15 hours ago, Bolt said:

Trying to mimic GOT would be horrible. I was so glad the Witcher didn't bother with that . I think it needs to follow the look and feel of the films as @TangledThorns said. The problem is when these writers and producers try to one up or out do previous works in a genre. Ya I'm looking at you SW ! They lose their way and pat themselves on the back for it. All we really need is additional content and good story telling  without loosing the plot..

No pun intended 😅

I agree, well said. 

Chris

On 1/20/2022 at 5:23 PM, Bolt said:

Trying to mimic GOT would be horrible. I was so glad the Witcher didn't bother with that . I think it needs to follow the look and feel of the films as @TangledThorns said. The problem is when these writers and producers try to one up or out do previous works in a genre. Ya I'm looking at you SW ! They lose their way and pat themselves on the back for it. All we really need is additional content and good story telling  without loosing the plot..

No pun intended 😅

Agreed on all counts; if they can simply do that,k then they should have a solid series and potential winner.

On 1/21/2022 at 10:40 AM, Dynaman said:

Another thing with GOT is it is shades of gray while LotR is Black and White.  Bad guys are bad and good guys are good (except when their mind is being controlled or manipulated).  

GOod point: as long as they can keep that straight, they should be okay. It's one thing I never liked with Got: nearly everyone was a Jerkface.

Edited by pengbuzz

On 1/21/2022 at 7:40 AM, Dynaman said:

Another thing with GOT is it is shades of gray while LotR is Black and White.  Bad guys are bad and good guys are good (except when their mind is being controlled or manipulated).  

Indeed. Hmm, there may be some shades of gray with this series, i can see. We know the rings of power were meant to control the major races. And that doesn't happen overnight. So it's kind of set up to be a nail biter watching the slow slide into madness and darkness for some, or awareness and resistance ( I'm looking at you Galadriel 🥰) for others. There will be betrayals! I'll definitely be going over the Silmarillion in the coming days. It's a good time to revisit the second age of Middle Earth !

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2022 at 5:40 PM, Dynaman said:

LotR is Black and White.  Bad guys are bad and good guys are good (except when their mind is being controlled or manipulated).  

Hardly surprising given that Tolkien was Christian and suffused his work with Christian themes, such as the concepts of absolute good and evil.

The portrayal of good and evil matches the Christian conceptualisation. Evil is seemingly very powerful at first and many succumb to it, but ultimately its a cowardly and spiteful perversion that ultimately falls before righteous  judgement.

Most obviously, you surely cannot miss that Eru Illuvatar is modelled on God and that Melkor/Morgoth on Lucifer/Satan.

CS Lewis, whom Tolkien was highly instrumental in converting from atheism to the Christian faith, modelled Aslan on God/Jesus.

Edited by Podtastic

3 hours ago, kalvasflam said:

Let’s see if they pull it off or if it’s a big flop.  I was surprised by the Reacher series, pretty decent, not perfect adaptation of the Killing Floor, but decent enough to warrant a second season.

Prime seems to be really good with their streaming since they don't have much of it, lol. That being said, we do plan on suspending our Prime account when it ends this year as they are jacking up their subscription rate again. 

I remember reading the Silmarillion around 15 years ago, right after The return of the king was released. I can't say i remember the story and the characters very well but i do remember that i liked it a lot and always hoped for a movie or something like that. I don't want to read it again now because of the show coming out soon and, since i don't have many memories of it, i feel it would look fresher if i leave it like this...I do have a question though:

What the hell are those???

lord-of-the-rings-011.jpg

Edited by Ryoma

29 minutes ago, Ryoma said:

I remember reading the Silmarillion around 15 years ago, right after The return of the king was released. I can't say i remember the story and the characters very well but i do remember that i liked it a lot and always hoped for a movie or something like that. I don't want to read it again now because of the show coming out soon and, since i don't have many memories of it, i feel it would look fresher if i leave it like this...I do have a question though:

Oliphaunt trainers

52 minutes ago, Ryoma said:

Those are hunters, presumably with their kill.

4 hours ago, Ryoma said:

I thought those were weird costumes too! But yeah, of course, hunters with heads...:rolleyes:

10 hours ago, Thom said:

I thought those were weird costumes too! But yeah, of course, hunters with heads...:rolleyes:

Yeah, they look really funny to me but it's just a picture so maybe once we see them on screen(well, on the television screen in this case) they would look less goofy.Hopefully.

1 hour ago, Dynaman said:

They might also just be actor standins for something that will be CGI later.  

Doubt it. If they were stand-ins, they would be in mo-cap suits or have mo-cap dots on the horns. So yeah, hunters with great elk(?) heads...

5 hours ago, azrael said:

Doubt it. If they were stand-ins, they would be in mo-cap suits or have mo-cap dots on the horns. So yeah, hunters with great elk(?) heads...

On the flip side, if that IS what they are supposed to look like then the budget for this is being criminally mishandled.

6 hours ago, Dynaman said:

If you want to fall over.  A single person carrying any real world equivalent horns that size is just not happening.

Agreed.  Either there's magic involved or those "horns" aren't actually horns, but something like giant dry mushrooms.

I like that they're attempting to further embellish the Rings' world and that they're attempting to do it with practical effects, but after seeing that one picture... I can't say I like the artistic direction that they're taking.

56 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

I'll watch it but only because there isn't much else to watch on Prime, is there?

I disagree.  Reacher was pretty good.  It was a 60% to 70% faithful adaption to the original book,

But I wonder if it's too late for Amazon to get its money back for this show, but this doesn't seem like a great idea if one has to judge anything by the trailer.  $1/4B for the rights, almost another $0.5B for the season, no wonder they had to raise the prices for Prime.

Trust Bezos to screw up something else... wasn't it bad enough baldy is screwing up the race into space with the phallic rocket and his super ego?  And removing a bridge in the Netherlands so his yacht can get to the open ocean.   Why is he trying to screw up LOTR too.   He is going to displace Zuck at this rate as one of the most hate person on Earth.

Edited by kalvasflam

As far as prime, there’s a new season and side project for The Boys, Invincible, hopefully a new season of Hunters and after getting through the first three let down episodes of Vox Machina it gets better and now I like it. Vox Machina definitely had some kinda crappy first episodes, but I think after seeing the last few, it changed my mind. The humor is still a bit cringy though.

I still want more of a bigger preview of this new Lord of the Rings. This one looks a bit rough with the cg and doesn’t really tell much about the story, but I’m hopeful 

1 hour ago, pablumatic said:

A prequel series. Just thinking of all the good prequels I've seen....🙊

Is this show based upon any actual Tolkien writing, or is it made up whole cloth? I'm guessing just bits and pieces of The Silmarillion if anything. 

Bits and pieces of the Silmarillion is what I've heard, which will require a bunch of TV writers to come up with almost all of the scenes and dialogue on their own, very little except the setting will come from Tolkien.  If there is anything that the last few years have demonstrated, it's that TV writers are generally not up to the task of wholesale creation in fantasy worlds.  The last few seasons of GOT, and the first season of WOT, etc.  Of course with the amount of money they are throwing at this, maybe they actually came up with decent writers.  I have my doubts. 

Edited by levzloi