What will Hasegawa do next?

KOG Water Dragon

9 hours ago, peter said:

I don't mean to toot my own horn,

You deserve to , amigo. I've been enjoying watching your builds. And you've been quite busy at it !
As someone who's working as much on and off the land, appreciate your level of productivity. 

@Thom

Lol, it's true, if you zoom into my work, you can see a lot of seams that I miss.  It's pretty sloppy work compared to you guys.  That being said, once in a while I build something that makes me wonder how the hell I managed to do that.

@pengbuzz

Oh man, that larger DX toy in the picture really needs some personality.  It looks so sterile, lol!  

@wm cheng

Did you weather your DXs?  I was wondering if I had the guts to do that.  I saw a few guys painted their landing gear and bays, did you post any pics of your custom DXs?

@Bolt

Oh man, I stay up all night sometimes and roll into work in my pajamas.....literally since I work from home now.  Compound that with the screaming kids, diaper changes.....I drink gallons of coffee just to stay awake at meetings, lol.....so brutal.

6 minutes ago, peter said:

@Thom

Lol, it's true, if you zoom into my work, you can see a lot of seams that I miss.  It's pretty sloppy work compared to you guys.  That being said, once in a while I build something that makes me wonder how the hell I managed to do that.

@pengbuzz

Oh man, that larger DX toy in the picture really needs some personality.  It looks so sterile, lol!  

@wm cheng

Did you weather your DXs?  I was wondering if I had the guts to do that.  I saw a few guys painted their landing gear and bays, did you post any pics of your custom DXs?

@Bolt

Oh man, I stay up all night sometimes and roll into work in my pajamas.....literally since I work from home now.  Compound that with the screaming kids, diaper changes.....I drink gallons of coffee just to stay awake at meetings, lol.....so brutal.

Well, a wash and some chalk pastels work wonders, my friend.

@peter I do weather them slightly, minimal effort to fit into my collection.  I don't think I've posted them here.  I do paint my gears white (it makes such a difference).  I'll post some group pictures when I do my VF-1D in the next few weeks.

1 hour ago, wm cheng said:

@peter I do weather them slightly, minimal effort to fit into my collection.  I don't think I've posted them here.  I do paint my gears white (it makes such a difference).  I'll post some group pictures when I do my VF-1D in the next few weeks.

Have you ever considered the benefits of a sludge wash?

On 8/13/2021 at 5:20 PM, pengbuzz said:

Have you ever considered the benefits of a sludge wash?

What's a sludge wash?  I do panel wash them with Flory's clay based wash - is that the same thing?

20 hours ago, wm cheng said:

That's exactly what I do - he's even using the Flory clay based wash I've used.  Works great on the Bandai DXs.

Hey @wm cheng. Quick question. Do you apply semi/gloss topcoat first on the Bandai's DX before using the Flory Wash? Thanks!

Nope, just straight on.  It works really well because the bare plastic is so slippery anyways.  I also forgo the clear coat afterwards as well now.  It really stays around, even the pencil smudging seems to hold pretty well - although I don't handle my DXs too roughly and don't transform them too often (maybe 2-3 times a year).  My tip is to vary the wash with different shades of grey, the lightest grey (I often mix my own grey with a white flory wash and grey wash) for the lines on the white part of the plastics, the more the panel opens, the darker the colour till I hit the moveable surfaces with dark grey and vents with black.  It gives more life to the panel wash than just one colour.

Edited by wm cheng

34 minutes ago, wm cheng said:

Nope, just straight on.  It works really well because the bare plastic is so slippery anyways.  I also forgo the clear coat afterwards as well now.  It really stays around, even the pencil smudging seems to hold pretty well - although I don't handle my DXs too roughly and don't transform them too often (maybe 2-3 times a year).  My tip is to vary the wash with different shades of grey, the lightest grey (I often mix my own grey with a white flory wash and grey wash) for the lines on the white part of the plastics, the more the panel opens, the darker the colour till I hit the moveable surfaces with dark grey and vents with black.  It gives more life to the panel wash than just one colour.

Thank you sir! Hope after the move and things gets settled, I can finally start doing some washes on some of my selected Valkyries. ;) 

On 8/16/2021 at 6:12 PM, wm cheng said:

That's exactly what I do - he's even using the Flory clay based wash I've used.  Works great on the Bandai DXs.

Okay. On that note: some some odd reason I thought I was talking with Peter! lol  Been a long week!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2021 at 10:12 AM, wm cheng said:

yep I'm another Flory's user!

On 8/13/2021 at 6:29 PM, peter said:

I don't mean to toot my own horn, my builds look like garbage compared to some of the artists here (ahem Mechtech, WM Cheng, countless others). 

IMG_20210812_232329.jpg.a47db937ffa651f934c4043da26f0cd4.jpg

IMG_20210812_232300.jpg.5c776d9cd109d661b419443ef30bc806.jpg

IMG_20210812_232345.jpg.f765873889c8177f4cd36da76c123348.jpg

But if I'm going to be honest, my little 1/72 Hasegawa builds spark more joy than the 1/48 toys. 

I have a 1/48 Strike Valk in my queue, can't wait to get started on it, but I just need to organize some more display space. 

My DXs are all back in their boxes, lol! 

cut and reposition that launch bar on the nose gear and hook it up to the shuttle

19 minutes ago, 505thAirborne said:

Is this is a first for a 1/72 kit? Pretty sure I've never seen one before. 

At 4,000 yen you could build a small Army of these, I'll be getting a few of these! 

For the GBP? I would assume it is.

I remember seeing Hasegawa VF-1 Battroids kits in the early 2000's. Hikaru's Strike VF-1S; DYRL Super VF-1A Max and Kakizaki; a generic VF-1 that comes with 3 head units (A/J/S); and last is the VF-1S Minmay Guard.

VF-0 Reactive Armor on the other hand, they did it as well.

Edited by no3Ljm

The VF-0 Reactive Armor kit, I'd still like to get one or two of these as well. B))👍

I remember when the Minmay Guard kits came out and I kept hoping for Yamato or Arcadia... now Bandai to make one but yeah, that's probably not going to happen. 

1 hour ago, 505thAirborne said:

The VF-0 Reactive Armor kit, I'd still like to get one or two of these as well. B))👍

I remember when the Minmay Guard kits came out and I kept hoping for Yamato or Arcadia... now Bandai to make one but yeah, that's probably not going to happen. 

Minmay Guard... :wub: 

plrLEWq.jpg.e7310c47fafc0661c4dc8c4e0199684f.jpg

TC3PliC.jpg.a5572a7a372b9f4094112e1c84f8dd12.jpg

GR3Qb0H.jpg.a18eb35c969ac70b113b167c0f26d94f.jpg

From @Roy's Blues custom 1/48 work:

post-867-1182285878_thumb.jpg.bb8c33f8801fb7118995d927ba54844e.jpg

post-867-1182285795_thumb.jpg.37617e5483666dfdd96f2469aa967ba0.jpg

post-867-1182285948_thumb.jpg.96db3a4f27e324594843b768e047c777.jpg