What will Hasegawa do next?

KOG Water Dragon

On 12/23/2021 at 11:01 PM, Podtastic said:

Can you confirm whether it is snapfit?

I would be very surprised if it were.

None of Hase's other Macross offerings are

Wow. It certainly looks snap fitty. Though i imagine there will be some gluing, filling and sanding for that perfect look. 
The video points out many of the seams you end up with. And also how it's a bit floppy once assembled. Another thing. The missile doors all have replacements or hinges that are added for them to be open. You have to swap them out. They do not open and close otherwise. 

Edited by Bolt

11 hours ago, Podtastic said:

You do know that the Regult is right?

I did not.

46 minutes ago, KOG Water Dragon said:

I'm confused: is the Armored battroid all new parts, or a mix of old battroid parts plus new armor parts?

I'd have thought anything left over from the original battroid kit would be glue-only, with only the newly made armor parts possibly being snap-fit.

I think the original Battroid kit was intended to be snap fit. From what I've seen, it holds together just fine without glue. So, any parts used from the original kit will also be snap-fit.

The kit will have seams all over the place though so it will require glue, putty, and paint to look nice. 

2 hours ago, Gabe Q said:

I think the original Battroid kit was intended to be snap fit. From what I've seen, it holds together just fine without glue. So, any parts used from the original kit will also be snap-fit.

The kit will have seams all over the place though so it will require glue, putty, and paint to look nice. 

Ah, didn't know that about the original battroid. Any idea if that's true for the VF-0 battroid as well?

From my vague memories of building it, the VF-1 battroid has plenty of peg-and-socket connections, but it's mostly for alignment purposes and will only very loosely hold together if it holds together at all. The same holds true for the VF-0, which I have fresher memories of. I could test fit everything, and some (maybe even most) parts were able to be snap-fitted, but I remember still needing masking tape... Man, now I want to build more VF-1 and VF-0 battroids again. :lol:

From the quick build video above, it seems that the majority of reused parts can be encased or sandwiched by the new, indeed snap-fit parts... so you prooobably don't need glue for them unless you want to deal with seam lines.

My package is still going through customs, but I'll confirm as soon as I can.

Oh, that again. I thought you thought they were literally not to scale.

I can see where you're coming from. It's more of a "feels correct" than "is correct" thing. I think it's great-looking, and the lack of a transformation (and, to a lesser degree, anime magic) allows them to stick closer to "reality" than with the VF-1. I suppose your only easy - well, "easy" - recourse is to go for the Moscato resin kit instead... or maybe the old Bandai(/Imai?) kit? Anyone know how that one sizes up, roughly?

The scale arguments will never satisfy anyone. There are those on the anime scale side that has a division between those scenes where the Zentradi are as tall as the Valkyrie, which makes perfect sense since Max was able to easily wear a uniform over his 1a. And there are scenes where the Glaug looks the same size as a battroid as well. And then there are those that go by the line art that make some Zentradi barely taller than the hip compared to others, so the mecha ends up a bit between the anime scales. I kinda think the designers and animators didn’t have a real scale at all and were just told to make things big, but not given enough specific dimensions to go on. As far as the regult kit, it looks good and found an interesting way to hide its joints so I’m sure I’ll be happy. There are scenes and design pictures that make it look wider and some as thin as this. There are just too many inconsistencies with the old school dimensions to make a huge judgement. The way I see it is that if it’s too small for someone to feel comfortable with other 1/72 kits, then maybe display it on its own or with the 1/100 ones. And if that’s still not good enough maybe use it with the tomy tech ones, but that’s getting a bit extreme 

But... clearly it is. In scale, that is.

"Come up to the Regult's knee"? A VF-1 should come up to a Regult's knee???

Do you think the Regult is (or should be) 30 to 40 meters tall or something? And that thus a 1/72 model kit is/should be nearly half a meter tall?

Even allowing for the vagaries of anime magic, the size of the model still comes out to be in the right ballpark. Perusing the first couple episodes of SDFM, it jumps around in size all the time, from roughly the same size as the VF-1 to maaaybe, charitably, twice as tall. And looking through some scenes from the first episode of Delta, the modified Regults are right around the same height as the VF-31s, which tracks with official stats.

The scale is objectively correct. It's correct as far as the official stats are concerned. It's correct as far as the math is concerned. It's correct as far as the majority of the animation is concerned. (Or maybe not, the animation on that first show was... eeeuuuggghhh. But you get my point.)

The only way in which it isn't correct is as far as your emotional memory of it is concerned. I imagine you want it bigger (significantly bigger, apparently) simply because that makes it more intimidating relative to the VF-1, which is how you remember it, and which is - and here's the twist you might not have expected - a totally reasonable ask, considering the VF-1 was handled with a similar "fast and loose" approach to its proportions and size and such for the sake of making it look "best" in each of its three modes.

But just don't mistake your subjective aesthetic desires for objectivity.

Edited by kajnrig

I don't know why the topic of scale continues to come up. I thought the consensus was that the animation is wildly inconsistent and that any argument that uses a specific scene as evidence can be easily countered by a different scene.

Example: The first scene shows Roy and company pushing a pod and it seems to support @Podtastic's scale. The second shows the battroid as much larger in relation to the pod. The only thing I think we all agree on is that official stats do not work.Battroid2.jpg.eb591b8ba8515319e067fb1a86bd621e.jpg

Battroid.jpg.ea0c1b0bfafb0bb7d632db6b097ad82f.jpg

3 hours ago, kajnrig said:

But... clearly it is. In scale, that is.

"Come up to the Regult's knee"? A VF-1 should come up to a Regult's knee???

Do you think the Regult is (or should be) 30 to 40 meters tall or something? And that thus a 1/72 model kit is/should be nearly half a meter tall?

Even allowing for the vagaries of anime magic, the size of the model still comes out to be in the right ballpark. Perusing the first couple episodes of SDFM, it jumps around in size all the time, from roughly the same size as the VF-1 to maaaybe, charitably, twice as tall. And looking through some scenes from the first episode of Delta, the modified Regults are right around the same height as the VF-31s, which tracks with official stats.

The scale is objectively correct. It's correct as far as the official stats are concerned. It's correct as far as the math is concerned. It's correct as far as the majority of the animation is concerned. (Or maybe not, the animation on that first show was... eeeuuuggghhh. But you get my point.)

The only way in which it isn't correct is as far as your emotional memory of it is concerned. I imagine you want it bigger (significantly bigger, apparently) simply because that makes it more intimidating relative to the VF-1, which is how you remember it, and which is - and here's the twist you might not have expected - a totally reasonable ask, considering the VF-1 was handled with a similar "fast and loose" approach to its proportions and size and such for the sake of making it look "best" in each of its three modes.

But just don't mistake your subjective aesthetic desires for objectivity.

Actually I base it on the numerous scenes in SDFM where a Zentraedi soldier is shown eye to eye or mb a head shorter to a battroid.

And

A scene in Delta where a Zentraedi soldier comes up ro a Regult's knee.

Plus

The reasonable conclusion I would think that:

. Mistakes in scale would be less likely when comparing 2 humanoid figures than with a non-humanoid figure 

. The pilot is more likely to fit

. Max's Batrroid was able to fit in a Zentraedi uniform

. Nonsense about Klan being larger than other Zentraedi can also be eliminatedetc

Anyway the kits not being in scale isnt an issue because its always understood that the larger size pod wouldnt be practical as a kit toy

You seem invested in the official stats for some reason. If you want to see it as being in scale then do so. You dont have to right a long post as to why I'm wrong just because I have a different view.

Edited by Podtastic