Awesome 3D Printed Snap Tite SDF-1 1:1200 scale

Knight26

The original maker got back to me on how much filament to expect to use.

gwizdavid - in reply to spiralwar
6 minutes ago
Thanks!
It's really hard to say about how much. There was a lot of filament used at the beginning to get the snap down plus other miscellaneous screw ups. I know you'll need mostly white and blue - maybe a roll and a half for each color. The gray, red and yellow are no more than half for each color. If you were just printing in one color and painting then I'd say about 5 rolls.

SO, yeah my earlier estimate was about correct, 5kg or so at this scale.

The original maker got back to me on how much filament to expect to use.

gwizdavid - in reply to spiralwar
6 minutes ago
Thanks!
It's really hard to say about how much. There was a lot of filament used at the beginning to get the snap down plus other miscellaneous screw ups. I know you'll need mostly white and blue - maybe a roll and a half for each color. The gray, red and yellow are no more than half for each color. If you were just printing in one color and painting then I'd say about 5 rolls.

SO, yeah my earlier estimate was about correct, 5kg or so at this scale.  Assuming $20 average per roll, you are looking at $100 worth of materials.  But figure on actually needing 7 rolls of filament, so $140.  Still better than that HG Speaker version.

On 11/23/2017 at 2:22 AM, Knight26 said:

Assuming $20 average per roll, you are looking at $100 worth of materials.  But figure on actually needing 7 rolls of filament, so $140.  Still better than that HG Speaker version.

Hell, you could buy your own 3D printer to make it on, and STILL save nearly a thousand dollars!

Hmm...

I guess it's time to buy a 3D printer.  :huh:

I’m new to the whole 3D printing thing. Those of you that said you’d print one are you saying you have your own printer or is there a service you can take the files to? I’ve noticed a lot of print files for sale lately and wondered if they could be taken somewhere for printing.

Chris

Through thingiverse you can ask someone else to print it, and negotiate a deal.  Right now CR-10 printers (HICTOP) are on sale on amazon prime, for a great deal.  I picked one up to replace my ANet A8 that I am going to rebuild.  I will print this starting in the spring for my boys to build.

• 1 month later...

Just in general, I would never make that big of a piece in a single print.  Too many ways for it to go wrong mid-way through, and require a restart.

There are many better ways that could be made into smaller chunks to print quickly.  I tend to think of parts breakdowns like save points in an RPG.  Imagine trying to 100% complete something like Final Fantasy X in one sitting, without saving.  That's what printing a huge model all at once feels like to me. :lol: 

2 hours ago, Knight26 said:

Nice, what is printing setup?  Printer, filament, slicer?

Thanks. This is on my Wanhao i3 plus, makerbot PLA 1.75, and slicing with Cura. Can’t wait to get this done! The parts snap tight and secure. The designer did an awesome job with the fitment!

On 1/18/2018 at 12:09 PM, LSWONE said:

More progress on one of the legs. Pain to remove the support material on some of the parts. 

E2F50C89-DA32-4069-9065-8EE3B7B988FC.jpeg

looks like you need to play with the airgap a bit on the supports then if you're having to much issue. Also heat settings. I can see that white area bubbling....that always happened to me if the part is on there for a long period of time and the bed is to hot. God I wanna work on this.

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to take a crack at adding moving parts. I would rather this be in robot mode and not ship mode. Teaching myself how to rework the parts. I split the parts that become the shoulder cannons so the ends can rotate. I’m sure we have some CAD guys here that can do much better. 

F5848382-8225-4244-810A-0045E4A64C9A.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...