Super Macross Mecha Fun Time Discussion Thread!

Valkyrie Driver

On 4/2/2021 at 9:32 PM, TehPW said:

I ran across this on my YT feed this evening...

(25) Macross Plus Reboot (FanArt) - YouTube

Intriguing to say the least... the part with the multi-missile launchers, clearly meets the fan part but... does it work?

There is also this on his page...

(25) Breaking The Sound Barrier - YouTube

There isnt much there on his page but what is there seems very exciting at the very least...

Wow...almost couldn't tell the difference between fan and OVA animation!

On another note: I wonder what's going on back on Earth about now in the Macross timeline? I know from previous convo's that environmental issues are still pervasive post-SW1 and will be for some time. Curious also if they built any other cities across from New Macross City?

(I kinda live under a rock...)

Edited by pengbuzz

13 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

On another note: I wonder what's going on back on Earth about now in the Macross timeline? I know from previous convo's that environmental issues are still pervasive post-SW1 and will be for some time. Curious also if they built any other cities across from New Macross City?

(I kinda live under a rock...)

Earth's environment is still in pretty rough shape, as noted previously, and it's going to take thousands or even tens of thousands of years of constant effort to repair it using available terraforming technology.  

There are a number of cities mentioned on Earth in the wake of the First Space War, many of them mentioned in the original Super Dimension Fortress Macross series.  The obvious big one is Macross City in Alaska near the remains of Grand Cannon I.  There's also Gante City, IIRC this is the city Hikaru visits in the episode directly following the timeskip.  Ionesco City, where Quamzin takes Minmay hostage.  Onogi City, an industrial city that Quamzin attacked to steal power condenser parts for the ship he was repairing.  Trad City, a city with a high percentage of Zentran in its population.  Highlander City, which had shades of being a showbiz town.  There were one or two others as well.  Most of the mentioned settlements in the Sol system in sequels are either "satellite cities" (massive space colonies orbiting a planet) or on other planets and moons like Gamlin's hometown of H.G. Wells City on Mars or Moon Riverside City on Luna, Miho's home town of White Flora in orbit of Jupiter, Rex's hometown of Axia Roader orbiting Earth, etc.

52 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Earth's environment is still in pretty rough shape, as noted previously, and it's going to take thousands or even tens of thousands of years of constant effort to repair it using available terraforming technology.  

There are a number of cities mentioned on Earth in the wake of the First Space War, many of them mentioned in the original Super Dimension Fortress Macross series.  The obvious big one is Macross City in Alaska near the remains of Grand Cannon I.  There's also Gante City, IIRC this is the city Hikaru visits in the episode directly following the timeskip.  Ionesco City, where Quamzin takes Minmay hostage.  Onogi City, an industrial city that Quamzin attacked to steal power condenser parts for the ship he was repairing.  Trad City, a city with a high percentage of Zentran in its population.  Highlander City, which had shades of being a showbiz town.  There were one or two others as well.  Most of the mentioned settlements in the Sol system in sequels are either "satellite cities" (massive space colonies orbiting a planet) or on other planets and moons like Gamlin's hometown of H.G. Wells City on Mars or Moon Riverside City on Luna, Miho's home town of White Flora in orbit of Jupiter, Rex's hometown of Axia Roader orbiting Earth, etc.

Thanks for the roster, Seito; on some days, my memory doesn't work so well due to TBI issues (and living under aforementioned rock!). It sounds like unless they find some alien tech out there that can greatly speed up terraforming, Earth is pretty much hosed for some time to come. I was also wondering if they developed more mecha for earthside use such as newer purpose-built destroids.

44 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

It sounds like unless they find some alien tech out there that can greatly speed up terraforming, Earth is pretty much hosed for some time to come.

They're already using some pretty fancy stuff, with large-scale atmospheric cleanup and radioactive pollution mitigation using designer bacteria.

It's gonna take a long time to restore Earth to anything like the state it was in before the war, though.

45 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

I was also wondering if they developed more mecha for earthside use such as newer purpose-built destroids.

If they have, we've heard nothing.

The closest we've seen is that a number of old model Destroids were disarmed, retrofitted, and repurposed as construction equipment in a sort of ad hoc precursor to dedicated non-military units like the Destroid Work from Macross Frontier.  

In Macross II's timeline, the civilian-use Valkyries (VC series) started out as craft intended for use in natural resource management and so on before finding their way into more diverse roles.

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

They're already using some pretty fancy stuff, with large-scale atmospheric cleanup and radioactive pollution mitigation using designer bacteria.

It's gonna take a long time to restore Earth to anything like the state it was in before the war, though.

Hmmm... better call the Yamato for the Cosmo Cleaner D. That only took a year! :lol:

*ducks*

Seriously, I get the idea though. The effects of war (namely the planetary bombardment) so thoroughly wrecked Earth that even with advanced tech, it's going to be a few hundred dozen generations before the planet is recovered. And as in another thread we were talking in, that was one of the points of Macross: war is a horrific thing and has a horrific cost. No one wanted to talk, the Unity Govt. thought they had an ace up their sleeve, next thing you know, the planet's a frickin' burrito in a microwave and millions on both sides are dead.

Just hurts to see the planet in such a condition, even in fiction. :( Guess part of me was hoping that they would find some Protoculture tech in the future that could speed it along by a millennia or two, but that would defeat the message, right?

Ever the optimist, I confess. Head in the clouds, stubbing my toes on facts.

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

The closest we've seen is that a number of old model Destroids were disarmed, retrofitted, and repurposed as construction equipment in a sort of ad hoc precursor to dedicated non-military units like the Destroid Work from Macross Frontier.  

In Macross II's timeline, the civilian-use Valkyries (VC series) started out as craft intended for use in natural resource management and so on before finding their way into more diverse roles.

Yeah, wasn't the Civ Valk the one Hibiki was in along with Dennis when they covered the Mardook attack? It didn't have a Battroid mode, no guns, and just really the armless Gerwalk setup with a huge canopy IIRC. They had specs for it in the Macross II  RPG handbook, but wasn't sure how legit or reliable those were (if at all).

Edited by pengbuzz

17 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

Yeah, wasn't the Civ Valk the one Hibiki was in along with Dennis when they covered the Mardook attack? It didn't have a Battroid mode, no guns, and just really the armless Gerwalk setup with a huge canopy IIRC. They had specs for it in the Macross II  RPG handbook, but wasn't sure how legit or reliable those were (if at all).

Yeah, that was a second-generation civilian-use Valkyrie outfitted for war reportage with cameras and such.

Like most things in the Macross II RPG, the stats were pretty much bunk.  It's definitely a unique design for Macross though, the only boxed-wing aircraft in the setting so far IIRC.

36 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Yeah, that was a second-generation civilian-use Valkyrie outfitted for war reportage with cameras and such.

Like most things in the Macross II RPG, the stats were pretty much bunk.  It's definitely a unique design for Macross though, the only boxed-wing aircraft in the setting so far IIRC.

Found these:

https://macross.fandom.com/wiki/VC-079_Civilian_Valkyrie

http://www.macross2.net/m3/macross2/vc-079-valkyrie.htm

4 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I thought the whale-hunter VF-1 in Dynamite 7 was a civilian model.

25 minutes ago, JB0 said:

I thought the whale-hunter VF-1 in Dynamite 7 was a civilian model.

He did specifically ask "for Earthside use".

The VT-1C Ostrich is just a general consumer product sold throughout the galaxy... though Graham's is more like an aftermarket conversion, apparently.  

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone remember if the VF-31 is capable of unassisted space fold? Part of me says that that was one of its distinguishing features, but another part of me is like 75% sure in that one episode of Delta that Messer folds in to save the day/die using a fold booster that jettisons before he enters the atmosphere.

9 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

Does anyone remember if the VF-31 is capable of unassisted space fold? Part of me says that that was one of its distinguishing features, but another part of me is like 75% sure in that one episode of Delta that Messer folds in to save the day/die using a fold booster that jettisons before he enters the atmosphere.

No model of VF yet presented has the ability to space fold unassisted.

Fold systems are, by necessity, somewhat large because they're using gravitational force to tie space-time in knots.  

VFs can, however, ride along inside of a larger vessel's fold effect without having to actually be physically inside of the larger ship due to the way folding works as has been seen on a number of occasions in Macross IIMacross Frontier, etc.

Messer used a fold booster, which he's shown jettisoning during reentry (seen here):

image.thumb.png.22beb226183fb0b068a8856200f022c0.png

15 hours ago, Bariaburu Faita said:

Which publications did the GBP-1A armor with beam cannons replacing the missiles appear in? I believe it was in an early 80`s anime magazine.

The only place I can recall ever seeing stuff like that was in modeling magazines showcasing kit customizations from the 90's and early 00's... specifically ones that replaced the GBP-1S thruster "backpack" with a complete NP-BP-01 booster system from the Super Pack.

(Like the one in the October 2002 issue of Model Graphix)

18 hours ago, kajnrig said:

18 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

No model of VF yet presented has the ability to space fold unassisted.

Fold systems are, by necessity, somewhat large because they're using gravitational force to tie space-time in knots.  

VFs can, however, ride along inside of a larger vessel's fold effect without having to actually be physically inside of the larger ship due to the way folding works as has been seen on a number of occasions in Macross IIMacross Frontier, etc.

Messer used a fold booster, which he's shown jettisoning during reentry (seen here):

image.thumb.png.22beb226183fb0b068a8856200f022c0.png

Also don't forget that thanks to the abilities of the Protoculture Ship the Windermere have in their hands, they are able to send their own fighters through Fold Space without any sort of booster system. Basically some sort Fold Portal System that allows the Windermere to send their forces anywhere across the Brisingr Globular Cluster. Later in the series Xaos manages to use this sort of Fold Portal System to their advantage and sneak Delta Team along with Walkure onto Windermere IV itself.

8 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

The only place I can recall ever seeing stuff like that was in modeling magazines showcasing kit customizations from the 90's and early 00's... specifically ones that replaced the GBP-1S thruster "backpack" with a complete NP-BP-01 booster system from the Super Pack.

(Like the one in the October 2002 issue of Model Graphix)

Thanks for research, but it was a painted image from early 80`s. im kicking myself for not buying it at the time.

20 hours ago, deathzealot said:

Also don't forget that thanks to the abilities of the Protoculture Ship the Windermere have in their hands, they are able to send their own fighters through Fold Space without any sort of booster system. Basically some sort Fold Portal System that allows the Windermere to send their forces anywhere across the Brisingr Globular Cluster. Later in the series Xaos manages to use this sort of Fold Portal System to their advantage and sneak Delta Team along with Walkure onto Windermere IV itself.

There is that, yeah... we first saw something like this in Macross 30: Voices Across the Galaxy, where the ancient Protoculture's ruins on Uroboros had what amounted to a fold-based teleporter network that was used to facilitate moving between the area map and the various "dungeons" in-game.  That got scaled up to interplanetary levels in Macross Delta when the activated Protoculture ruins in the Brisingr cluster revealed an interplanetary fold network joining the key worlds of the delta wave system.

On 4/22/2021 at 12:00 PM, pengbuzz said:

I found this a little while ago on Facebook:

906895168_vf-1scutaway.thumb.jpg.e4a11018e6ae0bb6cbbb8dc5fadbf0cb.jpg

Anyone have an idea where it's from? Head looks kinda small in relation to the body...

That's certainly new to me. I would dare say that the mecha to the left is a Spartan (and maaaaaaaybe a Regult to the right). I've only seen break down-in-action pose of the VF-1J in both Fighter and Gerwalk modes (the one Battroid break-down is straight ahead with not much posture)

6 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

So, we've got another look at the new VF-31 Custom that Delta Flight is using... GERWALK and Battroid modes this time.

6 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

lNpj6Xx.jpg

I think you mean Gerwalk and Fighter modes.

The Super boosters are very slightly different from their previous counterparts - I'm seeing so far

- added winglets

- an added recessed detail on the central white/light gray sections

The 31E's central pod looks to be another dual cannon setup; the cannon on the VF's right is the standard railgun? we've seen before, and the other looks to be another unique design, different from the guns on the Armored's dual-cannon pod. It also has a different canard design from normal.

IIRC there was a "Delta 06" that showed up very briefly in the last trailer. I wonder if that and this are the same, or how they're related, or...

On 4/25/2021 at 5:55 AM, kajnrig said:

I think you mean Gerwalk and Fighter modes.

The Super boosters are very slightly different from their previous counterparts - I'm seeing so far

- added winglets

- an added recessed detail on the central white/light gray sections

The 31E's central pod looks to be another dual cannon setup; the cannon on the VF's right is the standard railgun? we've seen before, and the other looks to be another unique design, different from the guns on the Armored's dual-cannon pod. It also has a different canard design from normal.

IIRC there was a "Delta 06" that showed up very briefly in the last trailer. I wonder if that and this are the same, or how they're related, or...

As I just noted in the other thread:

1 - Larger delta wing with a spike (potentially enough to allow the mounting of VF-25 Super boosters?)

2 - Larger canard with a dogtooth

3 - Canopy has been redone, the new one lacks the separate windshield that was on the first generation VF-31s

4 - The sensor crystal things are repositioned, and there's now three on each side and one in the middle, for a total of seven

5 - The mission pod is different, with a longer stinger that protrudes aft of the engine nozzles (seen in the top and bottom view line art)

6 - The arm guns are much bigger, the new ones protrude past the leading edge of the wings

7 - The revised boosters don't just have winglets, they also lack the mounting bracket that was required to mount it overwing the way the originals did. They also either have slots or stripes on the light grey bits on each side. 

8 - Forgot this one earlier - both Delta 03 and Delta 06 have a single head laser, Chuck's old machine had two.

Delta 6, as far as I can tell, is identical to (new) Delta 3 aside from the paint job.

• 2 weeks later...

Wings have been truncated, looks like, meaning this may be optimized for space use… but then why add a dogtooth to the canard?

43 minutes ago, Sildani said:

Wings have been truncated, looks like, meaning this may be optimized for space use… but then why add a dogtooth to the canard?

That's easy. Because everyone knows the dogtooth is optimized for your detolf. And now you will buy all 6 toys !:p

I'm still just plain baffled that the name of this new custom VF-31 is apparently "Parmenides"...

Of all the possible names for a fighter aircraft, why name it after a Greek philosopher who specialized in metaphysics?

24 minutes ago, Sgt Nate V said:

Am I the only one who thinks the YF-21 kinda looks like the Q-Rau?

Considering this is intentional, no I'd say you aren't, lol.

52 minutes ago, Sgt Nate V said:

Am I the only one who thinks the YF-21 kinda looks like the Q-Rau?

Oh, that is completely intentional... the YF-21 (and VF-22) are in no small part based on the Queadluun-Rau and incorporate technologies General Galaxy obtained during its separate project to refurbish the captured Quimeliquola factory satellite that'd been relocated to Eden's orbit that began around the same time as the YF-21's development.

3 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Oh, that is completely intentional... the YF-21 (and VF-22) are in no small part based on the Queadluun-Rau and incorporate technologies General Galaxy obtained during its separate project to refurbish the captured Quimeliquola factory satellite that'd been relocated to Eden's orbit that began around the same time as the YF-21's development.

I recall that Guld Goa Bowman was not only the pilot of the YF-21 but also one of its' designers (if my sources are correct). Is it possible his background had any influence on the exterior design (even though the Meltran used that suit and not the Zentran forces)?

15 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

I recall that Guld Goa Bowman was not only the pilot of the YF-21 but also one of its' designers (if my sources are correct). Is it possible his background had any influence on the exterior design (even though the Meltran used that suit and not the Zentran forces)?

Guld Goa Bowman was the head of development (開発主任) for the YF-21 as well as its senior test pilot.

After his death, the Macross Galaxy fleet named its VF development group after him.

I've seen it said that the reason it bears a structural resemblance to the Queadluun-Rau was to facilitate adoption of the Queadluun-Rau's inertia vector control system, a less capable (but substantially cheaper) version of the inertia capacitor technology that became a standard feature on 5th Generation VFs.  So it's a functional design choice, rather than a purely aesthetic one.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

So someone just posted this link on another forum I sometimes swing by and I must say I am actually quite impressed. Basically the links leads to a repository of image/pdf archives of tons of scans for Artbooks, Databooks, and other such background material. It is a treasure trove of background information that looks to be usually only seen in Japan or at Anime Conventions. Figured I drop the link here for there is a whole subarchive for Macross. Enjoy!

Main Link

https://archive.org/details/@gunstarsilvergun?tab=uploads&sort=-publicdate&page=1

Macross Link

https://archive.org/details/macrosschronicle30thanniversary0813episodesheet1

The downloads on are the right side of the screen with the central area having list of what is available in the archive.

1 minute ago, Master Dex said:

I like it.. is this Arad though? His colors are more muted.

Looks like, it's Arad's emblem and Delta-01 callsign.