Super Macross Mecha Fun Time Discussion Thread!

Valkyrie Driver

9 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Given the ferocity of the debate over the topic at the time...?

Hmm , i guess there was some debate. But not in my mind ! (little mousy girl or sassy woman..)

11 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

None of which I am aware.

That said, it's a very safe bet the heavy missiles on the Regult's heavy missile variant are nowhere near the firepower of the Spacy's RMS-1 thermonuclear reaction missiles.

To the Zentradi, thermonuclear reaction weaponry is a lost technology.  They lost access to it around 380,000 BCE when the Supervision Army destroyed the factory satellites that were producing thermonuclear reaction munitions for the Zentradi forces.

The Regult heavy missile variant's missile may have a blast yield equivalent to hundreds or maybe even thousands of kilograms of TNT... but even the lightest reaction warhead used by the UN Spacy had a yield of 500t.

OK ,thanks for your input . I wonder if any retooled factory satellites are pumping out RMS-1 's for post space war one SPACY and co.

2 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

I also wonder how many factory satellites have broken down after millennia of use?

Probably a lot... though because they can self-repair to a certain extent, the value of "broken down" probably varies a fair bit.

6 hours ago, Bolt said:

Hmm , i guess there was some debate. But not in my mind ! (little mousy girl or sassy woman..)

We all have our favorites. :) 

6 hours ago, Bolt said:

OK ,thanks for your input . I wonder if any retooled factory satellites are pumping out RMS-1 's for post space war one SPACY and co.

I'd assume so.  The factory satellites in the New UN Government's custody produce all kinds of things.  Essential defensive munitions seem like a pretty logical step there.

Though I'd imagine they're just producing the hardware.  Heavy quanta apparently has a shelf life of sorts, so those can't be stored indefinitely.  They're probably manufactured and stored without any hydrogen or heavy quanta and only charged when they're needed.

So am I correct that the RMS-1 missiles are mostly depicted with a yellow nose , but also , sometimes, with a red nose ? Or am i seeing two different missile types. For instance, most of the VF's  I see , fully loaded, have  2 heavy missiles on each wing with yellow. But some with red. And i know that the Bandai 1/72 Super parts set has them in red..

1 hour ago, Bolt said:

So am I correct that the RMS-1 missiles are mostly depicted with a yellow nose , but also , sometimes, with a red nose ? Or am i seeing two different missile types. For instance, most of the VF's  I see , fully loaded, have  2 heavy missiles on each wing with yellow. But some with red. And i know that the Bandai 1/72 Super parts set has them in red..

Yeah, they were originally colored red in the Super Dimension Fortress Macross series and changed to yellow starting in Macross: Do You Remember Love?.

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Yeah, they were originally colored red in the Super Dimension Fortress Macross series and changed to yellow starting in Macross: Do You Remember Love?.

Of course. The ole SDFM / DYRL switcheroo..! 
Thanks again 👍

Know what I kinda feel sorry for the three Monster Mk II crew. They looked badness when they were young now they are in a retirement home. They kept their Monster MK II pristine. It boggles me how it's part of their retirement package. Milia got her VF-1J. MeBilreranwhile Max, Milia and Richard Bilrer also veterans have made their mark. In Bilrer's case he became super rich investing in transportation now hw has Fhe has French maids and a Zentran scale train set. 

So many VF-1 on Macross 7 makes you realize these are collectors items. Since they are still used in the frontier I imagine them like a family heirloom passed from one generation to the next. Parts are so ubiquitous that you can upgrade them. 

1 hour ago, RedWolf said:

Know what I kinda feel sorry for the three Monster Mk II crew. They looked badness when they were young now they are in a retirement home. They kept their Monster MK II pristine. It boggles me how it's part of their retirement package.

Probably purchased after the Destroids were decommissioned and sold off as potential industrial equipment as a museum piece.

1 hour ago, RedWolf said:

So many VF-1 on Macross 7 makes you realize these are collectors items. Since they are still used in the frontier I imagine them like a family heirloom passed from one generation to the next. Parts are so ubiquitous that you can upgrade them. 

Eh... yes and no, but more no than yes.

Many of the VF-1's seen in Macross 7 are supposedly units disarmed and sold off to civilians by the New UN Forces after the VF-1 was retired from service.  Many more, according to Master File, met their end as target aircraft in training exercises with live weaponry.  Past that point, most of the VF-1's we see in civilian hands are purpose-built civilian models which use more modern hardware and software.

Probably purchased after the Destroids were decommissioned and sold off as potential industrial equipment as a museum piece.

Eh... yes and no, but more no than yes.

Many of the VF-1's seen in Macross 7 are supposedly units disarmed and sold off to civilians by the New UN Forces after the VF-1 was retired from service.  Many more, according to Master File, met their end as target aircraft in training exercises with live weaponry.  Past that point, most of the VF-1's we see in civilian hands are purpose-built civilian models which use more modern hardware and software.

Not too unlike people who purchase warbirds and old tanks today.  They are all completely demiled (except those used by private contractors at Red Flag and similar training events), and typically have a number of other systems detuned/downgraded for longevity and to meet FAA spec.  But, as you said, most likely ended up as targeting/gunnery drones.  Even the "purpose built" civilian models have something of a precedent, but usually in things like transports, light aircraft, and helos.

18 minutes ago, Knight26 said:

Not too unlike people who purchase warbirds and old tanks today.  They are all completely demiled (except those used by private contractors at Red Flag and similar training events), and typically have a number of other systems detuned/downgraded for longevity and to meet FAA spec.  But, as you said, most likely ended up as targeting/gunnery drones.  Even the "purpose built" civilian models have something of a precedent, but usually in things like transports, light aircraft, and helos.

Variable Fighter Master File's volumes on the VF-1 offer some details about the Valkyrie's end-of-life with the New UN Forces after the First Space War.  Both in terms of its service life extension upgrades (e.g. VF-1P, VF-1X) and what became of many of the VF-1 units that were not decommissioned and sold off to private buyers.  Many, particularly a postwar model designated VF-1L, were converted into radio-controlled target aircraft for training exercises with live weaponry.

2 minutes ago, aurance said:

Do Valks carry ladders or something? They have various ingress/egress means but often stop where those would be dozens of feet from the ground.

(I’m aware some have ex gear or can be scooped up by arms, but certainly not in all scenes where this happens.)

The VF-1 Valkyrie has an embarkation ladder that collapses into the side of the cockpit in fighter mode.  It's seen a bunch in the original series.

The VF-19 is shown to have a winch with a foot stirrup and handgrip in Macross 7.

The VF-1 Valkyrie has an embarkation ladder that collapses into the side of the cockpit in fighter mode.  It's seen a bunch in the original series.

The VF-19 is shown to have a winch with a foot stirrup and handgrip in Macross 7.

Well there goes my memory.

3 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Much like the F-14 Tomcat

Unless you're Nekki Basara; then you just run to the nearest ledge/ rooftop and jump onto it in Battroid mode (and hoefully not slip, fall and break several dozen bones).

1 minute ago, pengbuzz said:

Unless you're Nekki Basara; then you just run to the nearest ledge/ rooftop and jump onto it in Battroid mode (and hoefully not slip, fall and break several dozen bones).

Even he's not THAT crazy... though those mad lads did rig zip lines all over the space between buildings where Basara usually parks it, so he ziplines down to it like a 60's superhero or something.  (Which is almost exactly as dangerous, except you're trusting your grip strength instead of your aim.)

They only use the winch thing like once or twice, and every other time they just put the Valkyrie in GERWALK mode with the nose to the ground and a hand out or have some other way to get into it like the Battroid being on its back.

There's a whole bunch of scenes where they just don't show pilots embarking or disembarking to avoid having to work out how.

I did an average of a Zentradi ship crew based on the 118th Main Fleet fleet numbers and total population and computed what would be the number of Meltrandi of Chlore's fleet and they are about more than 150 million Meltrandi that are now allies of the NUN. And Macross Frontier is only 10 million people. The Brisingr Globular Cluster has a population of 8 billion on account of having three Miclone homeworlds. Chlore fleet is a nation onto itself. One that is bigger than NUNS. And the UNS had to deal with a few Rebel Zentradi that didn't  integrate like the rest of the 8 million Zentradi. 

I imagine any planet trying to integrate to their population Chlore's fleet would be a political hot potato.

22 minutes ago, RedWolf said:

I did an average of a Zentradi ship crew based on the 118th Main Fleet fleet numbers and total population and computed what would be the number of Meltrandi of Chlore's fleet and they are about more than 150 million Meltrandi that are now allies of the NUN.

But that's only a rough-order estimate assuming a uniform distribution of personnel across all ship types in a Zentradi Main Fleet.

That number is skewed pretty badly by the existence of the Mobile Fortress.  A ship several times the size of the entire Japanese archipelago like the TV version Fulbtzs Berrentzs-class mothership likely has a gargantuan crew appropriate to its size.  (Japan in 1982 was home to 118 million people, a ship several times its area could easily be home to half a billion or more.)  Then, of course, the crew size is naturally going to vary by the size and role of the warship.  The small 500m-class pickets are likely to have crews of a few dozen to a hundred or so based on their size in scale to their crews, and the larger warships are obviously going to have thousands.

Macross Chronicle rolls with the assessment that Chlore's fleet is 500 times the size of the Macross 7 fleet, making it ~97,000 ships.

She doesn't have a mobile fortress, and like most Zentradi forces and the Spacy itself a lot of her fleet's ships are picket ships.  

Odds are she actually has around half the number you computed based on the raw average, and probably less than that given that the females were elite forces with lower numbers than the males to begin with.

Still a pretty substantial population, but not unmanageably so.

22 minutes ago, RedWolf said:

I imagine any planet trying to integrate to their population Chlore's fleet would be a political hot potato.

Assuming they decide to settle on a world at all.

Hello everyone: 

I have a couple of questions about emigrant fleets.  Is there any information on which was the last of the emigrant fleets that was launched from The Earth (Solar System)?  Is there any kind of emigrant ship in between the City Class and the Island Cluster Class? Can the Macross 11 main colonization shio (the one that appears in episode 25 of Frontier) be considered an Intermediate? (It is seen next to an environment type ship similar to the one seen in the Frontier fleet). 

Thanks for your time and sorry for any grammatical or translation errors in the post (English is not my native language).

Kind regards.

Juan.

15 minutes ago, amegari_hikaru said:

Is there any kind of emigrant ship in between the City Class and the Island Cluster Class?

There is Macross Galaxy Mainland which is different from any Macross fleet we know. Others are just variations of the City Class like Macross 5 having Zentradi aesthetics or Macross 11 having large wing fins along with a cluster of islands. Ma Macross 1 City ships had no clam shells. 

Edited by RedWolf

22 minutes ago, amegari_hikaru said:

Hello everyone: 

Greetings!

I have a couple of questions about emigrant fleets.  Is there any information on which was the last of the emigrant fleets that was launched from The Earth (Solar System)?

The highest-numbered emigrant fleet that has been mentioned as launching from Earth was the Macross 29 fleet... also known as the 59th Large-Scale Long-Distance Emigrant Fleet.  It was the setting for the 2012 stage musical Macross the Musiculture.

Prior to that, the highest-numbered emigrant fleet launched from Earth that we know about was the Macross 25 fleet, also known as Macross Frontier, or the 55th Large-Scale Long-Distance Emigrant Fleet.

Of course, those fleets have been in space for decades by the time they appear in their respective stories, so there is almost certainly a much higher-numbered fleet from Earth that just hasn't appeared or been mentioned yet.

Is there any kind of emigrant ship in between the City Class and the Island Cluster Class? Can the Macross 11 main colonization shio (the one that appears in episode 25 of Frontier) be considered an Intermediate? (It is seen next to an environment type ship similar to the one seen in the Frontier fleet). 

The Macross 11 fleet's environment ship is said to be a transitional type between the 3rd Generation City-class and 5th Generation Island Cluster-class, though it is still technically a 3rd Generation emigrant ship.

The Macross Galaxy fleet's Mainland is the only example we've seen of a 4th Generation emigrant ship, but it is also noted to be a very unconventional design because of Macross Galaxy's adoption of many radical new technologies and minimal interest in things like the comfort of its population.  (It's kind of a cyberpunk dystopian city in space.)

Thanks for your time and sorry for any grammatical or translation errors in the post (English is not my native language).

No problems there. :) 

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Even he's not THAT crazy... though those mad lads did rig zip lines all over the space between buildings where Basara usually parks it, so he ziplines down to it like a 60's superhero or something.  (Which is almost exactly as dangerous, except you're trusting your grip strength instead of your aim.)

They only use the winch thing like once or twice, and every other time they just put the Valkyrie in GERWALK mode with the nose to the ground and a hand out or have some other way to get into it like the Battroid being on its back.

There's a whole bunch of scenes where they just don't show pilots embarking or disembarking to avoid having to work out how.

Er.... zip lines?

Oh yeah...I can just imagine how that would work out:

2141129427_BasaraZipCrashFinal.jpg.e3271abcb3854517dc89c09dd96817a1.jpg

51 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Are there any reference images of the SF- 1 Hound Dog ? Trying to figure out what this thing looks like..

... OK, I have to admit you managed to actually stump me a good ten, maybe fifteen, minutes there.

(Seriously, a full on "Perhaps the archives are incomplete" moment...)

It's the designation that threw me.  Until now, I'd never heard of a predecessor to the SF-3A Lancer II from Super Dimension Fortress Macross being mentioned.  I'd only ever seen the one isolated mention of a successor craft (no art) designated SF-5X.  Nor had I heard of an official setting design named "Hound Dog".

So I was well and truly lost until it occurred to me that it might be one of the unused designs conceived during the development of the original series... and lo and behold, there it was in the bottom left corner of page 242 of Macross: Perfect Memory.  It is named "Hound Dog" (ハウンド・ドーグ) but it's not designated SF-1.  It's described as a "Stratosphere+Space Fighter" (成層圏+宇宙戦闘機), and it's noted that the design is a final draft that was not included in the main story.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

2 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Er.... zip lines?

Oh yeah...I can just imagine how that would work out:

2141129427_BasaraZipCrashFinal.jpg.e3271abcb3854517dc89c09dd96817a1.jpg

Your mind's ear can really hear the hollow "thud" followed by the wet fingers-on-glass noise of him descending the side of the VF-19...

6 hours ago, amegari_hikaru said:

Hello everyone: 

I have a couple of questions about emigrant fleets.  Is there any information on which was the last of the emigrant fleets that was launched from The Earth (Solar System)?  Is there any kind of emigrant ship in between the City Class and the Island Cluster Class? Can the Macross 11 main colonization shio (the one that appears in episode 25 of Frontier) be considered an Intermediate? (It is seen next to an environment type ship similar to the one seen in the Frontier fleet). 

Kind regards.

Juan.

There is also the Island Jackpot From Macross Delta, that while simply being a smaller version of the Island One City Ship from Macross Frontier it is kind of a intermediate city ship design. That is what I used it for in my fanfiction stories. It could also be a sort of early Second Generation Colony Ship Design (i.e Macross 1 to Macross 5).

... OK, I have to admit you managed to actually stump me a good ten, maybe fifteen, minutes there.

(Seriously, a full on "Perhaps the archives are incomplete" moment...)

It's the designation that threw me.  Until now, I'd never heard of a predecessor to the SF-3A Lancer II from Super Dimension Fortress Macross being mentioned.  I'd only ever seen the one isolated mention of a successor craft (no art) designated SF-5X.  Nor had I heard of an official setting design named "Hound Dog".

So I was well and truly lost until it occurred to me that it might be one of the unused designs conceived during the development of the original series... and lo and behold, there it was in the bottom left corner of page 242 of Macross: Perfect Memory.  It is named "Hound Dog" (ハウンド・ドーグ) but it's not designated SF-1.  It's described as a "Stratosphere+Space Fighter" (成層圏+宇宙戦闘機), and it's noted that the design is a final draft that was not included in the main story.

Got it, thanks!

14 hours ago, deathzealot said:

There is also the Island Jackpot From Macross Delta, that while simply being a smaller version of the Island One City Ship from Macross Frontier it is kind of a intermediate city ship design. That is what I used it for in my fanfiction stories.

So... the Island Jackpot is a bit of a sticky wicket in and of itself.

Despite being a reuse of the Macross Frontier series CG model for Island-1, albeit scaled down and with a new interior texture, it seems to have been intended as a stand-in for one of the very earliest City-class emigrant ships built before the armored "shell" was added to the design like those that accompanied the Macross 1 fleet.

For what it's worth, the Macross 1 and Macross 2 are the only ones from that period not accounted for in terms of an established settlement.  Macross 3 settled Eden 3 in 2040 before being forced to abandon it, Macross 4 settled Sephira, and we know Macross 5 was built with a shell and settled on Lux before being destroyed.

14 hours ago, deathzealot said:

It could also be a sort of early Second Generation Colony Ship Design (i.e Macross 1 to Macross 5).

The City-class, in all of its various permutations, was a 3rd Generation emigrant ship design.

1st Generation: Megaroad-class

2nd Generation: ?  Possibly the converted Zentradi ships used in short-distance emigrant fleets

3rd Generation: City-class

4th Generation: Mainland-class?

5th Generation: Island Cluster-class

12 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

For what it's worth, the Macross 1 and Macross 2 are the only ones from that period not accounted for in terms of an established settlement.  Macross 3 settled Eden 3 in 2040 before being forced to abandon it, Macross 4 settled Sephira, and we know Macross 5 was built with a shell and settled on Lux before being destroyed.

Eden 3? Is that the same Eden as Macross Plus, or since the Macross 3 abandoned it, are we talking about a different Eden?

3 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

Eden 3? Is that the same Eden as Macross Plus, or since the Macross 3 abandoned it, are we talking about a different Eden?

It is, in fact, a different Eden.

Turns out the One Steve Limit isn't rigidly enforced when it comes to naming planets?

Makes you wonder if there's an Eden 2 out there.

I can see the emigration advert now:  EDEN 2: EDEN HARDER

Edited by Seto Kaiba

4 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

First appeared in the PS1 game VF-X2.  In the same star system as planet Eden.

http://sdfyodogawa.mywebcommunity.org/Stats/Locations/Eden.php

(green text is official setting/canon).