WIP: Alternate Weapons Pods for VF-31

Sanity is Optional

1 hour ago, seti88 said:

That looks non destructive, imagine it doesn't take too much force to pull out!  Seems bandai might be thinking of future pod replacements too?

I'm still hoping they release supers for the 31A with an alternate pod or two. Sure I can model my own, but Bandai does good work.

Shapeways parts have arrived.

Looks like some parts need a bit of tweaking, specifically the mating pegs between top/bottom of the main housing. The missile inserts need a bit more clearance between the missiles and the holes they poke through, especially if paint is going to be involved.

On the plus side, it looks like the hinge mechanism works great, and the door meshes properly with the lines of the housing. Also the size and shape is pretty damn close to the original.

I may end up making different versions of the parts based on print material, as the differences in fit and finish are quite large.

[edit] I'll put up images a bit later or tomorrow.

Edited by Sanity is Optional

Here's an Imgur gallery. The pics of it on the VF-31 were after I made a few adjustments to get it going together properly. Looks like I'll need to upload new files for most of the parts (though the old ones just needed a little knife work).

https://imgur.com/a/sWgzI

1 minute ago, chyll2 said:

cool, you made the missile and its tray separate for easy painting.

imo, the current print is already good. It can be fixed by a few modelling skills.

But... I'm a perfectionist.

Seriously though, there's about 5-10min of work on 5 different parts before it'll be ready. I'll probably knock it out Friday and order a full set for assembly.

I especially want to make the missiles a bit smaller, so there's some clearance between them and the tray, so the paint doesn't get rubbed off when you push it through.

Also there's a couple places where the bottom part of the housing is wrong, and the tray needs to have the side angle adjusted.

Now that I think about it, it's also a good time to add some surface detail in a few places, like the tops of the missiles and the front/back of the pod.

Your pod is looking awesome really. Are you planning to make the Speaker pod ? If not, that's something I am interested and that I can try once you fix the files.

Making different versions depending on the material use is a good idea, but to me this is a "FUD" trap... Once you make all the details to optimize FUD resolution, you can't go back to WSF "1mm" detailing.

43 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

But... I'm a perfectionist.

Seriously though, there's about 5-10min of work on 5 different parts before it'll be ready. I'll probably knock it out Friday and order a full set for assembly.

I especially want to make the missiles a bit smaller, so there's some clearance between them and the tray, so the paint doesn't get rubbed off when you push it through.

Also there's a couple places where the bottom part of the housing is wrong, and the tray needs to have the side angle adjusted.

Now that I think about it, it's also a good time to add some surface detail in a few places, like the tops of the missiles and the front/back of the pod.

Anything that can make painting easier is good. Cant really comment on the surface detail since it is not prepped (so most are hidden), but is it possible to make them deep so that details will survive sanding the print lines (or whatever is it called).

Speaking of the lines, is that FUD? looks more cleaner that the last FUD I worked with.

41 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

I was not planning to do the speaker pod at all, I can shoot you the blank pod model if you're interested in a starting point (I've now confirmed it fits on the Valk properly).

As far as the surface detail, I'm just thinking some 0.2mm embossed sections, like the band around the center section of the pod. It shows up even with polished strong+flexible.

It's worth pointing out that the doors can only be printed in the frosted detail material (either Ultra or Extreme) due to the minimum feature size. Also the shell can be printed in strong+flexible, but you'll need to drill the hinge pivot holes, as they're only about 1mm deep without going to Frosted Detail. It's wise to also drill out the holes in the doors, as they appear to be filled with support material past ~5mm in from the edge.

2 minutes ago, chyll2 said:

Speaking of the lines, is that FUD? looks more cleaner that the last FUD I worked with.

The door shown is Frosted Extreme Detail, the outer shell is Frosted Ultra.

Here's a pic of Frosted Extreme vs Ultra for the doors. (next to a polished strong+flexible body I had made to check printability)

2546DmX.jpg

My personal plan is to print everything in Frosted Ultra, except the missiles and missile trays, which I'll have done in polished strong+flexible

Alright, modified and re-uploaded all the part files.

Ordered myself a full set in FUD, except the doors which are in Hi-Def Acrylate for strength.

Should get here first or second week of December, once I verify that everything works, I'll publish the CAD files and open the shapeways files for printing.

Additional hardware required:

• 2x 0.02" (0.5mm) shafts of at least 3/4" (19mm)
  • 4x 0.02" (0.5mm) shafts of at least 1/4" (6mm)

1 hour ago, NZEOD said:

Will it be scaleable to 1:72? I have 4 vf31a models if like to try this on

I'll have to do some CAD wizardry, as the shaft holes need to stay the same size while everything else scales down.

You could probably try just printing it smaller if you have a 0.02" drill bit to open up the hinge holes (Amazon does sell these).

10 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Well, if it doesn't need to articulate or stow properly, then yes a scaled down version will work just fine.

Articulation would be nice but, now that NZEOD mentions it, not necessary. One could simply print two copies and build one closed, the other open if they were really so inclined. The Bandai/Hasegawa kits' mounting mechanisms might be slightly but significantly enough different from the DX toy to make attaching a problem, but I doubt it would present any major problems. And assuming the proportion scales properly, fitment shouldn't be a problem, either. Even if it is, again, it wouldn't present that much of a problem.

On 11/17/2017 at 7:56 AM, slide said:

That thought bodes well for those waiting on Chuck's AWAC/EWAC version...

Not to forget the ever-famous Speaker Pods. ^_^ 

On 11/26/2017 at 2:25 AM, Sanity is Optional said:

Alright, modified and re-uploaded all the part files.

Ordered myself a full set in FUD, except the doors which are in Hi-Def Acrylate for strength.

Should get here first or second week of December, once I verify that everything works, I'll publish the CAD files and open the shapeways files for printing.

Additional hardware required:

• 2x 0.02" (0.5mm) shafts of at least 3/4" (19mm)
  • 4x 0.02" (0.5mm) shafts of at least 1/4" (6mm)

Looking forward to your update. ;) 

26 minutes ago, Rock said:

The extreme is on the left side and ultra on the right correct?

Yup. They don't actually feel that much different in hand (though I can tell the difference). Should be easy enough to sand over, or maybe even just a slightly thick primer coat.

For my actual set I'm going to use on my 31a I went with the Acrylate for the doors though, since it's a bit stronger and the FUD/FED material is a bit brittle.

Possibly stupid questions:

1.  Is there clearance for the hatches to open in fighter mode?

2.  Is black high-def acrylate an option?  Everything I've makes it look like "the best material yet" for most things, but I've seen very people people make it available for parts.  

1 hour ago, David Hingtgen said:

Possibly stupid questions:

1.  Is there clearance for the hatches to open in fighter mode?

2.  Is black high-def acrylate an option?  Everything I've makes it look like "the best material yet" for most things, but I've seen very people people make it available for parts.  

They cannot open while it's stowed in fighter mode, due to the hinge opening to the sides. It can be deployed in fighter mode up above the wing though.

I'm actually getting my missile doors printed in Hi-def Acrylate. They can only be printed in materials with <1mm wall thickness available such as FUD and Hi-def Acrylate. This does mean that Acrylic (Detail Plastic) is a no-go due to wall thickness.

As far as all the other parts, should be viable in just about every plastic they have. 

I don't think I can save directly as SKP from solidworks unfortunately.

Solidworks does: x_t, x_b, igs, stp, ifc, vda, sat, wrl, stl, amf, 3dxml, xaml, cgr, prt, hcg, hsf, and dxf.

Typically I use igs and x_b, but shapeways requires stl.

Also looks like UPS pushed my delivery date from Tues to Fri. Bleh.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the parts, most are good but I've got a few small issues to fix. The Acrylate doors need to have the hinge pin holes drilled out (with a 0.5mm drill bit...), also slightly bent and a bunch of nubs that need cleaning, probably will just reprint in FUD. There was also an interference I missed the first time around on the body shell, so need to update the model. I'm not going to reprint that, just shaved the conflicting area.

On the plus side everything else is looking good and fits nicely, even snaps onto the DX just fine and slots/deploys in fighter mode.

o4fmoBH.jpg

lPolGgq.jpg

Once it's up I suggest printing everything in FUD or FED. Acrylate seems to need some work: drilling, de-nubbing, and some bending to straighten.

Full Imgur Album

1 minute ago, Sildani said:

Wow. Looks great, thanks for doing all this. One request: think you could come up with a clip to attach the gun pod in fighter mode somehow?

Yeah, that's up next, ought to be pretty easy, just need to figure out if I want it to mount grip up, or grip down on the hardpoint.

I'm noodling over how to handle the cannons next, how do people feel about them being spring-loaded? (Obviously you could assemble without.) It seems like it's be easier than having stuff click into position, which is tough to get the tolerances right for.