Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

I'm completely in love with this! I'm actually going to skip on the MB Strike Gundam and DX YF-19 now for 2 to 3 of these. Look out for my sale posts if I can secure enough VF-1Js.

I've never collected VF-1 heroes as it's an expensive slippery slope of getting all the SDFM characters - I did that when I bought many Yamato VF-1 ver1 toys back in the day (sold them all). It's been my policy to only collect the obscure military looking units (like the brownies, Angel Birds and Cavaliers), but I just can't ignore how awesome this Hikki is.

This is the first time I've ever wanted 3 to display in all 3 modes.

I'm assuming this will do very well for Bandai, and a VF-1S will be on the cards in the future, and I'll probably get one VF-1S with the (probably web store exclusive) Super packs to display in fighter mode.

I wonder if they would release the VF-1S Fokker, and then later a VF-1S Hikki with super packs? This would be canon to the TV series and the only difference is the pilot name tampoed on the plane and pilot figure (can we wish for molded pilot figure of Misa with Hikki helmet sitting on Hikki's lap like when he saves her from Alaska base?). :p

In fact it would be awesome if Bandai included a Mars base Misa that you could place in the valk's hands - posed stretching out and call out "RIBER!!!!!" :lol:

28 minutes ago, Geekz said:

Thanks for this Geekz. ;)

img%5D

Ok. So it looks like it inherits the original arm slide mechanism from H-Metal R which I think it's anime-accurate. And the legs still has that T-bar swivel joint. From photo impression, we can see
1.) Lift the legs into Gerwalk position in order to free the arms to slide.
2.) Swing the arm outward.
3.) Pull the T-bar swivel joint of the legs into Battroid position. It's interesting to see that there's another part that swings behind the head in Fighter mode which leads us to
4.) We can see here that grey Y-shape looking swivel joint that somehow touching the back side of the canopy in Battroid mode.
5.) Flipping those chest fillers like the ones that's done by Arcadia on their VF-0's.
6.) T-bar joint still slides in under the canopy like regular VF-1 figures. Yet it's still mind-boggling how that nosecone rotates in Battroid mode. ^_^

39 minutes ago, Geekz said:

Oh wow thats my childhood right there. *Nostalgia trip* Thanks for the post! Like jvm said, might pick this issue up!

11 minutes ago, eggy99 said:

I'm completely in love with this! I'm actually going to skip on the MB Strike Gundam and DX YF-19 now for 2 to 3 of these. Look out for my sale posts if I can secure enough VF-1Js.

As much as i love the VF-1, am on the opposite and gonna hold on to my 19 pre-orders. This 19 dx release is the most complete and bandai will not issue it (as in isamu's ride) as often as the venerable vf-1.

The vf-1 holds a special place in my heart, but the 19 appeals to me much more.

Gah....nostalgia overload....darn this feeling...

btw i hope bandai doesnt issue a whole new grey visor vf-1. Perhaps include a grey visor head to be replaced in the GBP pack?

Also, i didnt realise bandai's old grey visor had grey ear muffs too...:D

Edited by seti88

38 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

T-bar joint still slides in under the canopy like regular VF-1 figures. Yet it's still mind-boggling how that nosecone rotates in Battroid mode. ^_^

I'm guessing there's a pivot in the T-bar, probably the head of the T rotates around the shaft, and they've made it so the shaft is at the rotational axis of the nosecone.

1 hour ago, Vi-RS said:

I like how they look at each other.  Hopefully it's a grayish off white.

Doc1.jpg.363ed45929d8199165e6e612a6c4ecc1.jpg

That's very cool! and wow 36 years between toys! I remember when I got my first VF-1 toy! Was insanity back then and the new toy will be pretty sweet!

hey all, i don't often partake in some of the forum discussions.  love macross and this vf-1j.  only a casual buyer, so i only really buy from hlj, nippon, and ami ami.  anyhow, i know this might be uncool to ask, but how can even go about trying to get a pre-order in on this?  i can't see it anywhere (again hlj, nippon, all the usual suspects).  no call to action on the chogokin page...  https://tamashii.jp/special/macross/vf-1j/

anyhow, any help would be much appreciated.  if not, i get it too.  thanks ahead of time!

Edited by orbitalharvest

ah, got it.  just found it strange that there's no listing at all for some of the retail sites.  unlike the yf-19 that atleast had the listing, and the call to action didn't go live until it was time.  also fyi, a buddy of mine sent a note to hlj.  not sure if they're being coy... but they're acting like they have no idea what's going on and if they're gonna get any...  i'll still be stalking them as well.

happy huntings y'all!

8 minutes ago, orbitalharvest said:

ah, got it.  just found it strange that there's no listing at all for some of the retail sites.  unlike the yf-19 that atleast had the listing, and the call to action didn't go live until it was time.  also fyi, a buddy of mine sent a note to hlj.  not sure if they're being coy... but they're acting like they have no idea what's going on and if they're gonna get any...  i'll still be stalking them as well.

happy huntings y'all!

The only retail sites I know of that list the item before it's open for preorder are amiami and Hobbysearch. They will show the item earlier that day and open the orders at 4 pm (edit: I think HS actually opens a bit earlier sometimes). HLJ has never listed an item before it was open for order as far as I know, including the recent YF-19.

Edited by Slave IV

1 hour ago, Sanity is Optional said:

I'm guessing there's a pivot in the T-bar, probably the head of the T rotates around the shaft, and they've made it so the shaft is at the rotational axis of the nosecone.

3E3283C9-FD03-4FB3-8348-D120C2EE111B.jpeg.09bd4e5d2dacbe8574d815e520ff1bc2.jpeg

Yep.  It looks like it.

10 minutes ago, Actar said:

Fantastic... amiami, in their infinite wisdom, has decided to update their website that didn't need to be updated. Now, I can't log in to my account... 

You scared me so I checked, I could login and I see my one PO still outstanding.

3 minutes ago, jenius said:

You scared me so I checked, I could login and I see my one PO still outstanding.

Fortunately, not everyone is affected. Unfortunately, I'm one of those who are affected... This is particularly problematic because it means I won't be able to secure any preorders until this is fixed. Might have to move to another retailer after 10 years of being a loyal amiami customer.

Edited by Actar