Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

8 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

The ones who likes LowVis, I presume? :rolleyes:

I guess it's every one's turn to bash the prototypes, right? :lol:

LoL yea. But seeing how the 1/72 kit disintegrated with too complex mechanism implemented on the hip bars, I have little faith in their partial perfect-transformation in the DX...the locking mechanism looks a bit flimsy to hold the presumably high amount of metal contents in the DX.

But I'd assume Bandai view it as an optional gimmick, because TBH, you dont need to remove the metal bar if you don't want to rotate the upper torso.

On 7/24/2018 at 9:45 AM, treatment said:

Hopefully they fix this, too:

flail.jpg.8caba2553df6de7d6acc31779a1205b0.jpg

The old Yammie 1/48 had that issue, I think.   The HMR also had it as well, iirc. 

It's like insecure tabbing or something.

The Yammie/Arcadia 1/60v2 don't have that issue, iirc.

I'm looking at this and not liking how the black panels behind the hands that rotate out in fighter mode look so small compared to the YAMATO 1/48, which I think was more anime-accurate. I can't tell but do they even have the detail like YAMATO's? That's one of the issues I have with the V2 1/60 which scales back on some of the molded details of the 1/48. Even the HMRs top the V2 1/60 with more molded detail. I hope this Bandai 1/48 has better detail under the back end in GERWALK mode which is another letdown of the V2 1/60.

Interesting.... they've printed UN SPACY on both sides of the gunpod for fighter mode.

The legs being offline just seems like Bandai hasn't figured out how to get the limbs on a VF-1 to line up in general.  Never have worked on the HMRs, I guess I shouldn't be surprised they can't get it right in this scale either. <_< 

28 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Interesting.... they've printed UN SPACY on both sides of the gunpod for fighter mode.

Yamato had it printed on both sides too. One side is readable when it's mounted for Fighter mode and one side for Battroid mode when the hand is holding it. Whereas with Bandai's, both of them are properly readable for Fighter mode only.

This is same with Yamato:
38536386_1763231750435465_70475510192694

Yamato has this side in correct reading orientation.
38487575_1763231653768808_33821042481446

On 7/24/2018 at 11:45 AM, treatment said:

Hopefully they fix this, too:

flail.jpg.8caba2553df6de7d6acc31779a1205b0.jpg

The old Yammie 1/48 had that issue, I think.   The HMR also had it as well, iirc. 

It's like insecure tabbing or something.

The Yammie/Arcadia 1/60v2 don't have that issue, iirc.

Wow that looks terrible. Like the VF-2SS. I hope that's just a bad transformation or just a sample issue. Crap like that is why I dislike the HMR VF-1. 

Hey all, I'm new to Macross and stumbled across this figure but unfortunately too late to jump in on the PO. I've always collected mechs (mainly TFs) but always wanted a VF-1J. With that being said, is this figure the best representation currently available? This may sound weird and I'm not sure if i'm the only one who feels this way but a figure having articulated hands/fingers are a big deal to me and this one hits the spot nicely. Hopefully I can snag this one when it releases!

38 minutes ago, F18LEGIOSS said:

*snip*

The perfect transformation: there are no visible holes now on the shoulders now :yahoo:

Yup. It's one thing they copied from Arcadia with their VF-0A/S releases. 

But I wouldn't call it perfect transformation yet since you still have to install the side chest covers though. :rolleyes:

29 minutes ago, Vi-RS said:

I'm sure there's an air brake on this thing judging from the pictures shown so far, but I don't think there is any picture showing the gimmick ever been posted yet.

Looks like there will be. ;)

image.thumb.png.39c5649b97a4cd4721b6e72053ad9f14.png

5 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Looks like there will be. ;)

Yeah, I know the gimmick is there, but what I meant is Bandai has not shown any detail for it yet, I believe.

1 hour ago, chyll2 said:

the leaked pictures shows too big of a panel line for the air brakes, so while it is not featured in the photos, I know that that is a moving airbrake.

Wish we could see the detail underneath the air brake like the Yamato's 1/48 here.

Yamato-148-VF1-27.jpg

Look at those beautifully deep panel lines that Yamato used to do. The Arcadia 1/60 panel lines are so shallow now, they are hardly noticeable from a distance and also harder to ink the panel lines. It's one of the things I prefer on the Bandai molds - more pronounced panel lines. It maybe less realistic, but because it is a scaled model, the deeper panel lines create a much more dynamic look when viewed from further away.

3 hours ago, eggy99 said:

Look at those beautifully deep panel lines that Yamato used to do. The Arcadia 1/60 panel lines are so shallow now, they are hardly noticeable from a distance and also harder to ink the panel lines. It's one of the things I prefer on the Bandai molds - more pronounced panel lines. It maybe less realistic, but because it is a scaled model, the deeper panel lines create a much more dynamic look when viewed from further away.

I completely agree. Arcadia's micro-thin panel lines do a disservice to their products' otherwise exceptional engineering by making the them look plain on the surface, especially when compared to Bandai's offerings. When done right, pronounced panel lines can improve a product's marketability without increasing its cost. I don't know why Arcadia continues to make them less visible.

3 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

The molds are probably worn. Fine detail is among the first things to go.

The molds have to be old for that to happen, and with the newer Arcadia molds, they were never there to begin with.  The panel lines on things like the new VF-0 and YF-19 are so thin, you can barely even get a panel line wash to stay in them.

There's a fine line (eheh.) between having panel lines too deep, or too shallow.  While the lines on things like the old 1/48 and Sv-51 may have been a bit too deep, Arcadia have swung too far the opposite direction.