What will Hasegawa do next?

KOG Water Dragon

The way the armor is, I would be surprised if there were much movement in the knees. There is a bit of space to do some articulation, but I don’t know if hasegawa would go through that much trouble. It would probably require some kind of extending mechanism to get any major knee bends, but I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

I think Hasegawa designers continue to prove themselves as extremely lazy and shallow when at work on Macross stuff. They design every kit as a piece on itself. There is no coherence in their kits. The Regult looks good but is definitely too small, more like a 1/100 than a 1/72. Also the armored vf-1j has some critical points: hands are horrible, arms armours are too flat and battroid forearms could not fit inside them, just look at Arcadia version. Also the armour over the feet looks too wide and the battroid parts under it too. Very ugly, the first time i saw it i thought it was Kids logic version.

If the regult is more like 1/100 scale, I wouldn’t be too disappointed. I would just use it with the wave kits.

As far as the armored Valkyrie, it’s not perfect, because of the way they are making compromises between the idea that their Valkyrie would be designed for that armor instead of using anime magic to enlarge the feet and hands. I think since they are more of a realistic model company, they chose a route of consistency rather than fantasy. It probably wouldn’t be too difficult to find and modify some rounded gundam hands and add some plastic sheet to widen and lengthen the feet. I have a feeling we’ll be seeing some cool customs of it after it gets released 

The way I see it, the non-transforming kits like Hasegawa get to prioritize on-screen accuracy without having to make allowances for "anime magic" like the Yamato YF-21 did.

When this happens with an anime so wildly inconsistent with scale and spacing like SDFM/DYRL, it's never going to please everyone. Especially the Regult which runs straight into the wildly inconsistent sizing of the pods themselves and the Zentradi piloting them.

49 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

The way I see it, the non-transforming kits like Hasegawa get to prioritize on-screen accuracy without having to make allowances for "anime magic" like the Yamato YF-21 did.

When this happens with an anime so wildly inconsistent with scale and spacing like SDFM/DYRL, it's never going to please everyone. Especially the Regult which runs straight into the wildly inconsistent sizing of the pods themselves and the Zentradi piloting them.

giphy.gif

The Regult looks great.

All SDFM Zentraedi mecha look great.

Hasegawa should release all of them as snapfit kits 

7 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Regult which runs straight into the wildly inconsistent sizing of the pods themselves and the Zentradi piloting them.

As far as I am concerned a Zentraedi soldier and a Battroid should be eye to eye, and both should come up to the Regult's knee joint.

I have to wonder if those sizing inconsistencies arent simply a result of them not wanting their beloved "hero mecha" to look as insignificant, in comparison to the Zentraedi mecha, as they logically should.

47 minutes ago, Podtastic said:

The Regult looks great.

All SDFM Zentraedi mecha look great.

Hasegawa should release all of them as snapfit kits 

As far as I am concerned a Zentraedi soldier and a Battroid should be eye to eye, and both should come up to the Regult's knee joint.

I have to wonder if those sizing inconsistencies arent simply a result of them not wanting their beloved "hero mecha" to look as insignificant, in comparison to the Zentraedi mecha, as they logically should.

That's the thing, officially the Zentradi soldiers are more like 2/3rds of the Regult height than 1/2.

1 hour ago, Sanity is Optional said:

That's the thing, officially the Zentradi soldiers are more like 2/3rds of the Regult height than 1/2.

"Officially" is often nonsense and should be ignored wherever appropriate.

And thats not only applicable to Macross .

In Star Wars an AT-AT is a  officially a mere 15m tall, contradicting the much larger size indicated on screen by a rappelling Luke Skywalker.

A small moon sized Deathstar has a hopelessly tiny garrison of 25 000 Stormtroopers.

One of the reasons I laugh at people who are hidebound by cannon. 

On 11/19/2021 at 9:20 PM, KOG Water Dragon said:

Wow, I was away from the forum for a few weeks and got slammed by both the 1/48 Black Aces release and the Regult announcement! Expense couple of months for me, with the Armored Valkyrie and Sonic Birds as well. I'm thrilled to see Hasegawa continuing to support this line.

I'm pretty blown away by the Regult announcement. I had thrown the idea out here before as a "wish" but never thought Hasegawa would venture there. It's definitely a big step away from the aircraft theme that allowed them to initially venture into the Macross line. I would love to see a taller / bigger Regult model than this one appears to be, but I'm too excited about a high quality, up-to-date Regult kit after so many years since the old kits appeared. I've followed the many discussions about anime magic and relative scale in the shows and movies, and it seems like most model manufacturers opt for slightly models of the enemy mecha that can be justified with canon measurement references and allow them to produce smaller kits.

I've wanted to buy a few RTKF Regult kits but have been trying to be more careful about my hobby budget in the last couple years. I think I'm also more likely to actually finish one of these simpler kits too. I ordered three Regults and will see how they stack up. As others said, although I don't normally model 1/100, I'll order a Wave Battroid to go with these Regults if they look too small for 1/72.

Edited by VF-1A Grunt

7 hours ago, Podtastic said:

What mean this?

It means 'nevermind'.

I posted a box art image for the new 1/48 Sonic Birds kit, but then I realized someone else already had. So I wanted to delete my post, but I couldn't figure out how. So I just deleted what I wrote and replaced it with 'nevermind'.

Edited by KOG Water Dragon

2 minutes ago, Gabe Q said:

The Regult is showing as "Order Stop" at HLJ. I hope this a good sign as far as future releases of enemy designs!

https://www.hlj.com/1-72-scale-regult-standard-mass-production-type-macross-tentative-hsg31

Regult.jpg.1bc4355206f35f99e81d4a4f57b9eb85.jpg

I wonder how many maxed out their orders. It allowed you to order up to 20, which I would have done had I gotten my 20 decent sized Gurabs for them to engage.

So I think the knee joints are here part #2 and 3 and it looks like it has one point of articulation towards the back and one at the front and there’s a deep notch cut into the front to allow even more space to bend. I’d have to see the instructions to get a better look, but I think it’s just clever folding of each joint segment. There appears to be a quadruple knee joint as opposed to the Bandai double 

297DF238-8899-499F-86D5-4348D9461770.png

Yeah, I’m impressed with what I’m seeing. It looks great and poses well, it may be too small and may be on new years diet from too much turkey, but compared to some of the line art it looks great. I was just looking at some of the line art and most of the regults are kinda from the front angle and don’t look out of place with the kit. Other art and screen shots make the new kit look a bit thin, but given all the inconsistencies this kit looks like it’s fine and should be fun. It’s a good thing it has a stand Incase any of those joints are a bit weak. Hopefully it’s nice and stable. I can’t wait to get mine in the mail and hope the scout and missile versions come up soon

The VF-1J Armored is now listed as Backordered on HLJ, indicating that it's been released and either HLJ (et al?) simply took on more orders than they received initial stock and/or Hasegawa's production capability was hindered by the pandemic. Did anyone here get their order?

Either way, I'm not worried about getting it in good time. Hopefully this is indicative of demand and not... troubles.

EDIT:

Also, just an FYI, from Hasegawa's JP site (IIRC these listings won't show up on the EN one):

Armored VF-1J 
shipping ... December 17, 2021 (on sale)
Release date ... Around December 22, 2021

Regult
Shipped by our company … February 22, 2022
Release date …… Around February 26, 2022

Edited by kajnrig

I love the hmr. But I think I’ll like the look of the kit more. The knee joints don’t have the Bandai compromise that puts the joint through the armor. And I always feel happier about a kit than a prebuilt toy. I think that the only thing missing on the kit is an opening cockpit, but I was more worried about the articulation before seeing the crouching pictures. Now the worry is that with all those extra tiny joints in the knee construction, will it be able to hold the weight? I would hate to snap off one of the guns or multiples

21 hours ago, kajnrig said:

The VF-1J Armored is now listed as Backordered on HLJ, indicating that it's been released and either HLJ (et al?) simply took on more orders than they received initial stock and/or Hasegawa's production capability was hindered by the pandemic. Did anyone here get their order?

Either way, I'm not worried about getting it in good time. Hopefully this is indicative of demand and not... troubles.

EDIT:

Also, just an FYI, from Hasegawa's JP site (IIRC these listings won't show up on the EN one):

Armored VF-1J 
shipping ... December 17, 2021 (on sale)
Release date ... Around December 22, 2021

Regult
Shipped by our company … February 22, 2022
Release date …… Around February 26, 2022

HLJ just processed payment for my armored 1J and it's now ready to ship. Their warehouse must be bursting at the seams due to customers' Private Warehouse stashes because I keep getting email reminders that they are taking 20% off shipping right now.

2 hours ago, Anasazi37 said:

HLJ just processed payment for my armored 1J and it's now ready to ship. Their warehouse must be bursting at the seams due to customers' Private Warehouse stashes because I keep getting email reminders that they are taking 20% off shipping right now.

Also just got the same notice , very excited !

Yeah, I'm actually a bit embarrassed. I asked HLJ if they had an ETA on restock, and something like an hour after their response, my order of 2 came in. Can't wait for them to arrive in hopefully a week or so!

Looking at the scans - thanks, @TMBounty_Hunter! - I'm glad to see that, while they're unused, the original hands are included as part of the recycled runners. I'm really not sure what they were aiming for with these renewed hands; they look like a weird mishmash of the marshmallow hands in some of the line art and the techy hands in others, and the left hand in particular is so... flat. I have to wonder what source material they based those hands on.

The lack of original forearm/calf parts, replaced as they are instead by dedicated Armored parts, makes me wonder: Did Hasegawa specially size the Super parts for each mode, as well? I've built a Super fighter and Super battroid, but years apart, and I assumed they used the same Super runners for all three modes. It never even occurred to me that they might have created differently-proportioned Supers for the different modes... but of course they must have, because the same Super runners couldn't possibly fit three different sets of proportions well. Is that the case? If so, that's some serious dedication to their craft.