Since they said the series will precede LotR, but made no mention of The Hobbit, I assume it's going to fill in the 60 year gap between the two stories. The problem with that is that there isn't enough action in there for multiple TV seasons. Sure, there's the (temporary) retaking of Moria, but outside of that, there's no epic battles, which is what people will want to see. The show's writers are going to have their hands full trying to turn minor skirmishes into huge battles.

When I first heard of these rumors last week, I was hoping that Amazon would make a TV series out of The Silmarillion. That book is teeming with wars, lust, tragedy, political intrigue, betrayal, dragons (yes, plural), balrogs (again, plural), and catastrophes. It's an epic that could go toe-to-toe with Game of Thrones, which is what Amazon wants. Alas.

Alright!  Weekly sessions of watching people walking and talking forever while making weird faces into the camera in slow motion footage is something I truly look forward to!

9 hours ago, TheLoneWolf said:

Since they said the series will precede LotR, but made no mention of The Hobbit, I assume it's going to fill in the 60 year gap between the two stories. The problem with that is that there isn't enough action in there for multiple TV seasons. Sure, there's the (temporary) retaking of Moria, but outside of that, there's no epic battles, which is what people will want to see. The show's writers are going to have their hands full trying to turn minor skirmishes into huge battles.

When I first heard of these rumors last week, I was hoping that Amazon would make a TV series out of The Silmarillion. That book is teeming with wars, lust, tragedy, political intrigue, betrayal, dragons (yes, plural), balrogs (again, plural), and catastrophes. It's an epic that could go toe-to-toe with Game of Thrones, which is what Amazon wants. Alas.

Pretty sure I read in another article that this series precedes the Hobbit as well....since this series is being done wirh the apparent blessings of the Tolkien Estate....and it is being sold as a prequel....pretty sure it will be relying on content from The Silmarillion.

I hope the showrunners are able to capture the feel of Peter Jackson's LOTR.....I am thinking that is the target audience's expectation...

Another big question is where will it be filmed? If they want to retain the Peter Jackson look the series must be filmed in New Zealand with WETA doing the effects. I visited the WETA Cave in Wellington, NZ back in April 2011. It was small but very cool though it's probably grown since. Here is a couple of photos we took inside.

XmvIY4X.jpg

gEQQw5v.jpg

While I realize that, I would think that Amazon would take advantage of the post Game of Thrones audiences and tap into something that hasn't been touched before. Regardless of what people think about Tolkien's adaptations, they've been done before, and I for one am tired or re-visiting the same old material. They were headed in the right direction with Man in the High Castle (in regards to new IP's to explore), but have been regressing lately. I wold personally rather see Sanderson's or even Goodkind's works turned into a series, rather than ANOTHER Tolkien story. Tolkien is like the Rolex of watches or Ferrari of cars. Yeah, they have name recognition, but there are better out there. Falling back on Tolkien show little imagination and shortsightedness, and tells me that they want to exploit the already built in audience to maximize profits. 

Thank god Netflix is doing The Witcher. 

On 11/14/2017 at 8:58 AM, jvmacross said:

Pretty sure I read in another article that this series precedes the Hobbit as well....since this series is being done wirh the apparent blessings of the Tolkien Estate....and it is being sold as a prequel....pretty sure it will be relying on content from The Silmarillion.

If that ends up being true, this series is going to be a must-watch. :D

Count me in as very interested to see where this goes. I'm a huge fan of the books (though never finished Silmarillion), a big fan of the LOTR movie trilogy, and somewhat a fan of the Hobbit movie trilogy. My concern would be how much liberty they take in relation to source material. If they invent stories that are Tolkien-esque but aren't as faithful to his actual writings, I'll lose interest pretty quickly.

Lord I hope not. 

Why couldn’t they have done Dragonlance?

If Tolkien is the Rolex and Ferrari of fantasy fiction, well, those are two excellent brands to be associated with. Are there better watches? Yeah, but Rolex is still truly excellent. Are there better cars? Umf... nnnno. 

• 3 years later...
  • 5 months later...

Boobies and weinies.. of what do you speak? 😆

If this is well done, it will be quite interesting to see the events, some of which we know, unfold. Concerning tje rings of power.

Too bad we have to wait until September! 😑

51 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Boobies and weinies.. of what do you speak? 😆

If this is well done, it will be quite interesting to see the events, some of which we know, unfold. Concerning tje rings of power.

Too bad we have to wait until September! 😑

Boobies and weinies... Giggity. 

^^^ Those are mentioned because early reports was for this series to essentially be a LOTR meets GoT type show. So yeah, lots of blood, swearing & boobies, etc. 

I hope those ideas were scrapped to be honest, I just want an adventure with a good story. If I want to see people banging it out, there's the entire internet for that. 

15 minutes ago, 505thAirborne said:

^^^ Those are mentioned because early reports was for this series to essentially be a LOTR meets GoT type show. So yeah, lots of blood, swearing & boobies, etc. 

I hope those ideas were scrapped to be honest, I just want an adventure with a good story. If I want to see people banging it out, there's the entire internet for that. 

You and me both!😀

• azrael changed the title to Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power, TV series on Amazon Prime TV, Sept 2,2022
6 hours ago, Knight26 said:

Apparently that intro was largely done in camera using practical effects.

As much as I appreciate the effort, I can't help the feeling that The Crown did it better.

Major props for Elastic Studio for fading into obscurity at the end instead of a predictable full reveal.

11 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

Truth!

Trying to mimic GOT would be horrible. I was so glad the Witcher didn't bother with that . I think it needs to follow the look and feel of the films as @TangledThorns said. The problem is when these writers and producers try to one up or out do previous works in a genre. Ya I'm looking at you SW ! They lose their way and pat themselves on the back for it. All we really need is additional content and good story telling  without loosing the plot..

No pun intended 😅

Edited by Bolt