I have been working on the Cheyenne II (Frontier and Delta) and it is complete minus the "missile launcher pods". The Cheyenne II have been greatly improved over the first version Cheyenne that was in service during Macross Zero.

The Cheyenne II has a nuclear motor, reworked shoulder, bigger rotating guns, equipped with a removable large canon attached down the hands. It also can also be equipped with missile launcher on top of its shoulder, the leg design has been modernized to move more on the wheels than walking.

The good part for this project is that the Cheyenne II has most of its articulations the same as my previous project the Workroid, so I could concentrate only on the lines. The Work Destroid and the Cheyenne I will be the next ones and I also plan to make a few upgrades on my current version of the Workroid.

Enjoy!

04U_global001.png

04U_global005_over.png

04Q_V2_head.jpg

04Q_V2_head02.jpg

Edited by Xigfrid

Thanks guys !

@Sanity is Optional All the parts for the Cheyenne II are ready to be printed, that means that they are 1mm thickness safe. I also already made the sprued version and uploaded to Shapeways.

I am missing the missile launchers, the ones on the shoulders,  I want to make them compatible with the Cheyenne I, "Missile launchers only, without the rotary cannon" as shown below (picture extracted from Macross Zero). I need to make sure that both attachments on the Cheyenne II and the Cheyenne I will be compatible.

FullSizeRender.jpg.29b2080651744d5f7c1a4d4b9574128a.jpg

There is a promo on Monday till next Monday: free shipping for owners so probably the order will be placed by then ;)

Holy Crow! I'm assuming 1/60 scale for this as well? It's funny that I came across this today, because I'm re watching Frontier, and thought, I really want a Cheyenne Destroid, I could design one! But you beat me to the punch, also I've got no skill with drafting software. Man I wish I had the kind of talents y'all do. 

Really neat work, as always. Some questions:

- Scale?

- Where/when are those variants seen? From left to right, I'm assuming... Frontier (show), Frontier (show), Delta, Delta workroid, and... different  Delta workroid?

- How easy would this be to convert to a Zero-era Cheyenne? I want to say I've asked you this before during the workroid WIP, but I don't remember doing so...

Either way, keep up the always fantastic work.

I edited the info. In for all of these in 1/60. One extra bit is that the line art for the zero cheyenne's shoulders don't have what looks like 6 missiles ports on the shoulder but the other image has it. Also, that newly found frontier one looks like a hybrid zero/frontier.

Edited by wmkjr

@wmkjr is 100% right. I can add that the 3rd one is seen in Frontier only equipped with the missile pods, but in Delta it is seen with and without it. 

They are all made and tested for 1:60, but the Cheyennes (all except the Workroid) have been built to be able to be scaled down to 1:72 -with minor fixes-

15 hours ago, Spitfire_BR said:

wow, amazing ! Could please put here the link to Shapeways ? I wanna buy it - but in 1/72 !

Thanks! There is no link yet for the Cheyenne II since I am waiting for the first copy to validate the design. Concerning the 1:72 scale, I am thinking of making a resin kit if there is enough demand, otherwise I could put it for sale in shapeways too. Keep tuned.

Just now, Xigfrid said:

Thanks! There is no link yet for the Cheyenne II since I am waiting for the first copy to validate the design. Concerning the 1:72 scale, I am thinking of making a resin kit if there is enough demand, otherwise I could put it for sale in shapeways too. Keep tuned.

:bigshok: said my wallet...

Your ghost kits were great, please make a 1/72 kit of this... I'm already drooling waiting for your 1/72 MTR VF-1 mods to be completed...

8 hours ago, Xigfrid said:

Hey, I was wondering: Do you happen to know or otherwise have any insight into how one method costs compared to the other? Like would it cost relatively the same to 3D print a set of parts (either yourself or through Shapeways) as to cast resin kits?

Last time I had this discussion, the group I was in determined that the costs of materials/production/etc. still favored resin casting over printing, but I think that was well over five years ago that that conversation took place.

Well what I know is that for both methods, you need to print a cheap copy to validate the design: that would be the WSF copy. 

Then if you want to make a resin kit, you can sand and work the WSF copy to make it a master that would be used to make a mold of 20 resin kits. By doing 20 kits, the cost of each individual kit is equivalent to 1/2 to 1/3rd  of one WSF copy (silicon cost for molds and resin for 20 copies). Considering that the master cost at least 2 to 2,5 the price of one WSF copy to manufacture, when you start a project, you start with a budget of 9 to 13 WSF price.

Thats the initial cost of course, I didn't take into account the time for manufacturing, cleaning, preparing the resin parts.

So, from the manufacturer point of view, it is worth making a resin project once you got 13 sold kits.

BUT... resin is resin, it is beautiful to work with it like clay, but it doesn't have the strength of plastic, and 3D printing is like magic when it comes to geometry. I can design 1 complex printed part with inner mechanisms that would need to be exploded in 2 to 3 resin parts and needing 2 additional screws. That's why a few of my projects will always available as 3D printed only.

I am very happy tonight because I could assemble the Cheyenne II. All the parts were good and because it is very similar to the Workroid, the assembly was pretty straight forward. Having it in hands makes all the difference, you can feel that the Cheyenne II is massive compared to a variable fighter / battroid.

Stop talking and enjoy the built!

IMG_5381.JPG

IMG_5390.JPG

IMG_5399b.jpg

IMG_5406.JPG

IMG_5411.JPG

IMG_5416.JPG

IMG_5424.JPG

IMG_5428.JPG

IMG_5430.JPG

18 hours ago, MechTech said:

That looks great Xigfrid! It will be nice to see it assembled whole. - MT

That would be awesome to have all 5 destroids side by side, but that's out of my budget tight now ;)

I have completed the Cheyenne II alternative rotary gun, the one "without the hand", since this model doesn't use the lower gun, this is a cheaper option to the standard fully armed Cheyenne II. Also I wasn't 100% happy with the head design, I made a new one more anime accurate, please comment.

5a37e7e8252e6_headv2.jpg.77bc6d0fbcf641e56efb0d414031b324.jpg5a37e7e732133_CHEY2_headandrotary.jpg.4f81d7d7cb7f56260c9caf7db23eabdf.jpg

I have finished 3D modeling the "Cheyenne 1" and the "Work Destroid" (red one) now.

I am still working on the Cheyenne II missile launcher and the version2 of the Macross Delta Workroid