Super Macross Mecha Fun Time Discussion Thread!

Valkyrie Driver

On 3/3/2022 at 10:49 AM, Seto Kaiba said:

Given that the New UN Forces are using twenty or so factory satellites to produce hundreds of warships a year and not using anywhere near the full capacity of those facilities, I'd assume that the individual factory satellites set up to manufacture warships are likely producing them at a pretty respectable clip.  The rate probably goes down the larger and more complex the ships get, but I'd assume that warship factories are likely churning out hundreds of ships a year.

Edited by pengbuzz

Battroid mode for a variable fighter was implemented to fight macronized Zentraedi in hand to hand combat, but post Space War 1 with most Zentraedi bar the occasional rouge fleet living peacefully with humanity which would not result in a need to usually fight macronized Zentraedi bar a rogue fleet, so why do variable fighters post Space War 1 have Battroid mode?

Mainly cause "rogue fleets" are a cosmic existential threat to galactic civilization, not a sometimes bothersome bully who lives nearby.

Also it turned out Battroid was useful for fighting other things. If it worked why not keep using it.

4 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

Because unlike Fighter or even Gerwalk modes, Battroid scan turn to follow an enemy while firing much quicker, given the smaller turning radius it needs in order to do so. Additionally, in land/ surface environs, the ability to move upon that with humanoid-like ability is invaluable in combat situations, as well as use the strength in its' arm and leg actuators for combat. Battroid mode has a wide array of versatility in combat which has proven invaluable time and again.

Ah, I see. So something meant for one thing that proved useful for other things.

8 hours ago, cheemingwan1234 said:

Battroid mode for a variable fighter was implemented to fight macronized Zentraedi in hand to hand combat, but post Space War 1 with most Zentraedi bar the occasional rouge fleet living peacefully with humanity which would not result in a need to usually fight macronized Zentraedi bar a rogue fleet, so why do variable fighters post Space War 1 have Battroid mode?

Even after the First Space War ended, the Zentradi are still very much the #1 threat to the New Unification Government.

The Zentradi Boddole Zer main fleet that was defeated over Earth in 2010 only lost its flagship and around half of its total fighting strength, with ~3 million surviving warships from the Boddole Zer main fleet scattered across tens of thousands of light years of space.  On top of that, there are somewhere between 2,000 and 3,000 other Zentradi main fleets just like the Boddole Zer main fleet active in the galaxy.  Each of those main fleets has thousands of branch fleets and other scouting forces scattered across thousands of light years of space in the pursuit of the Supervision Army that also pose a threat to any emigrant ships or planets they may stumble across.  

As if that weren't bad enough, there is also the question of Zentradi terrorism within the New UN Government's sphere of influence.

Even if we were only looking at the use Battroids have as a means to fight the Zentradi, they are still very necessary.

They have many other advantages too, in terms of making it easier to navigate infrastructure designed for Zentradi use, in various kinds of heavy labor (esp. space construction work), and for the unconventional forms of maneuverability they offer in air combat.  Plus their uses against other, similarly large opponents like the Vajra, the Dyaus, and enemy VFs.

1 hour ago, Zethus said:

Windermere? 

For hostile VFs?  Not just Windermere.  Armed anti-government movements with widely varying MOs and goals quickly became a thing in the early years of space emigration.  There are a number of (offscreen) civil wars on various emigrant planets that led to the 4th Generation VFs being designed for stealth insertions behind enemy lines to end such wars with minimal casualties, anti-government terrorist movements like those suppressed by Max and Milia's Dancing Skulls special forces team, Zentradi rebel groups like the organization Struggle also faced by the Dancing Skulls, paramilitary organizations like Black Rainbow and Vindirance, armed criminals like the whale poachers in Macross Dynamite 7, and space pirates like the Bandits on Uroboros in Macross 30.  

• 2 weeks later...

So, there is a guy in the Macross Fan Central group stating that: 

Variable Fighter Master File VF-1 Valkyrie Vol. 1, pg. 45, 

I've done some reading on this and according to official sources, the two bumps are sensors on the original VF-1 series before the SDF-1 left earth. Sometime very shortly thereafter the sensors are removed and replaced by lasers.

Given that I cannot read the Kanji to verify this, how best should one respond?

2 hours ago, Knight26 said:

So, there is a guy in the Macross Fan Central group stating that: 

Variable Fighter Master File VF-1 Valkyrie Vol. 1, pg. 45, 

I've done some reading on this and according to official sources, the two bumps are sensors on the original VF-1 series before the SDF-1 left earth. Sometime very shortly thereafter the sensors are removed and replaced by lasers.

Given that I cannot read the Kanji to verify this, how best should one respond?

I see "Macross Fan Central" continues its downward spiral apace since they started to ban anyone who knew more than the group admins or actually cited sources.  Might as well rebrand as Misinformation Fan Central.

Anyhoo... no, there is nothing on the specified page about that.  Nothing even remotely resembling that, in fact.  Page 45's brief section on the ROV-20 concerns itself entirely with the lasers on the monitor turret (head) and the engineering challenges faced when integrating that system into the Valkyrie in terms of the aiming system and capacitors which provide its power.

There is a bit on page 41 under cutaway item 34 "Nose Sensor Pod" that mentions that was originally a blister for a reverse-thrust vernier that was eliminated early in the VF-1's development and replaced by a mount for a super-telephoto and infrared camera which was the standard production fixture.  It does note that mounting a laser in their place is something considered on an experimental basis for models with enhanced engines, but that's as far as it got before the idea was scrapped.  (This being Master File's nod to the animation error that showed the VF-1 firing lasers from the blisters in the original series.)

In the official setting, it's just an animation error.  The VF-1's nose blisters were originally intended as verniers but in production were used as mounts for the aforementioned high powered telephoto camera and infrared camera systems.

The only place where the laser thing is canon is the R-word series we don't talk about.

31 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I see "Macross Fan Central" continues its downward spiral apace since they started to ban anyone who knew more than the group admins or actually cited sources.  Might as well rebrand as Misinformation Fan Central.

Anyhoo... no, there is nothing on the specified page about that.  Nothing even remotely resembling that, in fact.  Page 45's brief section on the ROV-20 concerns itself entirely with the lasers on the monitor turret (head) and the engineering challenges faced when integrating that system into the Valkyrie in terms of the aiming system and capacitors which provide its power.

There is a bit on page 41 under cutaway item 34 "Nose Sensor Pod" that mentions that was originally a blister for a reverse-thrust vernier that was eliminated early in the VF-1's development and replaced by a mount for a super-telephoto and infrared camera which was the standard production fixture.  It does note that mounting a laser in their place is something considered on an experimental basis for models with enhanced engines, but that's as far as it got before the idea was scrapped.  (This being Master File's nod to the animation error that showed the VF-1 firing lasers from the blisters in the original series.)

In the official setting, it's just an animation error.  The VF-1's nose blisters were originally intended as verniers but in production were used as mounts for the aforementioned high powered telephoto camera and infrared camera systems.

The only place where the laser thing is canon is the R-word series we don't talk about.

That is what I thought, but wanted to be sure.

13 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

I recall that as well (the r-word statement) as well as seeing that clip in the animation. As for "Macross Fan Central", I departed that group some time ago due to some issues (with what you mentioned being part of that).

I really wish people would stop letting their blasted egos run their groups and sites; we have precious few Macross sites anymore as it is.

It's leftover bad blood from the days when MacrossWorld was a rougher community than it is now.

Some people just aren't ready to let go of that animosity, even though Macross's main themes are pretty darn clear about that being a bad idea.

(Hell, some of the guys I used to fight like cats and dogs with on here back in the day I'm now on quite friendly terms with.)

13 hours ago, Knight26 said:

That is what I thought, but wanted to be sure.

On an interesting side note, the aforementioned countervernier system is indicated to have been deemed unnecessary and replaced with sensors because its function could be adequately delivered by the other verniers on the airframe.

Master File does some bizarre things with the VF-1 later on, like adding more powerful or just more sensors of that type.  It starts to get weird in the Squadrons book.

I have a question about the UUM7 Missile Pod... What type of missile can be mounted on it? only the HMM-01? because I was looking for pictures to made some modeling practise in Blender and found some schematics with another type of missile named NP-AR-01 and I'm now confused. 

HMM01.png

NPAR01.png

uum-7-micromissilepod.gif

UUM7.png

4 hours ago, Gerli said:

I have a question about the UUM7 Missile Pod... What type of missile can be mounted on it? only the HMM-01?

Yes, only the HMM-01.

4 hours ago, Gerli said:

because I was looking for pictures to made some modeling practise in Blender and found some schematics with another type of missile named NP-AR-01 and I'm now confused. 

HMM01.png

NPAR01.png

So... someone did a bad bad cropping job there.

That's page 49 of Variable Fighter Master File: VF-1 Valkyrie Vol.1, and there's actually an arrow to the left of that square and more text to the right.

You see, NP-AR-01 is not the name of the missile in question... it's the designation of the forearm-mounted part of the VF-1 Valkyrie's Super Pack.  The missile used therein hasn't been consistently designated, usually only being referred to as "Micro Missile for NP-AR-01" and occasionally alleged to be either a derivative of the GH-32 or GA-100.  I believe it has occasionally been assumed that it is a GA-100 variant in many fanmade RPG stats, since the GBP-1S Armored Pack uses the GA-100 in its forearm launchers as well.

Macross Pilot suits: http://sdfyodogawa.mywebcommunity.org/Stats/Statistics/Flightsuits/Flightsuits.php#FSGeneral

I finally found the time to update this.  In short, adding scans of the TSV-62 Mk.I and TSX-62 (from the VFMF books), and so on and so forth.

However, while working on the Delta content, I spotted something perplexing about the Windermere pilot suits: they have some kind of electronic device on their index finger of one hand.  Was that ever shown being used in the series?

Was it even depicted at all?  (the source is Macross Delta Character Design Works, and the accompanying text is mostly the designer's comments).

Scroll down to the very bottom for what I could glean from the book about it: http://sdfyodogawa.mywebcommunity.org/Stats/Statistics/Flightsuits/Flightsuits.php#MD )

And for those that have trouble accessing my site, the gloves in question:

MdWindermereSuitGlove.jpg.21773ab2a8c312c09cc878a748f4f4a4.jpg

11 minutes ago, sketchley said:

I finally found the time to update this.  In short, adding scans of the TSV-62 Mk.I and TSX-62 (from the VFMF books), and so on and so forth.

Awesome, thanks for that. 

12 minutes ago, sketchley said:

However, while working on the Delta content, I spotted something perplexing about the Windermere pilot suits: they have some kind of electronic device on their index finger of one hand.  Was that ever shown being used in the series?

Interesting, indeed. I don't recall noticing anything like that..

4 hours ago, Bolt said:

Interesting, indeed. I don't recall noticing anything like that..

The first thing that came to mind is a pilot's finger light*.  However, I brushed that off for the same reason I didn't include finger lights in those stats: they're for map reading**, and not needed in fighters such as the F-18 and F-22 that use MFDs to display info.

* https://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/13529

** that came from a list of gear helicopter pilots in Desert Storm carried with them in their suits, if memory serves.

So, what's the glove doohickey for?  As it's only on the Windmere pilot suit, maybe it's a key fob to operate the Sv-262?  Or a controller for the pilot suit's jet pack?

7 hours ago, sketchley said:

Was it even depicted at all?  (the source is Macross Delta Character Design Works, and the accompanying text is mostly the designer's comments).

Scroll down to the very bottom for what I could glean from the book about it: http://sdfyodogawa.mywebcommunity.org/Stats/Statistics/Flightsuits/Flightsuits.php#MD )

And for those that have trouble accessing my site, the gloves in question:

MdWindermereSuitGlove.jpg.21773ab2a8c312c09cc878a748f4f4a4.jpg

Nope, I don't recall anything like that ever being used in the series... or the first movie.

2 minutes ago, Bolt said:

This was asked in another thread concerning the YF-29...

"Has anyone ever explained the shark gill pattern above the intakes?  I'm just.. tired of those being there.  What are they?"

That part is a carryover from the VF-25.

On the VF-25, that's a gunmount where the 25mm beam machine guns or 25mm high-speed machine guns are located.  The grille is presumably there to facilitate the gun's cooling system.

On the YF-29, that part seems to be one among many that is shared with the VF-25 as a result of their parallel development and common hardware.  There is no gun there, per the YF-29's stats, but the housing seems to have been carried over as a shared part.

7 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Thanks ! I copy and pasted your response to the YF-29 toy thread. Don't ask toy people about technical specs..😄

Normally the DX Chogokin toys have at least a brief bit of specs in the manual, but apparently that got left out of the Kairos Pluses and other later Delta designs.

But yeah, the YF-29 is a fun case of parallel development using shared, jointly-developed hardware... the Frontier Government kept costs down by having the YF-29 share parts with the VF-25.

2 hours ago, Bolt said:

So now SMS has Max in a YF-29. Gosh they're rich !

Xaos, but yeah... it's shocking how Xaos was basically living paycheck-to-paycheck in the TV series and ran out of money almost immediately once they were ousted from Brisingr, but in there and the movies they seem to have an infinite bank account to fund expensive custom Valkyries.

Hm... maybe those two things are connected.

Maybe the reason Xaos is flat broke is because they're spending their entire operating fund on these super-expensive ace custom Valkyries.

3 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Maybe the reason Xaos is flat broke is because they're spending their entire operating fund on these super-expensive ace custom Valkyries.

Spending too much money on valkyries? I think we can all relate to that.