will be awesome to find more, but I doubt it. Some of them have unique paint jobs that bandai will probably not revisit. 

Haha, I would definitely buy some more at the right price. I doubt Bandai will do all the color schemes Yamato did but either way, I like the Yamato 1:48 design as well. This Bandai release doesn’t change that at all. 

7 hours ago, peter said:

I wonder if we're going to see a flood of used Yamato 1/48s in the for sale section or Fleabay as a result of this toy?

maybe you might even see increase demand of the yamato 1/48 from the new buyers of Bandai's 1/48.

9 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Haha, I would definitely buy some more at the right price. I doubt Bandai will do all the color schemes Yamato did but either way, I like the Yamato 1:48 design as well. This Bandai release doesn’t change that at all. 

I preordered the Bandai 1/48, but my Yamato VF-1A Low Vis LTD Ver will need to be pried from my cold dead hands; low hanging arms aside, the Yamato 1/48 in fighter mode is a thing of beauty, and no other interpretation of the VF-1 quite as striking, including the new DX, at least until I have it in hand to compare.

1 hour ago, mechaninac said:

I preordered the Bandai 1/48, but my Yamato VF-1A Low Vis LTD Ver will need to be pried from my cold dead hands; low hanging arms aside, the Yamato 1/48 in fighter mode is a thing of beauty, and no other interpretation of the VF-1 quite as striking, including the new DX, at least until I have it in hand to compare.

I always found the Yamato 1/48 fighter mode to look too wide when viewed from above. It was the 1 thing that really bugged me about it. The canopy was just too wide.

Chris

The only gripe I had with the 1/48 Yammie was the chicken hands....apart from that, I could pretty much live with everything else.  I have a few 1/48s, but I'd like to get a Roy in 1/48, as well as a Hikaru 1J.

3 hours ago, mechaninac said:

Totally agree! I like the Yamato 1/48 in all three modes. It’s still my favorite VF-1 even though the V2 1/60 is technically better. I will never give up the ones I have including that low vis 1A and again, if the price is right, I’ll still buy more. 

1 hour ago, peter said:

The only gripe I had with the 1/48 Yammie was the chicken hands....apart from that, I could pretty much live with everything else.  I have a few 1/48s, but I'd like to get a Roy in 1/48, as well as a Hikaru 1J.

Yeah, those hands are silly. Need the GBP to beef them up!

2 hours ago, Valkyrie2008 said:

My heart skipped a beat or two when I learned that Yamato stop making the 1/48 scale.

Hopefully Bandai will continue the legacy and give up the much anticipated valks (VF-1D, VE-1, VT-1, and the VF-X)

I just want a Max VF-1A TV (i didnt get the Yamato one) and a Max VF-1D, and yeah, why not, the VT-1 too.  I didnt bother with the 1/60th line at the time, so.... just want to complement my 1/48.

7 hours ago, mechaninac said:

Good to hear, I've got a low Vis VF-1A on the way from YJA, since 1/48 is a thing again.

1 hour ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Good to hear, I've got a low Vis VF-1A on the way from YJA, since 1/48 is a thing again.

I do like the low vis....wish I had two, one for collecting, one for playing with.

PA101578.JPG

PA101605.JPG

PA101628.JPG

PA101667.JPG

PA101664.JPG

Man that brings back memories. I was in college had no money and wanted to start collecting these so bad. This was a grail peice. $600 dollars for this on eBay. (By the time I found out macross had high end collectible 1/48 they were already sold out). I never got into 1/60 to small for my taste and not enough details for me. But 1/48 at the same price as 1/60 and tons of details man I’m all in. If I can get a preorder lol.

1 hour ago, peter said:

I do like the low vis....wish I had two, one for collecting, one for playing with.

PA101578.JPG

PA101605.JPG

PA101628.JPG

PA101667.JPG

PA101664.JPG

A thing of beauty.  I got one back in 2003 when they first came out.  Kicked off my collecting habit which continues to this day.  Graded it with AFA and it got a 90 - after receiving it in the mail direct from Japan in a box that was literally falling apart.  What a gem.  I will always cherish mine.

You all know i’ve been an eternal 1/48 lover. I only have 5 1/60 ver 2, I have never even opened. I might sell 4 of them and keep the 1D. Honestly, I think the head on the 1/60 sits a bit too tall in bot mode. (I still have the very old 1/60 ver 1, but I doubt anyone would buy those today.

i wish someone would create/print 3D 1/48 scale hands that fit in the forearm compartment. So the chicken hands issue is fixed.

Edited by vlenhoff

45 minutes ago, vlenhoff said:

i wish someone would create/print 3D 1/48 scale hands that fit in the forearm compartment. So the chicken hands issue is fixed.

That's the reason I hate 1/48 and love 1/60 V2, no modification is needed and the most complete line to date unless HMR beats it with more VF-1 variants.

We all wanted to know how much further that Bandai will go for this Chogokin line.

On 8/10/2018 at 4:34 AM, Vi-RS said:

That's the reason I hate 1/48 and love 1/60 V2, no modification is needed and the most complete line to date unless HMR beats it with more VF-1 variants.

We all wanted to know how much further that Bandai will go for this Chogokin line.

No modification other than replacing the shoulders, right?

This is the reason i have yet to open any of my V2 1/60. 

1 hour ago, vlenhoff said:

Why would the shoulders need replacing?  I've never had problems with any of mine.

203671667_noproblem.jpg.7c15d91067af3b2faadb75c762a4b3b2.jpg

I've only kept the bulk of mine unopened because I don't have the shelf space to display 'em all...  

I think you've been denying yourself without just cause.

Oh, I am sorry, I had the impression the 1/60 yamato had shoulder hinge problems. As far as i know the earlier versions were more prone to it. I like the 1/60 V2, for the most part, and it is the best representation of all VF-1 so far. The only part i dislike is the tall collar on bot mode. As I dislike the low hanging arms in the 1/48, and the ScaryMovie butler hands.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/DV3KRQCTN/kanzen-henkei-1-60-scale-fighter-variable-hinge?optionId=3675956&li=marketplace

Edited by vlenhoff

10 hours ago, vlenhoff said:

This is the reason i have yet to open any of my V2 1/60. 

It's in the very early production until VT-1 IIRC. I still remember the day Graham was trying to help out the forumers here by distributing those hinges. I think everything after that are fixed, atleast what I have are problem free. Touch wood.

I got The 1/60 V2 Tv Hikaru, Tv Max 1A, tv Kakizake, the 1D, and a newer tv Roy. I’m sure at least the first 4 I listed have the evil shoulder hinges. Either I sell them all, or get shoulder hinges for all 4 of them. I know it was due to the pin being a hair bigger than the inner diameter of the hinge itself. Has anyone done this hinge replacement here? If so, how much of a pita is it? 

Edited by vlenhoff