Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

18 minutes ago, Toonz said:

well, what do you guys think?

http://tw.weibo.com/5356816619/4180102918713424

24231761_755860581267867_5535393688075758646_n.jpg.7ecb4f4365fc7f86ac0bf7743863a8bb.jpg

What do I think?! I'm selling all my Yamato Vf-1J's now. :lol:

If ever this will become a success, I don't want to restart my VF-1's in DX format. I'll probably just get Hikaru's VF-1J, VF-1A, and VF-1S. ;)

I just realized, that what I said to myself last 2012 when I started collecting Hikaru's Yamato Valkyries. :rolleyes:

Looks interesting, but definitely pre-production.  Gunpod looks huge.  Seems like they are using yamato/arcadia-like arm slots for super parts.

I dunno; can't say it looks wildly better than the 1/60 v2 we have now, but it is really hard to say from one pic.

Edited by HardlyNever

I'm not expecting anyone to be able to make a wildly better looking VF-1 at this point. The 1/48, old 1/55, 1/60, 1/100 HMR and even a few others in between all look good with different strengths to me. My main interest is in new tech and engineering for my favorite transforming design of all time. It would be cool if this one has new transformation aspects, more solid feel and perhaps some more strategic use of metal parts.

Oh man it looks so good!  It's got some stiff competition but I trust Bandai can make it worth owning.  The real test will be how it feels in hand; if it's got a lush finish and robust construction, fun to transform, sturdy joints (ratchets perhaps?), and any new ideas in brings to engineering a transforming VF-1.  Easily my most anticipated Macross toy for the forseeable future.

12 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

I'm not expecting anyone to be able to make a wildly better looking VF-1 at this point. The 1/48, old 1/55, 1/60, 1/100 HMR and even a few others in between all look good with different strengths to me. My main interest is in new tech and engineering for my favorite transforming design of all time. It would be cool if this one has new transformation aspects, more solid feel and perhaps some more strategic use of metal parts.

Very much agreed.

10 minutes ago, eriku said:

Oh man it looks so good!  It's got some stiff competition but I trust Bandai can make it worth owning.  The real test will be how it feels in hand; if it's got a lush finish and robust construction, fun to transform, sturdy joints (ratchets perhaps?), and any new ideas in brings to engineering a transforming VF-1.  Easily my most anticipated Macross toy for the forseeable future.

Also agreed, between this and the YF-19 I'm feeling a bit re-energized about Macross collecting.

The Arcadia Premium releases are cool, but between their high price and the feeling that their standard releases should be 'Premium', if Bandai brings their A game then they'll get all my money.

-b.

Edited by Kanedas Bike
Forgot how to spell Macross

Looks... interesting, I'll say that much.  Chest definitely looks too wide, which isn't going to do it any favors in any mode.  Aside from that, I'm seeing folding leg fins and a possibly removable nosecone for the armor.. hip joints look like a clip that wraps around the back of the nose, similar to the HMR.

Where I get concerned is things like the legs, and that new sideways joint at the thigh.  It looks like it'd be useful, but it also brings to mind how badly Bandai muffed up the leg design in their 1/72 transforming kit, deciding to completely redesign how the knees and thighs worked, and basically making the legs worse in every way.

Still I'll be interested to see what they come up with.  I'm not going to re-buy every VF-1 by a long shot, but I do enjoy seeing the ways different designers interpret the original.

wondering if this VF-1J will be a lone release for this scale? I still have no interest in starting up a new collection in a different scale than 1:60.. though I am curious to how good this will be. I'd still consider buying a one off in a larger scale as a novelty thing and considering the VF-1J is my all time favorite Valkyrie but I was hoping it would be bigger than 1:48.. 

The YF-19 is a definite must have!

Edited by spanner

1 minute ago, spanner said:

wondering if this VF-1J will be a lone release for this scale? I still have no interest in starting up a new collection in a different scale than 1:60.. though I am curious to how good this will be. I'd still consider buying a one off in a larger scale but I was hoping it would be bigger than 1:48.. 

The YF-19 is a definite must have!

This is what I've been wondering.  I might be in for one if it turns out to be the "ultimate" vf-1, but I don't really want to collect in that scale.  The fact that it has arm slots and fold-able leg fins for armor/super parts suggests that it might be designed to be a full line.  Or they just want to leave the option open, and are considering releasing armor parts after release.

I'm interested, but still have a lot of questions.

based on the 19 next to it...this is at least 1/48 as the 19 is a bigger valk...by far.  so this wont replace my 1/60 collection but damn it'd be nice if this were some premium (better than DX and better than current arcadia) offering....sort of like a one off (but we know that won't happen...too easy to retool).  i'd be happy with just this 1J and a 1S or too.  (heck i still have a couple yammy 1/48 because i like the presence and this one has it too).  i do wish we'd get  that super big 1/35 with tons of extra detail vs. this new teaser.  i guess we will see if either will come or just more vaporware.  if i had ot pick i'd pick the bigger 1/35ish vs. this new 1/48ish.  proportions seem better in battroid (and as i said before more detail).

Edited by Mechapilot77

About the same size as a VF-171 maybe? The VF-171 is 25.5CM tall, the same as the Yamato 1/48 VF-1. I'm actually pretty bummed by this announcement. If it were 1/60 I'd be stoked, we'd have an Arcadia replacement. If it were 1/35 we'd have our ultimate VF-1. At 1/48 though it's going to be a compromise between those two things. 

Bandai-DX-171-Nightmare-Plus-11.jpg

Edited by jenius

16 minutes ago, valhary said:

I still thinking is 1/60 because for the stand seems to be compatible with the DX macross stuff and not have a lot of sense change the size because thinking like Bandai I want all the fans replace their other brands valks for mine

It's fine to think that but whatever the case, the figure shown looks bigger than 1/60 based on the stand and the 19 next to it.

35 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

It's fine to think that but whatever the case, the figure shown looks bigger than 1/60 based on the stand and the 19 next to it.

Yeah I think folks forget how small the vf-1 is compared to the newer valks. A 1/60 vf-1 is quite small compared to a 1/60 yf-19. The 1/48’s vf-1’s are about the same size as newer birds in 1/60 scale. 

Don't like the shoulders, too big compared to the biceps, and the chest stripe is too thin. But I like it in general. We need more pics to scrutinize this VF.

Damn, the shoulders are too big.

I prefer the shape of the 1/35. But this VF looks promising.