Consolidated Megazone 23 Toy/Model Thread for 2017-2018

RavenHawk

On 2/15/2023 at 1:06 PM, Bobby said:

The 3 for sale in that listing are the two bikes on the right (Transporter not shown ... pics pulled from earlier in the thread)

imizu_hiroshi.jpg

For size comparison, here's pics of the Garland with some others (Imizu's kits come colored w/some pre-painted resin parts) ...

imizu_garland.jpg

And daBlah featured his Hargun kit earlier as well...

-onwfeq.jpg

20211119_235909-01.jpeg

20211114_143222-01.jpeg

Thank you for finding and sharing these! These are great.

• 1 month later...

Great find!!

Very interesting design of that top down view of the bike ... it's got an Akira reclined seating position.

aic-r_garland_bike_mode.jpg

Transformation-wise it seems somewhat reminiscent of a Garland that R-Area created for MOTO Comics back in 5/2019. The transformation is swapped meaning the arms don't tuck under the main body/fuel tank, instead they become the rear saddlebags, and the legs instead of being on the sides of the rear wheel fold in under the entire fairing/fuel tank/seat...

r-area_garland_mz23.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2023 at 12:31 AM, Bobby said:

Great find!!

Very interesting design of that top down view of the bike ... it's got an Akira reclined seating position.

aic-r_garland_bike_mode.jpg

Transformation-wise it seems somewhat reminiscent of a Garland that R-Area created for MOTO Comics back in 5/2019. The transformation is swapped meaning the arms don't tuck under the main body/fuel tank, instead they become the rear saddlebags, and the legs instead of being on the sides of the rear wheel fold in under the entire fairing/fuel tank/seat...

r-area_garland_mz23.jpg

This looks like that Festival Times stuff from a few years back, where some fans were trying to get an update off the ground and had about a dozen fun variations on the design in there. I don't think anything came of it, and I haven't had luck finding copies of those 2 or 3 issues anywhere short of really ridiculous prices.

This also looks like they combined it with the Travertson V-Rex.

v-rex-travertson-3_giaoduc.net.vn.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This set of three 1/48 kits by Imizu-san still haven't sold since Feb. When Arcadia releases their Hargun w/Transporter I have a feeling the demand for these will cool down. Anyway, just a quick example on how much you can save with proxy buying/shipping: buy this set on Japan Mercari [LINK] for ¥66,600 shipped incl. tax ($472USD) + proxy fees + shipping to the US ... or ... buy it direct [LINK] via ebay for $986 + $20 ship + fees.

megazone_3-set.jpg

On 6/17/2023 at 2:24 PM, Bobby said:

This set of three 1/48 kits by Imizu-san still haven't sold since Feb. When Arcadia releases their Hargun w/Transporter I have a feeling the demand for these will cool down. Anyway, just a quick example on how much you can save with proxy buying/shipping: buy this set on Japan Mercari [LINK] for ¥66,600 shipped incl. tax ($472USD) + proxy fees + shipping to the US ... or ... buy it direct [LINK] via ebay for $986 + $20 ship + fees.

megazone_3-set.jpg

Just can't justify it at that scale and material... but wow.

10 hours ago, RavenHawk said:

Just can't justify it at that scale and material... but wow.

The scale and material don’t bug me as much as price. I really wish I could afford that set, so I’m just gonna hope that moderoid does more than just a garland kit

7 hours ago, Big s said:

The scale and material don’t bug me as much as price. I really wish I could afford that set, so I’m just gonna hope that moderoid does more than just a garland kit

At least with what he's produced could we say it's one of the most complete lines of Megazone23 mecha that's been produced. I've each of them here and await his attempt at the E=X Garland in that scale.

39 minutes ago, daBlah! said:

At least with what he's produced could we say it's one of the most complete lines of Megazone23 mecha that's been produced. I've each of them here and await his attempt at the E=X Garland in that scale.

Have you completed them? I would love to see some detailed pictures 

On 5/30/2023 at 10:40 PM, MKT said:

Replying a bit late, but I got mine back when they originally released. For a long, long time, it was my Megazone 23 grail, and I remain quite pleased with it. It's a bit lamentable that the pilot figs for this new generation of MZ23 toys are truncated to fit in the Slave mode, but the toy is pretty well executed in all other regards in my humble estimation. Granted, I've not handled it much since I bought it- It primarily functions, as do the majority of my crazy expensive transforming toys, as a pricey but beautiful dust collector. But I have transformed it, and nothing broke. As I recall, the old Yammies were prone to shoulder breakage, but AFAIK, the Arcadia's have improved in that area. Both of mine's arms are still attached, and hopefully will remain so.

5 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

It primarily functions, as do the majority of my crazy expensive transforming toys, as a pricey but beautiful dust collector

I like the way you put it haha.. It's great these Arcadia releases are such top quality. But ironically, the more well made any toys are, the more reluctant I am to handle them and I've been wondering if anyone else feels the same. There's sort of a mental resistance being afraid to foul up anything even though their build has been proven to be robust and Arcadia's Garlands are firmly in this territory.

Glad that Arcadia have sold the Garlands and Proto-Garlands pretty well, for them to now do a 3rd issue for both.

37 minutes ago, MKT said:

I like the way you put it haha.. It's great these Arcadia releases are such top quality. But ironically, the more well made any toys are, the more reluctant I am to handle them and I've been wondering if anyone else feels the same. There's sort of a mental resistance being afraid to foul up anything even though their build has been proven to be robust and Arcadia's Garlands are firmly in this territory.

Glad that Arcadia have sold the Garlands and Proto-Garlands pretty well, for them to now do a 3rd issue for both.

I get what you’re saying about handling theses. I’m less likely to handle the expensive toy than I would be to handle a fully painted less expensive model kit. It’s just weird to think of leaving the toy alone while playing around with a model

It's funny how these vary. I have quite a few variable bikes that are only for display purposes, and I buy them as a completist. However, I really do love transforming and playing with the ones that can handle it.

Yammies for MZ23, I avoid handling at all costs, and just look at affectionately.

The Arcadia Garlands, on the other hand, I like to have one for display, and one for actually playing with and enjoying the engineering.

The funny thing is that, as crappy as the durability is on the Yamato Garlands, the Yamato Motoslaves are one of my absolute favorite toys to transform and play with (right up there with a couple Transformers and Toyworld products).

Hi all,

So, it looks like I, yet again, missed a bunch of the preorders for the Proto Garland (in fairness, somehow I missed the first release entirely).

BBTS, my usual go-to (they've given me great customer service in the past) is charging what I think is an excessive amount.

AmiAmi seems to still have it, but the couple of times I've ordered from them, I feel like the shipping fees were pretty high (it's been a while, so I might be misremembering).

PlayAsia (play-asia) has it, but I've never dealt with them.

HobbySearch (www.1999.co.jp) has what seems like good pricing (and another item I might get at the same time), but I've never ordered from them. It's a name I've seen a lot and know, but just have no experience with them. Any issues? How are their shipping prices?

If anyone can chime in on their advice and experiences, I'd appreciate it.

4 hours ago, RavenHawk said:

Hi all,

So, it looks like I, yet again, missed a bunch of the preorders for the Proto Garland (in fairness, somehow I missed the first release entirely).

BBTS, my usual go-to (they've given me great customer service in the past) is charging what I think is an excessive amount.

AmiAmi seems to still have it, but the couple of times I've ordered from them, I feel like the shipping fees were pretty high (it's been a while, so I might be misremembering).

PlayAsia (play-asia) has it, but I've never dealt with them.

HobbySearch (www.1999.co.jp) has what seems like good pricing (and another item I might get at the same time), but I've never ordered from them. It's a name I've seen a lot and know, but just have no experience with them. Any issues? How are their shipping prices?

If anyone can chime in on their advice and experiences, I'd appreciate it.

Hobby-Search is the mythical unicorn for Macross POs, because I think no one on these boards have managed to land a PO with them for years. But they are as legit as HLJ & Amiami, in being a 1st-tier store in most people's mental lists. I have ordered stuff from them over the years, they have great shipping rates & they pack well. No idea on their customer service though, as I have not had any situation where I needed to raise any issues with them.

You could also try Hobby-Genki, which have pretty good prices for this item:
https://hobby-genki.com/en/macross/18254-proto-garland-megazone-23-part-ii-124-diecast-model-4582482821367.html

For Hobby-Genki POs, you are supposed to make full payment for the item one month before release date. However, they look like a small outfit with limited manpower, so they do not always follow through their own stated policies. In my small handful of orders with them so far, sometimes they only start asking for payment 1 or 2 weeks after item have been released, but there have also been times they send the appropriate payment requests 1 month before. For their POs, always specify 'private warehouse' option, so they will charge the appropriate shipping rate after item release. Do not specify for shipping upfront, as their shipping estimates can be rather wild for an unreleased item, and I am not sure if they will actually refund you later during actual shipping if you have overpaid during PO. 

However, general shipping rates have gone up drastically in the past couple of years. Amiami's shipping can sometimes be higher than HLJ or Hobby Search, but in my experience its always only about 10% at most, so if Amiami seems excessive, chances are it won't be much different at the other stores. 

4 hours ago, RavenHawk said:

I’ve never had any issues with them other than in one of my front missions sets, they forgot to send the bonus item, but they realized the mistake before the main package even got to me and sent the bonus parts in a small box for free. Preorders can be tough for Bandai products, but otherwise pretty easy.

It's looking good. I believe they said the design model data was ready in 2019.

Hargan Release.... Transporter (possibly depending on Hargan sales I believe Mr.K indicated)... would it be too much of a stretch to cross our fingers for a GR-2 Garland then?