What will Hasegawa do next?

KOG Water Dragon

On 10/13/2021 at 2:57 AM, Urashiman said:

Well - for the VF-X they need to change the mold drastically. I mean, they need to update the panel line design, as the VF-X to VF-1 panel lines are super different.

There need to be new molds as well, for the arms. The VF-X had no arms.

VF-X

vf-x.gif.e59d4ca95459c9c40b0cb6b2740e159c.gif

VF-1

unnamed.gif.a87e819aac978a8902c5c4590d275f72.gif

I would forgive them the panel lines in exchange for the head/arms insert/replacement piece on the VF-X.

The insert piece should be doable... heck, they did resin parts for for the VF-11D's camera-pod and the VF-1EX cockpits... The extra vents I can paint, I can sand off the extra lumps and bumps on the VF-1... and I'll scribe my own panel lines If it bothers me later:lol: lol ;)

and while they're at it, they can fix the 1/72nds leg droop :5:

If Hasegawa did either the Patlabor F-15J Kai, or the F-302 Dragon II I would buy many.

11 hours ago, electric indigo said:

HMA Garage has announced a 1/72 F-15 Kai, so let's see how that goes. The 1/144 kits look quite good, just a little drag in the price to weight ratio...

My wallet is devastated at the news!!:lol:

The 1/144 kit is a sweet little thing.

yes it's on the pricey-side, but honestly it's 3x better than I was expecting.

On 10/21/2021 at 4:24 PM, 505thAirborne said:

FCM80M4VgAIzlkz.jpg.0b91589567ab052aa7369528124124c9.jpg

This looks really good, I have no more room kits & their boxes but yeah I may have to get a few. 

Please have stronger hips and shoulders!!  PLEASE!

23 minutes ago, peter said:

Please have stronger hips and shoulders!!  PLEASE!

This in every way!! I love the Hasegawa VF-0S/A Battroid kit but damn those hips. 

I've never built a Hasegawa VF-1 Battroid kit, I take it those hips are bad too? 

8 minutes ago, 505thAirborne said:

This in every way!! I love the Hasegawa VF-0S/A Battroid kit but damn those hips. 

I've never built a Hasegawa VF-1 Battroid kit, I take it those hips are bad too? 

I built one OOB just to test it out years ago. And yes, it's bad enough that it can't support the weight of the kit. Mine is a Strike VF-1S. :( 

Hmmm... :unsure:

Well here's having that crazy thing called "Hope" that Hasegawa has redesigned those hip and apparently shoulder joints. Nothing like all that trouble to assemble a kit and paint it only to watch it snap apart. 

Come on Hasegawa, don't Frak this one up!! 

51 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

I built one OOB just to test it out years ago. And yes, it's bad enough that it can't support the weight of the kit. Mine is a Strike VF-1S. :( 

I built a plain 1S and after posing it a few times, the shoulder broke and the hip broke.  

For my next battroid, I'm just going to build, pose once and leave it alone on the shelf.

For multiple poses, I guess I'll just stick to my toys

I wasn't into modding... yet. But I'm guessing we can replace the joints with something more sturdier or strengthen it somehow? But yeah, with years of building Gundam kits OOB, I believe Hasegawa's is more of a display kit. You plan ahead what the pose is going to be and have it build that way.

1 hour ago, no3Ljm said:

I wasn't into modding... yet. But I'm guessing we can replace the joints with something more sturdier or strengthen it somehow? But yeah, with years of building Gundam kits OOB, I believe Hasegawa's is more of a display kit. You plan ahead what the pose is going to be and have it build that way.

I ended using CA glue to reattach the peg back to the shoulder, but I don't even want to touch my 1/72 much (yeah, I know, I went too gray on the paint). IMG_20211027_140338.jpg.2ecc8bd3c513e07b53a4837204419b73.jpgIMG_20211027_140540.jpg.b7879804a4e21423c8c5af60e73d65d6.jpg

Edited by peter
edited for spelling

1 hour ago, no3Ljm said:

I prefer to rebuild the joints on any kit using ABS and Permatex Plastic Welder; that way,Ii don't have to worry about them breaking later on. Often, i can graft new pegs or blocks right into the existing structure and reinforce/repair it all in one!

17 hours ago, peter said:

I ended using CA glue to reattach the peg back to the shoulder, but I don't even want to touch my 1/72 much (yeah, I know, I went too gray on the paint). IMG_20211027_140338.jpg.2ecc8bd3c513e07b53a4837204419b73.jpgIMG_20211027_140540.jpg.b7879804a4e21423c8c5af60e73d65d6.jpg

The color may not be accurate, but it sure looks dang good! I kind-of prefer the gray rather than white sometimes.

13 hours ago, Thom said:

The color may not be accurate, but it sure looks dang good! I kind-of prefer the gray rather than white sometimes.

Thanks!  Were there any real world fighter craft back in the 80s that were painted white like that for combat operations? 

I wonder why they went with white in the anime, was it just more visible on screen, easier to animate, or because white ink was on sale?  

On 10/29/2021 at 5:58 AM, peter said:

Thanks!  Were there any real world fighter craft back in the 80s that were painted white like that for combat operations? 

I wonder why they went with white in the anime, was it just more visible on screen, easier to animate, or because white ink was on sale?  

Well, theoretically you could also make the argument that "white on-screen" = "silver or aluminium in reality", as that is the case in some other anime series...

OTOH, since it is capable of space flight, there you would actually prefer bright colors (or even better, gold) for thermal reasons in reality.

On 10/31/2021 at 8:34 AM, Salamander said:

Well, theoretically you could also make the argument that "white on-screen" = "silver or aluminium in reality", as that is the case in some other anime series...

OTOH, since it is capable of space flight, there you would actually prefer bright colors (or even better, gold) for thermal reasons in reality.

Ok, I was also thinking that too, they chose white on screen because it was too difficult to portray aluminum.....and also thought about the space shuttle and other real world space craft being white.

On 10/28/2021 at 10:58 PM, peter said:

Were there any real world fighter craft back in the 80s that were painted white like that for combat operations?

Yes. In fact I think they may have had some localized inspiration for the White-ish fighters:

Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd. Global Website | F-4EJ Fighter Plane

JASDF Phantoms are the only "white" fighters that come to mind. They became less white over time:

17-8301 - Japan - Air Self Defence Force Mitsubishi F-4EJ Phantom II at  Gifu AB | Photo ID 1361382 | Airplane-Pictures.net

Their first batches of F-15Js were pretty pale as well:

960x960.jpg

960x960.jpg

Just now, Duymon said:

Sigh.... put down an order for a few of those sonicbirds. What will Hasegawa do next to get my money on yet another 1/48 valk rebox with decals? Minmay 2009?

sad.png.f09bb0b2745b4d4719cff45f5635b762.png

worst thing is I'd buy that too I'm such a sucker for VF-1 decal reboxes

They should do some all singers Itashas on 1/48 as well for Macross celebration from time to time. ;) 

On 10/28/2021 at 8:58 PM, peter said:

Inspired by this maybe?

VF-1-Wolfpack-059.jpg