Yeah.

Lots of important and significant stuff from the books remain either unmentioned, glossed over, and/or plain ignored and re-imagined.

These should have been apparent in the first few minutes of ep1.

Really gotta turn off your inner Tolkien nerd.

Just try to enjoy this series as part and parcel of the re-imaginings established by the Jackson films.

My problems with the show aren’t really with the changes in the adaptation. Whenever something like a book gets an adaptation I expect changes. It also helps that I’m in my mid fourties and haven’t read any of this stuff since junior high early high school, so The details have faded into myth and legend. Basically I don’t count myself as an expert to tell someone that this isn’t how things were supposed to be.

It’s more story and character problems for me. The cg isn’t as bad as some are saying elsewhere for a series, but definitely could be better. The acting is ok, just the writing is a bit off especially in the first episode. The story is a bit muddy as well and the writers aren’t the best at explaining things that had happened in the past as a set up for the show. I know that’s history of thousands of years, but the basics that have to do with the motivations for the characters and why Galadriel hates the people that help her other than the fact that they sunk a paper boat thousands of years in the past and a relative was killed off screen 

There is some good in the show and that never comes about in the first episode. The good and interesting isn’t until episode 2 and there’s still bad writing and annoying characters. It’s really hard to like a show where the main character is this unlikeable. I do still have hope for the show, but being so close to giving up on the first episode I’m worried it could just end up a dumpster fire.

There are ways this show could really turn around and be great or follow the same path and be forgettable or it could just go even worse and only be remembered as terrible.

Keep in mind that this is a compressed time-frame. Events that happened hundreds of years apart in the written work are being brought very close time-wise in this series. And also, it's an adaptation. I'm past the point where I expect stories brought to screen are going to be exact copies. For whatever reason they went for alterations. I'm not saying this is good or bad. Personally, I'm liking this take on Galadrial. 

My way of thinking is that it is three thousand years between TRoP and LoTR, and the people, even elves, change over time. To be static is boring. If this was the exact same character as Blanchet's, after three thousand years, then I'm thinking, "well, there is no growth at all. She must have sprung this way straight from the womb." So I have no problem seeing a more hot-headed, violence minded Galadrial bent on revenge. I like her.

Although, conversely, leaving her static and without growth moving through the series would also be boring, and a mistake. The point is to have the character grow into the one we see in Jackson's LoTR, as part of an overall arc for the character. Right now., she a hot-head, more than likely to grab the sword, esp when thinking like she is the only one standing guard.  Done right, there is time, either in this season or later ones, for her to grow into the Galadrial from the movies.

6 hours ago, Dobber said:

A fair assessment, though they are kind of showing her to be acting…I don’t know….like a hot headed youth when at this point shoe’s likely thousands of years old. She did refuse to go back to Valinor, like you said, but in “canon” it always seemed, to me, to be more out of ambition. That was one of the things about some of the high elves of the first and second ages…they weren’t exactly “Noble” and Galadriel was no exception. I know this is a different telling but that’s kind of the “crux” of the matter for many isn’t it. Seems like they could’ve told unknown stories in this time  period using what we DID/DO know of the characters instead of making up trope like motivations. Not bashing this or anything just an opinion. I’m still going to watch but I just hope it moves away from the Warrior Princess crap and can give us something different. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Chris

Yeah. All good points. I’m also of the opinion that Galadriel could have still started as a warrior-focused character serving Gil-Galad in Eregion with Celeborn and it wouldn't have changed much. 

I find it curious that they switched the role she had in that part of Middle Earth and then gave Celebrimbor an early promotion, as it were—as if she wasn’t already grounded there. Her family connection gives her that drive and motivation to continue to be a storm of elvish justice no matter where she is.

As for Celebrimbor, again my critique is really a small nitpick. In Tolkien’s original text, he begins ruling Eregion when Galadriel and Celeborn cross the Misty Mountains and move into Lothlorien. I do wonder how the show will elaborate on this part. Is it going to be a turning point for her? The foreshadowing with the forge was a nice touch. Of course, I fully expect a certain someone to show themselves in disguise later on.

Anyway, I watched episode two today. I enjoyed the bits with Elrond and Durin, as well as the new Bradyfoot character. I do wonder who the stranger is. If he is supposed to be Istari, this is again more poetic license since they should not appear until the third age. But don’t get me wrong, I’m enjoying the side story very much.B))

1 hour ago, technoblue said:

Yeah. All good points. I’m also of the opinion that Galadriel could have still started as a warrior-focused character serving Gil-Galad in Eregion with Celeborn and it wouldn't have changed much. 

I find it curious that they switched the role she had in that part of Middle Earth and then gave Celebrimbor an early promotion, as it were—as if she wasn’t already grounded there. Her family connection gives her that drive and motivation to continue to be a storm of elvish justice no matter where she is.

As for Celebrimbor, again my critique is really a small nitpick. In Tolkien’s original text, he begins ruling Eregion when Galadriel and Celeborn cross the Misty Mountains and move into Lothlorien. I do wonder how the show will elaborate on this part. Is it going to be a turning point for her? The foreshadowing with the forge was a nice touch. Of course, I fully expect a certain someone to show themselves in disguise later on.

Anyway, I watched episode two today. I enjoyed the bits with Elrond and Durin, as well as the new Bradyfoot character. I do wonder who the stranger is. If he is supposed to be Istari, this is again more poetic license since they should not appear until the third age. But don’t get me wrong, I’m enjoying the side story very much.B))

That’s what I was thinking too about the stranger. I can’t remember but did all the Istari come to Middle Earth in the Third Age? I know Gandalf wasn’t until the TA and was the last IIRC. So I was thinking maybe Saruman…or one of the blues? Also…

Spoiler

Theo…the human woman’s son…and the dude on the raft are being theorized as future Nazgûl. Though raft guy could also be Sauron.

Chris

2 hours ago, Dobber said:

That’s what I was thinking too about the stranger. I can’t remember but did all the Istari come to Middle Earth in the Third Age? I know Gandalf wasn’t until the TA and was the last IIRC. So I was thinking maybe Saruman…or one of the blues? Also…

Reveal hidden contents

Theo…the human woman’s son…and the dude on the raft are being theorized as future Nazgûl. Though raft guy could also be Sauron.

Chris

I would have to look it up again to be certain, but I’m pretty sure all the more well-known Istari revealed themselves to help vanquish Sauron in the third age. But you’re also right noting that the blues are two who are most likely to have been around in the second age. So this could turn out to reveal someone who is both canon and new. B))

Spoiler

Speaking of new characters, Theo and Halbrand(?) are both working out for me so far. But I also want to see how they fit in with the larger events that are taking place.

Theo already seems to be on a dark path with his anti-elf talk and that broken sword of his. Halbrand has an established grey morality too, given how he lets his shipwrecked mates become fish food.

It would be a twist if one or both of them receive rings and become Nazgûl. I think the nine rings of men were given to great lords and warriors so it could work if all the creative bits fall in place.

As an aside, and if I remember correctly, only four of the rings of men are elaborated on: three were given to and corrupted Numenoreans (one possibly becoming the Witch King), the fourth one was given to and corrupted an Easterling King (Khamul).

Although I do doubt that Halbred is Sauron in disguise this early. I expect Amazon may try to trip up us readers, so I’m thinking we won’t get a canon alias in the show but when Sauron is revealed I do think he will be an elf, and he will most likely be someone who seems ‘safe’ if the writers are in top form. Since we might also get to see the Downfall of Numenor itself, we might even see Sauron take on multiple disguises.

This could be quite fun to watch, especially how in the time of the third age (given what we know from The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings) Sauron isn’t really corporeal like he was in times past.

Edited by technoblue

8 hours ago, technoblue said:

I would have to look it up again to be certain, but I’m pretty sure all the more well-known Istari revealed themselves to help vanquish Sauron in the third age. But you’re also right noting that the blues are two who are most likely to have been around in the second age. So this could turn out to reveal someone who is both canon and new. B))

Reveal hidden contents

Speaking of new characters, Theo and Halbrand(?) are both working out for me so far. But I also want to see how they fit in with the larger events that are taking place.

Theo already seems to be on a dark path with his anti-elf talk and that broken sword of his. Halbrand has an established grey morality too, given how he lets his shipwrecked mates become fish food.

It would be a twist if one or both of them receive rings and become Nazgûl. I think the nine rings of men were given to great lords and warriors so it could work if all the creative bits fall in place.

As an aside, and if I remember correctly, only four of the rings of men are elaborated on: three were given to and corrupted Numenoreans (one possibly becoming the Witch King), the fourth one was given to and corrupted an Easterling King (Khamul).

Although I do doubt that Halbred is Sauron in disguise this early. I expect Amazon may try to trip up us readers, so I’m thinking we won’t get a canon alias in the show but when Sauron is revealed I do think he will be an elf, and he will most likely be someone who seems ‘safe’ if the writers are in top form. Since we might also get to see the Downfall of Numenor itself, we might even see Sauron take on multiple disguises.

This could be quite fun to watch, especially how in the time of the third age (given what we know from The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings) Sauron isn’t really corporeal like he was in times past.

Spoiler

I wonder if the show is going to, again, alter/simplify the chain of events regarding Sauron and the events of the Second age that are known. IIRC he went to war several times in the Second age causing great devestation but was ultimately stopped if not out right defeated. After the first time is when he helped forge the rings and then made the One Ring. Went to war again, want the 3 rings made by Calibrimbor and horrifically kills him.  He is ultimately driven back by the Numenorians, men and Elves. He regrouped in Mordor tried again but was stopped by the great host of Numenor. This is when he allowed himself to be captured by Numenor and talked his way into being an advisor to the king (who is supposed to be in this show) which ultimately caused the destruction of Numenor and ultimately hurt Sauron as well by preventing him from taking a fair form again. Ultimately leading to the final alliance between Elves and Men and his defeat and loss of the One Ring. The show seems to be fast forwarding and condensing these events into a shorter period of time as the rings have not yet been forged but Numenor end may be on the horizon. Though Numenorians do live much longer then mortal men so I guess we shall see.

Chris

I'm 15 minutes in.. then fell asleep. Not an indictment necessarily, just tried to squeeze it into a long day. Anyway, pet peeve: any show that starts with a recap of what sounds like a super exciting show to watch. Why not have that be the show? "Once, there was a bad guy who rose up to power with the help of an evil sorcerer and swept across the lands nearly consuming everything before the elves fought them back. Today, nothing really is going on, but I'm convinced that evil sorcerer is still out there." I mean, if I had to pick between "evil army sweeping across the land" and "I'm convinced a bad guy is still out there" for a starting point, I like the first one better. 

1 minute ago, jenius said:

I'm 15 minutes in.. then fell asleep. Not an indictment necessarily, just tried to squeeze it into a long day. Anyway, pet peeve: any show that starts with a recap of what sounds like a super exciting show to watch. Why not have that be the show? "Once, there was a bad guy who rose up to power with the help of an evil sorcerer and swept across the lands nearly consuming everything before the elves fought them back. Today, nothing really is going on, but I'm convinced that evil sorcerer is still out there." I mean, if I had to pick between "evil army sweeping across the land" and "I'm convinced a bad guy is still out there" for a starting point, I like the first one better. 

To be fair - that is EXACTLY how Lord of the Rings the movie(s) started.  Can't remember if the books start that way or right off in the Shire.

Just watched the first 2 episodes....really slow moving but seems there is a lot they are trying to setup before things start getting more interesting....

I'll go for the ride for the entire run...already paying for it anyways...but between TRoP and HotD...HotD is currently in the lead for me in terms of entertainment value....

Edited by jvmacross

6 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Just watched the first 2 episodes....really slow moving but seems there is a lot they are trying to setup before things start getting more interesting....

I'll go for the ride for the entire run...already paying for it anyways...but between PotR and HotD...HotD is currently in the lead for me in terms of entertainment value....

I’m already paying as well, may as well give it a go. Not sure if it’ll be worth it or not, but at least the second episode felt like a major improvement over the first. Who knows, maybe it’ll turn out great

Three episodes in and I think Galadriel should just be killed off. She’s like a thousand year old child. Definitely one of the worst characters ever written. The rest of the show isn’t so bad. Nothing really exciting this episode. I do think they make the elves a bit too bad ass. It makes you wonder how they all got captured in the first place if they all fight like super humans and their enemies are so weak 

Way too many character intros with hardly any development so far to care enough to keep track of any of them...for now, I'm just following Galadriel and am interested in finding out who comet man is...other than that, I find myself kind of bored and not liking any of the other characters, especially the not-Hobbits...

6 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Way too many character intros with hardly any development so far to care enough to keep track of any of them...for now, I'm just following Galadriel and am interested in finding out who comet man is...other than that, I find myself kind of bored and not liking any of the other characters, especially the not-Hobbits...

The Not Hobbits are definitely pointless. Their pretty much just a fluff side story. The falling behind thing seems pretty lame.

The not hobbits are probably only there to eventually set up for Smeagles origins. "The river folk". Which, in turn, are the precursor to Hobbits.  Many of the elves (of note) seemed hot blooded back then, so Galadriel is probably no exception. And though the elves are always bad asses, overwhelming numbers take their toll. As was the case in fighting Morgoth. That and Balrogs and Dragons..

Ep 3 was a bit slower, and a little more story-setting. It was nice to see Galadrial's ride on the beach as that is the first time I think she's really smiled. Maybe also the first time she's had even a bit of fun over the last several hundred years. I liked the part with the orcs too. Elves are not invincible and I imagine they were caught piecemeal.

Edited by Thom

I seem to be opposite of many people as I liked this episode  more than the other 2. The time period and story of the rings in this time period is supposed to be a couple thousand years IIRC. So I guess they are condensing the whole second age into a very short time period, as Isildur and Elindil are already shown. Yes Numenorians live ALOT longer than regular mortals but not thousands of years. There are just a lot of things that need to happen and I personally don’t like it all being squeezed together.  There should be several wars with Sauron in the second age with victories and defeats, pushes and retreats and not just one big push like it was at the end of the third age. 

Chris

Was looking to get a recap of the events that occur before Amazon's Rings of Power show...found these....and the series now sort of makes less sense to me...are they combining events from multiple "Ages"?  And seems the gems stolen by Morgoth are more or less the rings of their time....but the "good" versions?

After watching these videos, I can see why the show is so slow....it has no choice but to establish so many characters, but there are so many original characters to begin with that it just makes things even more convoluted to be inventing and introducing new ones at the same time....also, I don't think the casual LOTR fan (basically anyone whose only LOTR experience is via the Jackson films, I include myself in this group) can be expected to follow the current series without some pre-Prequel backstory...

A quick mythology drop. :p 

The Harfoot are Hobbits, regardless of whether Amazon is allowed to use the name Hobbit or not. Tolkien noted there were many families of Hobbits in the Shire, who were also called Halflings by some of the other peoples of Middle Earth. Before the Shire was settled, though, there were three main types mentioned by name in the books: Stoor, Fallohide, and Harfoot. Amazon is letting us see the Harfoot and maybe we’ll see more? I don’t know. These are their migratory years, I guess, when they wandered the region between Mirkwood and the Misty Mountains.

The Silmarillion notes that Elves and Men were the children of the Iluvatar (the supreme being in Tolkien’s universe). They technically did have super powers of a sort, although I’m not sure Tolkien would be keen on the flashy acrobatics and CGI stunts in the shows/movies. They were written to be immune to illness, ageless after reaching their prime—the fairest and wisest of the races. They didn’t speak when they first came into the world. Instead they created song and merriment without speech in their first years. When they finally did formulate a language, they called themselves Quendi ( the Ones who Speak with Voices).

Like @Thom notes they are not invincible. Elves can be killed either in violence or by extreme despair.

Anyway, I really liked this week’s episode. It is building up more of that plot foundation and it has introduced the Numenoreans, as well as hinting at a certain someone I wasn’t expecting to see so early. 

Edited by technoblue

I LOVE the Nerd of the Rings YouTube channel. He presents info so well. If anyone is interested in the history of pretty much anyone or anything from Tolkien’s saga I would highly recommend his channel. At the very least he has a summery of the Second Age for those interested in what is supposed to take place in this era of the show. As we all know, this show is its own interpretation of the second age, so I can live with that, but there is so much history that is either being glossed over or crammed together into what I fear will just be….maybe a 500yr period at most culminating in the last alliance battle…when there is SO MUCH MORE before that final battle. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Chris

I’m deep geek has a pretty good episode breakdown. I didn’t like the first episode, but he explains things in a way that at least makes the episode feel more relevant. He’s a bit more simple, but gets into a lot of the details and points out some of the changes without being hateful about it

Yeah, any good site or youtube channel that summarizes the finer points of Tolkien’s world (Arda) should help casual viewers. Alas, I don’t have any channel recommendations myself, but I’m also not a casual fan by any means.

I do reference the various wiki sites to check on things uncommonly known—especially, if they are being used again in the live action presentations. For instance, the Tolkien Gateway and Fandom’s One Wiki to Rule them All are two that I frequent.

Apart from that, it’s just book research from me. I have multiple copies of Tolkien’s various books in soft and hardcover physical format, and digital ereader format (all read multiple times)—US and UK published versions. I’m already in the habit of looking things up. ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

I watched episode 4 over the weekend. I thought the build up of all the condensed Numenorean plots was handled very well. Seeing how the young Queen-Regent Miriel is struggling with a population that is lured by Pharazon (and his ambition), anti-elf sentiment, and resentment of their Middle Earth human cousins could easily be told as its own story.

I liked how all the foreshadowing worked into this part too.

Spoiler

And I loved the scene with the palentir. Numenor has all the palentiri during most of the second age, so it’s very cool to see the Queen-Regent using one in this episode and sharing its information with Galadriel.

I also appreciated how the two characters had different interpretations of what was seen. Then the petals on the White Tree start to fall and the Queen pulls herself back from Pharazon’s misguided prejudice and reassess things. For me, it all adds weight and color to what Tolkien already wrote on his own. That said, it would have been cool if Tolkien had been willing to write full stories on these early ages himself.

So it will be interesting to see how the show writers have things go pear shaped after this respite. The canon story is that Sauron had a hand in feeding into Pharazon’s prejudices and encouraged him to cut down Nimloth, the White Tree that we see, and attack Valinor. These events happen much later in the second age than where we are presently, though.

As another aside, by the time of the fall of Numenor only seven of the palentiri are rescued. Of these, four are lost, and Sauron gets his hands on one. This leaves the two others we know of by the time of TLotR: the one Saruman uses and the one Denethor II uses in Gondor.

And then there are the two parallel plots: the one with the Southlanders and the other with Elrond and Durin IV. These still feel at the beginning stages of their stories, but I’m enjoying the character development. I’m especially keen on how the show is elaborating creatively on Middle Earth Dwarfish culture and customs. Disa (who is non-canonical) and her interactions with Durin are a treat to watch.

Edited by technoblue

This series is boring AF...it looks good....but nothing has happened so far that has invested me in the characters or their stories...I like comet man but his development is mind numbingly slow....

I started rewatching the LOTR trilogy....something that I already know I will never do with the TV series....no comparison...I guess it takes thousands of years for some characters to become likable and interesting...lol

4 hours ago, jvmacross said:

This series is boring AF...it looks good....but nothing has happened so far that has invested me in the characters or their stories...I like comet man but his development is mind numbingly slow....

I started rewatching the LOTR trilogy....something that I already know I will never do with the TV series....no comparison...I guess it takes thousands of years for some characters to become likable and interesting...lol

Definitely dull. This batch of science fiction and fantasy shows have been super dull. I kinda think that instead of splitting the stories the way they did just slows all of them down. I wish they’d focus on the stuff with the elf at the tower and the forge and get back to the dull Galadriel and harfoot stuff later

While I have been liking this series in spite of its flaws or my personal preferences and have found each episode was better then the last, that streak ended with this episode. What a nothing episode and a step backward overall. Hoping for better next week.

Chris

On 9/24/2022 at 8:13 PM, Dobber said:

While I have been liking this series in spite of its flaws or my personal preferences and have found each episode was better then the last, that streak ended with this episode. What a nothing episode and a step backward overall. Hoping for better next week.

Chris

I thought the episode was okay, but I came away with more nitpicks than usual. There was a definite drop in consistency this week. Click the spoiler for my main beefs.

Spoiler

Isildur’s developing story…what? Seriously… what? This guy is the one who becomes the first King of Gondor (ruler of all the Dunedain) and he also cuts the one ring from Sauron’s hand. However, Amazon is characterizing him like some directionless young fool in Numenor. I’m not feeling his future destiny. Not yet, anyway.

Then there’s Galadriel’s part in the story. This episode feels mighty strained again because there is so much focus on her relationship with the non-canon made-up-by-Amazon Southern King. I question why Celeborn was written out of this part of her timeline completely in this series. I’m pretty sure he was already with her in the second age. Oh well, I’ll have to check that out in the books.

Moving on to plot lines that had me scratching my head at first, I was unsure of the Mithril subplot going on between Gilgalad, Elrond, and Durin. I had a doubt early on that the creative team was going to add unnecessary drama here—and there is a bit of that—but it seems they aren’t drawing it out (thank goodness). I did enjoy how they resolved things between Elrond and Durin. The table joke was obvious, but it also fit.

The story with the wandering Hobbits was nice in that it confirmed a lot of what I had assumed with the map showing their path. Sadly the whole thing with the stranger is moving as slow as the snails they like to snack on. I thought they were going to give us answers about him, especially given the conversation early in the episode when the stranger realises he is ‘big folk’ and one of the dangers the halflings try to avoid at all costs.

Nope.

What’s worse, we get a mysterious armored contingent checking out the stranger’s landing site. And that’s it, no more context the entire episode.

The Southlanders in the tower splitting up was expected. I was a bit surprised to see that Theo found his conscience again and didn’t leave with the group that went with the gnarly old tavern guy. I really thought he had been written in as one of the anti-elf Southlanders…but maybe this is a misdirection.

I guess we shall see, eh?

Edited by technoblue

Here’s my gripes and theories:

Spoiler

So this episode just really didn’t go anywhere and I agree about Isildur…maybe he just needs to find himself. Last episode had us believe Numenor was ready to go to war, now this episode “let’s discuss this further” arrrrg! Also how did Galadriel get HER armor back? You know the Armor she had taken off on the ship to Valanor before she…..eh hem, jumped into the ocean to swim back to land 🤦‍♂️ It was clearly Elvin armor soooo…

I agree about the Harfoot story….just taking waaay too long and is far too drawn out. The watchtower story isn’t bad but also getting kind of drawn out. The only story I consistently like is the Elrond/Durin story. 

My theories are that Mithril will be used to create the Elvin rings 

I believe Halbrand is Sauron, he is using the Numenorians to either motivate the Southlanders to his cause by being attacked by the Numenorians and Elves….or just using the Numenorians to clean out the southlands so he can then take them with Orcs  maybe both. 

1 hour ago, Dobber said:

Also how did Galadriel get HER armor back?

I don’t exactly know how time works in this show, but Halbrand seems to have somehow learned to craft exquisite swords in a couple days. Maybe one of the  numenorian black smiths made her armor, since they did have a connection with elves back in the day.

6 hours ago, Dobber said:

Here’s my gripes and theories:

Reveal hidden contents

So this episode just really didn’t go anywhere and I agree about Isildur…maybe he just needs to find himself. Last episode had us believe Numenor was ready to go to war, now this episode “let’s discuss this further” arrrrg! Also how did Galadriel get HER armor back? You know the Armor she had taken off on the ship to Valanor before she…..eh hem, jumped into the ocean to swim back to land 🤦‍♂️ It was clearly Elvin armor soooo…

I agree about the Harfoot story….just taking waaay too long and is far too drawn out. The watchtower story isn’t bad but also getting kind of drawn out. The only story I consistently like is the Elrond/Durin story. 

My theories are that Mithril will be used to create the Elvin rings 

I believe Halbrand is Sauron, he is using the Numenorians to either motivate the Southlanders to his cause by being attacked by the Numenorians and Elves….or just using the Numenorians to clean out the southlands so he can then take them with Orcs  maybe both. 

Ooo. I like your theory about Halbrand. I could see the creative team making that work.

And the goof with Galadriel's armour was unfortunate. 

2 hours ago, Duke Togo said:

I think this show is fine, though I’m not sure I’d be watching if it wasn’t LotR related.

I wonder how much Amazon is handicapped by not having the rights to The Simarillion? 

That's a good question. If the license restrictions are limited to words like Hobbits and such, I don't see that holding the series back too much. If it includes characters and places on Tolkien's map of Arda (his fantasy world), then that could get sticky. So far, the first age references have been solid, even though Amazon's creative team has added their own non-canon flourishes here and there.

I'll put my detailed thoughts in a spoiler since it mixes content from the latest episode with some book-based knowledge.

Spoiler

For instance, Melkor/Morgoth has come up a number of times, as has the Valar.

As an aside, Melkor was a corrupted Valar. He was named Morgoth by ancient elves.

In the latest episode, Gilgalad gives a short talk about one of the Silmarils and how it contains the remaining essence of the two trees of Valinor. These trees were shown in the first episode of the show when we saw a young Galadriel with her elven friends and her brother. 

By the time of the second age, the two trees are gone. Morgoth and his minions destroyed them in the first age. The canon fate of the Silmarils is that one was recovered by Earendil and returned to the Valar--turned into a star in the sky. Earendil is Elrond's father and his fate has been referenced a couple of times already. Celebrimbor brings up Earendil again in the latest episode. That aside, the two other stones were retaken from Morgoth by Feanor's sons. Feanor was the one who created the three Silmarils; however, the stones rejected both of his sons. Per the books, the stones burned the hands of those they rejected. Because Feanor's sons couldn't take advantage of the stones, one was thrown into the sea and the other into a fiery pit to rest within the earth.

So I think the story that Gilgalad shares about the earth-bound Silmaril is another non-canon creative retelling. It combines a lot of things that did happen like the war with Morgoth and his enlisted Balrogs, but then adds the bit about how Mithril came to be.