Super Macross Mecha Fun Time Discussion Thread!

Valkyrie Driver

It's important to recognize what Seto means by amount of time engines can deliver maximum thrust though. In space they do not have to constantly run the engines, they only need bursts of thrusts to change their vectors or accelerate and decelerate, and not always at max power.

So a VF-1 could operate longer in space if the pilot is careful. Of course in a battle that can be difficult sometimes. Recall in episode 6 of Macross Delta Hayate in a VF-31J with super parts actually did run out of fuel because he wasn't being efficient or paying attention, but others were still doing alright. 

1 hour ago, pengbuzz said:

On the note of operating time: I wonder how Gundam manages it?

Magic... Or whatever they are calling their made up particle physics in each show. I don't follow too many but I know some literally invented fake physics to excuse certain things. 

1 hour ago, Master Dex said:

Magic... Or whatever they are calling their made up particle physics in each show. I don't follow too many but I know some literally invented fake physics to excuse certain things. 

So much for being a real robot show...

3 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Right; the VF-1 was intended to operate in-atmosphere IIRC, where it could draw reactants from the air. That must have made most battles in SDFM pretty short!

Not reactants, just propellant.

Thermonuclear reactors in Macross are extremely efficient in terms of fuel consumption and energy generation because they use the gravity produced by heavy quantum for fuel compression and plasma confinement.  It requires relatively little energy to maintain the compression once it's established so the reactor's own energy requirement is low and its compression can achieve MUCH higher fusion temperatures than most modern reactor using electromagnetic fields or lasers can.  Operating temperatures inside of the engine's compact thermonuclear reactor can exceed 400 million degrees Kelvin.  With such high compression and high temperatures, very little plasma is needed to flash-heat air passing through the engine to produce thrust, and consequently very little plasma needs to be introduced to the reactor to keep the reaction going.  This allows VFs to operate for several hundred hours in atmosphere because the amount of fuel needed to keep the reactor running and sustain flight is very low since intake air is used to produce thrust.

In space, the fuel efficiency of the engine is poor because the plasma produced in the reaction is used in place of air as a propellant to produce thrust... leading to the engine consuming its fuel thousands of times faster.

To give you an idea, based on Master File's numbers, the VF-1's atmospheric flight fuel consumption rate is 0.28ml/sec per engine.  In space, it's closer to 1,175ml/sec at maximum thrust.

Consequently, yeah... the VF-1s seldom strayed very far from the Macross prior to the introduction of the Super Pack.  Master File introduced a few interim solutions which were allegedly used to bolster the VF-1's internal fuel tanks during the war, like fuel bladders inserted into the intakes.

On the note of operating time: I wonder how Gundam manages it?

In most Gundam titles - the only exception that leaps to mind is Gundam 00 - the fuel(s) consumed by the reactor and the propellant used for flight propulsion are different and separate.

I know that, in the Universal Century, Mobile Suits use compact thermonuclear reactors that consume deuterium and helium-3 for energy generation and to direct-drive the primary joints in the Mobile Suit's limbs.  Main flight propulsion is often presented as a monopropellant thermal rocket system that flash-heats a liquid fuel using heat from the reactor so that it explosively expands out of an exhaust nozzle to generate thrust.  Using Minovsky particles to compress the reactor fuel provides similar benefits to what heavy quantum in the Macross setting does, albeit with more drawbacks.

Of course, they're not made for long-duration space operations or high linear speeds, so much of their propellant consumption is producing sudden bursts of acceleration and in turning.

31 minutes ago, aurance said:

Seto (or anyone with the Master File), any further detail about the rear-facing gun on the AX, other than it’s for rear defense?

Not really... most of the attention goes to the beam gunpod and the new railguns, armaments-wise.

59 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Not reactants, just propellant.

Thermonuclear reactors in Macross are extremely efficient in terms of fuel consumption and energy generation because they use the gravity produced by heavy quantum for fuel compression and plasma confinement.  It requires relatively little energy to maintain the compression once it's established so the reactor's own energy requirement is low and its compression can achieve MUCH higher fusion temperatures than most modern reactor using electromagnetic fields or lasers can.  Operating temperatures inside of the engine's compact thermonuclear reactor can exceed 400 million degrees Kelvin.  With such high compression and high temperatures, very little plasma is needed to flash-heat air passing through the engine to produce thrust, and consequently very little plasma needs to be introduced to the reactor to keep the reaction going.  This allows VFs to operate for several hundred hours in atmosphere because the amount of fuel needed to keep the reactor running and sustain flight is very low since intake air is used to produce thrust.

In space, the fuel efficiency of the engine is poor because the plasma produced in the reaction is used in place of air as a propellant to produce thrust... leading to the engine consuming its fuel thousands of times faster.

To give you an idea, based on Master File's numbers, the VF-1's atmospheric flight fuel consumption rate is 0.28ml/sec per engine.  In space, it's closer to 1,175ml/sec at maximum thrust.

Consequently, yeah... the VF-1s seldom strayed very far from the Macross prior to the introduction of the Super Pack.  Master File introduced a few interim solutions which were allegedly used to bolster the VF-1's internal fuel tanks during the war, like fuel bladders inserted into the intakes.

In most Gundam titles - the only exception that leaps to mind is Gundam 00 - the fuel(s) consumed by the reactor and the propellant used for flight propulsion are different and separate.

I know that, in the Universal Century, Mobile Suits use compact thermonuclear reactors that consume deuterium and helium-3 for energy generation and to direct-drive the primary joints in the Mobile Suit's limbs.  Main flight propulsion is often presented as a monopropellant thermal rocket system that flash-heats a liquid fuel using heat from the reactor so that it explosively expands out of an exhaust nozzle to generate thrust.  Using Minovsky particles to compress the reactor fuel provides similar benefits to what heavy quantum in the Macross setting does, albeit with more drawbacks.

Of course, they're not made for long-duration space operations or high linear speeds, so much of their propellant consumption is producing sudden bursts of acceleration and in turning.

Not really... most of the attention goes to the beam gunpod and the new railguns, armaments-wise.

Ah, my mistake. Thanks for the clarification.

4 hours ago, Master Dex said:

Gundam has a lot of "magic" particles.

But yes, in Gundam, they are not blasting their rockets at full burn. Otherwise, those would be some really short fights, and very long engagements (lots of scope shooting). At least in the UC, mobile suits also use base jabbers to fly around and close the distance (whom are also not running their rockets at full burn either).

So much for being a real robot show...

"Real" went out the door as soon as a 16-year old was able to pilot a robot only using the instruction manual binder as a guide.

1 hour ago, NightmarePlus said:

So what do you guys think L.A.I would have done to improve the VF-25 in the post-Vajra War? 

My opinion that what would improve the VF-25 would be to replace its gunpod with a beam based gunpod, like the LU-18 of the VF-31 or LU-22 of the VF-31X/AX. Heck, even the gunpod of the SV-262 would work. Mr Kawamori designed the VF-25 to work with super or Armored Packs for heavier firepower. The VF-25 has 6 underwing and 2 hard points on the wing root. It can very quickly turn into a missile or bomb truck with 3 gun pods mounted for extended firepower.

Twich

Edited by twich

So what do you guys think L.A.I would have done to improve the VF-25 in the post-Vajra War? 

Probably not much, considering it was such a solid design it had the moniker as the "Varja Killer," so it had both the power and speed for potential colonies and fleets. At most I can see just general improvements on the design, like the VF-14D and VF-19F were to their initial production runs.

L.A.I.?  A lot of their contribution to the VF-25 was electronics.  I'd assume there've probably been incremental improvements (either software or hardware) made to the various radars and other sensors, as well as software improvements to the ARIEL II airframe control AI "Brunhilde".

Overall, I'd expect there to be a lot of little updates here and there between blocks to address issues and improve overall reliability.  Maybe some minor improvements to the output of the FF-3001A engines and the buffer capacity of the ISC.  The big one I could really see them going for would be making a beam gunpod a standard feature for space operations.

Ah my mistake, i thought L.A.I's part in developing the 25 went a little beyond the electronics.

Development of the VF-25 was a joint venture between the Macross Frontier fleet's local branches of Shinsei Industry, L.A.I., and the Macross Frontier fleet arsenal.

(It's also worth noting that basically everything that isn't a weapon, engine, or structural/armor piece is electronics... so L.A.I.'s contribution was quite substantial, and refinements to things like the airframe control AI, sensors, and esp. the L.A.I.-manufactured Inertia Store Converter can have a HUGE impact on performance.)

Hey Seto, I’m going to ask a favor and abuse your keyboard…

Can you please go into the various Fold Wave Systems, Fold Reheat etc. and explain what makes one better than another? I’m getting confused because my brain doesn’t have enough folds to comprehend all the Folding systems being discussed here. 

And thanks for the VF-31AX MF translation! I rather like how, when it comes to Xaos, the words of the day were still “cheap and quick.”

1 hour ago, Sildani said:

Hey Seto, I’m going to ask a favor and abuse your keyboard…

Can you please go into the various Fold Wave Systems, Fold Reheat etc. and explain what makes one better than another? I’m getting confused because my brain doesn’t have enough folds to comprehend all the Folding systems being discussed here. 

Okie-dokie!  I'm bored AF anyway.  It's that once-quarterly Agile planning period called Big Room Planning and I've got ****-all to do until tomorrow because of how far downstream of the requirements activity my organization is. :rofl: 

EDIT: On the other hand, today brought me what might be my favorite worst mental image yet. "The anatomically-incorrect Halloween skeleton for a biblically accurate angel."  I am horrified enough by what this would look like that I would probably buy one just to annoy my brother.

So... the actual origins of the Fold Wave System are a bit mysterious still.  We know the technology originated in the Macross Frontier emigrant fleet as part of the YF-29 program.  The remarks in Variable Fighter Master File: VF-31AX Kairos Plus seem to suggest that the the Fold Wave System is a convergence of two or perhaps three distinct lines of research.  First is the work of Dr. Mao Nome into fold wave theory and fold quartz, sponsored by Critical Path and possibly having culminated in the so-called "Manfred Thesis" on the applications of fold quartz in the late 2040s or early 2050s.  Second is the work of Dr. Gadget M. Chiba in codifying first the Song Energy hypothesis and then his Unified Fold Wave Theory.  Lastly, it may also have developed out of the ancient knowledge and practices of the Windermerean people, who Master File alleges used to specifically wear fold quartz jewelry and create all manner of arrangements and alignments specifically to produce resonant amplification effects.

The Fold Wave System (Macross Frontier/YF-29 version)

Developed by engineers in the Macross Frontier emigrant fleet during the Vajra conflict, the Fold Wave System uses four 1,000 carat-class ultra-high purity pieces of fold quartz to detect, analyze, and amplify fold waves.  This basic function allows it to do three things:

• Act as a fold wave sensor.
  • Amplify fold waves with synergistic effect to improve the performance of the Valkyrie's thermonuclear reaction engines beyond the normal operational limit.  Exactly how is poorly understood, but probably involves improving the operation of the Gravity and Inertia Controller inside the compact thermonuclear reactor to allow it to run at higher temperatures and pressures both inside the reactor and inside the turbine.  It's believed that it also improves the function of the Inertia Store Converter and potentially any dimensional beam weapons the Valkyrie may be carrying as well.
  • Use fold wave resonance to draw energy directly from higher dimensional space, providing the Valkyrie with an inexhaustible power source that can allow it to run energy intensive systems that would normally be mode-dependent in ALL modes.

Macross 30 and Macross Delta materials imply the YF-29 is extremely impractical to reproduce because the necessary size and purity of fold quartz to build the Fold Wave System borders on impossible to find.  Master File came right out and said it, indicating the original YF-29's Fold Wave System can't be reproduced because the fold quartz needed is just not obtainable and using smaller and/or lower-quality fold quartz reduces the system's performance.  One additional detail mentioned is that the YF-29's Fold Wave System does not require an external fold wave source to activate, it can be forcibly activated.

The Fold Dimensional Resonance System (SMS Uroboros/YF-30)

Developed by SMS Uroboros in partnership with Shinsei Industry and LAI, the YF-30's Fold Dimensional Resonance system is an improved version of the YF-29's Fold Wave System with one additional function: it can allow the YF-30 to independently traverse fold faults and the dimensional fault barriers used in realspace by the Protoculture and Vajra.  Exact details of its operation are a mystery.

The Fold Wave System (Xaos Valkyrie Works/VF-31 Siegfried version)

A reduced-capability version of the YF-29's Fold Wave System adopted by Xaos Valkyrie Works on their custom VF-31 "Siegfried" used exclusively by Delta Flight.  It uses less, and less pure, fold quartz and as a result the performance improvement it offers is much lower.  It still has the same functions as the YF-29's version, but the reduction in performance was enough to permit more than one system to be manufactured.  Master File alleges that its use of (relatively) lower quality fold quartz (compared to the YF-29) prevents it from being activated at will.  A strong external source of fold waves (e.g. Freyja or Mikumo) is required to trigger activation of the system.  When active, it provides a 15% improvement in engine output over the maximum, but with rough handling this can overstress the VF-31 Siegfried's airframe and cause damage.

The Fold Reheat System (Windermere Royal Aviation Factory/Sv-262 version)

Another take on a reduced-capacity version of the Fold Wave System.  Master File seems to imply that this was potentially something developed by the Windermereans based on their own unique and centuries-old understanding of fold quartz resonance effects.  It lacks the ability to serve as a fold wave detector and amplifier and it cannot carry out fold dimensional energy conversion to provide the Sv-262 with power.  Its one and only function is to provide a short but substantial improvement of the Sv-262's engine output.  By dedicating itself to that one area, it produces an improvement almost double that of the VF-31 Siegfried's Fold Wave System (25% on the Ba type, 30% on the Hs type) and it can apparently be mass produced.  If the Macross Delta TV series is any indication, sustained use of the Fold Reheat can cause damage to the Sv-262.

The Twin Quartz Drive (Windermere Royal Aviation Factory/Sv-303 version)

All info is per Master File.  An improved version of the Sv-262's Fold Reheat.  It has higher output improvement and longer continuous operating time than the Fold Reheat system on the Sv-262.  It was developed for the manned Sv-300 and later adopted by the unmanned Sv-303 where it was used to run the drone's overtuned engines in "overdrive" mode constantly.  This had some negative consequences for engine durability, to the extent that engines were only good a few sorties before requiring replacement.

1 hour ago, Sildani said:

And thanks for the VF-31AX MF translation! I rather like how, when it comes to Xaos, the words of the day were still “cheap and quick.”

Needs must as the devil drives and all that... 

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Fascinating stuff. Many thanks. I appreciate the new MF saying that Frontier’s YF-29A was a one-off and repaired after Alto flew it into the ground. I’d say Isamu can fly it now, since he’s now SMS and he can generally return after a mission with a Valkyrie that can be used again. 

Oh, and as for the question of who’d win a dogfight, Max or Isamu… luck is one of Isamu’s skills. 

Hmm… I suppose there’s not much left to cover. This MF has crowned the YF-30 Chronos the Bestest Variable Fighter (tech and mobility) and the YF-29 the Strongest Variable Fighter (sheer offensive power, if you can afford it) and the 300 Series the Return of Sharon Apple-Lite with some really intriguing ideas. He may have had an eyeglass fetish, but Roid might have been a bit ahead of his time. 

How important are manned Valkyries to the “three pillars” of Macross I wonder? As real military aircraft become optionally-or-unmanned, will Macross follow suit?

18 minutes ago, Sildani said:

Hmm… I suppose there’s not much left to cover. This MF has crowned the YF-30 Chronos the Bestest Variable Fighter (tech and mobility) and the YF-29 the Strongest Variable Fighter (sheer offensive power, if you can afford it) and the 300 Series the Return of Sharon Apple-Lite with some really intriguing ideas. He may have had an eyeglass fetish, but Roid might have been a bit ahead of his time. 

It'll be interesting to see where they go from here with new Valkyries in whatever the next series ends up being.

18 minutes ago, Sildani said:

How important are manned Valkyries to the “three pillars” of Macross I wonder? As real military aircraft become optionally-or-unmanned, will Macross follow suit?

Relatively important, I think... since the main characters are almost invariably pilots in some capacity.  

Macross - like the real world - rapidly walked back the idea that the 5th Generation was to be the "Last Manned Fighter[s]".  I don't think we're in any danger of unmanned fighters becoming the norm anytime soon in the real world or in Macross.  

10 hours ago, Sildani said:

I appreciate the new MF saying that Frontier’s YF-29A was a one-off and repaired after Alto flew it into the ground. I’d say Isamu can fly it now, since he’s now SMS and he can generally return after a mission with a Valkyrie that can be used again. 

As if the man would wanna fly anything that's not a VF-19, lol. I know there's a YF-29 with "Isamu colors, but let the joke play out

9 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Macross - like the real world - rapidly walked back the idea that the 5th Generation was to be the "Last Manned Fighter[s]".  I don't think we're in any danger of unmanned fighters becoming the norm anytime soon in the real world or in Macross.  

A bit more interested on how would the transformation look for the new designs. I don't think we're gonna go back to the more rounder and/or bulky design aesthetic from Plus/7, and Delta's designs were very derivative of Frontiers as much as I prefer the latter's designs overall.

My only hope for the next series is that they don't focus on a PMC group again

Yeah; it would be nice to focus on just UN Spacy.

On that note: I wonder how long we're going to be subjected to "NUNS" and that stupid swirly logo before they go back to just UN Spacy and the original kite. It's not like the war with HG is still going on.

As far as for the next series, I can see two directions.  One is quite limiting, the other could be quite broad.  The last 2 series seemed to focus on this mythical substance called fold quartz.  The creators also kinda painted themselves into a corner with this, as they immediately say that the substance is very hard to come by in such pure quantity and also the size is limited.  Just think of the YF-29 Durandal.  4, 1000 carat high purity fold quartz chunks that can only be found in the remains of a semi-queen or full queen.  Either the next valkyries will not have much fold quartz in them, ala the VF-25 or VF-27, or the series will be set in a future where humanity has gained the ability to fabricate their own fold quartz in size and purity, that YF-29 levels of the substance are quite common place.

The creators could just throw a cannon ball and focus on a series where the VF-4 or the VF-14/VF-11 are the main focus.  I would not mind seeing a DX VF-4, VF-11, VF-14!

Twich

2 hours ago, Sildani said:

And a million yaoi fans cry out with glee…

Nah, you won't whip the fujoshi into a furor with two tops (seme)... you need at least one bottom (uke) in the equation before they'll get excited.

(Oh the things you learn dating fellow anime hobbyists... :rofl: )

Same.  Or, at least, make the PMC the villains the way they so often are in reality.  

The whole "hypercompetent heroic PMC" schtick was already a little stale when Macross Frontier did it, though at least they tried to make SMS seem superficially shady at times.  It had crossed the line into being an awful cliche by the time Macross Delta was made, and it didn't help that Macross Delta openly acknowledged that Xaos personnel were unlawful combatants in a declared war the same way real mercenaries would be.

Hopefully real world influence will push PMCs out of the spotlight in Macross.  There's been an awful lot of news about war crimes committed by PMCs in the last year.

36 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

On that note: I wonder how long we're going to be subjected to "NUNS" and that stupid swirly logo before they go back to just UN Spacy and the original kite. It's not like the war with HG is still going on.

Probably indefinitely.

Kawamori et. al. seem to have taken the view that the events of Macross VF-X2 led to a major reorganization of the government and military which will likely remain in place going forward.  

IIRC, they've denied that HG had anything to do with the change in the military's insignia.  

8 minutes ago, twich said:

As far as for the next series, I can see two directions.  One is quite limiting, the other could be quite broad.  The last 2 series seemed to focus on this mythical substance called fold quartz.  The creators also kinda painted themselves into a corner with this, as they immediately say that the substance is very hard to come by in such pure quantity and also the size is limited.  Just think of the YF-29 Durandal.  4, 1000 carat high purity fold quartz chunks that can only be found in the remains of a semi-queen or full queen.  Either the next valkyries will not have much fold quartz in them, ala the VF-25 or VF-27, or the series will be set in a future where humanity has gained the ability to fabricate their own fold quartz in size and purity, that YF-29 levels of the substance are quite common place.

The creators could just throw a cannon ball and focus on a series where the VF-4 or the VF-14/VF-11 are the main focus.  I would not mind seeing a DX VF-4, VF-11, VF-14!

My suspicion is that we'll see them go somewhere else in the galaxy during the reign of 5th Generation VFs and see some other government's new 5th Gen fighter.

41 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Nah, you won't whip the fujoshi into a furor with two tops (seme)... you need at least one bottom (uke) in the equation before they'll get excited.

(Oh the things you learn dating fellow anime hobbyists... :rofl: )

Same.  Or, at least, make the PMC the villains the way they so often are in reality.  

The whole "hypercompetent heroic PMC" schtick was already a little stale when Macross Frontier did it, though at least they tried to make SMS seem superficially shady at times.  It had crossed the line into being an awful cliche by the time Macross Delta was made, and it didn't help that Macross Delta openly acknowledged that Xaos personnel were unlawful combatants in a declared war the same way real mercenaries would be.

Hopefully real world influence will push PMCs out of the spotlight in Macross.  There's been an awful lot of news about war crimes committed by PMCs in the last year.

Probably indefinitely.

Kawamori et. al. seem to have taken the view that the events of Macross VF-X2 led to a major reorganization of the government and military which will likely remain in place going forward.  

IIRC, they've denied that HG had anything to do with the change in the military's insignia.  

My suspicion is that we'll see them go somewhere else in the galaxy during the reign of 5th Generation VFs and see some other government's new 5th Gen fighter.

I love the designs of the VF-25, VF-27 and VF-31. I would love to see some other fleet’s interpretation of the redacted VF-24 design that the New UN Spacy transmitted to everyone outside of Earth.

Twich

15 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

It'll be interesting to see where they go from here with new Valkyries in whatever the next series ends up being.

Me thinks ,for now, short flicks like the latest Frontier,Labyrinth Of Time. If only to milk more  Walkure  concerts and merch. And there's still more Frontier to milk.. personal, I too would rather a more NUNS focused story, going back to the VF-4 , VF-11 or even the VF-171. 
I wonder if an OVA would be considered.

2 hours ago, twich said:

The last 2 series seemed to focus on this mythical substance called fold quartz.  The creators also kinda painted themselves into a corner with this, as they immediately say that the substance is very hard to come by in such pure quantity and also the size is limited.

Agreed. They could do with Fold Quartz not  being the main focus, or so necessary for the singer(s) and plot.  

4 hours ago, NightmarePlus said:

Yes indeed!

4 hours ago, NightmarePlus said:

Oh no, that's old trends. It's now all about high schoolers in corporate high schools doing Valk battle simulations until a war break..oh wait...

45 minutes ago, azrael said:

Oh no, that's old trends. It's now all about high schoolers in corporate high schools doing Valk battle simulations until a war break..oh wait...

oh wait... Is this something that I know ?

On 1/8/2023 at 4:08 AM, Seto Kaiba said:

The VF-4 has only appeared in a few Macross games to date:

• Macross: Eternal Love Song - which largely predates Kawamori's transformation design for the VF-4 and created a very different version of the VF-4 with a VF-1-like Battroid, a large beam rifle, super pack, and funnels.
  • Macross Digital Mission VF-X - very brief appearance in opening animation in Fighter mode only.
  • Macross M3 - appeared in the opening animation in Fighter mode only.
  • Macross VOXP - gameplay only
  • Macross Ultimate Frontier - gameplay only

Actually one more game: The PS2: Super Dimension Fortress Macross game. You can unlocked it once you finished the game unknown.png
And this is another pic when I unlocked the VE-1 after the patrol missionunknown.png

57 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Me thinks ,for now, short flicks like the latest Frontier,Labyrinth Of Time. If only to milk more  Walkure  concerts and merch.

Time will tell if Walkure's impact on the franchise will match that of Sheryl Nome or Ranka Lee... but I suspect we will not be seeing people clamoring for them to come back the way people have for Frontier's idols.

All in all, I suspect we've probably seen the last of Walkure in animation since Absolute Live!!!!!!...

Spoiler

... killed off Freyja Wion, who was arguably the group's main girl and inarguably the only one to receive any actual character development.

4 minutes ago, Gendo Koun said:

oh wait... Is this something that I know ?

It's a jab at Mobile Suit Gundam: the Witch from Mercury... which a lot of folks think is either painfully mediocre or just plain bad.

2 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

It's a jab at Mobile Suit Gundam: the Witch from Mercury... which a lot of folks think is either painfully mediocre or just plain bad.

I really enjoying it, great sound design, smooth combat and the storytelling is good, not heavy and boring like other Gundam I started with 

9 hours ago, Bolt said:

Do does the RC-4E have proper, wheeled landing gear, or does it hop around the hangar on its big bunny feet?

The RC-4E seems to be intended mainly, if not exclusively, for use in space given how much is said about the amount of propellant it carries and that the "feet" it has are mentioned to be its landing gear.

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

The RC-4E seems to be intended mainly, if not exclusively, for use in space given how much is said about the amount of propellant it carries and that the "feet" it has are mentioned to be its landing gear.

Right. But then is it moved around for maintenance and launching by a launch arm-like appendage? I realize that information may not be present. But , under normal operations, surely it would be moved around. Just loading and unloading from whatever launch bay it may use, would ( i think) necessitate the Rabbit to be moved within a pressurized (as well as vacuum) environment..🤷

3 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Right. But then is it moved around for maintenance and launching by a launch arm-like appendage? I realize that information may not be present. But , under normal operations, surely it would be moved around. Just loading and unloading from whatever launch bay it may use, would ( i think) necessitate the Rabbit to be moved within a pressurized (as well as vacuum) environment..🤷

Possibly.  It's not said if there are rollers or some other concession to towing it or moving it across the deck.  Given that they mention the landing gear/feet it has are mainly meant for emergency landings and parking, I'd assume there's some external mechanism or vehicle to move it onto and off of the deck.