Anyone know how to down the named ace fighter in the mission "First Contact"? And/or how to get S Rank? I think maybe on the second issue you either have to defeat the three Su-30s and/or rack up a lot of points in general. But on the first issue, it shows up as soon as you complete the first set of mission objectives - ie destroy all TGTs - but it's only available to kill for something like four seconds before the drones arrive, which does not give you nearly enough time to down it, even with something like the F-18's rail cannon.

Email from Bamco after I sent in my inquiry.

To Ace Combat fans,

Everyone at BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment America Inc. would like to thank you for your continued support and the excitement you lend to our games. Today, we want to provide you with an update regarding the delivery date of the Ace Combat DLC codes. The codes should have been made available to you on January 18th however, due to circumstances beyond our control, we were not able to meet that date successfully.

We are doing everything in our power to minimize the delay and will provide you the pre-order codes in the next 2-3 days. We want to thank you for your patience if you have any additional questions, we invite you to reach out to our Customer Service team at: storesupport@bandainamcoentstore.com

Sincerely,

Your friends at BANDAI NAMCO Official Store team

Honestly though this concerns me,  no codes were shipped out in my Aces at war bundle.     And the lack of response leads me to believe that if I didn't say anything I never would have gotten them.      This is very poor on Bamco's part,   on the flip side Amazon was able to get me my code (for that order) in less then 6 hours.

i contacted amz about the dlc/ac5 stuff, and they said the marketing/promotions team will get back to me in a couple of days or so. I gave them the link to BandaiNamco's FAQ. 

I'm not that worried, yet.

Meanwhile, I'm currently stuck on mission-6 on campaign-mode.  Can't seem to get points past 15k within the 14-mins limit,..

55 minutes ago, treatment said:

Meanwhile, I'm currently stuck on mission-6 on campaign-mode.  Can't seem to get points past 15k within the 14-mins limit,..

What are you flying? I used an A-10 with UGBs. I went to the air base to the south first, then the canyon to the north of it, then over toward the plateau. I learned to spam the UGBs (though I imagine multi-lock-on air to ground missiles will be just as effective, or maybe even the F-104's guided rockets...). Even if you don't have a PERFECT lock on a target, generally the splash damage will destroy SOMETHING, and you have plenty of them to use. After clearing out the canyon, I went back to resupply, and even then I still had a few bombs left over. Even with the plodding A-10, I managed to rack up just over 17k, 18k points. On NG+ that easily shot up past 22k.

1 hour ago, kajnrig said:

What are you flying? I used an A-10 with UGBs. I went to the air base to the south first, then the canyon to the north of it, then over toward the plateau. I learned to spam the UGBs (though I imagine multi-lock-on air to ground missiles will be just as effective, or maybe even the F-104's guided rockets...). Even if you don't have a PERFECT lock on a target, generally the splash damage will destroy SOMETHING, and you have plenty of them to use. After clearing out the canyon, I went back to resupply, and even then I still had a few bombs left over. Even with the plodding A-10, I managed to rack up just over 17k, 18k points. On NG+ that easily shot up past 22k.

What resupply?

Haven't unlocked the the A-10, yet.

Currently using an F-14d on it. It gets me up to 17k before time's up.  The Mig29 was nice, but can only so far get 14k on it.

I'll get it soon. Just had to know where the Gripends will show up after I took care of the drones.

1 hour ago, treatment said:

What resupply?

Haven't unlocked the the A-10, yet.

Currently using an F-14d on it. It gets me up to 17k before time's up.

There's a resupply line to the east. The game says it's not for you to use, but it's for you to use.

I also used the F-14D on it and did well but couldn't help going too fast for my own good. :lol:

In other news, if people are still interested in the HOTAS sticks, this just popped up on my feed: https://www.androidcentral.com/thrustmaster-tflight-hotas-4-vs-hori-ace-combat-hotas-which-should-you-buy?amp

I had issues with that mission until I got the A-10C with the 4AGMs. Went for the far area to the west first, wiped it out, went back taking potshots at the air field and resupplied, dealt with the air base then went for the plateau area. The Gripen E has carried me through like 6 or 7 missions now, especially with the LACMs. So many ground heavy missions in a row.

25 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

There's a resupply line to the east. The game says it's not for you to use, but it's for you to use.

I also used the F-14D on it and did well but couldn't help going too fast for my own good. :lol:

In other news, if people are still interested in the HOTAS sticks, this just popped up on my feed: https://www.androidcentral.com/thrustmaster-tflight-hotas-4-vs-hori-ace-combat-hotas-which-should-you-buy?amp

24 minutes ago, Atheonyirh said:

I had issues with that mission until I got the A-10C with the 4AGMs. Went for the far area to the west first, wiped it out, went back taking potshots at the air field and resupplied, dealt with the air base then went for the plateau area. The Gripen E has carried me through like 6 or 7 missions now, especially with the LACMs. So many ground heavy missions in a row.

Oh, that base!  Saw it in the map, but haven't had a chance to check it out.  I will later on. 

Fwiw, finding out that the 8-AAMs were only good on parked jets, but pretty much useless on any airborned enemies. Quite a bit different from my old AC6 experience.  Oh, well...

That far west base is full of easily killed ground targets and is the farthest away. Made sense to go there first, resupply, then deal with the closer areas. Supposedly the 8AAMs aren't bad against drone swarms if you actually have a full swarm and good angles. There's parts that will improve lock on time and homing capability and both of those will probably help.

8 hours ago, kajnrig said:

For NG+ I used the Typhoon with 8AGMs; wiped the airfield then the northeastern base before reloading and going after the lone outbosts/convoys and finally the western base. By the time I timed out there were exactly 3 enemies left on the map; I don't remember the score but the only things left were 3 of the 4 Gripens.

As for the ace in First Contact you have to take out all non target enemies; what I did is leave a single target so the later stage of the mission didn't trigger and came back for it after downing the ace.

Finished the campaign tonight.  The vast majority of the credits you get from the campaign are actually from your first-time bonus, so expect to either do multiplayer or grind through the campaign a lot because you're not going to get nearly as many on the replays.

For the record, I did replay a handful of missions... the game says I sortied in the campaign 30 times.  I also did 20 sorties in Battle Royale.  That gave me enough credits that I was able to go:

F-16 > MiG-26 > Su-33 > Su-34 > Su-47 > Su-57

and then

F-16 > F-2 > F-15J > F-15E > F-22

Plus I want to say I bought the 4AAM for the MiG-29, the EML for the Su-33, 4AGM for the Su-34, QAAM for the Su-47, and both the XSBD and the 8AAM for the F-22.  When the campaign was over I had around 1,400,000 credits, which means I can afford the YF-23 but I probably won't buy it right now.  I'll probably bounce between replaying the campaign and doing more multiplayer until I get buy the X-02 and both of its weapons.

Side note, for anyone who hasn't started yet: don't make the mistake I did; skip the Russian plane branch.  It doesn't matter if you go with JDF/USAF route, the US Navy Route, or the European route (although if you take the JDF/USAF route you can also buy the YF-23), they all link back up and end with the F-22, and I'd suggest trying to get it as soon as you can.  All three "best" planes have special weapons available for both air and ground targets, but the F-22's are probably the most well-rounded.  For ground missions both the F-22's XSBD and the Su-57's GPB are easier for average players to use than the YF-23's UGBs.  For air missions, all three have a weapon that you can use on swarms (or bosses with multiple target points): 4AAM for YF-23 and Su-57, 8AAM for F-22.  The kicker is the third weapon.  YF-23 has HVAA, which is fine if you want to hit a target from really far off, but is less useful when you're in the thick of it.  The Su-57 has PLSL, which can be effective against both air and ground targets but functions like a stronger machine gun and requires a similar amount of skill.  But the F-22 has QAAMs, which are great against late-game boss aces.

15 hours ago, Atheonyirh said:

Gripen-plus-LACM is definitely a great setup. LACMs have great standoff range and a big splash effect, which really helps missions where you're bith heavily dogfighting and doing CAS because you don;t have to spend too long away from the dogflight to blow up a cluster of tanks or whatnot.

Typhoon-plus-8AGM should be good but even with upgraded special missile storage you'll shoot them all off in 4 salvoes.

9 hours ago, Jaustin89 said:

For NG+ I used the Typhoon with 8AGMs; wiped the airfield then the northeastern base before reloading and going after the lone outbosts/convoys and finally the western base. By the time I timed out there were exactly 3 enemies left on the map; I don't remember the score but the only things left were 3 of the 4 Gripens.

I have yet to unlock the 8AGM for any fighter, though I'm sure it would make any of those ground missions much much easier. The sandstorm mission (which I think is just like two or three missions after this) could probably use it as well. Even in an F-22 with XSDBs or F-35 with SODs, I was only getting the required points total with <30 seconds left in that part of the mission. I think I had an easier time using the A-10 w/ UGBs during the initial campaign run.

I'm currently trying to make my way to getting the Su-34 and its SFFS. Maybe if I drop them at low orbit, I can finally get that weirdly elusive S Rank.

9 hours ago, Jaustin89 said:

As for the ace in First Contact you have to take out all non target enemies; what I did is leave a single target so the later stage of the mission didn't trigger and came back for it after downing the ace.

Ah, that makes sense now. Will put that info to good use. Thanks!

8 hours ago, AN/ALQ128 said:

Let's hope the sales keep up. I really want another entry. Maybe that one can include a remake of AC4, too? Then after that the inevitable AC9 will HAVE to include AC0, right? Right?

6 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Finished the campaign tonight.  The vast majority of the credits you get from the campaign are actually from your first-time bonus, so expect to either do multiplayer or grind through the campaign a lot because you're not going to get nearly as many on the replays.

I worried that based on all the feedback here, the rewards per mission would drop to something like 5k-8k per mission. But I'm consistently still getting several 10k's to 150k per mission; the pace of it seems roughly on par with what I remember from the older games, so I'm not too torn about just replaying the campaign over and over again. That said, I could also be seeing a bump due to playing it on Ace difficulty. I might see worse results on a second Ace run.

I ended the campaign with roughly 1.5 million in the bank, so it wasn't difficult to play the first 3-4 missions again and get enough to unlock the X-02. And... I'm kind of disappointed, honestly. It doesn't have that immediate wow factor that the... I forget what the superplane from AC6 was, but the Wyvern doesn't have its "two dozen lock-ons and initiate the Macross Missile Massacre" wow factor. I hope - HOPE - that once I unlock the part that widens the EML area of effect, I'll be able to use it more purposefully, but for now, it's just... a better end-game plane.

(Also the parts indicate there's something with a laser somewhere out there, and I can't wait to see what it is. A Falken, perhaps? Something else? Something new? Something from AC3???)

It will roughly take 4 play-through's to purchase all planes, 5 to unlock all special weapons; assuming one doesn't touch MP.  Found a list of all ACEs and their requirements, all Aces will appear on Normal difficulty.

Charge Assault - PYRO/Mig-21, Destroy 3rd wave of bombers with 4/6/8AAM, appears with 4th wave of bombers, spawns in Northwest.

Charge The Enemy - JESTER/Mig-29, Destroy the TGT marked Control Tower and all radar vehicles, will spawn after UAV's on taxiway on airport.

Two-Pronged Strategy - F16C/BAYONET, Destroy all 1st wave enemies in under 90 sec., spawns behind Arsenal Bird

Rescue - F15J/RONIN, Keep low altitude(200m/650ft) and reach space elevator, will spawn in Northeast.

444 - F15C/FANG, Take 75% damage while weapons disabled, destroy first 3 bombers, spawns between next wave of TGT's.

Long Day - F14D/KITTEN, Go through tunnel in western part of the base, will spawn in Southwest corner.

First Contact - Typhoon/FAUCON, Destroy all the NON-TGT's enemies in 1st part of mission, will spawn in North.

Pipeline Destruction - F15E/GAZELLE, Destroy all Oil Facilities before time runs out, will spawn in North with UAV's (hangs around northern most TGT)

Faceless Soldier - FA18F/SPIDER, Destroy at least half NON-TGT's and all Radar Towers, will spawn in East.

Transfer Orders - GripenE/LOVETEAU, Destroy the SAM's quickly, will spawn from the East with Mirage-2000's.

Fleet Destruction - Su-33/IBIS, Go through gap in Northern platforms, will spawn in East

- Rafale/CHASSEUR, Go to Northern Platform and destroy all aircraft before they take off, will spawn in West.

Stonehenge Defense - Su-34/WALRUS, Prevent enemies from damaging Stonehenge even once and will spawn from NW with helicopters.

- A-10C/BUFFLE, Destroy the 3 A-10's coming from the East, will spawn Southwest of Stonehenge.

- Mirage2000/FOUDRE, Fly underneath any Stonehenge rail gun, spawns in South.

Bunker Buster - Mig-31/COMET, Destroy missile silo's quickly (roughly 3.5 min), spawns going away towards West with 1st ICBM.

Cape Rainy Assault - Su-47/GADFLY, fly through canyon quickly and will appear with Su-35's in North.

Battle of Farbanti - Su-37/SERPENT, Score 5000 pts over requirement in first stage of mission, will spawn SW of Southeastern most dog fight.

-F-2A/BOGEN, Destroy Aegis Ashore, near the GHQ in first part of mission, will spawn South of Shore Battery and tries to escape South.

Last Hope - Su-35/AXEMAN, Score 15,000 pts and then Axeman will spawn in Southeastern part of city as UNKOWN until identified.

Homeward - F35C/MANTIS, fly along (above and very close) to the Mass Driver Rail and will spawn along with bombers and fighters in East, marked as        UNKNOWN until identified.

Lost Kingdom - YF-23/LYNX, Destroy all enemies before reaching castle in about 2.5 minutes, will spawn slightly North of castle, about time F-16 takes off.

Lighthouse - Su-57/CALAMITY, Score 20,000 pts in first part of mission, will spawn far Southeast of space elevator, stealth plane so must be close before appearing (Parts can help), flies South but will hold position just outside map line (long range specials will work).

- F22/TEMPEST, Same as Calamity on appears Southwest of elevator, stealth plane must be close before appearing. Will prioritize TRIGGER/PLAYER if about 30,000 ft. high. otherwise engages allied aircraft. 

I have confirmed all of them, just not completed them all.

Edited by Wolf-1

3 hours ago, kajnrig said:

I ended the campaign with roughly 1.5 million in the bank, so it wasn't difficult to play the first 3-4 missions again and get enough to unlock the X-02. And... I'm kind of disappointed, honestly. It doesn't have that immediate wow factor that the... I forget what the superplane from AC6 was, but the Wyvern doesn't have its "two dozen lock-ons and initiate the Macross Missile Massacre" wow factor. I hope - HOPE - that once I unlock the part that widens the EML area of effect, I'll be able to use it more purposefully, but for now, it's just... a better end-game plane.

(Also the parts indicate there's something with a laser somewhere out there, and I can't wait to see what it is. A Falken, perhaps? Something else? Something new? Something from AC3???)

Yeah the Nosferatu would be way too good in AC7 with it's missile massacre attack, there aren't as many enemies so one or two volleys would probably wipe a map out. As for laser planes I know the Su-37 has it since I ran the Suhkoi route first and I think the F-15E has it too, the laser isn't all that great on its own but with upgrades you can fry the drones from a safe distance pretty quickly. No word on an unlockable Falken yet, the big fear is that it's being saved for DLC.

9 hours ago, kajnrig said:

I have yet to unlock the 8AGM for any fighter, though I'm sure it would make any of those ground missions much much easier. The sandstorm mission (which I think is just like two or three missions after this) could probably use it as well. Even in an F-22 with XSDBs or F-35 with SODs, I was only getting the required points total with <30 seconds left in that part of the mission. I think I had an easier time using the A-10 w/ UGBs during the initial campaign run.

I'm currently trying to make my way to getting the Su-34 and its SFFS. Maybe if I drop them at low orbit, I can finally get that weirdly elusive S Rank.

Any of the multi-lock ground weapons are really inefficient for that mission, since blowing up an oil tank chains to everything nearby you're actually better off using standard missiles or even guns on a single tank in each cluster of buildings. The best I've found is using the LACM (I've got it on the Gripen; not sure what else can mount it) with expanded bomb area parts and  dropping them between clusters to trigger multiple chains at once; GBP, SOD, RKT, etc. should be able to do the same but may be harder depending on the size and shape of the footprint.

9 hours ago, kajnrig said:

An F-15 (J?), one of the Sukhois and maybe a couple others have a TLS pod like the Morgen's available; I'm reasonably certain one of the "3 original planes" coming as DLC will be either the FALKEN (^ from what I've heard it's not in the base game) or the RAVEN either of which should also have it.

^^ I can confirm most of those though Battle of Farbanti plus Tempest; and that they show up on normal difficulty. Exceptions are BAYONET, WALRUS, and BOGEN who I didn't meet the conditions for but will probably spawn on normal since if any of them were locked to higher difficulties TEMPEST would be one of them.

1 hour ago, Jaustin89 said:

Any of the multi-lock ground weapons are really inefficient for that mission, since blowing up an oil tank chains to everything nearby you're actually better off using standard missiles or even guns on a single tank in each cluster of buildings. The best I've found is using the LACM (I've got it on the Gripen; not sure what else can mount it) with expanded bomb area parts and  dropping them between clusters to trigger multiple chains at once; GBP, SOD, RKT, etc. should be able to do the same but may be harder depending on the size and shape of the footprint.

Yeah, I just tried it myself and did worse than I normally would. Those missiles really go fast. I was under the impression that you only get points for each target you personally destroy, not anything that chains off from that. But then again, they're such low-value targets it wouldn't really matter anyway.

1 hour ago, Jaustin89 said:

An F-15 (J?), one of the Sukhois and maybe a couple others have a TLS pod like the Morgen's available; I'm reasonably certain one of the "3 original planes" coming as DLC will be either the FALKEN (^ from what I've heard it's not in the base game) or the RAVEN either of which should also have it.

Yeah, I confirmed this on the aircraft tree as well. Both the TLS and the EML aren't as impressive as they used to be. Understandably so, but still... going from AC5/0/6 levels of overkill to the balance of AC Infinity was disappointing. Even with the upgrade parts equipped, the laser doesn't last long enough and doesn't have a good enough hitbox to be OP.

Oh well. :lol:

On 1/21/2019 at 4:41 PM, Atheonyirh said:

That far west base is full of easily killed ground targets and is the farthest away. Made sense to go there first, resupply, then deal with the closer areas. Supposedly the 8AAMs aren't bad against drone swarms if you actually have a full swarm and good angles. There's parts that will improve lock on time and homing capability and both of those will probably help.

On 1/21/2019 at 9:18 PM, Jaustin89 said:

On 1/22/2019 at 6:56 AM, RFT said:

Gripen-plus-LACM is definitely a great setup. LACMs have great standoff range and a big splash effect, which really helps missions where you're bith heavily dogfighting and doing CAS because you don;t have to spend too long away from the dogflight to blow up a cluster of tanks or whatnot.

Typhoon-plus-8AGM should be good but even with upgraded special missile storage you'll shoot them all off in 4 salvoes.

I haven't gotten back to playing the game/mission6 again, but the Mig29 I used had LAGMs which were nice with ground-targets even with the rather slow-ish reload-time.

Speaking of which, I do like the Mig29, but it seems to have significanly slower climbing ability after steep diving compared to when I'm using the F-14 using the same maneuver. The F14 is just quite fabulous to me!

Oh, I just got the email from amz about my dlc/bonus keys last night. I did have to prod them a bit about it yesterday since they didn't respond after asking me for the same details again that the sunday's chat-transcript already provided.

Guess I'm good to go get it now.

If I ever remember my pswd at psn...:unknw::5:

edit:

welp!

Got my AC5 and the DLC.

While dl'ing, decided to play again and just stick with the Mig29 with LAGMs and alternating it with the 4AAMs from the base.  Went rather smoothly after a couple of runs and finally completed mission-6 with it. Got the A10 unlocked and the F4E dlc now shows up, too. w00t!

This First Contact mission was kinda weird with all that electrical stuff, but it's already late and got work tomorrow to continue playing it. Will try again this weekend or so.  :lazy:

edit2:

anybody use their hotas setup on this, yet? 

Edited by treatment
late update

Phew. In order to S Rank that mission (on Ace difficulty; it might be different on lower difficulties), I had to go in with the Su-57 and just carpet bomb that entire facility with all 650 blasts from its pulse laser weapon (which, as it turns out, is really cool and my current favorite thing to use). I cleared out roughly 85% of it with a minute left, so even though the already tedious second part took me longer than usual thanks to the Su-57's poor low-speed performance, I managed to end the mission with enough points for the S.

Sheesh. Some of these missions really make you work for that S.

Has anyone been able to score an S Rank on Mission 14? The night-time canyon mission where you're harangued by spotlights and can't go above 600 meters? I can't pass a B even on lower difficulties because I don't snag the time bonus even when I scream through the canyon at breakneck speed. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm clearing the canyon section faster than S Rank videos on Youtube, and I'm clearing the base in roughly the same amount of time, yet still...

I know that the bulk of us are playing on PS4, but did anyone happen to grab Ace Combat 7 for Xbox One?  I'm curious, because it looks like Ace Combat 5 is actually port for PS4 and not simple PS2 emulation.  But I saw that since AC7 came out that AC6 popped up in the Xbox One's backwards compatibility list, which works for me since I a.) bought an Xbox One X on a whim during the holiday season, and b.) still have my AC6 disc.  I'm curious, though, if the version of AC6 you get with the XB1 version of AC7 is just the BC store download or if it's actually a port like AC5.

Side note, after playing AC5 I really want Bamco to give AC4 and AC0 the same treatment.

10 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

I know that the bulk of us are playing on PS4, but did anyone happen to grab Ace Combat 7 for Xbox One?  I'm curious, because it looks like Ace Combat 5 is actually port for PS4 and not simple PS2 emulation.  But I saw that since AC7 came out that AC6 popped up in the Xbox One's backwards compatibility list, which works for me since I a.) bought an Xbox One X on a whim during the holiday season, and b.) still have my AC6 disc.  I'm curious, though, if the version of AC6 you get with the XB1 version of AC7 is just the BC store download or if it's actually a port like AC5.

Side note, after playing AC5 I really want Bamco to give AC4 and AC0 the same treatment.

I have the XBox version, not sure I fully understand the difference between a port and just BC only.  That said, during the download for AC6 this past week, you could choose to only get the BC data and use a physical disc or just download the entire game along with the a few of the paint schemes/plane set-up changes(Pixy, Cherry Blossom, Razgriz, AC2 F16)  I would say just BC, given what little I've played through so far.  I wish they would have kept the button lay-out the same between the two, specials and map are interchanged between the two generation consoles.  

3 minutes ago, Wolf-1 said:

I wish they would have kept the button lay-out the same between the two, specials and map are interchanged between the two generation consoles.  

I believe in AC6 and I know in AC7 you have the ability to change the controls to that of the PS2-era games. I seem to recall doing that with AC6, then reverting them to their default because holding the 360 controller's RB for afterburner and the Back button for weapons switching was not a good feeling in any respect.

4 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

I believe in AC6 and I know in AC7 you have the ability to change the controls to that of the PS2-era games. I seem to recall doing that with AC6, then reverting them to their default because holding the 360 controller's RB for afterburner and the Back button for weapons switching was not a good feeling in any respect.

It's in 7 that they switched X to Specials and (Select)Windows/Back to Map; took me a mission or two to adjust but I did.  Then went back to 6 and I find myself blocking my line of sight because I'm over-laying the map on my TGT by accident.  I'm leaning more toward the 7 lay-out but its more a departure from PS2 lay-out, which is already confusing enough when I forget that there are no High-G turn's in PS2. 

Has anyone else noticed in 7, that if you stall the plane just right you can get it to spin on the Y axis, nose back down and dive to regain speed?  Have dodged a few missiles on accident doing this a couple of times.  Have never noticed any kind of "spin" from a stall in previous iterations.  

38 minutes ago, Wolf-1 said:

Has anyone else noticed in 7, that if you stall the plane just right you can get it to spin on the Y axis, nose back down and dive to regain speed?  Have dodged a few missiles on accident doing this a couple of times.  Have never noticed any kind of "spin" from a stall in previous iterations.  

If you're talking about the post-stall maneuvers, it's a new feature they added in for people to have fun with. If you're flying at low enough speed, you can enter into a post-stall state by pressing both accelerate/decelerate then immediately pitching the nose of the plane up. If you hold down the accelerator during this time, you can pull off cobra maneuvers and kulbit loops; if not, you'll pretty quickly lose airspeed and stall.

It's mostly there for fun, though I'm sure there are some practical uses for it in-game. I think I preferred HAWX's implementation of high-G scenarios, where the camera switches to a zoomed-out third person perspective and you're able to control the plane however you see fit, but obviously lacking any indicators of speed, altitude, warning lights, etc. I just remember maintaining an Su-27 (or something similar, I forget, it was ages ago) some two feet off the ocean surface, its nose pitched straight into the sky, and it was the raddest thing that game ever had to offer.

On another note, I'm leaving Mission 14 alone for now and trying - dear GOD, am I trying - to S Rank Mission 9, which I think is an even more impossible task. That's the one where you can't go above the clouds or a satellite-guided missile will take you out. On Ace difficulty, with the right equipment, you can take three hits in quick succession before dying, or multiple hits if enough time passes between the second and third hits. But the mission is just such a pain all around. The time bonus seems really generous this mission, though, and I managed to get an A even without shooting down EVERY single enemy in the first half, so maybe I can just be patient and really make sure I take everything out.

On another another note, does anyone else notice that the Russian planes all universally have both stupidly high stall speeds and react much worse to a stall than their US counterparts? They'll instantly nosedive if you so much as graze the 300 km/h mark, whereas US planes will enter into a "gentle" stall starting around 250 km/h, and even when you reach full stall around 200 km/h, they'll take half a second longer to nosedive.

3 hours ago, Wolf-1 said:

I have the XBox version, not sure I fully understand the difference between a port and just BC only.  That said, during the download for AC6 this past week, you could choose to only get the BC data and use a physical disc or just download the entire game along with the a few of the paint schemes/plane set-up changes(Pixy, Cherry Blossom, Razgriz, AC2 F16)  I would say just BC, given what little I've played through so far.  I wish they would have kept the button lay-out the same between the two, specials and map are interchanged between the two generation consoles.  

A port is when a game is recoded so it specifically runs on a new machine in the same way as any other game or app on that machine.  We know AC5 on PS4 is a port because it does things that the PS2 version didn’t do (according to that 8ve read)

xbox back-compatibility means that it’s the same code that ran on the 360, and the Xbox one pretends it’s a 360 to run using an emulator. The game runs “inside” the emulator. So- AC6 on Xbox one is exactly the same code as it was on 360 as far as I can tell. The 360 emulator in Xbox one isn’t perfectly plug and play- it needs to be specifically configured for each game, which is why you can’t just put a 360 disc in the bone and go.

this is the first time I’ve really regretted not having a PS4 as I’d love to replay AC5 but I’ll have to dig out my PS2 instead  

33 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

If you're talking about the post-stall maneuvers, it's a new feature they added in for people to have fun with. If you're flying at low enough speed, you can enter into a post-stall state by pressing both accelerate/decelerate then immediately pitching the nose of the plane up. If you hold down the accelerator during this time, you can pull off cobra maneuvers and kulbit loops; if not, you'll pretty quickly lose airspeed and stall.

It's mostly there for fun, though I'm sure there are some practical uses for it in-game. I think I preferred HAWX's implementation of high-G scenarios, where the camera switches to a zoomed-out third person perspective and you're able to control the plane however you see fit, but obviously lacking any indicators of speed, altitude, warning lights, etc. I just remember maintaining an Su-27 (or something similar, I forget, it was ages ago) some two feet off the ocean surface, its nose pitched straight into the sky, and it was the raddest thing that game ever had to offer.

On another note, I'm leaving Mission 14 alone for now and trying - dear GOD, am I trying - to S Rank Mission 9, which I think is an even more impossible task. That's the one where you can't go above the clouds or a satellite-guided missile will take you out. On Ace difficulty, with the right equipment, you can take three hits in quick succession before dying, or multiple hits if enough time passes between the second and third hits. But the mission is just such a pain all around. The time bonus seems really generous this mission, though, and I managed to get an A even without shooting down EVERY single enemy in the first half, so maybe I can just be patient and really make sure I take everything out.

On another another note, does anyone else notice that the Russian planes all universally have both stupidly high stall speeds and react much worse to a stall than their US counterparts? They'll instantly nosedive if you so much as graze the 300 km/h mark, whereas US planes will enter into a "gentle" stall starting around 250 km/h, and even when you reach full stall around 200 km/h, they'll take half a second longer to nosedive.

I suppose it would be post-stall maneuvers.  Each time I've "triggered" it, I was attempting a High-G turn when I had apparently already bled off all speed for one.  Never felt like I had control of it though, as the stick goes dead for a split second until after the "spin".   Having watched a few video's to try and get a better definition of the two moves, I would go with a Kulbit loop, though again, I had no stick through the loop and while I'm sure there was some forward momentum along with the spin, I couldn't tell it; I play strictly in 3rd person view.

I haven't even really attempted to go after S rankings yet, I'm still trying to get Mission's 8 and 13(Bunker Buster)'s Aces.  I can meet the requirements but can't get the Aces and complete missions in time, what really burns me is that I don't even care for either paint scheme but want the special scheme for the Wyvern.