What will Hasegawa do next?

KOG Water Dragon

1 hour ago, Urashiman said:

I feel like on a star wars board, discussing about the proper scale of TIE fighters. They change size from scene to scene as well.

It‘s no use to discuss this. There is no right or wrong here.

Speaking of Star Wars, I saw this on FB yesterday (Macross Fan Central) and had to chuckle. Both are 1/100 scale.

image.png.078dda17817862a02fd40ba099fb7b16.png

9 hours ago, Gabe Q said:

The only thing I think we all agree on is that official stats do not work.

Official stats at least give us a fixed standard, an idea of what "reality" is supposed to be, such that a scale can be determined at all. It's as tenuous a definition as the standard kilogram until recently, wont to be changed and ignored on a whim, but it's still a standard.

6 hours ago, Podtastic said:

Anyway the kits not being in scale isnt an issue because its always understood that the larger size pod wouldnt be practical as a kit toy

You seem invested in the official stats for some reason. If you want to see it as being in scale then do so. You dont have to right a long post as to why I'm wrong just because I have a different view.

Your idea of scale here is rooted entirely in subjective perception, is all, yet you talk about it as if it's an objective observation. I mean sure, the source material itself plays fast and loose with size all the time... which is an argument that goes both ways... and it often depicts anything Zentraedi as being larger than it necessarily is... for dramatic effect... and it even makes sense that it should be larger than it is, (...but i mean it's also just as reasonable to assume that zentraedi undergo a micronization every time they pilot a vehicle but a;lskjdf;asldkjfaklsdjflkasjdfl;sjdf) but that aside, the source material also goes out of its way to provide fixed values that these things are "supposed" to adhere to. Grousing about how it's "not in scale" when it is therefore seems like an exercise in futility.

Grousing about the official size itself is another thing entirely, and honestly I'd agree for many of the same reasons... but the scale is correct. Like, when I realized how small the VF-1 is compared to nearly every other VF, I didn't think to myself, "Wow, the VF-1 isn't to scale." I thought, "Wow, the VF-1 is WAY smaller than I thought it was." I'd go on to say that maybe they should resize the VF-1 to be more like the VF-0, which would make sense in-universe AND bring it more in line with the other VFs AND bring it more in line with its real-world inspirations AND would really help to open up that frickin' teeny tiny cockpit. But I wouldn't say it's "not to scale."

;lksadfklajsdf;lakjfds but anyway, everyone else is right, this debate is useless, it is what it is, I'm leaving well enough alone now. Cheerio. :lol:

1 hour ago, Anasazi37 said:

Speaking of Star Wars, I saw this on FB yesterday (Macross Fan Central) and had to chuckle. Both are 1/100 scale.

Isn't an AT-AT supposed to be something like 20 met--ohhhhh. Just googled it. Yeah, no, that's a frickin' nightmare. Am I seriously reading that right? Anywhere between 10 and 25 meters tall? :lol:

1 hour ago, Anasazi37 said:

Oh. I saw that too. Hilarious 😆. But wait ! You can't put those together! They're not to scale ! 😜

I do feel that as I said before that the scale argument will just be an argument. I do think the best way to describe it may be as personally preferred scale. 

Like maybe someone could start by saying that it appears a bit short for their preferred scale, and maybe give the example of that scale. Like the above comment said the scale issue is all over the place and there is no real right or wrong here.

On 12/31/2021 at 10:15 AM, Anasazi37 said:

That is TOOOooooo funny! The two franchises coming together could cause a break in the space-time continuum!🤣 - MT

So after a quick build-up of the legs:

- It seems pretty much as I remember it. You CAN, strictly speaking, snapfit nearly everything on the legs - even small detail parts. It'll hold together without masking tape. That said, cement/putty is still strongly recommended.

- The old, original battroid parts are a lot of "two halves sandwiching a polycap, big ol' seam line running down the middle," and pretty much require cement/putty. The Armored parts are clearly designed with snapfit assembly and minimal seams in mind, and don't require cement/putty. A bit of a generational whiplash, transitioning between the two.

- The instructions will have you cut off a connector on an original battroid part - the "heel"/"rear vector nozzle." Not hard at all, just might surprise someone who's used to gunpla.

- Only two TRULY finnicky parts: the battroid knee cap, and the Armored knee cap. Both still, strictly-speaking, can snap-fit into place, but come loose easily and probably should be glued into place.

- I did not try to snap-fit two clear pieces on the leg Armored part; it seems they can be pressed into place (but there's no way to get them back out without drilling into the detail beneath).

EDIT:

Moving onto the hips:

- The little prongs that spike out from the bottom of the nose cone (what are those, anyway? what purpose do similar surfaces have on real-world aircraft?) definitely require glue, so there goes the pretense of a snap-fit kit.

- The newly-introduced hip swivel is so minimal (5 degrees of total rotation) that they needn't have bothered at all and could have designed the Armored parts around the original nose cone. (Probably there are additional reasons for a dedicated Armored nose, but just noting that added articulation isn't one of them.)

Edited by kajnrig

IMO it's intended to be put together with cement. A few of the instructions specifically point out no glue ( as the assumption is glue is being used on everything else) for that awesome 5 degree rotation @kajnrig mentioned. I was wondering what the point was also. Lol. Well , every little bit helps for that perfect pose !

Also , as you mentioned, the batroid knee cap is not gonna stay on without cement. Getting that leg back on the armor after attaching said knee cap is gonna be tight..

My armored knee cap is nice and snug, as the two armored sides sandwich it well , on my particular kit. 
Overall i love this kit. And there are no big surprises , if you're familiar with Hasegawa kits.  
The Regult is going to be interesting. Looking forward to checking it out. I still need my VF-1S Strike in gerwalk mode too.!

2 hours ago, Bolt said:

IMO it's intended to be put together with cement.

I agree; I figured it would be as such. Some folks were wondering so I figured I'd give an impression as soon as I could. I just wish I'd had time to add pics to the post as well to clarify my points, lol. (I'm snapping it together as much as possible at work, then I'll finish it off at home.)

2 hours ago, Bolt said:

Also , as you mentioned, the batroid knee cap is not gonna stay on without cement. Getting that leg back on the armor after attaching said knee cap is gonna be tight..

Yeah, going by the instructions it looks to be a major hassle. But it should be simple enough if you leave the Armor panels for last, since they simply snap into place. Assemble the leg sans Armor and knee, attach the knee to the leg, glue on the knee cap, and then snap on the Armor around that.

That's my initial thought, anyway. Typically I would want to cement the Armor parts together, which would necessitate any number of creative assembly options for the parts being encased by them, but they seem to fit nicely at first glance with no need for any seam removal.

Anyway, can't agree more about loving the kit. It's been too long since I've built a Hasegawa model. They're always fun, even if I'm too lazy sometimes to do what they need me to do. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Saw that a few of the VF-31 Walkurie versions were restocked last month.

Can anyone confirm that the idol versions of the kits included the original waterslides with the kit?

I still need Arad/Chuck's kits to complete delta squadron. Buying it at msrp for $35 sounds much better than an original kit 2nd hand prices which are above double the cost $$$

14 hours ago, Rock said:

Can anyone confirm that the idol versions of the kits included the original waterslides with the kit?

I still need Arad/Chuck's kits to complete delta squadron. Buying it at msrp for $35 sounds much better than an original kit 2nd hand prices which are above double the cost $$$

I can't confirm 100% since I don't have the kits in front of me right now, but I would think not.

Both the original decal sheet and idol version decal sheet are big decal sheets. Wouldn't make sense to include both since most people would be buying the kit for the idol version. Hasegawa does decal variant releases all the time and they pretty much never include the decals from the standard release.

55 minutes ago, KOG Water Dragon said:

I can't confirm 100% since I don't have the kits in front of me right now, but I would think not.

Both the original decal sheet and idol version decal sheet are big decal sheets. Wouldn't make sense to include both since most people would be buying the kit for the idol version. Hasegawa does decal variant releases all the time and they pretty much never include the decals from the standard release.

15 hours ago, Rock said:

At least the Bandai VF-31J Deculture ver includes the normal stickers/decals, according to the images over at hobby search: https://1999.co.jp/eng/image/10457039/40/4

Also I can confirm the SV-262 Deculture version (white mikumo version) includes the non-deculture sticker/decal sheets, as I have it.

15 hours ago, Rock said:

Aww man ... hoped to get a hasegawa VF-31C Mirage version. Unfortunately that is discontinued.

13 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

At least the Bandai VF-31J Deculture ver includes the normal stickers/decals, according to the images over at hobby search: https://1999.co.jp/eng/image/10457039/40/4

Also I can confirm the SV-262 Deculture version (white mikumo version) includes the non-deculture sticker/decal sheets, as I have it.

Aren't those kinda different? In that the idol art is overlaid on top of the original scheme, so you NEED the original markings (if you don't paint everything instead) plus the idol decals to overlay on top. You have to use the old markings even when doing the deculture scheme... is that right?

But the Hasegawa Walkure planes are different - the idol schemes are all new and don't really re-use much of anything from the original schemes. So you don't need the original markings to complete the idol version.

Do I have this right? I'm not at home so I can't check my kits right now.

6 minutes ago, KOG Water Dragon said:

Aren't those kinda different? In that the idol art is overlaid on top of the original scheme, so you NEED the original markings (if you don't paint everything instead) plus the idol decals to overlay on top. You have to use the old markings even when doing the deculture scheme... is that right?

But the Hasegawa Walkure planes are different - the idol schemes are all new and don't really re-use much of anything from the original schemes. So you don't need the original markings to complete the idol version.

Do I have this right? I'm not at home so I can't check my kits right now.

Ah, forgot this was the Hasegawa thread, not sure about those but easy enough to check the images on hobby search to see what's in there.

[edit] Here's the only decal sheet on the Mikumo version: https://1999.co.jp/eng/image/10662574/40/3

Edited by Sanity is Optional

"Regult - Standard Type" in big letters. I can hardly wait for the other types. Hasegawa milks their molds like dairy farmers. I'm SURE there will be more versions coming soon too! - MT

• 2 weeks later...

Hasegawa is REALLY stepping up their game! I was VERY impressed to see how they have taken a bunch of their newer kits and basically made them like gun-pla. It will help bring in more model builders to the hobby and it makes building easier on those who have been doing it for years. I'm also loving the various color parts sprues. The parts fit, even on weird shaped parts is incredible too.

Unless you guys miss all that puttying and sanding!:D - MT