Legend of Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These. Coming April 2018.

UN Spacy

6 hours ago, UN Spacy said:

So Funimation announced yesterday they are dubbing this. So good chance that Crunchyroll will have the sub though haven't noticed an announcement of their Spring line-up, or I might have just missed it.

the more I see of this the more I can't wait. For once it seems like a good proper done reboot, 2199 being another.

Watched this as soon as I got home. It has promise, but that is true of so many series. So let's hope Production IG can hold this level for the season. Otherwise enjoying the art change, it's a good update so far.

Just watched this. I don't mind the CGI, I actually liked the updated graphics but...

- Kircheis' character design has got to be the worst of them all. Doesn't reflect him at all. Kircheis' is awful for a main character.

- The other generals' character designs were forgettable but I didn't think they were that awful since they're just side characters. On the other hand, Fahrenheit no longer looks handsome.

- Reinhard's voice actor is so boring I feel sleepy hearing him. It's like he only has 1 emotion, the voice acting is not as expressive :angry:

That said, the Free Planets Alliance is still incompetent as I remembered. The sequence of events as presented mostly followed the same pattern, but a few changes were done. I liked the scene that they ended with. The music well, can't really compare to the old but the OP is ok. The narrator/spoiler is also gone. :lol:

Overall it's not bad, the new viewers who didn't see the original series might like it. Me, I'll watch as I am curious up to what episode I can endure until I lose interest. Though I really hope Reinhard's VA improves...

2 hours ago, hachi said:

Just watched this. I don't mind the CGI, I actually liked the updated graphics but...

- Kircheis' character design has got to be the worst of them all. Doesn't reflect him at all. Kircheis' is awful for a main character.

- The other generals' character designs were forgettable but I didn't think they were that awful since they're just side characters. On the other hand, Fahrenheit no longer looks handsome.

- Reinhard's voice actor is so boring I feel sleepy hearing him. It's like he only has 1 emotion, the voice acting is not as expressive :angry:

That said, the Free Planets Alliance is still incompetent as I remembered. The sequence of events as presented mostly followed the same pattern, but a few changes were done. I liked the scene that they ended with. The music well, can't really compare to the old but the OP is ok. The narrator/spoiler is also gone. :lol:

Overall it's not bad, the new viewers who didn't see the original series might like it. Me, I'll watch as I am curious up to what episode I can endure until I lose interest. Though I really hope Reinhard's VA improves...

Well Reinhart was bored til the end of the episode, so makes sense that he was boring. Now if that trend continues in the next episode then we'll have issues. The character designs weren't too bad for an update, Julian is bishy af. 

Just watched the first episode and I am looking forward to (re)watching these two tactical titans clash in the stars. I got to about episode 50 in the original series before Sentai yanked all of the LoGH videos from YouTube. My favorite part was when

Yang and Reinhardt finally meet in person and discuss what motivates them. It was an interesting exchange where both men felt that they fought for the superior governmental and political system, and spent some time debating the pros and cons of each.

I just read some of the initial reviews on CR and one guy tears it up because he couldn't believe that the Empire was so easily able to destroy the Free Planets Alliance fleet. He doesn't yet understand that the point is to show how incompetent the FPA has become and Yang Wen-Li is going to whip it back into shape in no time.

I wonder if Episode 2 will show the battle from Wen-Li's perspective... or at least the tail end of it where he manages to save what's left of the fleet.

I am kind of hoping they trim a least some of the exposition out of the story. I know, I know... It will hollow out what made the original series so great. I just felt like it was dragging on a bit at times. If they do so, I hope they know what they're doing.

Edited by frothymug

14 hours ago, frothymug said:

I just read some of the initial reviews on CR and one guy tears it up because he couldn't believe that the Empire was so easily able to destroy the Free Planets Alliance fleet. He doesn't yet understand that the point is to show how incompetent the FPA has become and Yang Wen-Li is going to whip it back into shape in no time.

I wonder if Episode 2 will show the battle from Wen-Li's perspective... or at least the tail end of it where he manages to save what's left of the fleet.

I am kind of hoping they trim a least some of the exposition out of the story. I know, I know... It will hollow out what made the original series so great. I just felt like it was dragging on a bit at times. If they do so, I hope they know what they're doing.

I think they will start it off at the point shortly before Reinhard's fleet engages Wen-Li's fleet. And they already cut out a lot of exposition. Although I think old version handled it all well (I've watched the old series at least twice)

On 4/5/2018 at 6:32 AM, hachi said:

I think they will start it off at the point shortly before Reinhard's fleet engages Wen-Li's fleet. And they already cut out a lot of exposition. Although I think old version handled it all well (I've watched the old series at least twice)

Ep 2 was pretty much this and the end of the Battle of Astartes.

Also Funimation announced their simul-dub and LoGH is slated to start on 4/23. While the sub is doing good so far I can only hope they picked a good voice cast. I'll look it up later if posted.

I just finished episode 2. I was a little disappointed that Jean's death wasn't as theatrical as in the original version. :p

Jokes aside, I think the adaptation has been ok so far. The only downside for me, are the voice actors and the background music. More excitement could have been generated if they just got the voice acting right, and a more memorable background music. Let's see what they do in episode 3.

I think the underrepresentation of Jean's death was a good example of the "pruning" this show will ultimately receive to keep its length under control. However, I guess that means that his fiancee will also be relegated to the shadows in later episodes. ...unless the show's creators decide to do a bit of flashback content to give considerable weight to her relationship with Yang.

17 hours ago, frothymug said:

I think the underrepresentation of Jean's death was a good example of the "pruning" this show will ultimately receive to keep its length under control. However, I guess that means that his fiancee will also be relegated to the shadows in later episodes. ...unless the show's creators decide to do a bit of flashback content to give considerable weight to her relationship with Yang.

Jean and Jessica are such a tragic couple. But Jessica has more significance when it comes to the Alliance politics, so I think she'll get the screen time. Otherwise I don't know how they'll frame the turmoil/trouble in Alliance politics. Also I have no idea how that is described in the novels but I hope they show that instead of glossing over it in favor of shiny CGI space battles.

Just watched episode 3, it's getting better. I still had problems with character designs--Oberstein looks like a serial killer, Annerose's eyelashes, but the young Kircheis and Reinhard were an improvement over the old anime. Even though the old anime had great character designs, they couldn't do the child versions right lol

2 hours ago, frothymug said:

Even in the original, Oberstein looked like he had some crossed wires in his head. His voice actor is spot-on in this revamp. Is it the same guy?

No, it isn’t. The original voice actor for Oberstein, Kaneto Shiozawa, passed away in 2000. 

• 3 weeks later...

OK, on to more impressions. I find that I am OK with Jessica's character redesign, she's more beautiful now--though it gives Your Lie In April vibes. Foreshadowing tragedy? :lol:

Schenkopf, well, he was also OK but he looks way younger. Bucock slimmed down a bit. Frederica on the other hand looks generic? Her younger version was better lol. Anyway, I recognized Sheryl's voice and indeed, Aya Endo is the voice actor. Imagine seeing Frederica and hearing Sheryl Nome hahahaha. So it seems to me that Jessica is the only one with the vastly improved character design.

I know I probably should also be looking at the show over-all instead of the character designs but I can't help it I'm not really excited when it comes to Free Planet Alliance scenes. I want the Empire scenes with Reinhard et al. :D

2 hours ago, hachi said:

OK, on to more impressions. I find that I am OK with Jessica's character redesign, she's more beautiful now--though it gives Your Lie In April vibes. Foreshadowing tragedy? :lol:

Schenkopf, well, he was also OK but he looks way younger. Bucock slimmed down a bit. Frederica on the other hand looks generic? Her younger version was better lol. Anyway, I recognized Sheryl's voice and indeed, Aya Endo is the voice actor. Imagine seeing Frederica and hearing Sheryl Nome hahahaha. So it seems to me that Jessica is the only one with the vastly improved character design.

I know I probably should also be looking at the show over-all instead of the character designs but I can't help it I'm not really excited when it comes to Free Planet Alliance scenes. I want the Empire scenes with Reinhard et al. :D

We'll get more of Reinhard in ep8, while the back and forth of the first few eps made sense in the build up, now we are getting into the series proper and it follows a bit of a mini-arc system. 

I also hope the english voice actress for Jessica nails the memorial speech, the japanese one did and it was beautiful.

On her fate.

In the original series she leads an anti-war rally during coup d'tat, and it doesn't go too well for her since she is pistol-whipped to death by an officer in front of a crowd of thousands and makes her into a martyr.

Edited by Focslain

15 hours ago, Focslain said:

We'll get more of Reinhard in ep8, while the back and forth of the first few eps made sense in the build up, now we are getting into the series proper and it follows a bit of a mini-arc system. 

I also hope the english voice actress for Jessica nails the memorial speech, the japanese one did and it was beautiful.

On her fate.

Hide contents

In the original series she leads an anti-war rally during coup d'tat, and it doesn't go too well for her since she is pistol-whipped to death by an officer in front of a crowd of thousands and makes her into a martyr.

Yeah I know that happens to her, but I don't know if they will show it the same way. Remember Jean's death wasn't as theatrical in the new series. And I actually don't know if the same thing happens in the novels.

I'm also disappointed in the ANN comments, complaining about the incompetence blah3x. Don't they know about real-world incompetence? Maybe they haven't worked in a real company with incompetent managers... :lol:

If there was no Artland OVA I'd be willing to admit that it does a solid job of adapting the novels by Tanaka-sensei. But alas, the Artland version exists and this just feels flat, lacking in grandeur. Is it the score, the dialogue, the voice acting? I don't know.

15 hours ago, Marzan said:

If there was no Artland OVA I'd be willing to admit that it does a solid job of adapting the novels by Tanaka-sensei. But alas, the Artland version exists and this just feels flat, lacking in grandeur. Is it the score, the dialogue, the voice acting? I don't know.

The dialogue is OK, but I think the new series pales in comparison to the old series when it comes to voice acting and score. Also with the character design...They had a tough act to follow but at least their output is not a disaster.

4 hours ago, hachi said:

The dialogue is OK, but I think the new series pales in comparison to the old series when it comes to voice acting and score. Also with the character design...They had a tough act to follow but at least their output is not a disaster.

Yeah, it's not a complete upgrade of the original, but it is far from a bad reboot. I just hope they keep the current pacing and don't rush things. That is my biggest worry.

On the flip side the dub is doing pretty good so far.

Edited by Focslain

There's a cute Reinhard Nendoroid up for preorder: https://hlj.com/product/gsc90559

New Reinhard looks close to original but somehow still reminds me of a Kuroko no Basket character. I have no budget for this Nendoroid so I'll pass.

On the anime side, saw the latest episode, and the bridge scenes with the Castrop guy was hilarious. Though I think it was too short and not that satisfying, so I'm now going to rewatch the Castrop episode from the original anime. This will also tide me over the times I want to see the next new episode but there isn't any :lol:

21 hours ago, tekering said:

Christ, that is adorable!

gsc90559_5_1527135408.jpg?v=1527135408

gsc90559_1_1527135407.jpg?v=1527135407

gsc90559_6_1527135407.jpg?v=1527135407

Thanks for the heads-up. ^_^  

You're welcome. :D

Those 3 pictures are the cutest. Unfortunately I can't imagine Kircheis' Nendo to be as cute (if it ever comes out).

13 hours ago, Petrov27 said:

Speaking of collectibles - wonder if we will see ships from the new series? I seem to recall the old series had quite a lot of that sort of thing (Fleet boxes?)

I actually don't like the new designs for Reinhard's and Kircheis' ships. They look agile but fragile. (wow that rhymed)