Just saw this on Reddit. Looks like a bunch of stuff was filed last week and Harmony Gold is taking legal action vs Tatsunoko, but for what?

https://www.open-public-records.com/court/california-23006746.htm

Please nuke this topic if this is listed somewhere else already

I wonder what it is they hope to accomplish and what the possible outcomes could be O_o

44 minutes ago, seti88 said:

Wow who found it? Must be some macross fans in the legal profession?

Pls update this thread with any info..

Google says it was posted in a Battletech Reddit subgroup.  That franchise is also being sued by HG this year.  It might as well be more fallout from the Academy Kickstarter to me.

It's likely a money grab but likely to clarify what they own with regards to Battletech. I'd look into the lawsuit with Battletech. That would likely give us an idea about what this separate filing is about.

Edit: OK, I think I know what this might be about. If they are suing Battletech and if Battletech's claim is legit, then HG is suing Tatsunoko for breach of contract since HG is supposed to have exclusive rights to the designs (in regards to merchandising). So this issue needs to be settled before the lawsuit with Battletech can move forward. 

1 hour ago, azrael said:

It's likely a money grab but likely to clarify what they own with regards to Battletech. I'd look into the lawsuit with Battletech. That would likely give us an idea about what this separate filing is about.

Edit: OK, I think I know what this might be about. If they are suing Battletech and if Battletech's claim is legit, then HG is suing Tatsunoko for breach of contract since HG is supposed to have exclusive rights to the designs (in regards to merchandising). So this issue needs to be settled before the lawsuit with Battletech can move forward. 

I understand... the issue here is to see how this thing can backfire and hurts HG way beyond salvation :p

2 hours ago, azrael said:

Just to be clear, from what Renato found it looks like the reason for the Battletech lawsuit is that, to HG, the Reseen mechs and others still have enough semblance to the Macross mechs to infringe on their rights despite that franchise's efforts to avoid this situation.  Tatsunoko was never mentioned by either party in recent developments leading up to that lawsuit.  I didn't think it was related, I thought that people in that fandom were royally pissed and found pay dirt.

This lawsuit has nothing to do with the Battletech controversy. Harmony Gold is suing Tatsunoko Production in order to enforce an arbitration order against Tatsunoko. Long story short, Tatsunoko was ordered to reimburse Harmony Gold's legal fees, which arose out of an arbitration dispute between the two. So far, Tatsunoko hasn't paid Harmony Gold back and Harmony Gold is asking a district court to force Tatsunoko to pay. I would write more, but I'm literally about to walk out the door for a trip. I'll try to go into more detail when I arrive at my destination.

4 minutes ago, TheLoneWolf said:

This lawsuit has nothing to do with the Battletech controversy. Harmony Gold is suing Tatsunoko Production in order to enforce an arbitration order against Tatsunoko. Long story short, Tatsunoko was ordered to reimburse Harmony Gold's legal fees, which arose out of an arbitration dispute between the two. So far, Tatsunoko hasn't paid Harmony Gold back and Harmony Gold is asking a district court to force Tatsunoko to pay. I would write more, but I'm literally about to walk out the door for a trip. I'll try to go into more detail when I arrive at my destination.

A money grab, then, albeit a court sanctioned money grab maybe?

The Battletech rumors were confusing me, having pledged to the Kickstarter for the game. The last time I checked the comments, the developers were basically ignoring all chatter on the subject and continuing with their work. Most fans were diving into their own speculation, as fans are wont to do.

51 minutes ago, technoblue said:

A money grab, then, albeit a court sanctioned money grab maybe?

The Battletech rumors were confusing me, having pledged to the Kickstarter for the game. The last time I checked the comments, the developers were basically ignoring all chatter on the subject and continuing with their work. Most fans were diving into their own speculation, as fans are wont to do.

I heard a lot of awful things about that KS... like one of the designers attempt suicide because the wrath of the backers and things like that... 

25 minutes ago, Gerli said:

I heard a lot of awful things about that KS... like one of the designers attempt suicide because the wrath of the backers and things like that... 

Different KS - I believe you're referring to the Robotech RPG Tactics miniatures game KS by Palladium games.

There's a Battletech videogame KS that caused the lawsuit from HG.

And finally there's the infamous Robotech Academy KS started and then later killed by HG because it didn't get funded.

1 hour ago, TheLoneWolf said:

This lawsuit has nothing to do with the Battletech controversy. Harmony Gold is suing Tatsunoko Production in order to enforce an arbitration order against Tatsunoko. Long story short, Tatsunoko was ordered to reimburse Harmony Gold's legal fees, which arose out of an arbitration dispute between the two. So far, Tatsunoko hasn't paid Harmony Gold back and Harmony Gold is asking a district court to force Tatsunoko to pay. ....

Ah. So it's a "Where's my money?!"-case.

1 hour ago, akteon said:

Different KS - I believe you're referring to the Robotech RPG Tactics miniatures game KS by Palladium games.

And finally there's the infamous Robotech Academy KS started and then later killed by HG because it didn't get funded.

Yeah. As far as I know HareBrained Schemes has a good reputation. They completed the Shadowrun Kickstarter PC games, and they have also released a third-person style RPG adventure called Necropolis. Battletech is their next turn-based strategy game, and it's looking like a modern-day MechCommander.

2 hours ago, akteon said:

Oh yeah, that one, thanks for the clarification :) 

12 hours ago, Roy Focker said:

What's happening!   My computer has magically transformed back to my early 2000's Gateway desktop and the lines in my face are fading!

I believe the kids these days say "quoted for truth"?

I honestly thought someone had bumped a fifteen-year-old thread at first. This is an entirely different, and MUCH more entertaining, spectacle.

8 hours ago, TheLoneWolf said:

wow, finally some info! thanks! 

Just watched that video independently and hopped here to see if anyone else had brought it up, and thankfully someone has. I get the feeling Tatsunoko is going to tell HG to screw themselves if they come back attempting to extend those licensing rights, and rightfully so. And it's all legal and proper, so HG won't be able to bitch come 2021. They screwed themselves by being asshats. Now we just have to deal with all of the last-minute exploitation they're going to be doing, including the live-action movie that a lot of this seems to be about (at least it seems to me given the emphasis on mentioning live-action adaptations in all of that legalese in the vid).

Anyone have of copy of this court filing? I feel like doing some light reading.

It feels like Tatsunoko is trying to stick it to HG by not paying the arbitration costs so HG is throwing this lawsuit at Tatsunoko to make them pay. Which brings up something...if Tatsunoko still refuses to pay and lets the licensing lapse in 2021, then finally decides to pay, the licensing may fall back to Tatsunoko...There's a lot of jumping in there but I'm just wondering out loud.

Posted a shorter video in a different thread, I'll repost here:

Sounds like the Macross license goes back to Tatsunoko in 2021, and it is up to them what they do with it.  Hopefully they will stay far away from HG with it.  What that means for the continued existence of the Robotech license is, I have no idea.

I'd love to see genuine Macross stuff in the US, though.