What will Hasegawa do next?

KOG Water Dragon

28 minutes ago, VF-1A Grunt said:

I think when campaigning for a new model, it’s worth distinguishing between a completely new mold and tooling a few additional parts for a new variation. If you look at the 1/72 VF-1D, I think the fighter version involves about 30 additional parts on two sprues (one solid and one clear), plus decals, of course. Looking at the images here, you can see what was added to the 1/72 kit in the parts diagram from the instructions:

Hasegawa VF-1D

While that’s obviously additional cost, it’s more affordable than tooling a completely new model. It seems like a reasonable investment to offer a new 1/48 fighter variant. I’d like to have the VT-1 and VE-1 in 1/48 also, but those would be completely new models with the addition of the Super parts, which are unique to each of those variants.

That's a good point. Yes, it's curious they haven't done the VF-1D batroid. 

2 hours ago, Bolt said:

That's a good point. Yes, it's curious they haven't done the VF-1D batroid. 

Maybe the battroids didn't sell as well as the fighters? They certainly don't repop the battroids as decal variants anywhere near as much as they do with the fighters. I think it's just the Minmei Guard and the Operation Bullseye Armored VF-1s?

15 minutes ago, KOG Water Dragon said:

Maybe the battroids didn't sell as well as the fighters? They certainly don't repop the battroids as decal variants anywhere near as much as they do with the fighters. I think it's just the Minmei Guard and the Operation Bullseye Armored VF-1s?

True. The minmei Guard is one of my favorites. But I'm sad to say I don't have it! Although i do have the decals in 1/72 and 1/48. They really went all in on Armored battroids recently. That's been really cool. But I'm still holding my breath for a re pop of the 1/72 SVF-41 Black Aces Super Valkyrie, and the VF-19A SVF-440 Dullahan..!

Edited by Bolt

On 1/28/2023 at 11:38 AM, KOG Water Dragon said:

I bet it’s a mix of issues. They’re a company that specializes in real world models. They do a good job of robots, but their offerings feel more like late 80’s kits rather than modern Bandai or even wave kits. The recent regult feels light years ahead of their battroid even though it still feels a decade behind the other companies. They have a bit of a jiggle to them that you don’t get with other companies.
Their production is much slower than other companies as well and things like poly caps are a rarity. They are getting better at what they’re doing with them, but with other companies like Wave or Bandai or now even with Max Factory doing a battroid VF-1 in 1/72 scale they may be backing off due to competition Since the majority of the modern kit builders may prefer an easier build over what many see as an outdated model

I hope Hasegawa ups their game. They definitely still look committed to Macross, and their variable mecha. The funny thing is, i have so many models, mostly Hasegawa, that I'm focusing more on building what i have & scoring a few holy grails. More so than buying newer versions of what I already have from other companies and adding to the storage. At this point , something has to come along that's extraordinary, for me to chase it down. 
Of course, having said that, if Hasegawa (or anyone else) came out with something different, I'd probably pull the trigger. Lol 

1 hour ago, Bolt said:

I hope Hasegawa ups their game. They definitely still look committed to Macross, and their variable mecha. The funny thing is, i have so many models, mostly Hasegawa, that I'm focusing more on building what i have & scoring a few holy grails. More so than buying newer versions of what I already have from other companies and adding to the storage. At this point , something has to come along that's extraordinary, for me to chase it down. 
Of course, having said that, if Hasegawa (or anyone else) came out with something different, I'd probably pull the trigger. Lol 

They definitely are getting better at the mecha side of things even if they’re a bit behind the times. As far as the VF-1, their biggest competition would be Max Factory since their fighter and battroid are 1/72 scale. I’d probably be going straight for the newer ones, but for some reason Max Factory is only doing stickers. I’m probably gonna just go all in on Max Factory if their battroid gets some decent reviews and either find someone to reprint the decals or cannibalize some Hasegawa Valkyries for them.
I do still like the regult series and hope they continue and do the other zentraedi mecha. And hopefully Hasegawa keeps advancing in how they make models. So far Hasegawa is the only model company that’s giving Zentraedi mecha a chance.

• 4 weeks later...

Hasegawa May announcements and there's nothing new Macross. But guess what's getting a re-release?

Reactive Armor VF-0S Battroid: http://www.hasegawa-model.co.jp/product/21-2/

So if you recently got the VF-1 Armored Valkyrie but have been missing the chunky "predecessor" now's your chance!

Also getting repops:

1/72 VF-0A/S with Ghost: http://www.hasegawa-model.co.jp/product/65777/

1/72 VF-1J Max & Milia combo: http://www.hasegawa-model.co.jp/product/65763/

1/72 YF-21: http://www.hasegawa-model.co.jp/product/11/

• 3 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, Bolt said:

I know Hasegawa isn't crazy about battroids, but I really need a 1/72 VF-4 in battroid mode. At this rate , Bandai might beat them to it..

If it’s Bandai, it probably would be in their new hg 1/100 line if it’s a kit and possibly 1/48 if it’s dx, but who knows, there’s been some surprises all around lately. Maybe wave will do a battroid to go with their fighter or max factory may jump in

22 minutes ago, Big s said:

If it’s Bandai, it probably would be in their new hg 1/100 line if it’s a kit and possibly 1/48 if it’s dx, but who knows, there’s been some surprises all around lately. Maybe wave will do a battroid to go with their fighter or max factory may jump in

I think I'd rather Wave did it. Bandai has two VF-4's with their HMR line, I figure they won't double dip with their 1/100 scale on those. But , like you said, who knows..

• 3 weeks later...

That's pretty cool. It's great news seeing them update their battroid design. So the head slides back.? Hopefully Max will be soon to come. Either way, i can see getting a few of these for custom jobs.

Edited by Bolt

@TMBounty_Hunter Thanks for the news!

Part of me is happy that we're getting new releases of SDFM related subjects but part of me is upset that they keep screwing them up. First, they screwed up the TV version of the SDF-1 and now they release a battroid with the arm armors still in the wrong shape. Also, the hands need to be "beefier". 

They're moving in the right direction, though. I guess I shouldn't be too critical. The waist rotation feature looks pretty cool to help with the poses. I'm surprised it's not an either/or release of Max/Millia. That seemed like it would've been a given.

Some of those rereleases look pretty tempting as well. I wonder if the 1D gerwalk rerelease will include the little resin figures.

3 hours ago, Bolt said:

That's pretty cool. It's great news seeing them update their battroid design. So the head slides back.? Hopefully Max will be soon to come. Either way, i can see getting a few of these for custom jobs.

I kinda wonder if it just means that the head mounts further back.

Edited by Big s
Just saw the description on hobbysearch and it does say the head is mounted further back

13 hours ago, Gabe Q said:

I'm surprised it's not an either/or release of Max/Millia. That seemed like it would've been a given.

Look at it this way: If Max and Milia are separate releases that means we get TWO new piece of Tenjin Hidetaka boxart :D

Seriously looking forward to this art.

52 minutes ago, TMBounty_Hunter said:

Look at it this way: If Max and Milia are separate releases that means we get TWO new piece of Tenjin Hidetaka boxart :D

Very good point!

3 hours ago, TMBounty_Hunter said:

I was thinking the same myself. To be honest, I don't really like kits that allow multiple options out of one box... I always wind up getting multiples that have the same box art, when I could have had multiple different cover artworks to enjoy. 🤣

16 hours ago, Gabe Q said:

@TMBounty_Hunter Thanks for the news!

Part of me is happy that we're getting new releases of SDFM related subjects but part of me is upset that they keep screwing them up. First, they screwed up the TV version of the SDF-1 and now they release a battroid with the arm armors still in the wrong shape. Also, the hands need to be "beefier". 

They're moving in the right direction, though. I guess I shouldn't be too critical. The waist rotation feature looks pretty cool to help with the poses. I'm surprised it's not an either/or release of Max/Millia. That seemed like it would've been a given.

Some of those rereleases look pretty tempting as well. I wonder if the 1D gerwalk rerelease will include the little resin figures.

I actually...  really don't like these new rounded hands. I'm hoping this kit still includes the original battroid hands as an option.

I'm going to want all my battroid hands to match each other, and I'd rather not have to buy 'donor' kits to replace the hands with the original style.

1 hour ago, TMBounty_Hunter said:

The hands on the original kit are on the G runner with the gunpod. I don't really see them redoing the gunpod so chances are you'll get the old one and a new runner for the new ones.

Ah good. That probably applies to the Armored VF-1 kits as well then, I would think? Assuming they come with a gunpod.

I haven't been able to look at an Armored VF-1 kit yet - mine are still sitting over in HLJ's warehouse.

I get the idea of updating the old battroid kit, but not sure if the upgrades in the hip will add much range of movement. I kinda remember the high thigh, intakes being almost right up against the wings. I guess if the wings are unfolded, it probably would help.

IIRC, these are all updates carried over from the Armored VF-1 kit. The nose cone joint should see more utility here than on the Armored, where it was almost comical how the Armor parts completely negated the new rotation. The Armored kit also included the older (better-sculpted) hands, so I don't see that being any different here.

2 hours ago, kajnrig said:

IIRC, these are all updates carried over from the Armored VF-1 kit. The nose cone joint should see more utility here than on the Armored, where it was almost comical how the Armor parts completely negated the new rotation. The Armored kit also included the older (better-sculpted) hands, so I don't see that being any different here.

I kinda think that unless the wings are unfolded that the waist rotation will be equally as comical