Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

Man, only been waiting, what, 20 years for Bandai to step in and do this right. If it approaches the quality/sturdiness of its other premium products (SOC Voltron, HMR Monster, etc), then it'll justify the two decades of passing over all the other available modern VF-1 toys. If the quality's right, definitely all in for this line. All that money I saved not buying Yammies can finally be put to use. Now bring on the SDF-1!

Edited by gingaio

6 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Fixed....

Hopefully someone can sneak the 1/35th over to some Chinese KO shop to give it some justice....

If it is made then I’d probably buy it.  They could even package it as Space Gundam V.

On 12/3/2017 at 10:54 PM, Graham said:

Honestly, I'm not liking the proportions of the shoulders and chest at all. I far preferred the look of the 1/35 prototype they showed a few years ago.

Agreed. While this is a step up in some ways from the HMR, the 1/35 they were showing off really seemed to nail the design, at least in battroid mode. This seems like a few steps back.  If it helps the fighter mode I might understand, but that chest looks too flat, even for fighter mode it should be more convex.

Looks awesome! :wub:

But looking at it now in clear pic, I can still say that it really looks squarish and blocky which is not a bad thing. Only somehow. Also, I don't see any side covers. Curious to see if there's a 'filler' also on the chest/neck area like what Arcadia did on their VF-0's.

Just now, Killaforevah said:

I was recently told by an engineer that these images are drawings and not CADs. Could someone that knows the difference please comment.

Puts on Mechanical Engineer hat.

CAD means Computer Aided Design, strictly speaking these are CAD Drawings. They may be derived from a 3-dimensional part, but the actual image is of a 2-D "drawing" or schematic, in the style of a blueprint.

Now, from looking at them, I'm inclined to believe that they're actually artwork, rather than simply views of a 3D model.

24 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

CAD means Computer Aided Design, strictly speaking these are CAD Drawings. They may be derived from a 3-dimensional part, but the actual image is of a 2-D "drawing" or schematic, in the style of a blueprint.

Now, from looking at them, I'm inclined to believe that they're actually artwork, rather than simply views of a 3D model.

Thank you for the response. I think that's what my engineer friend had in mind. But in general, is it reasonable to use CAD and CAD drawings interchangeably? Should we start calling all the images for valk designs posted here "drawings" or "CAD drawings", depending on what they are, but not CAD, since we don't have the 3D model?

Edited by Killaforevah
typo

1 minute ago, Killaforevah said:

Thank you for the response. I think that's what my engineer friend had in mind. But in general, is it reasonable to use CAD and CAD drawings interchangeably? Should we start calling all the images for valk designs posted here "drawings" or "CAD drawings", depending on what they are, but not CAD, since we don't have the 3D model?

I see no issue calling them CAD personally, as they are made with a computer. CAD Drawing is more technically correct, but just calling it CAD wouldn't bother me.

Then again, Engineers are by and large hugely pedantic, as the difference between precision and accuracy for instance makes a huge difference from a design perspective.

I still don't understand the logic of releasing a common valk in another scale. I had thought that 1/60 had already become the standard. I know the VF-1 series are the smaller variants, but the Yamcadia 1/60 ver.2 showed that they can put a lot of detail in that scale. At 1/48 or bigger, this better have a removable and poseable pilot ala Diaclone for me to even get interested.

55 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

I actually plan on doing a little comparison this weekend with both the Yamato 1/60 and this drawing.  One way to tell if they're actually views of a 3D model is whether the details consistently line up between views. 

As it is, those look consistent enough to potentially be based off of a prototype model, but I actually want to do a direct comparison.  Also, I see a lot of lines on the model that aren't intended to be molded details, so I can only assume they're seam lines between parts.

Here's the rough and dirty comparison I can do with just MS Paint, but I want to trace the outlines and give a better overlay later.

5a29cc1841801_VF-1Jcompare2.jpg.f0770c993ba4858ec724894102299d3d.jpg5a29cc1aeb8cb_VF-1Jcompare1.jpg.785893ee7ad0f2894c5e6d0d6e32907d.jpg

Really does look like an upscaled Yamato 1/60 for the most part, with a few little changes.  Backpack looks longer, and the nose looks more streamlined, without the canopy bump.  Looks like it has a ton of potential to get even closer to the line art. :) 

Edited by Chronocidal

14 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I actually plan on doing a little comparison this weekend with both the Yamato 1/60 and this drawing.  One way to tell if they're actually views of a 3D model is whether the details consistently line up between views. 

As it is, those look consistent enough to potentially be based off of a prototype model, but I actually want to do a direct comparison.  Also, I see a lot of lines on the model that aren't intended to be molded details, so I can only assume they're seam lines between parts.

Here's the rough and dirty comparison I can do with just MS Paint, but I want to trace the outlines and give a better overlay later.

5a29cc1841801_VF-1Jcompare2.jpg.f0770c993ba4858ec724894102299d3d.jpg5a29cc1aeb8cb_VF-1Jcompare1.jpg.785893ee7ad0f2894c5e6d0d6e32907d.jpg

Really does look like an upscaled Yamato 1/60 for the most part, with a few little changes.  Backpack looks longer, and the nose looks more streamlined, without the canopy bump.  Looks like it has a ton of potential to get even closer to the line art. :) 

Nice analysis, I was thinking it might be based off a model with added detail by hand, or possibly "tracing".

One thing I like better about Bandai’s already: seems to have a longer wing with wider chord. Yamato’s wings were always a bit small, to my eye. 

12 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

11 hours ago, valhary said:

Thanks to Chronocidal I try do the same and although in fighter mode is almost no difference in battroid you can compare the big difference between proportions

Now this is what i call MACROSSWORLD! 

Awesome valk toy technical comparisons!

I like the panel lines and the colors, but agree that the sculpt itself looks a tad too angular and almost harshly blocky.  Glad to see no light up visor gimmick.  The way it looks now is less like a $300 toy (as it did in 2015) and more like a $150-$180 toy.

43 minutes ago, ZorClone said:

more like a $150-$180 toy.

There is no way this is going to come in at that cost when people are buying arcadias at $200+.  Especially at 1/48ish scale.

That said, if the japanese reaction has been similar to our reaction (sort of a "meh"), maybe they will revisit the design (again).

Lol, yeah , meh... 1/35 looked spicy cool, this looks like an older model kit made into a toy. If your gonna make yet another Vf-1j , it better blow Arcadia’s away. I wish Bandai would make a vf-2 or a vf- 5000 dx, and also some dope ass legioss mechs. Their hi metal 2ss sold like hot cakes , that should be proof enough that people want other mechs. God , I would do do disgusting things for a proper dx vf-5000 and some legions dx. But o well , I’m a sucker so I’ll probably end up buying whatever they make anyways.

6 hours ago, mcfly50 said:

Does anyone have a Yamato 1/48 VF-1J to pose for some side by side pics?

To pose side-by-side with? This DX VF-1J is not even out yet. And even the correct scale is not announced yet.

Edited by no3Ljm